The 2011 Major & Minor League, College Baseball & Baseball Card Thread

EE Broadway Local

AL MVP Discussion time:

I think the only two candidates should be Adrian Gonzalez and Curtis Granderson. Ellsbury is good with the speed and power combination, but Granderson is better then Ellsbury. Bautista is good, but the award is Most Valuable Player. I think you have to contribute a lot to your team for the MVP, and Bautista didn't bring the Jays to the division title or wild card or anything like that. He just hits a bunch of homers, but that doesn't have a team that isn't really that good...

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally, CC beat the Sox for the first time all season. I knew he can do it even if he tough it out tonight. As for sore losers like John Lackey for beaning Cervelli, how about not allowing a home run to the weakest hitter in the lineup? But whatever Yankees still win. Hoping for the best with Phil Hughes and (gulp) A.J. Burnett.

Anyone see the near brawl when Francisco Cervelli was hit? I am watching "Yankees rewind' as we speak (missed most of game as i had to attend an orientation tonight at my new grad school)and ESPN which has been going NFL/College Football crazy last couple of weeks focused on it with their 11pm Tuesday Night sportscenter.:eek:

Anyone see the near brawl when Francisco Cervelli was hit? I am watching "Yankees rewind' as we speak (missed most of game as i had to attend an orientation tonight at my new grad school)and ESPN which has been going NFL/College Football crazy last couple of weeks focused on it with their 11pm Tuesday Night sportscenter.:eek:

Yeah I saw it, Lackey hit Cervelli because Cervelli homered and once he got home he clapped in front of Saltalamacchia. I think it was extremely stupid of Lackey of hitting Cervelli with his team down by 2 runs but whatever, he's a big douche just like Beckett. When Salty held back Cervelli, both of them started to argue. What I find it funny was that Salty kept his mask on, reminded me of Jason Varitek and A-Rod brawl back in 2004. I guess that's how they do it in Boston, keep your mask on LOL. Even Yadier took his hockey type mask off when he had that fight with Brandon Phillips and the Reds last year. Can't say I'm surprised with ESPN and their obsession of football/college football. I don't bother checking the channel anymore now that I have MLB Network. Yeah their analysis may be dumb and what not (I'm looking at you Harold Reynolds) but ESPN is also just as bad with that Phillie homer John Kruk.:cry:

Yeah I saw it, Lackey hit Cervelli because Cervelli homered and once he got home he clapped in front of Saltalamacchia. I think it was extremely stupid of Lackey of hitting Cervelli with his team down by 2 runs but whatever, he's a big douche just like Beckett. When Salty held back Cervelli, both of them started to argue. What I find it funny was that Salty kept his mask on, reminded me of Jason Varitek and A-Rod brawl back in 2004. I guess that's how they do it in Boston, keep your mask on LOL. Even Yadier took his hockey type mask off when he had that fight with Brandon Phillips and the Reds last year. Can't say I'm surprised with ESPN and their obsession of football/college football. I don't bother checking the channel anymore now that I have MLB Network. Yeah their analysis may be dumb and what not (I'm looking at you Harold Reynolds) but ESPN is also just as bad with that Phillie homer John Kruk.:cry:

I fell asleep as soon as I came home, so I didn't see the game, or the ESPN coverage.... will watch those 2 bums Mike & Mike in a couple mins.... But that whole keepin on the mask thing is nothin new for the Red Sox.... The Yankees (or should I say Yankee fans) aren't the only team that has mentioned that... about how Varitek, Mirabelli (when he was there) would talk shit to the batters, and then keeping their masks on when confronted.... straight b****assness.....

So slackey hit cervelli (of all ppl) b/c he homered off him.... The MLB gotta start heavily fining pitchers that do that corny shit..... you can end careers like that....

Beckett I can't stand.... whenever he gets touched up, he starts throwing at batters, faking injuries, then gets pissy in the dugout when he gets taken out/thrown out the game... A big baby....

ESPN coverage.... You wanna know the sad part about that... John Kruk is the fairest/sensible guy out of all of the baseball analysts.... which isn't sayin much.....

I don't appreciate Cervelli's pitch calling in the Ellsbury at bat in the 6th. 3-1 Ellsbury is obviously looking fastball. Anything else he probably takes. I don't get why Cervelli didn't call from a slider to drop in for a strike, because there was no way Ellsbury wouldn't swing at a breaking ball unless he was retarded....

And the Yankees better not go shitting their way saying they are good enough for 2012 in the offseason. There is no way I'm watching the Sox run wild in the offseason like the Yanks did in 09. If the Yankees lose out again in the offseason I'm going to start calling the Steinbrenners retarded...

The Yankees didn't need a Crawford or Gonzalez. What they really needed was a top of the rotation starter.

On paper Soriano made sense as they needed pen help. Thankfully Robertson has stepped it up and been a very serviceable 8th inning guy. What sucks is Joba and the other relievers are injured/not fully healed. Overall I still think that Colon and garcia have been excellent this year concidering they weren't given much hope.

The hitting is still inconsistant where you can get shutout in a close game or have a blowout when the runs weren't really needed. If some of those games were 'evened out' then the Yankees could've won a few more games than what they have now.

The Yankees didn't need a Crawford or Gonzalez. What they really needed was a top of the rotation starter.

On paper Soriano made sense as they needed pen help. Thankfully Robertson has stepped it up and been a very serviceable 8th inning guy. What sucks is Joba and the other relievers are injured/not fully healed. Overall I still think that Colon and garcia have been excellent this year concidering they weren't given much hope.

The hitting is still inconsistant where you can get shutout in a close game or have a blowout when the runs weren't really needed. If some of those games were 'evened out' then the Yankees could've won a few more games than what they have now.

I remember the yanks trying hard during the off season to acquire cliff lee but we all know where that went:tdown: yes I agree about robertson,colon and garcia doing an excellent job. joba is not coming back anytime soon due to the tommy john surgery and his stomach surgery as well. joba was one hell of a pitcher when he was healthy. one of the yankees problems this season is that they leave to many men on base. so much scoring opportunities went to waste.

I remember the yanks trying hard during the off season to acquire cliff lee but we all know where that went:tdown: yes I agree about robertson,colon and garcia doing an excellent job. joba is not coming back anytime soon due to the tommy john surgery and his stomach surgery as well. joba was one hell of a pitcher when he was healthy. one of the yankees problems this season is that they leave to many men on base. so much scoring opportunities went to waste.

Well to be honest, that is expected when you have a team that's top 5 on OBP. On Tuesday the Red Sox left a lot of runners on base. You can't drive in all the baserunners all the time, the game does not work that way. The main reason a game between the Red Sox and Yankees take very long is because of their disciplined hitters. Those two lineups have a lot of patient batters. Hopefully the Yanks win tomorrow though it won't be easy with Lester pitching for the Sox and Burnett for NYY.

I heard they want to move Jason Bay to CF next season,

Murphy in left and Duda in right, haha.

He has more K's then hits, he is highest paid 234 hitter in the league.

I so much wanted Beltran to go to the Yankees so I can see/hear him

get booed more often then where he is now in San Francisco....even the

laid back fans in SF have had enough of him already,LOL

I heard they want to move Jason Bay to CF next season,

Murphy in left and Duda in right, haha.

He has more K's then hits, he is highest paid 234 hitter in the league.

I so much wanted Beltran to go to the Yankees so I can see/hear him

get booed more often then where he is now in San Francisco....even the

laid back fans in SF have had enough of him already,LOL

If the Mets keep being stubborn and not moving the fence in, they will not be contenders.

For ex. Matt Kemp might be on the trading block in the offseason since the Dodgers need to dump payroll. Kemp is a good hitter, but Citi Field's large outfield would make his defensive woes look even worse. In Yankee Stadium, Kemp would be a great hitter, and the small area in RF would make defense in that area a lot easier for him

I totally agree. Montero maybe the answer over getting Molina back for AJ. However, Montero hasn't done well with runners on base though. Then again can't be blamed since this is his first major league start and at Fenway of all places.

=

As for the 'killer B's', well I don't think they need much more arms as strange as it sounds. If everyone in the pen does well, the Yankees don't need to call up anyone. The real issue is to see if Hughes or Burnett can step it up for that fifth spot. If Burnett pitches again like he did tonight, Hughes will likely be the long man from the pen/spot starter.

The Matt Kemp idea doesn't fly. The Yankees outfield is pretty much set. The only way I can see them adding another OF is if Swisher can play 3rd base. Texiera is paid the big bucks to be the 'everyday' guy.

Burnett pitched halfway decently for once.

Yeah. About time.

Why didnt the Yankees call up any of the Killer B's? They would provide some much needed pitching help

Not exactly. The only killer B who might make the team is Andrew Brackman, he's been pitching out of the pen in AAA and throwing well through 25 IP so far. As for Manny and Dellin, those guys aren't being called up but they might be with the team (just to be with the parent club to experience the big league atmosphere) to work out I suppose. Betances and Jesus Montero were with the team last September but not "called up" to play in a game. Next year Bañuelos and Betances might start in AAA to keep building up innings.

To me it matters. This is just their 4th win against Boston this season. At this point it'll be 'respectable' if they can win that series at home and get at least 6 wins for the year.

Not sure you remember Concourse but i say this. In 1988, the Mets won the NL East winning i think 100 games. Those days there was no wild card and they won 11 of 12 games in their season series vs Dodgers. That Dodgers team featuring Kirk Gibson(that same guy with that histroic walk off in the '88 Fall Classic)Orel Herisher and bunch of journeymen having 'career' seasons and winning only around 92-93 games to win that season's NL West.

Then when the playoffs came around, what still remains one of the bigger upset in LCS history occured when the Dodgers beat the Mets and then shock the A's of McGuire/Canceso/Rickey Henderson to win the 1988 championship.

So that why i am not concerned about the regular season series.

:Pff: whatever...

Hey we can agree to disagree. Look what i am saying as a Yankee fan myself, my point is this. Sure you don't want to lose almost all of the regular season series games vs. the Red Sox. However as with my example of the Dodgers-Mets playoff series in '88 and in the past decade the high number of wild cards winning the WS, i am just saying most important is everyone on the team is healthy come the post season. Not to mention the starting staff being ready as well.

Archived