Routes that aren't around that should be

Bus Guy

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I think the 70(SS) Culver Shuttle might have been a good connection between the (D) at Ninth Avenue and the (F) at Ditmas Avenue today. You could restore the former 13th Avenue and Fort Hamilton Parkway stations.

It can't happen now. On the 9 Av end, its used to move garbage trains. On the Ditmas end, there's a cement mixing plant smack in the middle of the way

Why not just create a service that does almost the same thing as the Culver (S). I think you can branch the (G) off the Culver Line at Fort Hamilton Parkway, and have it run down Fort Hamilton Parkway to serve Dyker Heights, but at the same time you would have connections to the (D), and (N) at their Fort Hamilton stations. Run it all the way down to 86th Street like back in the IND Second System Plan from 1939.

Why not just create a service that does almost the same thing as the Culver (S). I think you can branch the (G) off the Culver Line at Fort Hamilton Parkway, and have it run down Fort Hamilton Parkway to serve Dyker Heights, but at the same time you would have connections to the (D), and (N) at their Fort Hamilton stations. Run it all the way down to 86th Street like back in the IND Second System Plan from 1939.

Stop stealing my fantasy map ideas!

;)

The Second System was a bunch of bloated over zealous people who didn't really understand what they were getting themselves into, hence the IND going broke after massive construction without thinking of how to pay for it.

EDIT: Sorry for this post being completely off-topic. lol

The Second System was a bunch of bloated over zealous people who didn't really understand what they were getting themselves into, hence the IND going broke after massive construction without thinking of how to pay for it.

EDIT: Sorry for this post being completely off-topic. lol

The IND overexpanded, plain and simple. While I do applaud their grand scheme, they should've concentrated on the outerboroughs first [where areas were underserved] and then work their way into Manhattan than to just mirror other lines that already exisits.

imo, the IND should've built the SAS before 6th Av since the Path line was there.

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

It can't happen now. On the 9 Av end, its used to move garbage trains. On the Ditmas end, there's a cement mixing plant smack in the middle of the way

It can happen on 9 Ave. There are 3 tracks and only 1 track (the middle one) is used for the garbage train. So the other 2 tracks can be used for the shuttle.

Here is proof.

This is the remaining Culver Shuttle ramp at Ditmas Avenue. If you look at it you would see to rebuild the line we would have to destroy part of a concrete mixing plant.

img_102142.jpg

This is the Ninth Avenue portal to the Culver Shuttle note that the ROW has been partially destroyed.

img_112209.jpg

This is where the 13th Avenue station on the Culver Shuttle ROW use to exist. Now houses exist here. You would be removing people if you want to rebuild it.

img_112210.jpg

Plus I don't see much demand for a rebuilding of the Culver Shuttle unless it's to please several foaming rail fans. It's best here to remove the last bit of stub at Ditmas Avenue, and to remove the tracks at the Ninth Avenue station portals to the former Culver Shuttle, and to seal up the lower level of the Ninth Avenue station at the former Culver Shuttle portals, and for the (MTA) to sell the land at the approach to the former Culver Shuttle at the Ninth Avenue side to build housing which would give the (MTA) some much needed money.

Don't quote me on this but I believe that remaining stub of the Culver Shuttle at Ditmas wasn't removed because it is part of the support for the WHOLE structure shown in the picture. Otherwise it would have been removed already.

That's correct, just like the upper level of Myrtle Av can't come down either. Every few years the TA looks into taking them down, but it can't be done with out compromising the structure.

and to remove the tracks at the Ninth Avenue station portals to the former Culver Shuttle, and to seal up the lower level of the Ninth Avenue station at the former Culver Shuttle portals, and for the (MTA) to sell the land at the approach to the former Culver Shuttle at the Ninth Avenue side to build housing which would give the (MTA) some much needed money.

Sure you can do this! But then the MTA will lose the garbage train. Or did you forget the garbage train uses 9th Ave lower level (or at least the middle track of the lower level)?

Then there is still the NYCTM fan trips to 9th Ave...

But the middle track for the garbage train is also going in and out the portal. You can't deny that. So that will be a problem, unless you want to reroute it, but to where?

Archived