R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Lance

Typical. <_<

You'd think that after having the remaining three cars of R143s sitting around 207th Street following the Canarsie launch, someone would think it'd be a good idea to have the newer cars compatible with the older ones just as a precaution.

The R160s and R143s are not functionally compatible. R179s will not be backwards compatible either.

That makes no sense whatsoever. What's the point of being 99% identical if they aren't compatible?

To the person above, the R179 will be R160s with cameras and Bombardiers trucks. The propulsion may be different as well.

Edited by LTA1992

Sadly so. It would've been nice to see the MTA learn from that mistake since the R143s are isolated, but I could never understand how the R160B (which was built by Kawasaki) can't run with it's predecessor R143. Looks like those Canarsie yard cars will be donors unless they were 'converted' the way the R142As are into R188s.

It would of been good of them if they had of order more R143's to replace some of those R40's and R42's from the J,M,L, Z lines

And more R160's could of been helpful for the A,C,R and J lines.

MTA never thinks of always being ahead of themselves and stuff like the R44's body issues leaves them screwed.

But they wants to spend lots of money for the SBS M34/M34A and that route is only 20 minutes and it basically is the same.

And that silly repainting and wrapping of those OG's which are not even that old referring to the 06-07 batch.

But they wants to spend lots of money for the SBS M34/M34A and that route is only 20 minutes and it basically is the same.

And that silly repainting and wrapping of those OG's which are not even that old referring to the 06-07 batch.

Save that for a different thread....

Sadly so. It would've been nice to see the MTA learn from that mistake since the R143s are isolated, but I could never understand how the R160B (which was built by Kawasaki) can't run with it's predecessor R143. Looks like those Canarsie yard cars will be donors unless they were 'converted' the way the R142As are into R188s.

What is 8277 doing right now anyway?

The R143s were basically test cars for CBTC and replacements for the R27/R30s. They were never meant to be anywhere else other than the (L) line. Not counting the (M) shuttle back when they were new.

Edited by LTA1992

Actually, at the time the R143s were ordered, the L required far fewer trains. As such, the R143s were anticipated to make up the entirety of the L fleet as well as a bit of the M fleet. The L has skyrocketed in ridership since then and needs more capacity every year!

What is 8277 doing right now anyway?

Sitting at Yonkers. Last I remember hearing of it, the car may have sustained frame damage, thus rendering it beyond repair, but that was almost a year ago now. If anyone has updates on that it would be nice, but this is not the thread for it. What interests me is that Bombardier has not yet updated its site to reflect the purchase award.

After much anticipation, and delays, the MTA is finally set to awards a base contract for 290 cars in little more than 90 days.:cool:

The order will consist of:

*50 trains made up of 5 cars each.

*10 trains made up of 4 cars each.

Included in the contract are funds for training, spare parts, tools, diagnostic testing equipment, and other services that will be needed to support the fleet. The awards was originally scheduled for August of last year.

Why are they buying trains that have a 19 year life span, this i don't understand

Guest Lance

Since when do the R179s (or any of the new tech fleets) have a nominal lifespan of 19 years? All of the new cars ordered are expected to last at least 40 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh give me a f**king break! The one time Kawasaki isn't gonna be involved in a NYCT car order, and this happens! I swear if I have to hear that damn Alstom propulsion on these things I'm gonna flip!

I really hope Bombardier gets to keep this one. They still got the BART contract even after Alstom protested Bombardier getting the award.