An epic goof up of 80's proportion

Kamen Rider

The exact date for this is unknown unless anyone here can confirm the date.

That picture in the first post was taken between 1979 and 1981 as evidenced by that big blue gas tank that was just north of the Coney Island Creek. The Gas Tank was demolished in late 1981 or early 1982. I remember being around that area at the time, and I heard a huge explosion when that tank came down.

As a kid, when the train approached the tank, I remember how excited I got. Great memories!

Up until a few years ago, when taking either the Sea Beach (N) or West End (D) train lines going to/coming from the Stillwell Ave-Coney Island Terminal, you woud of looked out the windows on the right while crossing the Coney Island Creek bridge, and you would of seen the round circle where the tank once stood.

The side of the tank read:

GAS HEATS BEST.

And in smaller letters below:

Aquarium, next right.

Here's a picture of it from nycsubway.org in October of 1981:

img_39316.jpg

You can see the top of it being demolished, at the top left corner of the image.

Either the original photo's R-40M/42 is displaying a ridiculously dirty upside-down (;) or a (8) train sign. This is interesting photo...

No, if you bothered to read anything that was posted before you would have read that before 1979, the (B) was black. The route signs that came before the bullet signs were back with a white B and when they were replaced with bullet type signs, the B was gray. I thought you stopped posting here?

Coney island's original station was a block farther towards the beach, then it was moved back for some reason, then the railroads moved out and the subway came in. Then after a while some person fiddles with this rollsign, possibly repairing the section without realizing the mistake.

Makes the whole thing look like some 2nd hand operation. Look at that grass too!! There is no grass on a ROW!! (jimmy from league of their own no crying in baseball) Unless you like fire that is. :cool:

- A

Either the original photo's R-40M/42 is displaying a ridiculously dirty upside-down (;) or a (8) train sign. This is interesting photo...

No, if you bothered to read anything that was posted before you would have read that before 1979, the (B) was black. The route signs that came before the bullet signs were back with a white B and when they were replaced with bullet type signs, the B was gray. I thought you stopped posting here?

Well IND...it looks like...

2955kw0.jpg

Archived