NBA, NHL and other sports thread-Winter/Spring 2011

Shortline Bus

Shifting back to the NHL for a moment. The Avs with having their better season in a few years have signed Peter Forsberg for a contract for rest of the season.

So looks West Favorites the Red Wings, Blackhawks and current #1 seed the Canucks have a challenge.:eek:

As a Nordique/Avalanche fan from way back when, I'm glad to see Forsberg back in an Avs uniform even if he is 37. He needs to go out with class the way Sakic did. He will bring some leadership to a very young team on the ice and some skill that they currently lack with so many guys on the shelf. As you said I don't see them making it too far this year, especially if they continue to play like they have of late, but they will be a good team in a few years. They just need to tighten up defensively and get healthy because they're really deep, but just need more experience. :cool:

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been watching their games of late and they're really deep and actually a bit nasty this year, which I haven't seen in the more recent Canucks teams. The big question for them as always is can they do what they do in the regular season in the playoffs?

The playoffs come around and suddenly Luongo becomes leaky and their offense goes into a shell. I think they learned something after the loss to the Blackhawks. They were good last year, but far too cocky and it came back to bite them in the @ss. This year they seem to be on a mission, so we'll see. I think they can take the west if Detroit's goaltending continues to be a problem. I think the Flyers will come out of the East with the way they're playing currently.

Indeed, they seem to have made the necessary corrections to get far in the playoffs. And our backup goalie Cory Schneider has been absolutely solid; he's improved a whole lot since last year. I'm predicting they get at least to the Conference Finals, if not the Stanley Cup Finals.

I have to admit, it would be a really weird situation if the finals were Canucks/Flyers. I'd be despised around there. :confused:

Indeed, they seem to have made the necessary corrections to get far in the playoffs. And our backup goalie Cory Schneider has been absolutely solid; he's improved a whole lot since last year. I'm predicting they get at least to the Conference Finals, if not the Stanley Cup Finals.

I have to admit, it would be a really weird situation if the finals were Canucks/Flyers. I'd be despised around there. :confused:

Yeah, you'd be called a canuck and quite a few other names that I won't mention. LOL

Just watchted it on NBATV. He was a great guy and sad to see him go. His system was one of the best with the cutting screens and back screens, screen & rolls. That will never be replaced.

Very true indeed. I don't think the NBA will see for a while if ever again a coach staying with the same team for 20-plus years.:eek:

:tup:Not just the Knicks and Rangers are having their best season's in a while but another MSG club is also 'back' in a big way.

St John's Univ. Red Storm in a brutal Big East Conference not only back on the map but for the first time in a while NYC's most popular college basketball team should make the NCAA Hoops Tournment.

Last Night 2/10/11 they beat UCONN. Not to mention they blew out last season's champions Duke recently as well.

Anyone else a college hoops fan?

I got to watch Forsberg tonite in his first game back. For a 37 year old he didn't look like he missed a step out there. The guy can still play, is still nasty and can still set other guys up. I hope he plays tomorrow against Nashville... :cool:

And oh yeah... a few blow outs tonight...

Red Wings crushed the Bruins 6 - 1 and the Islanders are winning 8 - 3 over the Penguins.

Two Sundays from now the Heritage Classic will be played outdoors as the Habs are playing the Flames up in Alberta. McMahon Stadium in Calgary is said to hold 45,000 to 50,000 folks. Should be a great game... B)

P.S. Tomorrow Hockey day in Canada.... Triple header on CBC... :cool:

The Knicks are back to .500. I made the mistake of believing that they were a legitimate playoff team. And I wish I could go a day without hearing the word Carmelo.

Were not you and other Knick fans FG stating they cpuld finish as high as the #5 or #6 seed and win a round in NBA Playoffs?

Being fair as long as the Knicks make the post season and get at least a #7 seed (probably lose in 4-5 games to the Celtics)this would be a descent season. Remember this club was a non-factor and even a laughing stock when Isiah ran the team.

The Jazz have saw the last of there winning 50 games every season. The end of that era has came. The Suns took them to the woodshed last night after the Jazz were up by almost 20. After starting 23-7, they are now 31-24. They went from the number 2 seed in west to the number 7 seed.

Were not you and other Knick fans FG stating they cpuld finish as high as the #5 or #6 seed and win a round in NBA Playoffs?

Being fair as long as the Knicks make the post season and get at least a #7 seed (probably lose in 4-5 games to the Celtics)this would be a descent season. Remember this club was a non-factor and even a laughing stock when Isiah ran the team.

to their credit, they are currently 6th in the east (which isn't sayin much)... but let's not make it sound like they're 40 games under .500 & have ZERO chance of making the playoffs....

Cavs won.

A dog has to take a shit sometimes....

In a bit of suprise Utah Jazz Coach Jerry Sloan has announced his leaving the club effective immedately. Sloan the Jazz Head Man since 1988 ends a tenure in which he was the long active Head Coach/Manager of the '4' major sports leagues in North American.

I love how the sports media (namely, ESPN) are trying to spin it as to why Sloan resigned... pretty pathetic really...

Are we supposed to think that a man that's been coaching other grown men in a "professional" sport for twenty-three years, just decided to up & quit because he got into an argument with ONE basketball player (Deron Williams) ?

I love how the sports media (namely, ESPN) are trying to spin it as to why Sloan resigned... pretty pathetic really...

Are we supposed to think that a man that's been coaching other grown men in a "professional" sport for twenty-three years, just decided to up & quit because he got into an argument with ONE basketball player (Deron Williams) ?

True. Maybe more just like other men at his age, Sloan just 'quit' because he got tired of the job. If I remember correct when took over the job from then Coach Frank Layden, Sloan was the youngest coach in the NBA in 1988.

(I think Sloan was in his mid-30's and just retired).

Sloan was old, and he probably realized that the Jazz aren't going anywhere this season. However, some players do have enough clout to get a coach fired. Jason Kidd got Byron Scott fired (even though the Nets had gone to the Finals two years in a row) and replaced with Lawrence Frank.

Or perhaps the most infamous example of a star player getting a coach canned. Magic Johnson 'feud' with then coach Paul Westphal in 1981, just a season, Magic, Kareem and LA won the 1st of 5 NBA crowns.

The replacement for Westphal. A former player for the Lakers who then just retired and was the Lakers TV/Radio Anaylst Pat Riley.

Sloan was old, and he probably realized that the Jazz aren't going anywhere this season. However, some players do have enough clout to get a coach fired. Jason Kidd got Byron Scott fired (even though the Nets had gone to the Finals two years in a row) and replaced with Lawrence Frank.

I remember that. Byron Scott was 10x better then Lawrence Frank, that 12 year old looking dummy. He was the reason for the Nets going south. He is now the head assistant on the Celtics, I dont know what Doc Rivers was thinking.

It wasnt Byron Scotts fault why they lost. They just faced the better team, Lakers&Spurs. They lost to the Lakers in a sweep and the Spurs in a sweep(I think), may have been 4-1.

I am surprised no one posted it yet lol. Here clip of the now infamous Isles/Pens brawl that had made national sports news. This took place on Friday 2/11/11.

I guess it's the first time the Islanders have been on a sportscenter clip in many many moons.:eek:

Well this must be from that 8 - 3 blowout that I didn't watch. I don't even bother to watch the Islanders. They're just hopelessly terrible, but the funny thing is they seem to show up against the elite teams. I thought the brawl between the Habs and Bruins the other night was great also. The two goalies even got into it. :cool:

The Heat have been exposed. They simply do not have the depth to win a championship. They lost to the AARP Celtics.

Finally someone says this. I'm sick and tired of people throwing the Heat straight to the Finals.

There bench only scored 2 Points in that game. You cannot win a game if your bench cant score. They screwed around with there starting line-ups and benched Carlos Arroyo, who plays well in half-court situations, who had played for Jerry Sloan.

The Heat suck! I cant stand them. LBJ thought leaving the Cavs that he would get a chance to beat the Celtics. Outside of the James, Wade, Bosh the Heat doesn't have a team. They have no center, they don't rebound the ball well, there one of the worst foul shooting teams in the league, they don't play well in the half-court.

They thought beating the Lakers on xmas ment something. They caught the Lakers on one of there relax modes. The Lakers have nothing to prove.

Pat Riley spent all that money on those 3 players, that he overlooked the rest of the team. Allen Iverson would have been a perfect fit for that team!

Archived