Does the 3 serve have low ridership all the time?

Calvin

During rush hour the (3) could be packed and jammed too.

Of course it can, just not in the same stratosphere as the (2). At cars that are adjacent to exits at Penn and TS, those cars are equally as full and hard to close down. On the (2) 9 cars are just as packed, on the (3), roughly half as much are crowded. That is a relative word though, its not like one can walk into a (3) and expect to sit. You will NOT sit on a (2), however unless you're lucky or are in the last car or two.

If you don't believe the (3) is packed look at the image below.

img_101211.jpg

This is a Manhattan bound R62 (3) train back in 2009 at Atlantic Avenue. Notice how jammed the seats are in both cars. This picture was taken at an off rush hour time. I believe in rush hour this train would be even more crowded.

I'm sorry...with all due respect, but do you call that crowded?

This is crowded:

train-in-shinjuku.jpg

...or this:

crowded_train.jpg

...and how 'bout this:

crowded-train.jpg

Now please, compare those pictures to this one:

img_101211.jpg

I don't care it's off-peak or not: it's just not crowded by any definition of the word.

But hey, you know what they say: (2) is company, (3) is a crowd! :)

Guest lance25

I'll give you that one, but just because a train is not crowded at one station, it doesn't mean it's crowded at another. Like TwoTimer stated, the (3) is the (2)'s backup line since the latter does see some very large crowds, even outside of Manhattan.

From the times that I catch the 2/3 at Chambers, it seems like the (3) is always scheduled behind a (2) train. So it'll be a 8-10 minute wait, then a (2) train shows up, then a minute later the (3) shows up. (3) trains are packed during rush hours but I can always find a seat any other time. I can't recall the last time I got a seat on a (2) train however unless I was in Brooklyn.

I'll give you that one, but just because a train is not crowded at one station, it doesn't mean it's crowded at another.

Of course, but that's not what I concluded, either :) Just that the train in the picture isn't crowded, that's all. I can even spot some empty seats...

(going north) Yup (3)s fill up quite well between Wall and TSQ, but its very manageable by 96th. (2)s fill upbetween Wall and TSQ, only difference here is that fewer people got off or is balanced out by who got on (Manhattan riders already know to take the (3) for a shot at a seat or at least decent standing room), and few get on after TSQ, where there's plenty of people above TSQ who wants to go to the Bx, not to mention all those people who got on the (3) to wait for a (2) at 135th and still sometimes can't get in. Lenox is very prone to bunching due to the dwell time of (2)s in Manhattan.

ROFL at those pictures.That is some insane shit.But going N/B for the (3) weekdays

New Lots to Utica people may need the (4) for Lex Av service so it empties out and re picks up passengers at Atlantic Avenue and along the local stations if the (2) hasn't been there.But I'm sure we can all say the (3) has the lowest ridership out of all the IRT lines except the (S)huttle that doesn't count.

This is crowded:

I don't care it's off-peak or not: it's just not crowded by any definition of the word.

lol - excellent - one of the funniest postings ever on this site. why do people think they are entitled to seats at rush hours. Is it me or were trains more crowded back in the 70's. I used to ride the E/F from Forest Hills and dreaded Jackson heights where a mass of people just pushed their way on

Now please, compare those pictures to this on. I changed at 59th (after taking the local at Queens Plaza) for the uptown 4,5 and watched overcrowded downtown pull in one after the other. People nowdays seem much more concerned about personal space.

This is crowded:

train-in-shinjuku.jpg

...or this:

crowded_train.jpg

...and how 'bout this:

crowded-train.jpg

Now please, compare those pictures to this one:

img_101211.jpg

Wow you really cracked me up on that one.Very funny. What's with that 3rd one? Where was that taken? It looks pretty dangerous. Sometimes the 3 can be packed during a split run 148th/Utica,Utica/New Lots.You should see how packed it is from Utica to Nevins. Especially Manhattan Bound.

Archived