NBA, NHL and other sports thread-Winter/Spring 2011

Shortline Bus

My godmom(cousin)lives in the Toronto area and was last in "TO" around 2004. I been to Montreal several times most recent in 2008. Did you go to Univ of Vermont at Burlington or SUNY Plattsburgh Garibalidi? Those are the last '2' US major colleges up there before Montreal.

I entered SUNY Plattsburgh at 17 and stayed there until about '03. I took a semester off to write up my proposal and such for my study abroad to be approved, etc. and then finished up in Italy. Funny thing is I enjoyed Montréal so much I considered transferring there or to Burlington. I also thought about going to the language institute out in Monterrey, but I'm glad I made the choice that I did. It's great being a linguist and a Project Manager.

However, I'm considering going to get my Grad degree at NYU or Columbia for Speech Pathology... I'm looking for something to incorporate my lingustic skills, along with helping folks learn how to speak again or improve their speech. As it is now my day is mainly spent looking at translations, approving invoices, etc. etc. and the days can be quite long. The thing is the Grad program is about 3 years long to complete and I'd have to give up my job since it would be full time... :( Decisions, decisions.

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That area on the Vermont/Southern Quebec/Northern NY state border is beautiful especially in the summer. However unless you love snow/cold, that region can be very brutal in the winter.

Anyhow was watching the Nets/Jazz game. Jersey won tonight. I guess the rumored Anothny trade to the Nets is off at least for now.

PS Does the NBA have a no-trade clause for veterans like in MLB Baseball?

Speaking of the NBA the Cavs lost there last 26 games....smfh!

As for the NBA Trades...there is no such thing as a no-trade clause for verterans. You can be will be traded if needed to. In the NBA you have Restricted Free Agents and Un-Restricted Free Agents.

Restricted Free Agents Mean: Lets say Kobe Bryant is in the last year of his contract and he is a Restricted Free Agent, that means he is able to listen to other teams to see what they offer him money wise, and lets say he chooses the Knicks and they offer him 40Million over 4years; If the Lakers want to keep him, they will match that offer by giving Kobe 41Million or anything over 40Million; over 4 years and Kobe has to sign that 41Million or whatever back with the Lakers.

Un-Restricted Free Agent Means: If Kobe is in the last year of his contract he can listen to whatever team he wants to and whatever team offers the most money he can sign with that team without having to Listen to the Lakers offer.

If your a veteran in the NBA you will be on a rent a team situation. Players like Joe Smith, Kurt Thomas, Shaquille O'Neal, Theo Ratliff ect ect.

Speaking of the NBA the Cavs lost there last 26 games....smfh!

As for the NBA Trades...there is no such thing as a no-trade clause for verterans. You can be will be traded if needed to. In the NBA you have Restricted Free Agents and Un-Restricted Free Agents.

Restricted Free Agents Mean: Lets say Kobe Bryant is in the last year of his contract and he is a Restricted Free Agent, that means he is able to listen to other teams to see what they offer him money wise, and lets say he chooses the Knicks and they offer him 40Million over 4years; If the Lakers want to keep him, they will match that offer by giving Kobe 41Million or anything over 40Million; over 4 years and Kobe has to sign that 41Million or whatever back with the Lakers.

Un-Restricted Free Agent Means: If Kobe is in the last year of his contract he can listen to whatever team he wants to and whatever team offers the most money he can sign with that team without having to Listen to the Lakers offer.

If your a veteran in the NBA you will be on a rent a team situation. Players like Joe Smith, Kurt Thomas, Shaquille O'Neal, Theo Ratliff ect ect.

Thanks for the info 553. Just wondered since in MLB they do have a 'no-trade clause' for veterans. Meaning only Pro Baseball Vets who have played in MLB for at least 10 seasons and the same club for at least i think 5 seasons can 'veto' a trade in-season. However MLB does not have a 'restricted/unrestricted' free agent rules. After '5' full seasons in MLB, you are a 'unrestricted free agent.'

Damn it's hard to remember the contract/business rules for all of the sports leagues.:eek:

Let's Go Rangers. The Blue Shirts tonight 1/19/11 beat the Maple Leafs in a blowout 7-0. Rangers like the Knicks are having a good season and should make the playoffs. Yet the MSG Hockey team have gotten almost no media attention this season. ;)

Well, I picked the Maple Leafs to win tonite... No chance of a hat trick tonite... I'm impressed at the Rangers ' ability to score this year. They've had serious offensive problems the last few years. They'll probably make the playoffs, but I don't know how far they'll go. I see the Flyers or the Penguins in the finals this year with either the Canucks or the Red Wings from the West.

Let's Go Rangers. The Blue Shirts tonight 1/19/11 beat the Maple Leafs in a blowout 7-0. Rangers like the Knicks are having a good season and should make the playoffs. Yet the MSG Hockey team have gotten almost no media attention this season. :P

.... but that's because they're the Maple Laffs.

The Nets officially ended their pursuit of Carmelo. When Mikhail Prokhorov spoke at the press conference, he sounded like a Russian villain in a cheesy sci-fi flick. Carmelo is nice, but he's not a franchise player. At best, Carmelo is slighly better than Carlos Boozer. He isn't in the league of LeBron, Kobe, or even Wade.

The Nets officially ended their pursuit of Carmelo. When Mikhail Prokhorov spoke at the press conference, he sounded like a Russian villain in a cheesy sci-fi flick. Carmelo is nice, but he's not a franchise player. At best, Carmelo is slighly better than Carlos Boozer. He isn't in the league of LeBron, Kobe, or even Wade.

I didn't care for Carmelo when he was at Syracuse....

...and after that temper tantrum he threw when LeBron was gettin all the high praises from the league in their rookie years, I lost respect for the cry baby.... Lala wears the pants in that marriage... furthermore, (and I cant stand when dudes do this) he tries to use his hometown as leverage to portray how tough he is... dude is full of excrement...

Not that I care for the Nets, but I'm glad he isn't comin here to the tri-state area...

Paul Pierce - (clutch) + (size) = Carmelo Anthony

...and lol @ Mikhail... his accent do sound funny...

The beginning of the Broad Street Bullies. 1973-1974 N.H.L. Stanley Cup Finals Game #6 Philadelphia Flyers vs. Boston Bruins Sunday May 19, 1974 Philadelphia 1 Boston 0. I was 11.

Watch Game #6 (Actual Game Broadcast 45 minutes): http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7968119586880838682#

Link will work if video doesn't.

I agree with Mikhail Prokhorov and his statements were funny with the deep accent. The endless speculation and talks of a blockbuster trade to the Nets was becoming a circus and all of these trade scenarios being pushed by ESPN was just too much. Yes, Carmelo Anthony isn't quite a franchise player [yet] and when Chauncey Billups came over a few years ago, the team became more formidable.

This opens the door for the Knicks to make a run for him if the deal works out but we can tell Amare Stoudemire deep down wants to be the main star of the team. The Knicks are now on a 6 game losing streak so the calls may now get a little more intense to get another scorer and Anthony could be a good add so long as the current team isn't broken up too much.

I lol'd watching that entire interview.

Nuggets better hope they get something for him, because NJ had the best package with 3top 10 draft picks in the lottery. If NY gets in the mix, the best they can give away is Raymond Felton, Landry Fields, Wilson Chandler. NJ was giving up Derek Favors, Devin Harris, Anthony Morrow, 3 top 10 draft picks and 3 or 4 other players. You cant get any better then that. Denver was obviously scared to pull trigger. With the trade deadline Feb.24th there in a bad situation. If he doesnt get to the Knicks by the deadline, Melo will be on a Rent-A-Player situation for the Rockets, Mavs. No other team was looking at him.

I still think what Prokhorov said put a stong hold on the Nuggets. Because now there talking to everyteam around the league and in the end, the Nets will be the best choice. However Melo will only sign a extention if the Knicks get him.

The saga continue....

Who knows the Clippers have alot of money, but I dont think they want to give up alot of there young players for a Rent-A-Player situation. And they have been eliminated from the playoffs since Nov.

Denver plays New Jersey next Monday maybe Prokhorov can get something out of that. And I think thats why he came out in public and ended it, because he knew he would see Melo.

The beginning of the Broad Street Bullies. 1973-1974 N.H.L. Stanley Cup Finals Game #6 Philadelphia Flyers vs. Boston Bruins Sunday May 19, 1974 Philadelphia 1 Boston 0. I was 11.

Watch Game #6 (Actual Game Broadcast 45 minutes): http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7968119586880838682#

Link will work if video doesn't.

Pronger is finally healthy and the big three (Richards, Brière and Carter) are playing great hockey. They've got a great cast of young players like Giroux and Leino. Their big question will be goal tending as always...

The Clippers have Blake Griffin. I can see them reaching the playoffs as the #8 seed.

In a very good NBA western division it be hard for the Clippers to get that last playoff spot. Blake Griffin if he stays healthy will be a regular NBA all star. Also shifting gears, the biggest surprise so far this season is the Spurs. They have had a great 1st half of the season. I know they are still a playoff club when I made my pre season picks but I did not think they were still a serious threat to the Lakers.

And regarding the NHL, I think the Flyers and Pens will battle in the NHL East Finals for that Stanley Cup spot.

In a very good NBA western division it be hard for the Clippers to get that last playoff spot. Blake Griffin if he stays healthy will be a regular NBA all star. Also shifting gears, the biggest surprise so far this season is the Spurs. They have had a great 1st half of the season. I know they are still a playoff club when I made my pre season picks but I did not think they were still a serious threat to the Lakers.

And regarding the NHL, I think the Flyers and Pens will battle in the NHL East Finals for that Stanley Cup spot.

That depends on if Crosby and Malkin can get healthy...

Don't count out the Bruins either. I watched them play Colorado on Saturday while I was on the express bus and I was quite impressed.

You're a Canucks fan and you live in Philadelphia??? Talk about a traitor... :P

P.S. I'm a Avs fan since the Québec Nordique days and I'm starting to hate the Canucks as much as I hate the Red Wings... ;)

Relax Garibaldi Tokkemon, is a British Columbia native now liviving in Philly. How that happened is another story?:eek:

PS Sidney Crosby is not playing in the NHL All Star Game.

Guess who back this Thursday Nite 1/27 at the Garden? Lefraud, Dwayne and the Miami Wade-Lebraon 'superteam.'

I am sure tickets will be cheaper than the eye popping $2,000 and up, scaplers woops being politically correct "ticket brokers' were charging in Mid-Dec.

Knicks in warm up to the "Superteam's' 2nd trip to NYC this season, beat a not so good John Wall DC Wizards club.

The NBA's Washington club have not won a road game this season and are among the worst teams in pro hoops.

While the Knicks MSG neighbors, the Rangers also beat their DC NHL rivals the Caps in a shoutout.

Archived