Wal-Mart Tries Again for New York City Store

NX Express

Their games and electronics are on par with the same pricing of Best Buy. There is no "discount" worthwhile worthy to bring Wal-Mart into NYC.

Not entirely, different Wal-Marts within the Tri-State area along with neighboring states has different prices, different bundle packs and packages. I've been to a good few in New Jersey and several others in Pennsylvania (the Super Wal-Mart near the pocono raceway) and I can tell you that some offer different bundle packs that Best Buy sells, for instance, you can get a PS3, 3 games, the console platform stand, HDMI Cables & the carrying bag/case for 50 dollars LESS than what Best Buy has for their PS3 Package with 2 games, an extra controller. Not every Wal-Mart in the US have the same prices, deals and such for electronics.

Also in some Wal-Mart locations, the recently released Gran Turismo 5 package is cheaper than how Best Buy has it. The Wal-Marts that are in direct contact with Best Buy & Target and those other stores (i.e Valley Stream / Green Acres) have prices that are on-par or a tiny bit below.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
why not put one by the atlantic mall... hell, put it right next to the brooklyn nets stadium... I mean, let's be strategic about this... go ahead and put bike lanes on the notorious 4th/atlantic/flatbush av intersections while we're at it.... let's really show the world why NYC has some of the worst drivers in the nation !

Of course that's all sarcasm, but I swear this city has long gone to pot.....

so much for that NASCAR track out in SI huh....

I hope a walmart in NYC suffers the same feat....

-They have been accused of abusing the workers by forcing them to work longer hours than they're supposed to and then not paying them what they should be paid.

-People complain that "Oh my wages haven't gone up" but yet they welcome stores like Walmart which give you "great savings" by doing what??? Supressing wages...

-They are anti-union and do anything possible to crush any sort of assembly to form one by Walmart workers, as well as the small businesses that make the American economy run.

-One of the biggest importers of goods from China, some of which are tainted (i.e. toothpaste, etc.). In other words they have no problem seeing American jobs go bye-bye.

For those that love Walmart and have no problems with the above points, as some of have said, you have every right to shop where ever you want, especially if you feel that you are really getting some "cheap deals", so I say let them set up shop here and I will be right there waiting for them to fail.

To hell with both targay and Ballsmart.They both suck.I worked at a targay and its slavery in red and khaki.Oh and heaven forbid one of those fruity ass call buttons go off.Its like defcon 5!!!! All the team members would run for it!!!SMH.

Red Alert! Red Alert! :P:p

To hell with both targay and Ballsmart.They both suck.I worked at a targay and its slavery in red and khaki.Oh and heaven forbid one of those fruity ass call buttons go off.Its like defcon 5!!!! All the team members would run for it!!!SMH.

Bad ass xD!!

Red Alert! Red Alert! :P:P

:P lmfaooooooooo

alert-system.gif

What's wrong with Walmart? I believe that any business should come here. I have nothing against them.

The question is rather what isn't wrong with them...

I listed in a previous post what's wrong with them... You may not see anything wrong with the things that I wrote about them, but you may when you start working professionally and wonder why wages are so depressed...

Jon is correct, Target is no better, in fact, it's VERY MUCH like Walmart! Let me enlighten you all!

Quote below:

Lol. Reminds a lot about my old job. Except we didn't have to handle unloading the trucks. Second shift and the backroom team handled that. Sucked for them.

well-damn-1.png

Lol that explains so much, I've seen the same workers in Target and Walmart like within months. Like what's really good with that, what's going on? I would've never guessed it'd be like that. Target has a lot of cameras too so they probably see everything.

I couldn't work under those conditions, I'd spazz out real quick. :eek:

-They have been accused of abusing the workers by forcing them to work longer hours than they're supposed to and then not paying them what they should be paid.

-People complain that "Oh my wages haven't gone up" but yet they welcome stores like Walmart which give you "great savings" by doing what??? Supressing wages...

-They are anti-union and do anything possible to crush any sort of assembly to form one by Walmart workers, as well as the small businesses that make the American economy run.

-One of the biggest importers of goods from China, some of which are tainted (i.e. toothpaste, etc.). In other words they have no problem seeing American jobs go bye-bye.

For those that love Walmart and have no problems with the above points, as some of have said, you have every right to shop where ever you want, especially if you feel that you are really getting some "cheap deals", so I say let them set up shop here and I will be right there waiting for them to fail.

This is EXACTLY the post I have been looking for all along! :tup:

In addition, here's a thought for all of the Walmart supporters out there:

If there was a DIRE need for a Walmart, don't you think there would have been one by now???

This is EXACTLY the post I have been looking for all along! :tup:

In addition, here's a thought for all of the Walmart supporters out there:

If there was a DIRE need for a Walmart, don't you think there would have been one by now???

Two words, Green Acres. (Direct access to the LIRR & the local bus routes). And it seems as if you are misunderstanding things, not everyone here is supporting Wal-Mart. And there is no "DIRE need", so you can take that and stick it.

And PLUS, what some people dont seem to realize is that a majority NYers shop out of the city or state, a majority goes to NJ to save money on the tax. I'm not with or against this Wal-Mart because personally, I dont care cause it doesnt affect my neighborhood (imagine that, a Wal-Mart in Lower East Side lol....) but in a sense, it shouldnt come to NYC at all.

Two words, Green Acres. (Direct access to the LIRR & the local bus routes). And it seems as if you are misunderstanding things, not everyone here is supporting Wal-Mart. And there is no "DIRE need", so you can take that and stick it.

And PLUS, what some people dont seem to realize is that a majority NYers shop out of the city or state, a majority goes to NJ to save money on the tax. I'm not with or against this Wal-Mart because personally, I dont care cause it doesnt affect my neighborhood (imagine that, a Wal-Mart in Lower East Side lol....) but in a sense, it shouldnt come to NYC at all.

The point I'm making is the fact that people don't realize how many times the idea for a Walmart in NYC has been shot down. I didn't know Green Acres could have also been a deciding factor as to why we don't have one either.

I think it's a waste of time seeing as politicians don't support a NYC Walmart either so what's the point? Waste of time and energy if you ask me....

If a wal-mart were to come here, I won't shop there.... You don't have to worry about that.

The problem is a wal-mart COMING here.... they would be in in direct competition w/ the many mom & pop stores we have in NYC...

example:

now that you see all these rite aid's & walgreen's poppin up everywhere, look at what happened to the local drug stores- either hangin on by a thread, or gone with the wind (which has happened to THREE local drug stores in my area)....

so don't sit there & tell me that limiting locations of a box store will keep mom & pop stores in business b/c you & I know that's bullshit.... all you need is ONE box store to significantly affect business (for the worse) for the mom & pop store... I mean ish' like this is why we're losing the sense of community as it is.....

...and stop lying about milk costing $5 a gallon & $8 for a pair of drawers....

We in the outerboroughs aint goin broke buying odds & ends, so kill that mentality quick...

You can be pro-wal-mart w/o having to exaggerate things....

The prices.

That's the only argument I've heard out of the wal-mart supporters thus far.......

Oh yeah B35. Go to a corner store in western half of Coney Island on Neptune and West 36th. Just was there recently in Sept. visiting a few old friends and a corner store there did charge $4.50 for gallon of milk. Go there for yourself in near future B35. In East Flatbush/Church Ave. was tons of smaller fruit/vegetable stores of course the cost of Milk and veggies/fruits will be cheaper.

I am not lying and I was making a point that in parts of the city that has a limited amount of box stores the prices does go higher. If you or anyone else don't want to go (I know my own family members and co-owners who also 'hate' Wal-Mart as well)don't shop there.

I agree with Forest Glen that why should families have to be stuck in some areas with overpriced small grocery stores or mom and pop stores that sell outdated food and other stuff.

Growing up in CI in the 1980's/90's the nearest major supermarket was Pathmark on Cropsey a mile away and back then no direct bus connection from rest of CI. Yes even 20 years ago, the cost of milk at a local Key Food was a very high $3.00 a gallon.

I think we just have to agree to disagree on wal-mart. However I was not 'lying' on a few stores in NYC charging $4.00 a gallon or more for milk.

The point I'm making is the fact that people don't realize how many times the idea for a Walmart in NYC has been shot down. I didn't know Green Acres could have also been a deciding factor as to why we don't have one either.

I think it's a waste of time seeing as politicians don't support a NYC Walmart either so what's the point? Waste of time and energy if you ask me....

As big of a chain and the amount of power the Wal-Mart brand has, it will always look for a spot in the city and will find some sort of support, and as always, it'll be shot down. I rather see more Costcos and BJ Wholesale warehouses than Wal-Marts.

Oh yeah B35. Go to a corner store in western half of Coney Island on Neptune and West 36th. Just was there recently in Sept. visiting a few old friends and a corner store there did charge $4.50 for gallon of milk. Go there for yourself in near future B35. In East Flatbush/Church Ave. was tons of smaller fruit/vegetable stores of course the cost of Milk and veggies/fruits will be cheaper.

I am not lying and I was making a point that in parts of the city that has a limited amount of box stores the prices does go higher. If you or anyone else don't want to go (I know my own family members and co-owners who also 'hate' Wal-Mart as well)don't shop there.

I agree with Forest Glen that why should families have to be stuck in some areas with overpriced small grocery stores or mom and pop stores that sell outdated food and other stuff.

Growing up in CI in the 1980's/90's the nearest major supermarket was Pathmark on Cropsey a mile away and back then no direct bus connection from rest of CI. Yes even 20 years ago, the cost of milk at a local Key Food was a very high $3.00 a gallon.

I think we just have to agree to disagree on wal-mart. However I was not 'lying' on a few stores in NYC charging $4.00 a gallon or more for milk.

The prices for items at Staten Island supermarkets are supposedly high also compared to the other boroughs. I think it is up to the community to pressure their representatives to create environments for the competition to come in.

Now I'm really big on eating natural foods and organic whenever possible. We do have some natural food stores here on the island and there is talk of a Trader Joe's coming soon, but there are no Whole Foods stores, so I shop at various Whole Foods in the city. I also go back to my old neighborhood in Sheepshead Bay to Stop & Shop for personal items, which are far cheaper there than on Staten Island. I do travel a bit, but quite frankly I don't see the big deal in having to leave the neighborhood to find what you need. Granted I have a relaxing seat on the express bus so maybe my schlep isn't the same as it would be for your family members if they also use public transportation. However, it seems like to me lots of folks do a decent amount of travel to go to the places that they prefer to shop at especially New Yorkers.

I'm just puzzled as to why you think Wal Mart would be so much cheaper? Just remember that you get what you pay for. If the prices are really cheap it's either because they're buying in bulk (which they do sometimes) OR they're cutting corners elsewhere to get prices down, which they also do A LOT OF.

Dude, you went from $5... to $4.50... to $4 a gallon...

Be consistent w/ your argument(s)...

Again, aint no one paying $5 a gallon in no bodega or some fruit/veggie stand; the mom & pop type shops, so to speak....

If it's anyone is paying that much for milk, it's someone that's buying it from the drug store chains... with which IMO, you don't go food shoppin like that in them anyway.... I find it comical when someone spends $200+ worth of groceries @ a rite aid... when they could've purchased the same exact items for at least $50 less....

Most corner stores, you can get a gallon of milk for $3

Not $5, as you originally claimed; before you switched up on us...

The way you're talking, it's like walmart sells a gallon of milk for a quarter or something....

My local bodega repeatedly sold me milk with chunks in it. The bananas have flies on them. But we shouldn't have a Walmart because Leroy Graham thinks it's a bad idea. Never mind the fact that he doesn't pay my bills.

lol...

If you're stupid enough to keep buying from THAT bodega, then it's your own dam fault.

That's not a reason that walmart, specifically, should come to NYC.

My local bodega repeatedly sold me milk with chunks in it. The bananas have flies on them. But we shouldn't have a Walmart because Leroy Graham thinks it's a bad idea. Never mind the fact that he doesn't pay my bills.

Not being rude here but was it absolutely necessary to use my government name??? Not that I have a problem with it though...just saying.

Okay, so what if they decided to put a Walmart in the NYC...I don't know where in the hell they would smack it though but let's say they decided to. Still doesn't benefit me, so for your sake I won't say that I'm outrightly against a Walmart but more so indifferent. Does that make you feel better?

The reason why I shoot down a Walmart is because of history. If the city couldn't have a Walmart by now what makes you think we're gonna get one anytime soon?

As for that chunky milk thing, I'm sorry but you'd really gotta be a few cards short of a full deck to keep on going back to that place to buy your milk. Heh, that tells me about the stores credibility as a whole, I possibly would never go back there to buy anything ever again.

Not being rude here but was it absolutely necessary to use my government name??? Not that I have a problem with it though...just saying.

Okay, so what if they decided to put a Walmart in the NYC...I don't know where in the hell they would smack it though but let's say they decided to. Still doesn't benefit me, so for your sake I won't say that I'm outrightly against a Walmart but more so indifferent. Does that make you feel better?

The reason why I shoot down a Walmart is because of history. If the city couldn't have a Walmart by now what makes you think we're gonna get one anytime soon?

As for that chunky milk thing, I'm sorry but you'd really gotta be a few cards short of a full deck to keep on going back to that place to buy your milk. Heh, that tells me about the stores credibility as a whole, I possibly would never go back there to buy anything ever again.

Government name... LOL

Walmart is a ripoff, and they are anti-American greedbags who outsource jobs and destroy companies (look what they forced Rubbermaid to do). Screw them as far as I am concerned. I will literally never buy anything from that shit hole anyways. They don't sell quality goods at all and they think if they hire a few re...er, special people...to stand at the door at mutter "welcome to wal-mart" for minimum wage that they are "making a difference in the community" as they drive local stores out of business.

Local stores establish relationships. Provide helpful and friendly service. Often give discounts or free add-ons when you're friendly with them. Help you with projects at no additional cost. Understand their stores and show you where things are rather than saying "find that other guy, this is his department"

Large corporations, especially Walmart don't give a shit.

As far as I'm concerned there is only one "Walmart" I will ever use again and it's the one with two L's.

When I used your name I was being facetious

As for the mik, it's the corner bodega so that's why I kept going back. However, I now get my milk and produce from Pathmark.

When I used your name I was being facetious

As for the mik, it's the corner bodega so that's why I kept going back. However, I now get my milk and produce from Pathmark.

LRG has a great point and I got to agree. Unless the next nearest store is 2 miles or more away and you don't have a car, I also too would boycott and never return either unless it had new owners.

And finally B35 when i stated $4-$5 for gallon milk it does depends on the bodega/corner store. I just list that range as the various prices of what i seen for Milk in Manhattan and the outerboroughs.

Again all I been saying guys is that while I think Wal Mart has a right to bulid a store in NYC's 5 boros, I am never said the customers should stop there at Wal Mart. I been making argument that for years now, lower income communities in NYC and across the country in urban areas often lack box stores or major supermarkets close to home.

That the customer just like living in the suburus should have within a reasonable drive or bus ride to their home, a supermarket or box store that provides affordable groceries to them. It can be Pathmark, Stop and Shop, Wal-Mart or Target is what I been calling for all along.

Archived