Questions about Fulton/Broad St (J)

Calvin

After the (J) leavin Chambers St on weekdays, it stops at Fulton/Broad St on weekdays.

I wonder why does the (J) have to be closed from Fulton/Broad St on weekends only, but lettin it be open on weekday late nights and can they close Fulton/Broad St on weekday late nights?

Also, will the tracks connecting Broad St (J)-Court St (R) be removed?

After the (J) leavin Chambers St on weekdays, it stops at Fulton/Broad St on weekdays.

I wonder why does the (J) have to be closed from Fulton/Broad St on weekends only, but lettin it be open on weekday late nights and can they close Fulton/Broad St on weekday late nights?

Also, will the tracks connecting Broad St (J)-Court St (R) be removed?

Because on weekends, those stations would have very low ridership. Why is there a need to remove those tracks? It still can be used for moving work trains & trains to CI.

Those tracks I would say would never be removed. Even thought the Nassau-Montague St Cut isn't in Revenue service, the cut can be used for East NY to Coney Island Yard Train Moves, work train moves, G.O.'s.

Now as far as I'm concerned, why the (J) doesn't go past Chambers on the weekends is because, the (4) & (5) parallel the (J) to Broad St. Why run 2 of the same lines to the same area?.

Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall (4)(5)(6) / Chambers Street (J)

Fulton / Broadway / Nassau (2)(3)(4)(5)(A)(C)(J)

Bowling Green (4)(5) / Broad St (J)

Basically where the (J) goes beyond Chambers St, the (4) & (5) go to as well. Also, I wouldn't think the demand for Nassau St service is needed on weekends because it serves the heart of the Financial District (Wall St Area) and those are mainly Monday thru Friday Operations...

Zach

The MTA is not going to remove the tracks for the Montague Street-Nassau Street passageway for the same reason that the MTA did not remove the tracks for the old "K/KK route" between the Broadway-Lafayette Street station and the Essex Street station - now used by the M-train - something that many transit fans wanted. These tracks provide flexibility for the operation of the subways - just like the tracks that allow for resumption of the old M-train route along the Brighton Line just outside of the DeKalb Avenue station, or the track connections of the J and L trains.

Just because there is not a train route presently traveling over the tracks is no reason to remove the tracks in an already built and useful connection. That connection may just have a use in the future, and provides for flexibility.

--------------

The very basic reason for the closing of the Fulton and Broad Street stations on the J-train has to do with the manpower savings - the TA does not have to pay for the manning of those stations (token booths, cleaning staff) and the tower personnel at Broad Street. The Chambers Street station is set up in a way that allows the train operator of each J-train to relay into and out of the station without need of a train tower or other personnel. This is cheaper for the MTA.

The rationale of the MTA is that the #4 and #5 lines are nearby - true - but the real reason is the reduction in personnel costs.

Mike

The MTA is not going to remove the tracks for the Montague Street-Nassau Street passageway for the same reason that the MTA did not remove the tracks for the old "K/KK route" between the Broadway-Lafayette Street station and the Essex Street station - now used by the M-train - something that many transit fans wanted. These tracks provide flexibility for the operation of the subways - just like the tracks that allow for resumption of the old M-train route along the Brighton Line just outside of the DeKalb Avenue station, or the track connections of the J and L trains.

Just because there is not a train route presently traveling over the tracks is no reason to remove the tracks in an already built and useful connection. That connection may just have a use in the future, and provides for flexibility.

--------------

The very basic reason for the closing of the Fulton and Broad Street stations on the J-train has to do with the manpower savings - the TA does not have to pay for the manning of those stations (token booths, cleaning staff) and the tower personnel at Broad Street. The Chambers Street station is set up in a way that allows the train operator of each J-train to relay into and out of the station without need of a train tower or other personnel. This is cheaper for the MTA.

The rationale of the MTA is that the #4 and #5 lines are nearby - true - but the real reason is the reduction in personnel costs.

Mike

The main question being asked here though is why the (J) uses Fulton and Broad weekday late nights. From 1 a.m. Saturday morning to 5 a.m. Monday morning, the station is closed.

I guess they don't want to have someone close a station for only four hours at night when they could just keep it closed four hours on weekends.

According to the current Service Guide, once on Friday nights at 12 midnight when the Fulton Street and Broad Street stations are closed - they remain closed all weekend, until Monday morning.

That same service Guide also reports that the Fulton Street and Broad Street stations are open during the midnight hours on the weekdays. In effect, on Mondays at 6:30am through Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and on Friday until midnight - those stations are open the whole time - at least according to the guide.

So from Friday night midnight (Saturday morning 12am) all of the way to Monday morning 6:30am those stations are closed - at least according to the guide. Not having to have manpower for those stations is still a savings in money.

Those stations are not closed merely for a period of 4 hours.

The service guide that I'm talking about exists on the MTA website under Transit Authority Maps.

Why remove the tracks to the Montague Street Tunnel when they could be used by future subway services, and for yard moves. It's like asking to remove the tracks linking the IND Crosstown Line to the IND Queens Boulevard Line. You can use those tracks for yard moves, and future services so no they will not be removed.

I understand what you're saying...I said that it wouldn't make any sense to have the station closed at night for only four hours...according to the (J) train timetable, the last (J) train leaves Broad Street Saturday morning at 12:58; the first train leaves Broad Street Monday morning at 5:15. At the station itself, the station says they are open from 5 a.m. Monday to 1 a.m. Saturday. If the station was closed for only four hours on a weekday night and reopen the next morning, that would be an utter waste.

Ok, I understand you.

Yes, it would be an utter waste of time and effort to merely close a station for 4 hours.

Not on the exact topic, but related, during the city's fiscal crisis of the 1970's there was talk of shutting down the subways during the midnight hours - effectively from 1am to 5am - the same 4-hour period. The arguments flowed back and forth - but basically the prevailing idea was that it was simply too much trouble to close the subways for just a 4-hour period - the savings are really not that much.

In this case however - with the complete WEEKEND closings there are still manpower savings. It is the manpower savings that can drive many of the train operations and services at the TA.

Mike

On Friday August 27,1976, the 70(K) made its' final run. The tracks and third rails were left in place in the Chrystie Street Connector and it lay dormant.

It took until Monday June 27, 2010 for a regular service to once again use the Chrystie Street Connector - the new (M).

Who's to say that, maybe, in the future, there might be regular Nassau Street service via the Montague Street Tunnel once again?

Even for a short time in the late 1960's - that RR train was called the RJ and ran to 168th Street-Jamaica along with the QJ, and JJ trains. It was later shortened to Chambers Street and then called the RR, a rush-hours only variation of the RR line. Of course later on the QJ and JJ trains were reformed into the J-train.

Mike

Guest lance25

It's truly an interesting dichotomy between the two stations: Brooklyn Bridge looks like it just opened while Chambers St, right on the other side of the wall, looks like it hasn't seen service in decades.

I wished they would fix up Chambers Street. When I was young I thought that station was haunted or something. It was something you would see in a horror film. That ghost station with ghost trains pulling in that is what it looked like, and it still does. Just seal up some platforms, and redo it so it would look better. It doesn't really cost much if you just do it to one platform, and shut down the rest, and seal them up.

Guest lance25

I think part of the reason, aside from the monetary costs, that Chambers St hasn't been fully renovated is because the station is a historical landmark, which sometimes makes it harder to change anything. Don't quote me on that as it's only my opinion.

Archived