Why doesn't the subway go to Laguardia?

Johnny Cocker

Ideally the PA could built another AirTrain route over the Grand Central pkwy to the Astoria Blvd station [maybe even over or under the Triboro to 125th and Park Av]. But as far as the subway goes, Ditmas is the last stop - Nimby will never allow it to go past that stop.

Or even better. I felt the PANYNJ should bulit an airtrain between the Willets Point/Citifield station and LGA via the Grand Central Pwy.

And it would be little or no nimby's. Plus accesss to the (7) line or the LIRR (Pt. Washington) as well.

From dictionary.com

NIMBY - used to express opposition by local citizens to the locating in their neighborhood of a civic project, as a jail, garbage dump, or drug rehabilitation center, that, though needed by the larger community, is considered unsightly, dangerous, or likely to lead to decreased property values. Stands for "not in my back yard"

Because it's making it way too easy for people to travel.

I did wish the Laguardia Airport extenstion went through, but NIMBY's killed the project. The problem that they have is that the (N), and (Q) Astoria Elevated is elevated, and they believe that thing is a scar. Recently I've read that some people even want to see that thing get torn down. Are they stupid have they read on the Archer Avenue Subway. So there won't be any (N), and (Q) extension to Laguardia Airport, because of this. A better option is to have a line branch off the Flushing Line from it's terminus, and send it to Laguardia, but the distance is vast, and it would cost more then an extension from the Astoria Elevated.

A better idea is to create a Laguardia Airport (S) by digging a tunnel between Astoria-Ditmars Boulevard & Mets Willet Point with a station at Laguardia Airport, and other stations in between connecting the Astoria & the Flushing Elevated & allowing a rail connection to Laguardia Airport at both sides.

PS Did you know that Laguardia Airport is the largest airport in the nation without rail transit.

A better idea is to create a Laguardia Airport (S) by digging a tunnel between Astoria-Ditmars Boulevard & Mets Willet Point with a station at Laguardia Airport, and other stations in between connecting the Astoria & the Flushing Elevated & allowing a rail connection to Laguardia Airport at both sides.

Roadcruiser sorry to burst your bubble but playing devil's advocate? Are you aware of how angry the people on the SAS are on the lost business/major chaos to their stores and apartment homes? They already recently discussed a possible lawsuit to end the project if the (MTA) and the feds don't provide more $$$ for their 'distress' and lost business? Not to mention their complaint of rats and other rodents on their property as well?

With the 2nd Ave project, do you think residents say living on Ditmars Blvd be happy that for at least 5-8 years be torn up for construction? Most important their property values going down during the project.

That why my idea of a Airtrain bulit along the Grand Central between Citifield-Willets Point (7) LIRR station makes more sense and cheaper IMO with little NIMBY problems.

I always thought the Airtrain along the GCP would work, and its a closer trip from the (7) at Willets then from the (N)(Q). I even forgot about the LIRR, yes there's no direct connection to Jamaica (Port Washington branch) but its something. It would also give some use for the station during the winter (maybe some retail development), when the area is desolate save TA workers going in and out of that depot there or Corona Yard.

Archived