R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

IAWTP.

Maybe, Maybe I could understand the © staying at 8 cars if it would mean more service. But I think it's fairly clear the (MTA) has little desire to increase service, because that would mean more $$ for crews. If you give the © 10 car trains but keep headaways the same, that's not a problem and at least there's more capacity. Yes, the (MTA) could decrease service with full-length trains, but I think full-length trains with current headaways is the best deal. Ideally, the © could have full-length trains and more service, but beggars can't be choosers.

the C is packed in Brooklyn until Nostrand, then it empties out a bit by time it gets to Utica. So, cutting Brooklyn service wouldn't be wise, along with providing merging delays.

Well, on the subject of the 207 and Pitken yard. They have to get overhauled sooner or later so it's technically not a waste of money. (Not saying you said that but others may)

Yes they will, but for what type of equipment we dunno as of yet, and if its for equipment that isn't even on the design board yet, it would have to be modified again later on. Just remember TA wants to be cheap as possible and is perfectly happy with putting things off. What's unknown is whether 207 will be servicing NTT's for the first time or just R46's (in the latter case all is needed is parts). Pitkin wouldn't have to change anything at all.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly think the latter will occur, as the barns in Jamaica/CI are already equipped for NTT, and whatever computer upgrades are needed will be cheaper than overhauling the 207 and Pitkin barns, which doesn't have the overhead equipment that Jamaica/CI have just yet. The C won't get 8 car units because the C and A have often shared equipment in the past (and presently during the summer), and giving the line linked 4 car units will also inadvertently hamper the A from getting spares. I feel this way as it is the cheapest option, further delaying necessary barn updates for the older barns. There is a chance that if the G is based out of Court sq again (as supposed to Church, which means it will terminate at Smith-9 again) that it could get some R160 5 car units as a result.

Good points. I agree about the A and C sharing trains and that it would make more sense to have the A/C take on the R46s displaced from JYD. I can see JYD getting those R179s* and that way the MTA can put off overhauling Pitkin and 207th.

Imo, making the C all R46s [even though it means even a slight 'service increase'] would be cheaper in the short term compared to renovating the yards to accommodate the NTTs.

*or R179s to CIY and bumping off the R160s to JYD.

I am certain that they are going to the C now.

New C Line Cars Four Years Away

By Kristen Meriwether

NEW YORK- New York subway riders who frequent the C line are one step closer to enjoying brand-new subway cars, after Gov. Andrew Cuomo and the MTA announced an order for 300 new rail cars on Thursday. Riders will have to have patience, however, as the new cars, the R179 model, are not expected to be delivered until late 2016.

The C line cars entered into service in 1964 and are the oldest model still in operation. “They are the lowest performer on the system, somewhere in the 50,000 [mile] range between failures,” Bill Hunter, executive director of Permanent Citizens Advisory Committee told the MTA. “But they are still better than some of the cars that we have had in the past.”

“They are good cars; they are just old,” Hunter added.

In addition to fewer miles between scheduled maintenance, the MTA has to move the older cars to open air lines with more frequency during the summer months, to keep the air conditioning system cooler.

The new R179 will feature state-of-the-art climate control system, as well as digital voice announcements and route signage.

On a 12-month rolling average, the newest equipment in the MTA fleet is running approximately 646,000 miles between failures, said Hunter. “That is compared to what you had in the 1970s, when you had cars breaking down every 7,000-8,000 miles,” he noted.

The $600 million contract for the new cars was awarded to Bombardier Transit Corporation, located in Plattsburgh, NY, keeping the money in the state.

Federal funds already in the MTA capital plan, totaling $306 million, will help finance the order, along with pending and future federal grants.

“They are overdue, but [there is] not much you can do about it. You can’t buy the cars just off the shelf or the rack, or out of a dealership,” Hunter said. “You have to do it this way, and it takes a long time.”

http://www.theepocht...way-212812.html

Edited by Roadcruiser1

I don't exactly know what the J would do with 200+ R179s arranged in 4 car sets.

260 in 5 car sets, 40 in 4 car sets was never a plan to my knowledge.

I would assume the reason for the C not going to 600 feet is that they do not wish to purchase the additional cars which would be required for such.

The original plan was 250 in 5 car, and 40 in 4 car. I read this personally on an MTA document. When I read the updated version, the only change was 260, up from 250.

Well it's certain that the R32's will be scrapped so the R46's would be sent to the A line for a while.

Don't forget many of the R46 cars will go to Staten Island. The A already had plent 46's.

Edited by East New York

I hope they use their propulsion from the previous tech trains. Then I wouldn't mind it AS MUCH being on the C. If they use the Siemens propulsion i'm going to die.

Bombardier's latest heavy rail cars projects (CTA 5000 series and TTC Rocket) have incorporated their own MITRAC propulsion system. I imagine they'll use the MITRAC propulsion system in the R179s.

Edited by WMATA

Bombardier's latest heavy rail cars projects (CTA 5000 series and TTC Rocket) have incorporated their own MITRAC propulsion system. I imagine they'll use the MITRAC propulsion system in the R179s.

Thank god.

Look at story #1 in the MTA Home Page!!

Theres a picture of the R179, well atleast a mockup.

http://mta.info/default.html

I'm thinking the R-179 will have 2 different versions of that NYC subway car model: 1st version will be a 5-car train set similar to the R-143-R-160, while the 2nd version will be a 4-car train set similar to either the R-160A-1 or the R-44, R-46, and the R-68/R-68A.

For those of you that haven't heard MITRAC.

They sound a lot like the R142's, but are much sharper and louder. They would be music to any railfan's ears. It would especially give the NYC Subway a special kick. If the R179's have this propulsion a distinction between the new tech trains would be clear.

Edited by Roadcruiser1

If the (C ) is getting them, is there a direct announcment off the MTA that it will? Regardless of the news saying this.

Most of the media don't even know what the (C ) line uses, rather then saying R32, they are sayingt he (C ) line cars

Edited by mark1447

Most of the media don't even know what the (C ) line uses, rather then saying R32, they are sayingt he (C ) line cars

It's a pet peeve of mine. And besides, when summer comes, the general public will probably think it's the R32 or R46.