Does the 3 serve have low ridership all the time?

Calvin

It's IRT, not IND.:)

@IRT: If they did what you suggested, they would have less dwell time and thus a higher tph possible!

Whoops, thanks for catching my mistake.

I don't get why people have to cram into trains, especially when one is right behind.

Countdown timer says 1 min, they can't wait a minute longer?

I'm sorry...with all due respect, but do you call that crowded?

This is crowded:

crowded_train.jpg

...and how 'bout this:

crowded-train.jpg

Now please, compare those pictures to this one:

img_101211.jpg

I don't care it's off-peak or not: it's just not crowded by any definition of the word.

But hey, you know what they say: (2) is company, (3) is a crowd! ;)

Ha-ha. India needs better headways on their system. An that is Tokyo's next step if their trains get anymore packed. A bullet train, with people flying off the tops and sides......

From my observations over the years, the (2) generally carries more riders than the (3) does. Now when they are in Manhattan, they are probably about the same. But once they are in Brooklyn [from Atlantic-Franklin], generally most of the people are on the (2) compared to the (3). So on that account I will back up the generalization that the (2) is probably more used than the (3) is.

But you also have to factor in some stuff: (2) trains have 'issues' where they will be either grouped together or have large gaps b/w trains. And of course it has a much longer route going thru the Bronx. The (5) can also cause delays whenever it merges with the (2).

The (3), up to Utica, has the (4) backing it up. And for the most part doesn't have much delays other than merging with the (2). So for the (3) frequency should be somewhat consistant.

Guest lance25

If a person can sue McDonald's for burning yourself with hot coffee, I'm pretty sure someone can sue for sexual harassment even if it isn't.

If you don't believe the (3) is packed look at the image below.

img_101211.jpg

This is a Manhattan bound R62 (3) train back in 2009 at Atlantic Avenue. Notice how jammed the seats are in both cars. This picture was taken at an off rush hour time. I believe in rush hour this train would be even more crowded.

what are you talking about of thats your argument than you lost it that train is not anywhere near crowded you can find a seat anywhere on it as showed in this pic the 2 you cant even get on it

I'm sorry but #3 trains can be pretty crowded in Brooklyn, especially along its route to/from New Lots Avenue where it is the only service.

For a very long time, #2 trains in Brooklyn were the only service going to/from Brooklyn College-Flatbush so it would be crowded with those folks. Now #5 trains during the weekdays travel to/from Brooklyn College-Flatbush - so the crowds that were seen in Brooklyn on the #2 can be split with the #5 train.

Those riders heading to/from New Lots Avenue, plenty take the #4 until Utica Avenue, and then crowd on the #3 train to reach their stops. So #3 trains can indeed be pretty crowded at points along its route. Just looking at the #3 for its Manhattan and Harlem service aspects does not give a good indication of its role in Brooklyn.

Mike

I'm sorry but #3 trains can be pretty crowded in Brooklyn, especially along its route to/from New Lots Avenue where it is the only service.

For a very long time, #2 trains in Brooklyn were the only service going to/from Brooklyn College-Flatbush so it would be crowded with those folks. Now #5 trains during the weekdays travel to/from Brooklyn College-Flatbush - so the crowds that were seen in Brooklyn on the #2 can be split with the #5 train.

Those riders heading to/from New Lots Avenue, plenty take the #4 until Utica Avenue, and then crowd on the #3 train to reach their stops. So #3 trains can indeed be pretty crowded at points along its route. Just looking at the #3 for its Manhattan and Harlem service aspects does not give a good indication of its role in Brooklyn.

Mike

All one has to do is take the train during the hours, schoolkids are traveling to school. They will see the (3) get packed. I mean seriously packed.....

Is there really a debate about whether (3) trains get packed or not...

To whoever that believes the 3 has low ridership... you've got to be f***ing kidding me....

(3) trains can get just as crowded as (2) trains during the rush hour.... heading to & from Brooklyn... AM & PM.

and I live around the 2 line....

Roadcruiser f***ed up by posting that pic to prove a point... that is in no way indicative of 3 usage on a daily basis....

This is why you have people jumping on the "you call that crowded" bandwagon.....

Just looking at the #3 for its Manhattan and Harlem service aspects does not give a good indication of its role in Brooklyn.

Thank you for saying this.

Looking at this guy Chrisliz's location, he seems to be looking at things from a midtown to upper manhattan standpoint...

-------

Of course 3's are gonna be near empty in upper manhattan...

Of course there are gonna be more people on 2 trains in upper manhattan... it carries people to/from the Bronx.

Whereas 148th st in manhattan is the last goddamn stop on the 3 for crying out loud.

The gall someone is totally neglecting the other half of the (3), to make a case for it having low ridership....

Mike

New Lots has some (2),(4), and (5) trains as well during rush hours and evenings

Somewhere around 1 or 2?

Speaking from the Brooklyn (as opposed to the Bronx) perspective:

Reverse peak, more like 5-6 each at least for the (2) and (5).

Peak direction, at least 2 for each, moreso towards the end of the evening rush, and moreso at the beginning of the AM rush from my observations living close to New Lots. Things have probably changed a bit though.

And, yes, the (3) can get very packed along Livonia. Very.

Archived