Winter weather today and service

Via Garibaldi 8

Kudos to all of the B/Os today who came in. The weather especially on Staten Island is terrible. Visibility is really tough, but the express buses were running pretty decently on my trip to and from the city today...

What has been your worse commute with the MTA due to the weather?

Props on that first statement!

and as for my worst commute...

Easy.... I remember it like it was yesterday too....

I had just came from an interview at a temp agency; twas around 2006.. over there in east midtown... I was in a binness (business) suit & all... shoes included... turns out, the interview was postponed for a "later date" (which never came)... It was snowing that day btw (not like today though)...

...but anyway, instead of going straight home, I'm not gonna front, I was a little pissed off.... So I just started walking up madison av; made it to about the East 50s... where I just said f**k it, and boarded a BxM9, b/c my feet started hurting (turned out, I got blisters on my toes)... That day I learned I cannot walk fast in no shoes...

Fast forward, chick was moving along madison av, 3rd av, bruckner.. then we get to that (left) exit on the bruckner where it's on a downward's slope (it's around the hunts point area IIRC)... the bus is skidding, but she did this thing of accelerating a bit, then decelerating... I'm like, what type of technique is this, we're gonna crash into something... I don't know how we got out of it unscaved, but we did....

fast forward from that... we eventually get to tremont av... pax starts disembarking & what not... then we get to harding av.... there's an upwards slope along harding av at that point... she asks am I getting off, I said nah... as she was asking, she decelerated (as if she thought I was gonna say yes)... and that's where the trouble started.... we couldn't make it up the slope b/c we lost momentum off the turn.....

(those that are familiar w/ harding av, over there by e tremont av may know what I'm talking about)....

long story short, we got stuck on that incline for a good 20 mins.... there was some cocksucker in a tow truck that gave the b/o the finger as he drove around us... anyway, she kept stepping on the gas... and nothing....

what ended up happening, was that a manhattan bound bxm9 reversed course, came from the back of us, and gave us a boost up that slope....

She (the b/o) was apologetic about it... I said, don't worry about it... we both exchange laughs about it all.... I got off at the last stop... said thank you, and I was on my way to catching the Bx8

* That was my first ride on the BxM9 btw.

Props on that first statement!

and as for my worst commute...

Easy.... I remember it like it was yesterday too....

I had just came from an interview at a temp agency; twas around 2006.. over there in east midtown... I was in a binness (business) suit & all... shoes included... turns out, the interview was postponed for a "later date" (which never came)... It was snowing that day btw (not like today though)...

...but anyway, instead of going straight home, I'm not gonna front, I was a little pissed off.... So I just started walking up madison av; made it to about the East 50s... where I just said f**k it, and boarded a BxM9, b/c my feet started hurting (turned out, I got blisters on my toes)... That day I learned I cannot walk fast in no shoes...

Fast forward, chick was moving along madison av, 3rd av, bruckner.. then we get to that (left) exit on the bruckner where it's on a downward's slope (it's around the hunts point area IIRC)... the bus is skidding, but she did this thing of accelerating a bit, then decelerating... I'm like, what type of technique is this, we're gonna crash into something... I don't know how we got out of it unscaved, but we did....

fast forward from that... we eventually get to tremont av... pax starts disembarking & what not... then we get to harding av.... there's an upwards slope along harding av at that point... she asks am I getting off, I said nah... as she was asking, she decelerated (as if she thought I was gonna say yes)... and that's where the trouble started.... we couldn't make it up the slope b/c we lost momentum off the turn.....

(those that are familiar w/ harding av, over there by e tremont av may know what I'm talking about)....

long story short, we got stuck on that incline for a good 20 mins.... there was some cocksucker in a tow truck that gave the b/o the finger as he drove around us... anyway, she kept stepping on the gas... and nothing....

what ended up happening, was that a manhattan bound bxm9 reversed course, came from the back of us, and gave us a boost up that slope....

She (the b/o) was apologetic about it... I said, don't worry about it... we both exchange laughs about it all.... I got off at the last stop... said thank you, and I was on my way to catching the Bx8

* That was my first ride on the BxM9 btw.

Back in 2007 during that snow storm I got stranded... Instead of leaving the office early, I left at my normal time, went across the street from the office and waited for an x14 or an X30 at around 06:20 or so. All of the other regulars were there waiting... Nothing...

About 7pm or so an X12 came I said f**k it and got on, thinking I'd just catch a S54 at Manor & Victory. The bus eventually became SRO Downtown and about 2 hours later we got to Manor & Victory.

I can't remember how long I waited for an S54 but there was nothing... I then took a Victory Blvd bus up to Clove thinking I'd have a chance of catching an S53... Still nothing. Tried to call Clove Lake Cars, whose garage was literally down the street... They told me no cars were going out because of the storm, so after about 40 minutes of hoping for an S53 I gave up. Another Victory Blvd bus came and I took that down to the ferry and then caught a

S48 back towards Forest...

I kid you not... I got home at midnight...

And now everytime it snows, I give my boss a look like uhhh... Early dismissal.

Speaking of hills, we had that problem last year with an X16. The B/O almost got stuck on coming up the service road and then again along Victory too... Tonight there were no problems with the X10 on the service road, but I got an S53 and further along the service road there were several cars stranded there and we almost got blocked in...

From what I've seen the buses on Staten Island were running but very slow & nobody was on them. And they were only using the hybrids, which didn't have chains on them!

There was a S53 though that detoured and used Richmond Terrace because of a car accident on Castleton.

I saw mainly hybrids, especially on the S53... The S79 had mainly hybrids too, but they were doing okay. Actually the express buses had more problems than the hybrids.

Buses were stuck and stranded all over last night. The B/O's did the best they could under extreme circumstances. You still have buses stuck this morning from last night. The B/O has to stay with the bus, that is rough.

I sure hope supervision understands when a bus hits a parked car in this kind of weather.

They were advising the B/O's to not pull into the bus stops because of snow banks so they wouldn't get stuck.

DSNY and the other city agencies sure have their work cut out for

them since the temps are still going to be below freezing for the next few days.

Aside from the standard limited buses running local, the MTA's website says the Bx12 Select Bus Service is making local stops as well. It didn't mention anything about the M15, but I'm guessing it's the same.

LIB is now suspended.

SCT is now suspended until noon except for 8A and S92.

Since I'm still snowed in from yesterday, I'll talk about my commute yesterday.

After I got off work, I decided to go to Old Navy in Herald Sq since the bus (M16) stops right there. As I'm walking to the freight elevator and push the button, I find out that the elevators (both of them) was frozen and stuck on the bottom floors, so I had to walk down the ramps to get to the bus stop. After about 10 minutes of slipping and cursing the wind I finally made it downstairs to the bus stop. There's about 12 people already waiting there so I asked them how long have they been waiting. Some of them said 45 mins. So then I checked the schedule via that new texting thing the (MTA) has for the M16 and they said 5 minutes. 5 minutes turn into 10, then into 20, then into 45, then an armada of buses (about 5 in a row) all pull into Waterside Plaza at the same time. I get on the first one and as the bus was pulling out the bus stop, the bus started to slide sideways then gets stuck in a pothole. So the 2nd bus pulls up behind my bus and starts to push but it doesn't work. So then the 3rd bus pulls up behind the 2nd bus and starts pushing the 2nd bus (which is still pushing my bus at that) and finally we're free.

Now fast forward to 34 St. As we're going up 34 St & Park Av (there's a hill there), the bus starts to slide again. After what seems like forever, the bus (the 5 M16s, plus 2 M34s, 3 Q32s, and a M4 lol) makes it to Herald Sq. I get inside Old Navy and its packed like crazy. All I was able to get was a jacket & a vest.

Now fast forward even faster later that night. Afte leaving a friends house, me & some friends walked to the Ralph Av (C) train station and go downstairs. As we walk down the platform, there's about 6 inches of snow in the station and its still comming down. We all laugh at it, and even started throwing snowballs at each other and passing (A) trains, and made a little snowman on one of the benches :cool:. Once we get to Bway Junction, its a warzone there. The whole station was packed like it was Grand Central. Upstairs on the (J) plazform, there was people waiting there for over an hour waiting for the train. After about another hour, the train finally comes and goes real real slow

After I got off work, I decided to go to Old Navy in Herald Sq since the bus (M16) stops right there. As I'm walking to the freight elevator and push the button, I find out that the elevators (both of them) was frozen and stuck on the bottom floors, so I had to walk down the ramps to get to the bus stop. After about 10 minutes of slipping and cursing the wind I finally made it downstairs to the bus stop. There's about 12 people already waiting there so I asked them how long have they been waiting. Some of them said 45 mins. So then I checked the schedule via that new texting thing the (MTA) has for the M16 and they said 5 minutes. 5 minutes turn into 10, then into 20, then into 45, then an armada of buses (about 5 in a row) all pull into Waterside Plaza at the same time. I get on the first one and as the bus was pulling out the bus stop, the bus started to slide sideways then gets stuck in a pothole. So the 2nd bus pulls up behind my bus and starts to push but it doesn't work. So then the 3rd bus pulls up behind the 2nd bus and starts pushing the 2nd bus (which is still pushing my bus at that) and finally we're free.

Now fast forward to 34 St. As we're going up 34 St & Park Av (there's a hill there), the bus starts to slide again. After what seems like forever, the bus (the 5 M16s, plus 2 M34s, 3 Q32s, and a M4 lol) makes it to Herald Sq. I get inside Old Navy and its packed like crazy. All I was able to get was a jacket & a vest.

Now fast forward even faster later that night. Afte leaving a friends house, me & some friends walked to the Ralph Av (C) train station and go downstairs. As we walk down the platform, there's about 6 inches of snow in the station and its still comming down. We all laugh at it, and even started throwing snowballs at each other and passing (A) trains, and made a little snowman on one of the benches :cool:. Once we get to Bway Junction, its a warzone there. The whole station was packed like it was Grand Central. Upstairs on the (J) plazform, there was people waiting there for over an hour waiting for the train. After about another hour, the train finally comes and goes real real slow

I waited for about 30 mins for an S53. I figured there wouldn't be car service to take to the express bus... Once it came it was like limited stops all the way to Hylan Blvd. When I arrived, I had just missed an X1, but another arrived about 20-25 mins later and we were in the city by 16:00. The commute back was even quicker. An X10 arrived immediately as I got to 13th and Bway but I decided to wait for an X1, which never came, but an X10 came 20 mins or so later. All in all the entire commute was 3 hours or so.

Did anybody see the channel 2 news around noon? They showed video of Queens Blvd westbound service lane in front of the Queens Center mall, there was a bus(Q60?) stuck at an angle with it's hazards on.

Just heard over the radio, a B/O has been waiting for 21 hrs to get a road truck. JAY WALDER, all this falls on you, off with your oversized bald head! Cuomo will kick this guy out as soon as he can.

MTA Long Island Bus Winter Weather Service Advisory Status

MTA Long Island Bus service has been suspended at this time due to weather and road conditions.

Able-Ride will be providing essential service only

thats what it says on mta's site..

i was at work this morning doing a tripper so i wonder if they cancelled service now. buses where stuck all over the place today. i got stuck for a hour until the bosses came and got me out.

First time today, an M8 has passed the home where I'm staying for a few days.

The M1 / M2 / M5s backed up are yet to be freed, that was about 10 am I first saw them.

I didn't see one S53 near Broadway. In fact apparently several buses have become stuck, some since last night and passengers have been sleeping overnight on some buses. They expect to get them out maybe tomorrow. Many of the streets still haven't been shoveled yet, which is the main problem.

That snowball part was funny. I've never seen that done underground.

They put "Good Service" even for buses that aren't running... :)

I haven't seen a Q85 run by in a day.

N1 - N88 Good Service

I peeped that earlier, also....

Guess they felt compelled to put that status for LIB on there, on one of the worst snowstorms we've had in a lil minute...

i.e.: When LIB's aint running, it amounts to good service !!! (lol)...

b/c when they do, we know they run like pure s***....

Archived