What if...

Eric

The subway stations were named more like the stations in other places like Boston or Washington, where the name wasn't a street or avenue but a local point of interest or neighborhood?

For instance, there could be:

(6)(E)(M) at 51st/53rd Sts -> Turtle Bay.

(6) at Bleecker St -> NoHo.

(1) at 125 St -> Manhattanville.

(F)(J)(M)(Z) at Delancey-Essex -> Williamsburg Bridge.

I'm not saying it's a good idea, I'm just curious as to what people can come up with.

No because it sounds like your doing it by town which other routes run thru it.. Such as the (N)(R) at NYU station, (B)(D)(F)(M) at Broadway/Laf and the (6) at Bleeker.. The (F)(J)(M)(Z) would also be confusing for those who are at Williamsburg, Brooklyn or those in Lower Manhattan.. Which the bridge also crosses thru.

Remember money also counts here for name changing and we don't wanna end up confusing passangers like some are now.. Such as Metro Tech on the IND/BMT and Fulton Street on the IND.

But of course I don't wanna see a name change similar to SEPTAs Broad Street Subway southern terminal which is called AT&T (Pattison formally), which is one ugly ass name.. There ain't no AT&T stores down here, just a name change for a sports complex down there.

Been here and it made me laugh but also FAILED..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT%26T_%28SEPTA_station%29

1. Astoria - Ditmars Blvd............... Astoria

2. Broadway............................... Ravenwood

3. 39th Avenue........................... Long Island City

4. Prince Street........................... Washington Square Village

5. 50th Street............................. Hell's Kitchen

Some problem areas might be where there is more than one line serving the neighborhood.

1. Astoria - Ditmars Blvd............... Astoria

2. Broadway............................... Ravenwood

3. 39th Avenue........................... Long Island City

4. Prince Street........................... Washington Square Village

5. 50th Street............................. Hell's Kitchen

Some problem areas might be where there is more than one line serving the neighborhood.

I thought of this while walking through Chelsea, so one way I thought of designating that was the (F)(M) would be Chelsea East, the (1) would be Chelsea Central, and the (C)(E) would be Chelsea West.

I know it's a bad idea, but it's just exploration.

How about Midtown?

57 St (N)(Q)(R): North Central Midtown

34 Street Herald Square: Central South West Midtown...

Well...Midtown is kind of a nightmare.

Herald Square would just remain as Herald Square.

Same for Times Sq, Bryant Park, Grand Central...

Problem 1 is that some neighborhoods have multiple stops in them, and problem 2 is that it doesn't tell you where exactly you are. With the exception of Jefferson Avenue on the SIR, naming is done by neighborhood, and it works out fine because there is only one SIR and the street grid isn't nearly as organized as most of the rest of the city.

It wouldn't be such a bad idea except that there are many stations in the same neighborhood (outside of manhattan too) and there are alot of neighborhood names that people don't use or don't know about.

Well, if different lines had the same neighborhood name, that might not be the end of the world.

Well, if different lines had the same neighborhood name, that might not be the end of the world.

What does this have to do with end of the world? Its not a good idea, becuz then people will be confused. Towns are not like 2 blocks apart its more then that.. Like Harlem. If you names every station in Harlem "Harlem".. Then it would be odd and confusing seeing that Harlem has different stops on each lines.

What so we are gona call 135th, 125th, 116th, 110th St on the IRT Lenox Harlem? No way.

But if it was that a line would make 1 stop in a town and be the only line within that town then we are good for that. Just like Railroads which each station on a line has a town name.. Like MNR/LIRR/NJT etc.

The thing about the more than one line servicing the neighborhood, isn't a good reason against this because stations already share names.

eg.

125th Street (and various other Manh. numbered streets)

(Broadway-7 Av Line)

(Lenox Av Line)

(Lexington Av Line)

(Eighth Av Line)

Pelham Parkway

(Dyre Av Line)

(White Plains Rd Line)

Clinton-Washington Avs

(Crosstown Line)

(Fulton St Line)

but at the same time, there is also the point that most lines usually serve a neighborhood for multiple stops.

The thing about the more than one line servicing the neighborhood, isn't a good reason against this because stations already share names.

eg.

125th Street (and various other Manh. numbered streets)

(Broadway-7 Av Line)

(Lenox Av Line)

(Lexington Av Line)

(Eighth Av Line)

Pelham Parkway

(Dyre Av Line)

(White Plains Rd Line)

Clinton-Washington Avs

(Crosstown Line)

(Fulton St Line)

but at the same time, there is also the point that most lines usually serve a neighborhood for multiple stops.

But these stations are apart from each other on its own Avenue/Street. Even if they got the same names.

I think it would be kind of confusing if you renamed every stop between 59th St. and 14th St. "Midtown" on every single trunk line.

playing devil's advocate, using the opposite argument....

Well, now LIB's do.... but "What if" suffolk's, westchester's, and NJ's mid & long distance routes had the street names of the cities in the destination signs where they terminate at...

i.e....

"S66 Riverhead" - WHERE in Riverhead.

"Route 1W... White Plains" - WHERE in White Plains

(contrary to popular belief, most the buses that end in white plains, don't end at the transcenter)

553 Bridgeton (lol.)... WHERE in Bridgeton

Terrible idea. If anything at all add it onto the street name. Without the street name you won't really know where you are. For example, there would be like 20 stops named Harlem on the (1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(A)(B)(C)(D) combined.

Neighborhoods don't all change every 10 blocks, so what would you want to do with stations on the same line that would have the same name? And from the street name alone you already know what neighborhood you're going to be in.

Archived