Express bus cut talk

Via Garibaldi 8

I knew I read about this some where...

http://www.qgazette.com/news/2005-10-05/features/005.html

In the link above it states that the city bought several hundred buses for MTA Bus...

For those who say that the express buses are gas guzzlers, the article also states that the buses are more fuel efficient...

This link below talks about how the city bought the assets to Liberty Bus lines...

http://prtl-drprd-web.nyc.gov/portal/site/nycgov/menuitem.c0935b9a57bb4ef3daf2f1c701c789a0/index.jsp?pageID=mayor_press_release&catID=1194&doc_name=http%3A%2F%2Fprtl-drprd-web.nyc.gov%2Fhtml%2Fom%2Fhtml%2F2005a%2Fpr007-05.html&cc=unused1978&rc=1194&ndi=1

The article is only from 2005, so when exactly did NYC stop paying to have MTA Bus run those lines?? My understanding was that the city had the option of deciding who would provide the bus service and chose the MTA, though I could be wrong...

I guess I shouldn't be concerned because I don't live in NY now but as a former B/O for NYBS I was disappointed to see it bite the dust along with Green Line, Triboro Coach, Queens Transit and the rest.

I am wondering though, why would they have bothered 86ing these private companies and taking over their lines if they felt like they couldn't keep up service or better yet, improve it.

Now I admit I have been out of the loop in recent years and therefore any opinion i offer at this point is going to be based on very little detailed information, so I am trying to learn/pick up what I have missed. Maybe there is good reason for this possibly happening?

Someone help me to understand what is going on.

I don't actually recall the DOT ever buying the MTA buses, I believe the DOT only purchased buses when there were private operators, and for those operators.

I could very well be mistaken though -- I'll look into it.

One of the other reasons why the (MTA) bought over the Private DOT buses was because the city pushed them to. In doing this they thought the (MTA) could provide better service & have the funds to run the private bus lines. I'll provide a link later as proof but it is a reason.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most of my law school classmates drive cars to school. I'm one of the few guys who waits in the cold for the Q20/44. And then when I get on, I have to deal with the John Bowne hoodlums. Let's get one thing straight. I'm a railfan, not a busfan. I don't like buses. There are some exceptions like Megabus and express buses, but I don't see the thrill in a bus that is crowded and slower than other traffic. At least the Orion V CNG looks nice and makes a cool engine noise. The NG's are some of the ugliest buses.

You say you don't like buses, but what the hell is your precious X63 and QM21? If its -1 or 101 degrees and an NG or an OG shows up, what are you going to do? Wait an extra 5 to 10 minutes for your precious Orion 5 or RTS to show up? This is why express buses are a necessity. You tell me its just $5. Like I have 5 dollars to spend just get on some damn express bus. That same $5 I could be using that to get something to eat

Does anyone else see the hypocrisy in this....

and this aint about railfan vs busfan....

If it's anyone that's doing all this hating ON THIS FORUM, is you right now, dude...

No one can't say anything that doesn't put express buses in a positive light, or else it's hate with you....

Yet you sit up here & brand local bus riders everything in the book, and then some....

Show us who these avid express bus haters who do nothin but bash the damned things... on HERE (not on subchat) is, and we would have no argument.

Damnit, beat me to this, excellent post.

And for those complaining about why the MTA uses MCI's on express bus lines, they wanted it to be uniform. Also, the older buses just simply didn't cut it on the expressways.

What? Maybe in Staten Island when maintenance just terrible when they had Suburban Orion Vs, but the RTSs & Orion V CNGs that ran on the Express Routes were in good shape and ran rather well. They hauled ass on the expressways.

I'm a casual express bus rider and wow, you and FG are taking this as if the service was a blessing to the both of you. My main exp routes are the BxM7A, x1, x7, x15, x19 and the x17A/C/J. There are some lines I can see being axed and others that can just be reduced.

And to answer your silly little question about why did they start exp bus service anyway, back in the day, they had a fleet of buses that cost a lot less to maintain because parts were shared with the local buses, therefore having spare parts around for maintenance, it went on for years until the MCIs showed up, and parts for the MCIs cost a lot to begin with, so think about this just for a minute...

------------------------------------------------

On a side note, this thread is making me lol.

You guys can sit here and BS and say that there aren't folks out there that would like to see all express buses eliminated, but you know damn well that there are folks out there that see express bus service as a luxury, so let's be honest and cut the BS. No one here has to say it. The simple fact we have threads about considering cutting express bus service demonstrates that point.

The overall consensus is that you should take from those that "have" and give those that don't have simply because express bus riders pay more than local bus and subway riders and if you think about it, this sort of idea exists in general, even with taxes. Take from the rich and give to those who make less...

The question that I asked earlier in this thread which still hasn't been answered is, if the MTA had such cost issues with express buses, then why in the world did they even start any express bus service???

The only reason I can see is that they understand that it is a necessity for those in areas that lack transit options. If someone can enlighten me further on this, I would be interested in knowing so we can finally swash this nonsense about slashing express bus service.

And for those complaining about why the MTA uses MCI's on express bus lines, they wanted it to be uniform. Also, the older buses just simply didn't cut it on the expressways.

wtf...

1) YOU started this thread, specifically titled "Express bus cut talk"... What the hell did you think people were gonna come into this thread thinking this was about..... Why do you think KR came at you the way he did...

2) You can defend FG if you want... Of course he'll come up & co-sign you all day b/c you're making points in his favor he doesn't care to make....

See me (and those of us that are privy to his BS), I refuse to defend people that continually that shits on our local buses & subways (some railfan, right)... and the people that use them... I mean, just look at how he described John Bowne students...

3) That analogy you made there is way off base.... This aint on no robin hood shit.... When do you ever hear of ppl explicitly state, or imply, that all express bus service should be cut, to put more local buses & subways on the road.... The ppl. that are on that BS, make those claims b/c they feel the funds it takes to maintain, upkeep, and run the things can be used elsewhere.... You're makin it sound like, oh, let's cut the x1 and put more service on the S79 (for example)... aint no one on that tip, dude...

4)

The only reason I can see is that they understand that it is a necessity for those in areas that lack transit options. If someone can enlighten me further on this, I would be interested in knowing so we can finally swash this nonsense about slashing express bus service.

Sitting up here BS-ing much?

Playing brand new as to why you don't realize why express buses ever started.... When you have elitist ass folks (NIMBY's included) that still hold onto a stigma about the subway, and it being SO damn dangerous... When you have express bus riders that think EXACTLY like FG - the subway is filthy, there's rats, that is so beneath me (even though HE wont admit that last one, this is how he comes off).... the local buses, OMG, the thugs, the hoods, it's so crowded, this, that, and the third....

-------

F**k it, I'm goin in right now....

His constant outcries of express bus hate is, and always has been a goddamn band-aid argument.... Those of us that witnessed what went down b/w FG & LRG know what's up... It's a class issue with this guy... he HATES the fact that he has to ride subways & local buses b/c it puts him in a perceived class of people he simply does not want to associate with... THIS is why he's so adamant about ppl. who bring up anything negative about the things.... There's nothin wrong with wanting the best for yourself...

Just don't shit on the next man, to boost yourself up in going about doing so.

Damnit, beat me to this, excellent post.

What? Maybe in Staten Island when maintenance just terrible when they had Suburban Orion Vs, but the RTSs & Orion V CNGs that ran on the Express Routes were in good shape and ran rather well. They hauled ass on the expressways.

------------------------------------------------

On a side note, this thread is making me lol.

I hope no one is taking this too seriously. I mean it's just a forum where we all air our opinions...

Regarding your note on the RTS and other buses that ran express routes, maybe they ran well, but they weren't that fast. Actually I look at the S53 and S79 on the Verrazano... Even with the new Orions, we still blow by them easily. I think it's more a question that the Orions and the other buses usually used on local routes aren't as fast as MCIs...

I hope no one is taking this too seriously. I mean it's just a forum where we all air our opinions...

Regarding your note on the RTS and other buses that ran express routes, maybe they ran well, but they weren't that fast. Actually I look at the S53 and S79 on the Verrazano... Even with the new Orions, we still blow by them easily. I think it's more a question that the Orions and the other buses usually used on local routes aren't as fast as MCIs...

That's because local buses are regulated to be capped at 40 or 45 MPH on the island whereas the express fleet is at 55-65 MPH, there are a few MCIs on that island that can do more....so comparing a 45ft motorcoach on an express that does well over 50MPH with a 40ft transit bus that is capped at a lower speed for obvious reasons is a totally unfair comparison....

BTW : Read the extra tidbit in my previous post

wtf...

1) YOU started this thread, specifically titled "Express bus cut talk"... What the hell did you think people were gonna come into this thread thinking this was about..... Why do you think KR came at you the way he did...

2) You can defend FG if you want... Of course he'll come up & co-sign you all day b/c you're making points in his favor he doesn't care to make....

See me (and those of us that are privy to his BS), I refuse to defend people that continually that shits on our local buses & subways (some railfan, right)... and the people that use them... I mean, just look at how he described John Bowne students...

3) That analogy you made there is way off base.... This aint on no robin hood shit.... When do you ever hear of ppl explicitly state, or imply, that all express bus service should be cut, to put more local buses & subways on the road.... The ppl. that are on that BS, make those claims b/c they feel the funds it takes to maintain, upkeep, and run the things can be used elsewhere.... You're makin it sound like, oh, let's cut the x1 and put more service on the S79 (for example)... aint no one on that tip, dude...

4)

Sitting up here BS-ing much?

Playing brand new as to why you don't realize why express buses ever started.... When you have elitist ass folks (NIMBY's included) that still hold onto a stigma about the subway, and it being SO damn dangerous... When you have express bus riders that think EXACTLY like FG - the subway is filthy, there's rats, that is so beneath me (even though HE wont admit that last one, this is how he comes off).... the local buses, OMG, the thugs, the hoods, it's so crowded, this, that, and the third....

-------

F**k it, I'm goin in right now....

His constant outcries of express bus hate is, and always has been a goddamn band-aid argument.... Those of us that witnessed what went down b/w FG & LRG know what's up... It's a class issue with this guy... he HATES the fact that he has to ride subways & local buses b/c it puts him in a perceived class of people he simply does not want to associate with... THIS is why he's so adamant about ppl. who bring up anything negative about the things.... There's nothin wrong with wanting the best for yourself...

Just don't shit on the next man, to boost yourself up in going about doing so.

DAAAAAAMN SON! I'd give you a gold medal if I could, agreed with this post 100%. Excellent post!

That's because local buses are regulated to be capped at 40 or 45 MPH on the island whereas the express fleet is at 55-65 MPH, there are a few MCIs on that island that can do more....so comparing a motorcoach on an express with a 40 transit bus is a totally unfair comparison....

But that was one of the reasons the MTA wanted all MCIs... They're faster on the expressway...

In the Brooklyn Bus map, there is a new route/alternative express route running as a X37/38 and tats the 27B/28B. Are those routes running rush hours only?

I read about it....

it's not the same as the 37/38.. not even close...

from what I understand, they're simply variants of the 27/28 that serve the WFC, and shoot right into the BBT back to Brooklyn from there.... It's supposed to speed up service by avoiding the part of Broadway in lower manhattan that gets bombarded w/ traffic...

it probably does the same thing the x7,9, 10 do... make that turn off houston en route to WFC (I haven't seen the new brooklyn map yet).

But that was one of the reasons the MTA wanted all MCIs... They're faster on the expressway...

Not entirely, the express fleet of RTSs and Orions went over 50....I've been on a few that did up to 67MPH and I have family members who work for the MTA that drove on express routes pre-MCIs, the REAL reason is because they were scrapping the older buses so those suburban buses were being sent onto the locals, which is where the MCIs came in, they held more passengers compared to a 40ft bus, speed was most definitely NOT a factor as to why these were ordered....

I read about it....

it's not the same as the 37/38.. not even close...

from what I understand, they're simply variants of the 27/28 that serve the WFC, and shoot right into the BBT back to Brooklyn from there.... It's supposed to speed up service by avoiding the part of Broadway in lower manhattan that gets bombarded w/ traffic...

it probably does the same thing the x7,9, 10 do... make that turn off houston en route to WFC (I haven't seen the new brooklyn map yet).

Last June, the MTA got rid of the X37/38... Now there's just the X27/28...

They used to have it set up like they do with some of the BM lines... The X27/28 would serve Downtown up to 23rd street and the X37/38 would take the FDR up to 23rd and then up to Midtown.

Similar to the BM3 which does the Downtown Loop only during the rush and

BM3 Super Express which skips Downtown, and takes the FDR up to 23rd....

The only thing I don't understand is why they cut the X37/38 out?

Those buses were packed during the morning and evening rush and would run every 5 minutes or so. During the evenings they'd run until at least 07:30 or so and then the X27/28 would come in and do the full routes.

The only thing I don't understand is why they cut the X37/38 out?

Those buses were packed during the morning and evening rush and would run every 5 minutes or so. During the evenings they'd run until at least 07:30 or so and then the X27/28 would come in and do the full routes.

From what I understand, the x37 and x38 were made after 9/11, it was basically a super express version of the x27 and x28, but over the years, construction in Lower Manhattan started to ease down and ridership on those routes started to decrease and dwindle to mediocre statistics per month.

Not entirely, the express fleet of RTSs and Orions went over 50....I've been on a few that did up to 67MPH and I have family members who work for the MTA that drove on express routes pre-MCIs, the REAL reason is because they were scrapping the older buses so those suburban buses were being sent onto the locals, which is where the MCIs came in, they held more passengers compared to a 40ft bus, speed was most definitely NOT a factor as to why these were ordered....

Well my uncle is a B/O with the MTA (and has been for over 20 yrs) so that's who I heard that from... He's w/Quill now and usually does the M23 or other crosstown routes...

In any event, I do recall them saying that they would be getting MCIs for the BM lines because they were using those Orions on some lines during the rush to make things more comfortable. Thank God because those old Orions, the seats were like bricks and so cramped too, especially for $5.50 a ride.

But just from a logical point of view, it would make sense to get MCIs simply because they're made to do long distances...

Huh??

Last June, the MTA got rid of the X37/38... Now there's just the X27/28...

Dude, coming up, there's gonna be an x27b & an x28b...

That's what I was referencing in that post.

From what I understand, the x37 and x38 were made after 9/11, it was basically a super express version of the x27 and x28, but over the years, construction in Lower Manhattan started to ease down and ridership on those routes started to decrease and dwindle to mediocre statistics per month.

You have a point about the creation of the x37/38, in regards to the construction in lwr. manhattan around the time... maybe they did use that as a factor....

but I'm not so sure about decreasing ridership bro (of course, the MTA wants us to believe it).... of the times I jumped on (or seen from the outside looking in) x37's & 38's, to me, the loads were just about equal to 27's & 28's that ran around the same/similar timeframe.... I'm sure 37 & 38 riders (well, now 27/28 riders) would tell you the same...

What I think is, they got rid of the things b/c they wanted to (attempt to) maximize the # of ppl/bus... that would be one explanation as to why the 37/38 was gone entirely, and as to why certain 28 runs that previously ended at Canal (av) got slated to serve seagate (which there still aren't that many of em).... like, why have buses bypassing (south of) 23rd street, when we can get people on these buses...

The one gripe I had w/ the 38, was that too many of them did pan out to seagate....

You have a point about the creation of the x37/38, in regards to the construction in lwr. manhattan around the time... maybe they did use that as a factor....

but I'm not so sure about decreasing ridership bro (of course, the MTA wants us to believe it).... of the times I jumped on (or seen from the outside looking in) x37's & 38's, to me, the loads were just about equal to 27's & 28's that ran around the same/similar timeframe.... I'm sure 37 & 38 riders (well, now 27/28 riders) would tell you the same...

What I think is, they got rid of the things b/c they wanted to (attempt to) maximize the # of ppl/bus... that would be one explanation as to why the 37/38 was gone entirely, and as to why certain 28 runs that previously ended at Canal (av) got slated to serve seagate (which there still aren't that many of em).... like, why have buses bypassing (south of) 23rd street, when we can get people on these buses...

The one gripe I had w/ the 38, was that too many of them did pan out to seagate....

I dont know too much about them x37 and x38s, but I spoke to a driver that used to drive out of Ulmer Park (now in MJQ) and he said that the ridership on some trips were decreasing, and several x27s and x28s saw an increase, but I guess it really depended on the times. I can say that I seen several x37s and 38s that were kinda empty, see them buses on the FDR when it hits traffic at the Brooklyn Bridge, some were empty and others were regularly crowded to dumb crowded.

The schedule on those 37s and 38s were rather frequent, I used to see so many pull into 5th and 41st at such a short time and a rather short span. Had they decrease trips on both routes, the ridership would've been on top.

I used to see 6 or so X37s pass on 5th in the 40s and they would be pretty full. In fact I'd see some at 23rd street that would be standing room only. I think they got rid of the X37/38 to suppress ridership on those lines and force those people onto the subway. I'm wondering how the X27 in particular is doing now that the X37 is gone. I still see them pretty full in the 40s so I would think that some would SRO.

P.S. that 27B/28B thing probably refers to buses only going to 23rd st.

I used to see 6 or so X37s pass on 5th in the 40s and they would be pretty full. In fact I'd see some at 23rd street that would be standing room only. I think they got rid of the X37/38 to suppress ridership on those lines and force those people onto the subway. I'm wondering how the X27 in particular is doing now that the X37 is gone. I still see them pretty full in the 40s so I would think that some would SRO.

you know what I found odd about waiting at 23rd st sometimes for a 28/38....

Well, I knew it was a checkpoint, but the supervisor (or whoever the dude out there be w/ the clipboard and the thin MTA jacket) would always press people to board the x28 (even if the x38 didn't have as many ppl. on it).... I never understood that... and there would be a line of about 20 or so deep waiting also.. of course, there's no way of knowing how many of them needed 27/37 service, as opposed to 28/38/29 service....

I think I mouthed off one time & said how come I can't board the 38... he said something to the effect of the bus going back to the depot... which was BS b/c there were people still on there, and the bus pulled into 23rd/broadway signed as an x38.....

maybe that was an omen of things to come or something, iono....

I dont know too much about them x37 and x38s, but I spoke to a driver that used to drive out of Ulmer Park (now in MJQ) and he said that the ridership on some trips were decreasing, and several x27s and x28s saw an increase, but I guess it really depended on the times, but I can say that I seen several x37s and 38s that were kinda empty, see them buses on the FDR when it hits traffic at the Brooklyn Bridge, some were empty and others were dumb crowded

The schedule on those 37s and 38s were rather frequent, I used to see so many pull into 5th and 41st at such a quick rate.

Had they decrease trips on both routes, the ridership would've been on top.

If I were to guess, those would have been the earlier 37/38 trips... not implying that every 37/38 was crushloaded of course, but the majority of em around the 6-7pm timeframe... yup....

I was guilty of letting 28's go, for a 38, when I used to wait for them over there by the main library, and lo & behold, I wadn't in the same boat....

That last statement there, I made that same point, when Shortline was going crazy w/ those "doomsday" threads back then, as well as 1 or 2 other threads talking about the 27/28/37/38..... That has always been my stance on the two routes (37/38), and instead, the MTA did what they did with them....

and those south of (houston?) will have to wait even longer for a 27/28 b/c all of a sudden, they want to introduce a new variant... Incredible.

I wonder if there were ever any type of demand for WFC service to begin with....

I've been asking for an express bus avatar forever... Can you create one or can I send you a pic or something?? :cool:

P.S. That avatar should be given personally to Forest Glen. lol

I can try to make one, however we can't use custom avatars on this forum:(

PM me about it.

@B35: How would we know if we never had the WFC service?

My gripe is the number of MCI's purchased by the MTA and to me, other than Staten Island and maybe the Bronx the rest weren't necessarily needed. The older 40 footers which had suburban seats could have been reupholstered with new seats and perhaps given a light overhaul provided this was cost effective to cut down on the number of MCI's purchased. If anything, some people are too stupid to realize the express bus fare is a bargain, YES a bargain for going between boroughs where a cab would cost at least 4 times as much.

That MTA needed those MCIs. Buses need to be replaced every so often and the MCIs is a perfect highway bus. You wouldnt want to be riding the X17J ect via nj in a old bus where everytime you hit a pothole the whole bus jerks badly. The MCIs are made for the highway. Since your crying about the MCIs, now will you cry about the Prevost that may or will end up in Staten Island? The number of MCIs ordered has nothing to do with anything. Those MCIs provide a uniform fleet, same as you see the R142/A and R160s which also provide a uniform fleet.

Every last one of those MCIs were needed.

If I were to guess, those would have been the earlier 37/38 trips... not implying that every 37/38 was crushloaded of course, but the majority of em around the 6-7pm timeframe... yup....

I was guilty of letting 28's go, for a 38, when I used to wait for them over there by the main library, and lo & behold, I wadn't in the same boat....

That last statement there, I made that same point, when Shortline was going crazy w/ those "doomsday" threads back then, as well as 1 or 2 other threads talking about the 27/28/37/38..... That has always been my stance on the two routes (37/38), and instead, the MTA did what they did with them....

and those south of (houston?) will have to wait even longer for a 27/28 b/c all of a sudden, they want to introduce a new variant... Incredible.

I wonder if there were ever any type of demand for WFC service to begin with....

Down by State/Battery Place & Broadway, the demand for the regular 27s and 28s were really high, unless you mean by the other side by the west side highway where the x7, x9 and the others stop at, there was some demand for service.

I would think its mostly related to the (W) getting the axe and the Broadway line getting screwed over during the service cuts or something of that matter. Also had to be because people didnt like having to go to State & West to get an x27, x28 or x29. I havent been down to that area in a minute so I'm not too sure how things are now. But I did remember there was a push for service around that area.

Archived