The 2011 Major & Minor League, College Baseball & Baseball Card Thread

EE Broadway Local

Jimenez isn't going to be that big of a difference maker for Cleveland the way Lee was last year for Texas. Plus how Colorado didn't want the Yankees to do a thorough exam on him raises red flags.

Bedard to boston is interesting as it helps stabilize the rotation, but I dunno how he'd fare in Boston. Concidering King Felix is the only player worth giving up a boat load of prospects for and everyone else trying to milk the Yankees for more, I have no problems with them not making a trade. They are better off with what they have even if next year becomes a rebuilding year.

The mere fact that he was traded tells something is truly wrong with Jimenez that the Rockies know.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's exactly what I mentioned above.

As for the Indians and Jimenez, I don't think it really improves the team by that much. AL central doesn't really concern me. Detroit if they win, probably are the biggest threat because of at least Verlander.

Don't forget they have a great hitter in Miguel Cabrera who is like an American League version of Albert Pujols.

OK, so, for all you Yankee fans out there, Hughes pitched well tonight.

Let's play manager. What do you do with the rotation? Girardi has said he doesn't want a six-man rotation for too long.

The obvious move would be to ship Nova down to the minors -- BUT he's been pitching too well for that.

Hughes could also be sent down (I don't believe he's out of options yet) BUT he could continue pitching like he did tonight. Plus the whole "oh he won 18 games for us last year" caveat.

Bartolo Colon could be sent to the pen, the job he was originally hired for -- BUT it seems that he's broken out of his funk since he came off the DL and has regained his first half form.

Sound off.

It's great Hughes pitched well, but I think we need another start out of him before they can give him back the starting role. Nova deserves to stay as sending him back down could hurt his confidence. Colon, I think you'd get 5 solid innings, but I think he would be best if he was the long man in case the other starters came up short or injuries came up meaning a starter would have to be bumped.

I think it is a mistake that Girardi isn't even going to concider going with a 6-man rotation. CC would stay on his 5-day routine, but everyone else would pitch when it's their turn. The added rest for the vets [Colon, Garcia] and the 'youngsters' [Hughes, Nova] would help them in terms of limiting their innings.

It's great Hughes pitched well, but I think we need another start out of him before they can give him back the starting role. Nova deserves to stay as sending him back down could hurt his confidence. Colon, I think you'd get 5 solid innings, but I think he would be best if he was the long man in case the other starters came up short.

I think it is a mistake that Girardi isn't even going to concider going with a 6-man rotation.

The only problem with the six man rotation is that you still have to keep Sabathia on regular rest and that messes it up. I think Tampa Bay is going with a six man rotation right now, though. I guess we could see how well it works out for them.

BTW, are the Pirates falling apart or what? When a crappy Cubs team tags you for multiple HRs and beats you two nights in a row, you are in free fall.

Pirate fans will scream bloody murder about the Jerry Meals call from last week. With that said, the team needs to snap out of quickly or their 'nice season' can turn into only a disappointing 75-80 win season.

Still an improvement by Pittsburgh but after being in 1st place deep into July for 1st time since 1997, but a letdown for them.

Pirate fans will scream bloody murder about the Jerry Meals call from last week. With that said, the team needs to snap out of quickly or their 'nice season' can turn into only a disappointing 75-80 win season.

Still an improvement by Pittsburgh but after being in 1st place deep into July for 1st time since 1997, but a letdown for them.

To make matters worse, the Pirates have lost 7 of their last 10. But Jerry Meals isn't the only one to blame, star bats like Neil Walker and Andrew McCutchen have not brought in more RBIs and Kevin Correia has been losing more than he's winning. He had 11 wins by the All-Star break. Now, he's 12-9 with a 4.71 ERA.

I know CC should be on regular rest. everyone else including Burnett would have to work around CC's schedule.

Btw, the post you quoted was edited, as I made that point already.

The question is, then, how much rest becomes too much rest? Garcia last pitched July 31, and CC pitched the day after. In a regular six-man rotation, Garcia would pitch August 6... but CC on regular rest is also scheduled to pitch the same day, so Garcia was bumped to August 7, giving him seven days of rest. I think that's too much. If they absolutely have to keep CC on regular rest I don't think the six man rotation is worth it.

I'm still miffed at the fact that teams have 5 man rotations now.... the way they coddle & baby these pitchers nowadays is disgusting.... this is a large reason why you'll never see another 300 game winner again.....

I know they're doing this 6 man thing to weed out who's gonna get the last spot b/w Hughes & Nova... but you'll start gettin a team or two down the line that'll say hey, lets run w/ a 6 man rotation for the season & see how that works out for us, since we don't have a real "ace" in our staff....

I don't see why Hughes & Nova even have to "battle it out" for a starting spot in the middle of the season - just that train of thought alone isn't all too smart.... Hughes lost his position, Nova stepped his game up a bit....

Right this second, the SP job should be Nova's.....

This is like that BS w/ the miami heat back in 06.... riley up & had a leave of absence when they were stinkin.... (stan) van gundy stepped up & took over and got that team to the playoffs.... When they start progressing, now all of a sudden riley rears his head.... Worse, that ring was credited to him instead of van gundy.....

Great. More fire for the Red Sucks animals to throw at us. First the dollar bills, then the Madonna masks, then the needles, now playing cards.

The timing of this makes me wonder if MLB is trying to kick him while he's down. It's not like we're suffering without him, but...

Great. More fire for the Red Sucks animals to throw at us. First the dollar bills, then the Madonna masks, then the needles, now playing cards.

The timing of this makes me wonder if MLB is trying to kick him while he's down. It's not like we're suffering without him, but...

It may not be as bad as Barry Bonds or the Dodgers Frank McCourt but I am sure "A-Rod' will never be the top choice for any family dinners for Bud Selig any time soon.:eek:

The question is, then, how much rest becomes too much rest? Garcia last pitched July 31, and CC pitched the day after. In a regular six-man rotation, Garcia would pitch August 6... but CC on regular rest is also scheduled to pitch the same day, so Garcia was bumped to August 7, giving him seven days of rest. I think that's too much. If they absolutely have to keep CC on regular rest I don't think the six man rotation is worth it.

Yeah, that's true. If it has to be one of the 3 [Hughes, Garcia, Colon] to go to the pen, it would probably be Hughes. But I still hope that maybe Hughes is starting to turn around and be the guy he was last year.

Garcia and Colon won't cut it against the 'elite' teams as they can only beat the bottom deweller teams. That's why if Hughes does well, then at least they have a better shot in a best of 7 series. [There's no way Girardi should ever let Burnett pitch on 3 days rest ever again.]

Yeah, that's true. If it has to be one of the 3 [Hughes, Garcia, Colon] to go to the pen, it would probably be Hughes. But I still hope that maybe Hughes is starting to turn around and be the guy he was last year.

Garcia and Colon won't cut it against the 'elite' teams as they can only beat the bottom deweller teams. That's why if Hughes does well, then at least they have a better shot in a best of 7 series. [There's no way Girardi should ever let Burnett pitch on 3 days rest ever again.]

Hughes will make at least one more start, against the Angels next week. Nova has said he'd prefer being shunted to the pen rather than sent down.

Girardi should not let Burnett pitch in August, what with him pitching tonight like Hughes did against Oakland.

At this point, Burnett is the odd man out. I think it's best they make him the long man from the pen. With another shortened start, he isn't helping the pen at all.

Nova is right, he's pitched well enough to stay in the majors. It isn't fair to him to shuttle him back and forth from the bigs to the minors. It's also good they are giving Hughes one more start. That would settle things to see if he can stay in the rotation or if he should go to th pen.

This is a load of crap. This has nothing to do with baseball. A-Rod should have the right to do what he wants as long as it does not go against MLB rules.

I laughed when I heard about this..... kick a man when he's down why don't you.....

OTOH, A-Rod continues to bring this s*** onto himself...

really, illegal poker???

Archived