The 2011 Major & Minor League, College Baseball & Baseball Card Thread

EE Broadway Local

I'd rather have Nova start over Hughes anyway... from that aspect, I'm glad Girardi put Hughes in there last night...

...and with the way the MLB is talkin, they're serious about adding another wildcard slot..... this way it would place more emphasis behind winning a division..... what I don't like about it, is that the 2 wildcard teams would have to play to get in; kinda like the 64th (the 16 seed that would play the overall #1 seed) & 65th spots in the NCAA final four trny.....

if you ask me, it's a way to try to lessen the chances of 2 teams comin out of the AL East almost every year.... I think the focus/reason of the change, is that simple.....

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only good out of the 94 strike was the addition of 2 more teams in the playoff mix. But given how generally the Central and the West have their weak teams, I feel that the divisions should go back to being East-West only, but 2 WC teams based on record. This would minimize a situation like in 2006 where the Cards with the worst record of the 8 final teams from getting in.

Yay. It gets them back to .500, but the Mets still aren't contenders this season. If they make smart moves in the next few years, they should be able to be contenders soon.... assuming they don't collapse again.

And the Yankees learned a pretty valuable lesson this year. When a player like Posada has caught as many games as he had, it isn't as simple as slapping him at DH and hoping he will perform. Jason Varitek is about Posada's age and the Sox still let him catch on a limited basis. I don't see why the Yankees can't do the same with Posada. Players like Joe Mauer and Brian McCann, in my opinion, will most likely suffer the same fate as Posada once they near the end of their careers.

As a Yankee fan, seeing Posada on a steady decline this year, after watching all the years he played, it's pretty upsetting. He can't run anymore, the Yankees refuse to let him catch, and he isn't hitting. He's not even going to be a DH anymore. The once elite catcher of the game isn't worth much to the Yankees anymore. This is most likely Posada's final MLB season, and it hurts to see his skills leave before he leaves the game. Hopefully, Jesus Montero, Dellin Betances,Manny Banuelos and another good prospect (there are many) can be a new Core Four as the current three are going to retire very soon.

...and with the way the MLB is talkin, they're serious about adding another wildcard slot..... this way it would place more emphasis behind winning a division..... what I don't like about it, is that the 2 wildcard teams would have to play to get in; kinda like the 64th (the 16 seed that would play the overall #1 seed) & 65th spots in the NCAA final four trny.....

if you ask me, it's a way to try to lessen the chances of 2 teams comin out of the AL East almost every year.... I think the focus/reason of the change, is that simple.....

According to most mlb media sources, it's pretty about a 98-99% chance in next CBA contract with the MLB players union, an extra wild card in each league (2 making it 10 spots in both AL/NL)will be approved. Only question remains is whether it will be a 1-game winner take all(my prefered choice as we don't want the world series ending on Thanksgiving Eve:p)or a best two out of three series.

Although a two out of three is a 'fairer' system, the goal is avoid playing the playoffs deep into October or 1st week of November. Imgaine playing the LCS or World Series on a 35-40 degree nite w/ snow flurries in say Denver, Cleveland or Minnesota?;)

As you make a good point bro, the added wild card will provide more interest in MLB deeper in Sept./Early October in '2' more cities/fan bases away from tuning out to College Football or NFL. And most important, getting more tv monies as the current TV contract of Turner and Fox broadcasting the MLB playoffs ends following the 2013 World Series(correct me if i am wrong).

Awesome hit by Lucas Duda to win the game for the Mets tonight. This is about the only good news on this horrible day.

Hell Yeah! Happy for the Queens kid, Mike Baxter, first pitch he sees, smacks

a double. I know the season isn't over yet, but I would put Terry Collins up

there for NL manager of the year...

Hell Yeah! Happy for the Queens kid, Mike Baxter, first pitch he sees, smacks

a double. I know the season isn't over yet, but I would put Terry Collins up

there for NL manager of the year...

I felt great for that guy. He is a lifelong Mets fan and it is cool to seem him do this for us.

Yay. It gets them back to .500, but the Mets still aren't contenders this season. If they make smart moves in the next few years, they should be able to be contenders soon.... assuming they don't collapse again.

And the Yankees learned a pretty valuable lesson this year. When a player like Posada has caught as many games as he had, it isn't as simple as slapping him at DH and hoping he will perform. Jason Varitek is about Posada's age and the Sox still let him catch on a limited basis. I don't see why the Yankees can't do the same with Posada. Players like Joe Mauer and Brian McCann, in my opinion, will most likely suffer the same fate as Posada once they near the end of their careers.

As a Yankee fan, seeing Posada on a steady decline this year, after watching all the years he played, it's pretty upsetting. He can't run anymore, the Yankees refuse to let him catch, and he isn't hitting. He's not even going to be a DH anymore. The once elite catcher of the game isn't worth much to the Yankees anymore. This is most likely Posada's final MLB season, and it hurts to see his skills leave before he leaves the game. Hopefully, Jesus Montero, Dellin Betances,Manny Banuelos and another good prospect (there are many) can be a new Core Four as the current three are going to retire very soon.

Don't forget Austin Romine. He's another top prospect in the Yankee farm system. He's a catcher who defends his position way better than Montero but does not possess his batting skills. He's the younger brother of Andrew Romine who is with the Angels now.

The way tonight's game ended againest the Angels was inexcusable... I thought Granderson would have known better then to steal. In my honest opinion, with Cano due up after Tex, if Tex gets a base hit the Angels would have to face another very dangerous hitter. I didn't see the need to steal second like the way Granderson did there

tonight's game had walkoff written all over it....

you get some guy throwin 97-98 mph... never establishes the strike zone in the bottom of the 9th.... you get two men on base... reach the heart of the lineup.... 2 outs...

....and you get caught tryna steal 2nd base when you're down by two runs....

smfh... incredible....

they tried to do the same thing that got them back in the game in the 7th.... should've never gotten to that point anyway, had girardi have burnett walk somebody w/ a man on base & 2 outs.... Burnett was pitchin pretty good up until that point.....

...and mariano blowing 2 games in a row; I don't know what the hell he was thinkin either, w/ that pitch selection to a guy like Abreu....

Two in a row is pretty rare for Rivera. I think in tied games I would use Robertson for the top of the ninth

I'm watchin the game, and I'm like, what happened to Robertson....

I don't have near as much faith in Rivera in tie ball games (what they now call "holds"), as much as I do when he has a lead - due to the tendency of batters tending to get bloop hits off him....

tonight's game had walkoff written all over it....

you get some guy throwin 97-98 mph... never establishes the strike zone in the bottom of the 9th.... you get two men on base... reach the heart of the lineup.... 2 outs...

....and you get caught tryna steal 2nd base when you're down by two runs....

smfh... incredible....

they tried to do the same thing that got them back in the game in the 7th.... should've never gotten to that point anyway, had girardi have burnett walk somebody w/ a man on base & 2 outs.... Burnett was pitchin pretty good up until that point.....

...and mariano blowing 2 games in a row; I don't know what the hell he was thinkin either, w/ that pitch selection to a guy like Abreu....

What I wonder is: why does Girardi still let pitchers pitch to 'killers' like Abreu and Ortiz? He should walk them [provided there's a spot open and not bags full]. that's just asking for them to hit the potential game winning homer or hit.

Screw pride/ego, you do what you must to WIN games no matter how 'cowardly' it seems.

I'm watchin the game, and I'm like, what happened to Robertson....

I don't have near as much faith in Rivera in tie ball games (what they now call "holds"), as much as I do when he has a lead - due to the tendency of batters tending to get bloop hits off him....

Let me nitpik here. A "hold" is when a pitcher enters a game in a save situation and does not give up the lead and is not the final pitcher in the game. If he gives up the lead, he is tagged with a blown save, but if he does not, he is credited with a hold. If a pitcher enters when the game is tied, that is not a save situation, so a pitcher won't get a "hold".

I felt great for that guy. He is a lifelong Mets fan and it is cool to seem him do this for us.

And he is staying at his parents house in Whitestone, a 10 minute drive

to Citi Field. Art Howe who managed the Mets about 8 years ago used to

live in Whitestone also. He will be starting tonight in LF.

Awesome hit by Lucas Duda to win the game for the Mets tonight. This is about the only good news on this horrible day.

YAAAY! After his suckish last year, it's good that he is shaping up to be a mini-star. Who knows, he could just be the next Beltran (ironically, to replace Beltran).

What I wonder is: why does Girardi still let pitchers pitch to 'killers' like Abreu and Ortiz? He should walk them [provided there's a spot open and not bags full]. that's just asking for them to hit the potential game winning homer or hit.

Screw pride/ego, you do what you must to WIN games no matter how 'cowardly' it seems.

Agreed. Baseball should be more about strategy, and less about brute force. John McGraw taught us that. Why can't we have another 1890s Orioles in the Majors? It would make the games SO much more interesting to have a villain...

I am sure the phone lines on WFAN and ESPNNewyork will be jammed with some callers stating "Mo" is done as a Yankees closer.:eek:

That day will come for sure but not for awhile. Only concern is if he gets

injured(he will be 42 in a few months).

He still has excellent numbers for a closer. His strikeout totals are down but the hits are less then innings pitched. Only 5 walks in 44 innings. He is on pace for 40+ saves this season.

The Yankees do play the Angels 5 more times(3 in LA next month) but a

7 game lead in the loss column for the wild card is pretty secure at this

point of the season.

YAAAY! After his suckish last year, it's good that he is shaping up to be a mini-star. Who knows, he could just be the next Beltran (ironically, to replace Beltran).

Agreed. Baseball should be more about strategy, and less about brute force. John McGraw taught us that. Why can't we have another 1890s Orioles in the Majors? It would make the games SO much more interesting to have a villain...

True. In a way one of the reasons why many teens/young adults under age 25 in America prefer the NFL NBA and even the NHL to MLB for favorite sport now is the lack of excitement. I am not saying baseball has to go to the turn of the 20th Century w/ John McGraw style with the oringal O's and later the NY baseball Giants. Or even to the Roaring 1920's/early '30's Babe Ruth era lol.

ESPN the main source for all sports news in America other than brawls or someone hitting 3 homers in a game right now on August 10, 2011 has most of their "Sportscenter' shows leading off with NFL news. The NFL just began trainning camp/pre-season thus showing how the USA is almost in love with the NFL as people in Canada are in love with hockey. Other than the free agent signings and trades i hardly ever watch a pre season NFL game ever.

Personally since i was a kid I never started getting into the NFL until week #1begins as almost all of attention is baseball (unless the Yankees are out of the race which in last 15 years has only been once in 2008). Just like in March I don't care for Spring Training either as I am focused on NBA(if they ever play again lol) NHL and NCAA Hoops Tournment.

However the ESPN issue of such much coverage to the NFL is another story & another topic.

Baseball is a beautiful game IMO but it's style is not for all younger sports fans here in early years of the 21st Century. If MLB had a 'real boss' instead of Nutty Professor aka Bud Selig to market the sport with it's ratings, it would help to get tv ratings.

Thus that why the other '3' major leagues in North America, has a more 'cool' factor for younger fans. For instance I am surprised Giants Closer Brian Wilson has not had more exposure/tv commericals. The "beard man' Wilson is a trip IMO.

FYI. Related but off topic. Has anyone seen the Showtime mini 'reality' series on the SF Giants called the "Franchise?" If not it's a good show worth seeing. Its basically a MLB version of "Hard Knocks" NFL Reality shows on HBO.:eek:

I am sure the phone lines on WFAN and ESPNNewyork will be jammed with some callers stating "Mo" is done as a Yankees closer.:eek:

It is why I do not listen to sports radio. Stupid fans often call, ask stupid questions just to feed the ego of the host. ex: Mike Francessa

I get what you're sayin, but I don't think pride has anything to do w/ it... he just doesn't know what he's doin out there... Girardi isn't that great of a game manager....

far as last night's situation, you don't walk abreu in that spot....

that HR was all on Mo', threw it right down broadway & he simply got beat....

It is why I do not listen to sports radio. Stupid fans often call, ask stupid questions just to feed the ego of the host. ex: Mike Francessa

I don't listen to sports radio either.... hell, I don't remember the last time I listened to the radio, period..... anyway, sure as hell don't rely on it for the latest in sports... lol...

ego indeed, bro....

doesn't matter who calls, Francesa is all about himself...

Archived