The 2011 Major & Minor League, College Baseball & Baseball Card Thread

EE Broadway Local

- They'll find a way to screw CC out another Cy young... but then again, his last 2 starts before tonight's game might have sealed his fate in that regard, if verlander continues at the pace he's goin.....

- far as rookie of the year, I can't think of anyone other than Nova.... maybe that kid Starlin Castro that's on the Cubs (think his name is)....

- that HR of Morneau's that was called back, I still have yet to see anyone else's vantage points/camera angles... I'll tune into MLB network sometime before I go to bed tonight.....

- as a franchise, the twins & the tigers are the most backwards assed teams in baseball right now.... I still can't get over them (tigers) gettin rid of granderson.... Verlander is more important to the Tigers this year, than Cliff Lee was to the Rangers during their push last year.... as for the twins, to build that big ass stadium when there's no burners (speed guys) that's prone to hitting doubles & triples.... Citifield made no sense the way the mets are built either, but at least they have a speedy guy like Reyes that's good for a bunch of xbh's.... Twins are filled with a bunch of power hitters & singles hitters....

- as for Boston... Epstein said it himself before the season began; he built the team this season to beat the Yankees..... I'm not surprised when they get beat in series' by teams like the mariners, rays, angels, orioles (who seem to have their number, in years past).....

generally, you beat the yankees by tryin to play them close on the scoreboard, whether you're ahead or down by like a run or two (Mo's biggest weakness is pitching in tie games, or otherwise non save situations)... you beat the red sox by outhitting them &/or running the bases like mad (whether via the SB, or stretching singles into doubles, or doubles into triples wherever possible)....

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can't blame the dimensions for Target Field's lack of home runs. Left center and right center are closer to the plate than at Yankee Stadium. Granted, there is a high wall in right at Target, but even so, as that blog post points out, the dimensions are strikingly similar to the Metrodome. Supposedly it's the wind.

Citi, though, is just ridiculous. Ok, fine, the dimensions down the line have to be at least 325, and center 400. But those "quirks" they throw in to make the park seem more "retro" like the very high wall in left or that recess in right field are just stupid. At the very least, it's not 480 to center.

What happened to the art of a tape measure home run? A real power hitter should be able to hit it out of any park. I have no problem with Citi Field's dimensions. Jason Bay is an overrated hitter who was protected by a strong lineup in Boston and therefore got pitches to hit. A home run hitter in Fenway Park doesn't have to be a power guy.

You can't blame the dimensions for Target Field's lack of home runs. Left center and right center are closer to the plate than at Yankee Stadium. Granted, there is a high wall in right at Target, but even so, as that blog post points out, the dimensions are strikingly similar to the Metrodome. Supposedly it's the wind.

Citi, though, is just ridiculous. Ok, fine, the dimensions down the line have to be at least 325, and center 400. But those "quirks" they throw in to make the park seem more "retro" like the very high wall in left or that recess in right field are just stupid. At the very least, it's not 480 to center.

yeah, but yankuh stadium is 314 to right, 318 to left.... most HR's are hit b/w the diagonals & the corners.... asking your righties (especially the ones the twins currently got; their best righty is cuddyer) to blast one 340 feet to left is a bit much.... and that wall in right aint helpin all that much for their lefties (Mauer, Morneau, Thome) either.....

speakin of motha nature..... when they first opened up the new yankee stadium, supposedly it was the wind that was a huge factor as to why balls were flying over the RF wall like mad....

In my opinion, Kirk Gibson is the Manager of the Year. He took a team who expected to finish dead last and turned them into a first place team on the verge of making the playoffs.

Agreed.

I guess Beltran isn't helping them. Good Luck defending that title Giants!:P

right now, Beltran's on the DL; some type of hand injury.....

yeah, but yankuh stadium is 314 to right, 318 to left.... most HR's are hit b/w the diagonals & the corners.... asking your righties (especially the ones the twins currently got; their best righty is cuddyer) to blast one 340 feet to left is a bit much.... and that wall in right aint helpin all that much for their lefties (Mauer, Morneau, Thome) either.....

speakin of motha nature..... when they first opened up the new yankee stadium, supposedly it was the wind that was a huge factor as to why balls were flying over the RF wall like mad....

Other teams can do it. Most other ballparks are between 330 and 340 out to left. Then again, those teams aren't the Twins. Or the Mets.

Point still stands, though, that since the dimensions are similar to what they had at the Metrodome you can't really call the field big. It's still not Citi Field. Gotta look into other reasons.

Of course the Yankees then walk in and make the park seem small.

Other teams can do it. Most other ballparks are between 330 and 340 out to left. Then again, those teams aren't the Twins. Or the Mets.

Point still stands, though, that since the dimensions are similar to what they had at the Metrodome you can't really call the field big. It's still not Citi Field. Gotta look into other reasons.

Comparing the metrodome to target field, and then using that to tell me target field isn't big, isn't saying much of anything..... the metrodome wasn't exactly considered a small ballpark back then either.... You're makin it sound like target is your average ballpark in terms of dimensions; it's not....

Other teams can do it b/c they're built differently.... lol...

The twins & the mets are not built for the ballparks they play in (personnel-wise)... that's where you blame ownership & management.....

As far as lookin into other factors, I never said dimensions are the only factor..... I'm sayin it's the main factor...

havin the mets, giants (which is another big ballpark), and twins all in the bottom 3rd of the league in HR totals, justifies that...

BTW, the Giants are fading fast. They cannot score runs to save their life.

In my opinion, the big offensive teams like the Yankees and Red Sox can beat the Giants even though the Giants have dominant pitching. They are just lucky they didn't face either the Sox or the Yanks during Interleague play. The Giants have been relying on pitching for too long. Any good offensive team should be able to outslug them one day. Pitching isn't going to keep them a float for very long.

Comparing the metrodome to target field, and then using that to tell me target field isn't big, isn't saying much of anything..... the metrodome wasn't exactly considered a small ballpark back then either.... You're makin it sound like target is your average ballpark in terms of dimensions; it's not....

Give me the dimensions, then, of what you would consider an average ballpark, because the Metrodome was definitely more homer happy than Target Field.

The twins & the mets are not built for the ballparks they play in (personnel-wise)... that's where you blame ownership & management.....

I think we can agree on this. This is what I see as the main problem, not the ballparks themselves.

In my opinion, the big offensive teams like the Yankees and Red Sox can beat the Giants even though the Giants have dominant pitching. They are just lucky they didn't face either the Sox or the Yanks during Interleague play. The Giants have been relying on pitching for too long. Any good offensive team should be able to outslug them one day. Pitching isn't going to keep them a float for very long.

Being fair bro(Yanksmets)offense is very important in the regular season along with at least a descent pitching staff. It's during the post season that pitching wins your team championships. In particuarly in last 30 years or so, from Sutter, "Eck' to Rivera, bullpen 'closers' is a must have key part of that picthing staff as well.

- They'll find a way to screw CC out another Cy young... but then again, his last 2 starts before tonight's game might have sealed his fate in that regard, if verlander continues at the pace he's goin.....

- far as rookie of the year, I can't think of anyone other than Nova.... maybe that kid Starlin Castro that's on the Cubs (think his name is)....

- that HR of Morneau's that was called back, I still have yet to see anyone else's vantage points/camera angles... I'll tune into MLB network sometime before I go to bed tonight.....

- as a franchise, the twins & the tigers are the most backwards assed teams in baseball right now.... I still can't get over them (tigers) gettin rid of granderson.... Verlander is more important to the Tigers this year, than Cliff Lee was to the Rangers during their push last year.... as for the twins, to build that big ass stadium when there's no burners (speed guys) that's prone to hitting doubles & triples.... Citifield made no sense the way the mets are built either, but at least they have a speedy guy like Reyes that's good for a bunch of xbh's.... Twins are filled with a bunch of power hitters & singles hitters....

- as for Boston... Epstein said it himself before the season began; he built the team this season to beat the Yankees..... I'm not surprised when they get beat in series' by teams like the mariners, rays, angels, orioles (who seem to have their number, in years past).....

generally, you beat the yankees by tryin to play them close on the scoreboard, whether you're ahead or down by like a run or two (Mo's biggest weakness is pitching in tie games, or otherwise non save situations)... you beat the red sox by outhitting them &/or running the bases like mad (whether via the SB, or stretching singles into doubles, or doubles into triples wherever possible)....

For Rookie of the Year, Starlin Castro is ineligible since this is his second full season with the Cubs. I would have to go with Freddie Freeman (1st baseman from Atlanta) since he's hitting about .293 with 60 RBI and 16 HR.

In the American League, it could be Mark Trumbo from the Angels (who replaced the injured Kendrys Morales at 1st base) or rookie pitching sensation Michael Pineda from Seattle.

The Cubs just B7ed Jim Hendry. About time they got rid of that idiot. Maybe this is the first step in ending this 103 Year Streak of no World Series Titles.

Being fair, if Moses Alou makes that catch in the Steve Bartman game of the 2003 NLCS, the Cubs make the world series that year and maybe even beats the Yanks. So early on, Hendry did a good job. It in recent years by overpaying and giving those ridculus contract extensions, that Hendry set the club backwards.

With new ownership the Ricketts family just taking over a couple of years ago, this is their first critical hire that could make or break the Cubs for next 5-10 years.

Give me the dimensions, then, of what you would consider an average ballpark, because the Metrodome was definitely more homer happy than Target Field.

You keep using the old Metrodome as a metric, but to answer your little question.....

330 to each of the corners

375 to each of the diagonals

402 to straight away centerfield

anything bigger than that IMO, is considered to be a big ballpark...

408 to center is not average

339 to left is not average

377 to left center is a little above average

367 to right center is small, hence the 20 something foot wall out in right center to make it a lot more difficult

328 to right is small... the wall out there makes it a little more difficult (not as easy) to hit HR's....

- It's a big ballpark... it being smaller than the old Metrodome doesn't dismiss that....

- Citi-field is ridiculous in its own right; Target field doesn't have to have citi field like dimensions to be considered big....

Justin Morneau's (a HR hitter in his own right) take on his home field....

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5796135

You can keep downplaying field dimensions if you like....

Left Field - 339 feet (103 m)

Left-Center - 377 feet (115 m)

Center Field left corner - 411 feet (125 m)

Center Field right corner - 403 feet (123 m)

Right-Center - 365 feet (111 m)

Right Field - 328 feet (100 m)

If you don't consider that a big ballpark, I don't know what is. Also, those insanely high walls probably require a ball hit an even LONGER distance then what is mention on Wikipedia. Right field is like a failed version of the Green Monster. It's too far and high to hit a HR over, but it's low enough that a lot of balls near the wall can still be caught by the right fielder.

In my opinion, Kirk Gibson is the Manager of the Year. He took a team who expected to finish dead last and turned them into a first place team on the verge of making the playoffs.

Yup. For a while it looked Clint Hurdle was a lock for NL manager of the year. However since the Pirates at best will finish in 2nd place probably in NL Central, Gibson has to get it.

In AL, not that many choices. Probably will go to either Manny Acta since the Indians have been in contention in AL Central all season. Another possible choice though less likely is Jim Leyland despite fact the Tigers are a slight surprise. (most where picking the Twins in pre season here)

If you don't consider that a big ballpark, I don't know what is. Also, those insanely high walls probably require a ball hit an even LONGER distance then what is mention on Wikipedia. Right field is like a failed version of the Green Monster. It's too far and high to hit a HR over, but it's low enough that a lot of balls near the wall can still be caught by the right fielder.

So it's below average, but still too far to hit a home run over. And if the ball can be caught by the right fielder, it doesn't matter how high the wall is. You want big? How about pre-renovation Yankee Stadium. 400 feet or better from straightaway left all the way to right center, and over 450 from left center to center. Polo Grounds III. 480 to dead center. Shibe Park in 1950.

I'm still of the opinion that Target only plays bigger than it really is. Teams like the Yankees march in and make the place seem like a bandbox. The problem is that it wasn't designed for the players they have. All the same, I don't want to be seeing power alley dimensions at 350 because people want more home runs.

Just for clarification, my standards for a big park:

Anything over:

340 down the lines

380 to the power alleys

405 to dead center

Wall height between 8 and 10 feet

Maybe I just have high standards. Yankee Stadium was the only stadium I knew about for a long while.

NL MOY - Kirk Gibson

AL MOY - Manny Acta

AL CY - Justin Verlander

NL CY - Roy Halladay

AL MVP - sadly Dustin Pedroia

NL MVP - Justin Upton over Matt Kemp

AL ROY - Michael Pineda over Mark Trumbo

NL ROY - Craig Kimbrel

ALE - Yankees

ALC - Indians

ALW - Rangers

NLE - Phillies

NLC - Brewers

NLW - Diamondbacks

ALWC - Red Sox

NLWC - Braves

I'm predicting this as of August 20, 2011. My predictions could come off wrong obviously because one cannot predict baseball.

@7linefan: To me those dimensions do not mean much when the Yankees are in town. I remember one time David Wright mentioned that no right handed hitter could hit an opposite home run at Citi Field until Alex Rodriguez did it in 2009. I think it was on that same game Brett Gardner had 5 hits.

^^ no one's askin for 350 to the diagonals... that's just stupid....

Well that's what it seems like. Everyone's complaining that there are fewer home runs from these guys. How do they want to increase that number? Move the walls in. Some parks need to, some parks really don't.

@alejr88 -- The Yankees can make any park seem small.

Archived