Express bus cut talk

Via Garibaldi 8

How would we know if we never had the WFC service?

That's another way of asking... what I'm asking.

What would be the point of demanding for something, if it's currently happening, ya know.....

Down by State/Battery Place & Broadway, the demand for the regular 27s and 28s were really high, unless you mean by the other side by the west side highway where the x7, x9 and the others stop at, there was some demand for service.

I would think its mostly related to the (W) getting the axe and the Broadway line getting screwed over during the service cuts or something of that matter. Also had to be because people didnt like having to go to State & West to get an x27, x28 or x29. I havent been down to that area in a minute so I'm not too sure how things are now. But I did remember there was a push for service around that area.

oh, I know the concentration of 27/28 riders that embarked along broadway... that was (& still is) quite heavy....

I was referring to over there by the actual WFC area... where those SI expresses you speak of, stop at/pan along....

ever since they got rid of the x6, I haven't been over on that side either; the battery pk city general area (as close as I am to the west side hwy), so we're in the same boat.....

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm already in a pissed off mood over the Amtrak/blizzard situation so people should not test me today:

When people see these big buses with cushioned seats, they immediately become envious. They think, "How come those riders get nice buses while we have to ride smaller, slower, and more crowded buses?" Every time there's a thread about service cuts, the express bus is always mentioned. I'm f*cking sick of this. It's even worse at Subcrap. Granted, there are some express bus routes that are quite empty outside of rush hour, but there are people who want to get rid of ALL express buses. As a Springfield Gardens resident, I simply hate taking a crowded (E) train and then waiting 15 minutes in the freezing cold at Jamaica Center for a crowded Q85 bus with rowdy high school kids. Call me whatever adjective you want. I don't care. If I had the money then I wouldn't set foot in the subway. I'd only take the LIRR and express bus. I've been on X1's and X17's that were SRO. The express bus isn't just a useless luxury.

YOU ARE LETTING YOUR ABILITY TO THINK LOGICALLY BE OVERRIDED BY YOUR PERSONAL FEELINGS!!! And THAT is exactly way R30A and Weinturd go after you like that, your posts leave you open to take a stab at you.

And the MTA cries poverty, but they spend money for unnecessary projects like Jay Street/Metrotech. Bottom line, I'm sick of express bus riders being scapegoated.

Oh hell no! I find that transfer extremely useful because I have direct access to the ferry terminal by taking the (R) train if necessary, how is that transfer useless???

Then again, this is about buses, not the subway, so save the subway argument for something else.

You are acting extremely friggin paranoid. You've stated so many times that you don't even have the money to ride the X63, or any express bus in general as you please, but if you're single-handedly going to support having the MTA continue running buses that are constantly empty, operation costs exceed the norms to provide the service to the passengers in the first place who are not even using it then what's the point?

Most of my law school classmates drive cars to school. I'm one of the few guys who waits in the cold for the Q20/44. And then when I get on, I have to deal with the John Bowne hoodlums. Let's get one thing straight. I'm a railfan, not a busfan. I don't like buses. There are some exceptions like Megabus and express buses, but I don't see the thrill in a bus that is crowded and slower than other traffic. At least the Orion V CNG looks nice and makes a cool engine noise. The NG's are some of the ugliest buses.

Okay I have to agree with you on the last statement...cuz it is true (lol)

However your argument is going to be a waste of keystrokes if you're just bringing bus types into the mix like this....

I was referring to over there by the actual WFC area... where those SI expresses you speak of, stop at/pan along....

ever since they got rid of the x6, I haven't been over on that side either; the battery pk city general area (as close as I am to the west side hwy), so we're in the same boat.....

Yep, I remember a month or two after the x37 and x38 were axed, they were contemplating a way to bring service over onto that area and another proposal to try and bring back the M9 to Battery Park City ( I was totally agreeing with that plan from the day they started doing that). From what I understand, it would follow the x7 & 9 down there then head to the tunnel to Brooklyn. I'm not sure if the routing plans were changed since from what I have read, there will be variations of the x27 and x28 being created.

The last time I was down there was when the QM7, QM8 & QM25 were introduced to the area (bleh :tdown:) and down by the WFC area, they were talking about proposals to bring service to that area. While I do think its a good idea, I dont really see it lasting for a long level of time, a year or two probably...

you know what I found odd about waiting at 23rd st sometimes for a 28/38....

Well, I knew it was a checkpoint, but the supervisor (or whoever the dude out there be w/ the clipboard and the thin MTA jacket) would always press people to board the x28 (even if the x38 didn't have as many ppl. on it).... I never understood that... and there would be a line of about 20 or so deep waiting also.. of course, there's no way of knowing how many of them needed 27/37 service, as opposed to 28/38/29 service....

I think I mouthed off one time & said how come I can't board the 38... he said something to the effect of the bus going back to the depot... which was BS b/c there were people still on there, and the bus pulled into 23rd/broadway signed as an x38.....

maybe that was an omen of things to come or something, iono....

If I were to guess, those would have been the earlier 37/38 trips... not implying that every 37/38 was crushloaded of course, but the majority of em around the 6-7pm timeframe... yup....

I was guilty of letting 28's go, for a 38, when I used to wait for them over there by the main library, and lo & behold, I wadn't in the same boat....

That last statement there, I made that same point, when Shortline was going crazy w/ those "doomsday" threads back then, as well as 1 or 2 other threads talking about the 27/28/37/38..... That has always been my stance on the two routes (37/38), and instead, the MTA did what they did with them....

and those south of (houston?) will have to wait even longer for a 27/28 b/c all of a sudden, they want to introduce a new variant... Incredible.

I wonder if there were ever any type of demand for WFC service to begin with....

You're referring to the Road ops crew. They're like dispatchers

I want to quote several messages but the multiquote isn't working for me so I'll only address this misguided post:

wtf...

1) YOU started this thread, specifically titled "Express bus cut talk"... What the hell did you think people were gonna come into this thread thinking this was about..... Why do you think KR came at you the way he did...

2) You can defend FG if you want... Of course he'll come up & co-sign you all day b/c you're making points in his favor he doesn't care to make....

It feels good to finally have an ally against the haters and someone who understands where I'm coming from.

See me (and those of us that are privy to his BS), I refuse to defend people that continually that shits on our local buses & subways (some railfan, right)... and the people that use them... I mean, just look at how he described John Bowne students...

You mean those kids who think the n-word is part of Webster's dictionary?

3) That analogy you made there is way off base.... This aint on no robin hood shit.... When do you ever hear of ppl explicitly state, or imply, that all express bus service should be cut, to put more local buses & subways on the road.... The ppl. that are on that BS, make those claims b/c they feel the funds it takes to maintain, upkeep, and run the things can be used elsewhere.... You're makin it sound like, oh, let's cut the x1 and put more service on the S79 (for example)... aint no one on that tip, dude...

Oh please. It's pure envy. And the fact that you mention that the money used for express buses could be used elsewhere shows that express bus riders are considered a lower priority than everyone else, which proves my point.

4)

Sitting up here BS-ing much?

Playing brand new as to why you don't realize why express buses ever started.... When you have elitist ass folks (NIMBY's included) that still hold onto a stigma about the subway, and it being SO damn dangerous... When you have express bus riders that think EXACTLY like FG - the subway is filthy, there's rats, that is so beneath me (even though HE wont admit that last one, this is how he comes off).... the local buses, OMG, the thugs, the hoods, it's so crowded, this, that, and the third....

I'll reiterate that while I wait for the bus, my classmates drive cars to school. It sucks being on a cold bus with bags of chips and sunflower seeds on the seats and the bus crawls in traffic. Sometimes if the bus is running "hot" then the B/O will deliberately slow down, even though that inconveniences passengers on the bus. Local buses suck. Express buses are great and I have no qualms about Select Bus service either.

F**k it, I'm goin in right now....

His constant outcries of express bus hate is, and always has been a goddamn band-aid argument.... Those of us that witnessed what went down b/w FG & LRG know what's up... It's a class issue with this guy... he HATES the fact that he has to ride subways & local buses b/c it puts him in a perceived class of people he simply does not want to associate with... THIS is why he's so adamant about ppl. who bring up anything negative about the things.... There's nothin wrong with wanting the best for yourself...

Just don't shit on the next man, to boost yourself up in going about doing so.

LRG and I had a beef that started at Subchat. However, that's in the past. Both of us moved on. As for the main issue, I simply prefer a luxury coach bus that travels on a highway over a cramped NG that crawls on the street. Who wouldn't prefer that?

LRG and I had a beef that started at Subchat. However, that's in the past. Both of us moved on. As for the main issue, I simply prefer a luxury coach bus that travels on a highway over a cramped NG that crawls on the street. Who wouldn't prefer that?

But then what if that luxury coach bus crawls on the highway?

It happens, but not as often as a local bus crawling on Flatbush Avenue or Jamaica Avenue. I'm not against all non-express buses. The B103 uses a highway (albeit, briefly). The original M98 route also used a highway and was basically a local version of an express bus. I like both Select Bus routes. It is simply a pain in the ass to be stuck in traffic on a crowded local bus.

It happens, but not as often as a local bus crawling on Flatbush Avenue or Jamaica Avenue. I'm not against all non-express buses. The B103 uses a highway (albeit, briefly). The original M98 route also used a highway and was basically a local version of an express bus. I like both Select Bus routes. It is simply a pain in the ass to be stuck in traffic on a crowded local bus.

Not as often? Shieeeet, if your words were actually true, I'd actually believe you. If KR was lookin at this thread, I bet he'd tell you the horror stories he had to go through every week on the L.I.E, shit, I've been on some of those trips were we were just STUCK on the L.I.E!

It feels good to finally have an ally against the haters and someone who understands where I'm coming from.

Ally my ass...

You always needed other people to reinforce points for you...

You mean those kids who think the n-word is part of Webster's dictionary?

It aint just about those kids... It's what you think of ANYONE that embarks upon anything that isn't an express bus... let's not play with each other here.....

Oh please. It's pure envy. And the fact that you mention that the money used for express buses could be used elsewhere shows that express bus riders are considered a lower priority than everyone else, which proves my point.

Those are the opinions of the express bus haters, not the average rider, and definitely not the MTA (or else the things wouldn't be in service in the first place)...

You're tryin to paint this picture that the majority of commuters are envious of express buses....

are you really that out of touch with reality.....

I'll reiterate that while I wait for the bus, my classmates drive cars to school. It sucks being on a cold bus with bags of chips and sunflower seeds on the seats and the bus crawls in traffic. Sometimes if the bus is running "hot" then the B/O will deliberately slow down, even though that inconveniences passengers on the bus. Local buses suck. Express buses are great and I have no qualms about Select Bus service either.

Speaks for itself....

Do I even have to mention the "envy" within that first statement....

Simply, you having a preference, again... isn't the issue...

Your swaying tactics won't work on me....

Put it to you this way...

The more you bitch about express bus hating, the more people will call you out for your hatred for local buses.... Don't dish what the hell you can't take....

You sure have a funny way of showing it.

In all the years I've used the X63, we were stuck in the HOV lane ONCE. I've also been on a BxM7 that was caught in a traffic jam on the RFK Bridge. The only express bus route that I consider to be slow was eliminated (X29). 9 out of 10 times, the express bus will haul ass on a highway.

That's just not true....

That last little statement alone shows you've obviously haven't been on enough express bus routes during rush hour....

I'll let you pick any 9 out of 10 buses, bus routes, individual runs, idc, that take the Queensboro Bridge b/w 5-6pm...

You mean to tell us only 1 of those buses will crawl on the LIE or the QB.

yeah, ok....

I've rode the X1 and X10 several times, and there were instances that I've crawled along the Gowanus Expressway due to weekend road construction as well as traveling opposite the peak direction on weekdays. In addition, cars that use the BQE lead cause the traffic because that path is extremely narrow.

I've rode the X1 and X10 several times, and there were instances that I've crawled along the Gowanus Expressway due to weekend road construction. In addition, cars that use the BQE lead cause the traffic because that path is extremely narrow.

Ditto, once coming from Staten Island on an x1 ( I didn't want to waste an hour on the S74 ), I was stuck on the Gowanus for 45+ minutes. Nothing was moving, just on a standstill. I ended up wasting more time on the Gowanus than I would've with the S74 and the S.I Ferry, man did I feel retarded on that day!

Not saying that I hate the x1, I love riding it back from Staten Island, it just gets caught in the worst of situations one way or another.

I'll let you pick any 9 out of 10 buses, bus routes, individual runs, idc, that take the Queensboro Bridge b/w 5-6pm...

You mean to tell us only 1 of those buses will crawl on the LIE or the QB.

yeah, ok....

Other than being on several trips with KR. I can tell you that between 5pm and 7pm, any express route that goes via the L.I.E gets stuck in traffic no matter what. Any of the QMs, the BM5 and any of the normal x buses to Queens would get stuck because the lower AND upper level gets hit hard....exiting the Queensboro Plaza on the lower level is a real task for those bus operators, everything just crawls. Its a real pain in the ass.

One day, I'll get some videos of how shitty the traffic is and how many buses just get stuck on the L.I.E.

You're referring to the Road ops crew. They're like dispatchers

MTA Road ops, those people who drive ford escape hybrid

type vehicles, me thinks they are above the title of dispatcher,and they are superintendents. They are most definitely white shirts and part of management.

I could be partially right or totally wrong.

Ditto, once coming from Staten Island on an x1 ( I dont want to waste an hour on the S74 ), I was stuck on the Gowanus for 45+ minutes. Nothing was moving, just on a standstill. I ended up wasting more time on the Gowanus than I would've with the S74 and the S.I Ferry, man did I feel mentally handicapped on that day!

Not saying that I hate the x1, I love riding it back from Staten Island, it just gets caught in the worst of situations one way or another.

Other than being on several trips with KR. I can tell you that between 5pm and 7pm, any express route that goes via the L.I.E gets stuck in traffic no matter what. Any of the QMs, the BM5 and any of the normal x buses to Queens would get stuck because the lower AND upper level gets hit hard....exiting the Queensboro Plaza on the lower level is a real task for those bus operators, everything just crawls. Its a real pain in the ass

I can think of a few routes that rarely get stuck in traffic:

X42-the FDR is a bit sluggish, but traffic is always moving. Once we get past the entrance to the Brooklyn Bridge, traffic is smooth sailing to the Battery. The Gowanus is not as bad as people claim (neither is the Verrazano or SIE).

X63-in the morning, the Van Wyck is sluggish. However, that's only a small portion of the route. The HOV lane on the LIE saves time (with that one exception). In the evening, we usually catch at least five green lights in a row on Queens Blvd. Queens Blvd is only bad during the holiday season when Queens Center Mall is congested

X17J-there is a minor delay entering the Lincoln Tunnel, but once we get to the Turnpike, it's smooth sailing

Other than being on several trips with KR. I can tell you that between 5pm and 7pm, any express route that goes via the L.I.E gets stuck in traffic no matter what. Any of the QMs, the BM5 and any of the normal x buses to Queens would get stuck because the lower AND upper level gets hit hard.... exiting the Queensboro Plaza on the lower level is a real task for those bus operators, everything just crawls. Its a real pain in the ass.

One day, I'll get some videos of how shitty the traffic is and how many buses just get stuck on the L.I.E.

funny stuff, man I tell ya....

This idea that express buses just coast along it's respective routes w/ little to no interruption/delay/whatever (and for the fair sake of debate, I'm not even factoring in construction), takes the cake....

Most times during the late afternoon hrs, anything b/w the queensboro bridge entrance, and that LIE exit off Van Dam st, is a chokepoint....

On the Brooklyn end, While buses do have a tendency to move whilst in the Brooklyn Battery, as soon as traffic on the gowanus merges w/ the traffic off the BQE, that's another chokepoint... which often lasts up until you get to the Belt pkwy/Gowanus expwy divide.... where you see a line of 25-30 vehicles all vying to get off @ the 86th st exit....

The Bronx... anything on the Deegan is hit or miss... I'll say it's 50/50, in that, you either get buses that do coast along the way, or... they get stuck... and when they get stuck on the Deegan, it's often at a standstill... meaning that speedometer is reading ZERO...

The one thing I will give w/ the Bruckner is that, for the most part, expresses do run smooth along it... only real trouble parts along the bruck, is pretty much anything east of the bronx river overpass (or w/e you wanna call it)....

So this idea that 9/10 of the time, express buses will haul ass on the highway, is complete & utter hogwash....

When people (plural) can backup what I say with their OWN personal experience(s), that tells me I'm not pulling shit out of my ass... that tells me, I can see far past the crap that some euphorically biased so & so wants to toss @ us just b/c it sounds good....

What "should be" isn't what's really real....

express buses (and subways that run express) in NYC are a clear example of that....

and I'm not even an "express bus hater".....

X42-the FDR is a bit sluggish, but traffic is always moving. Once we get past the entrance to the Brooklyn Bridge, traffic is smooth sailing to the Battery. The Gowanus is not as bad as people claim (neither is the Verrazano or SIE).

X63-in the morning, the Van Wyck is sluggish. However, that's only a small portion of the route. The HOV lane on the LIE saves time (with that one exception). In the evening, we usually catch at least five green lights in a row on Queens Blvd. Queens Blvd is only bad during the holiday season when Queens Center Mall is congested

X17J-there is a minor delay entering the Lincoln Tunnel, but once we get to the Turnpike, it's smooth sailing

I don't know about the x63 enough... but yeah, after buses pass a certain point, they do move on QB...

It's the x63's stint on the Van Wyck I don't care for....

You're only picking the x42 b/c it's one of your favorite routes.... Yes, buses do tend to move on the FDR, I'll give you that.... but the Gowanus isn't as bad as people claim? tell the thousands of motorists take drive on that shit, daily.... they'll shut that BS down quick....

and A MINOR delay entering the Lincoln Tunnel?

LMFAO....

I don't know about the x63 enough..

You're only picking the x42 b/c it's one of your favorite routes.... Yes, buses do tend to move on the FDR, I'll give you that.... but the Gowanus isn't as bad as people claim? tell the thousands of motorists take drive on that shit, daily.... they'll shut that BS down quick....

and A MINOR delay entering the Lincoln Tunnel?

LMFAO....

I've been on that x17J numerous times, there's a good way of delays on that Lincoln Tunnel, but I'd have to agree with him on that point, the x17J is also a hit & miss, you either get stuck in the tunnel and fly the rest of the way or get stuck in the tunnel along with portions of the turnpike, then fly. The last 2 times I rode it, it was definitely a hit and miss. I was pretty much crawling in the tunnel then hauled ass the rest of the way, the other occasion, crawled through portions of the turnpike, then we flew all the way into the NWK Airport and through the bridge. But as always, it depends on the day, and the time of day...

The x42 would get stuck in traffic just as much as the other S.I and Brooklyn express routes do, so I dont really see that as being better than any of the others, I'm assuming its because its a "via F D R" route.... The gowanus would strangle any route that goes along that in terrible traffic, that x42 is no exception.... I might be mistaken but doesnt that line go via the Staten Island expressway as well? That too gets beaten into an oblivion at times with traffic...

The x63, dont know too much about it, all I know that it has an exit I think at Linden Blvd on the Van Wyck, I might be confusing it with another route but yeah. Queens Blvd is a pretty nice fly through and its trouble at times, but the Van Wyck is the main issue of the line. I can say that I've witnessed them Queens Village express routes fly through Queens Blvd. It's the L.I.E and the Van Wyck that would be the trouble spots....

As a matter of fact, I dont think the x63 even goes through the L.I.E at all. But Queens Blvd does have its bad times...

Ally my ass...

You always needed other people to reinforce points for you...

It aint just about those kids... It's what you think of ANYONE that embarks upon anything that isn't an express bus... let's not play with each other here.....

Those are the opinions of the express bus haters, not the average rider, and definitely not the MTA (or else the things wouldn't be in service in the first place)...

You're tryin to paint this picture that the majority of commuters are envious of express buses....

are you really that out of touch with reality.....

Speaks for itself....

Do I even have to mention the "envy" within that first statement....

Simply, you having a preference, again... isn't the issue...

Your swaying tactics won't work on me....

Put it to you this way...

The more you bitch about express bus hating, the more people will call you out for your hatred for local buses.... Don't dish what the hell you can't take....

I actually don't hesitate to ride the majority of local buses in Manhattan, especially Madison Ave/5 Ave lines even when they're a bit crowded because the people are usually civilized. However some local buses particularly in the outer boroughs are just ridiculous. They act like sub humans, and they have no class whatsoever, so that's where FG is coming from and I agree with him. That's why I generally take car service to the express on Staten Island when my normal express bus stops running.

It's not about being elitist, it's about class. Most express bus riders are decent middle class folks and we just want a nice quiet ride to and from our destination without any riff raff.

Now if you want to sit here and deny that some local lines are like a jungle then that's fine, but you and I know that would be a lie. As with everything there are exceptions to every rule. There are plenty of local bus riders that DO have class and carry themselves in a decent way, just like you have some savage like express bus riders.

With regards to disdain for express bus riders, believe me, some local bus riders hate express bus riders. I have heard comments mumbled from local bus riders like "Oh, he can't take the local bus. He takes the express bus". Note that I said mumbled because they knew not to even approach me... I see how they look at us on the bus when the express bus pulls in... Nothing but disdain and jealousy because they wish they could be riding it, but they can't because they can't afford it. People always want what they can't have...

Unless you're talking about these routes during off peak hours I have to disagree with you. The FDR can be a major pain in the ass. I know because I've used the X14 for years before it started stopping Downtown.

The Holland Tunnel coming home especially is usually pretty slow unless it's a time when everyone has left town. After that it can be fast if the B/O knows how to drive... Otherwise it can be a good 40 minutes... To be honest, I always give myself a good additional 20-30 for traffic because there usually is always something.

Going via New Jersey in the morning is usually faster, so much so that I can get to my office in an hour. Going home via NJ is usually an hour and a half.

Now off peak hours can be great, but I'm also aware of when I should give myself more time even then. The X1 and X10 can be dreadfully slow on Saturday mornings taking the Gowanus so I always give myself at least an extra half an hour just in case depending on where I have to be.

I can't talk about the X63 because I haven't used it. I've only used the X68 and the QM1A.

Archived