The 2011 Major & Minor League, College Baseball & Baseball Card Thread

EE Broadway Local

This MLB update presented by Wendy's. Well the newest member of the 600 home run club is now here. Jim Thome joins that club and becomes the 8th player to do so. Thome just hit it vs. the Tigers in Motown.

Since he never been caught or suspected of being on steriods, Thome just punched himself a ticket to Cooperstown IMO.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Yankees win 7-4 against the Kansas City Royals to tie the Red Sox for first place in the AL East. If these two teams end the season in a tie, should a tiebreaker game be played for the division title being that the loser will still make the playoffs? I say Boston should win the division based on the season series if it ends up in a tie.

The Houston Astros have been absolutely pathetic this season. This team is on track to lose 110 games. Serious changes need to be made in the front office and on the diamond to bring this team back to prominence again.

The Yankees win 7-4 against the Kansas City Royals to tie the Red Sox for first place in the AL East. If these two teams end the season in a tie, should a tiebreaker game be played for the division title being that the loser will still make the playoffs? I say Boston should win the division based on the season series if it ends up in a tie.

That's exactly what would happen. Season series is the first tiebreaker -- no need for a one game playoff.

Of course we are assuming the Yankees make the wild card, which by now seems all but a certainty.

Congratulations to Jason Isringhausen for his 300th save! Jason started his career in 1995 as a young, immature kid with a lot of promise. Although his starting career may have been derailed, his career took off as a reliever. He earned his career first save as a Met against the Montreal Expos, and now has his 300th save against the San Diego Padres. Congrats, Jason!

The Yankees win 7-4 against the Kansas City Royals to tie the Red Sox for first place in the AL East. .

Another one of those typical Burnett starts. Four or five innings of CC Sabathia type performance then he melts down and coughs up the Yankees' lead. However, at least Giradi removed him in the sixth before he could completely implode.

No matter what Alej, Yu Darvish is going to be a rich man(barring injury of course)as several MLB clubs will probably due a bidding war for him.

True. Regardless of how hyped he is, teams are willing to spend top dollar to sign him. A team I like a lot, (The Nationals) would be one of those crazy teams to sign him.

Another one of those typical Burnett starts. Four or five innings of CC Sabathia type performance then he melts down and coughs up the Yankees' lead. However, at least Giradi removed him in the sixth before he could completely implode.

If Burnett did not have a good 2009 season, this IMO would passed Eddie Lee Whitson as maybe the worst free agent signing of a pitcher in Yankees history.

I am so happy for Jim Thome! I am so glad he got #600. He is the 8th man to do it and the fourth lefty (no, not the political lefty) to do it.

So a question for B35, R68, and our MLB regulars? Does Thome belong in HOF? His 'main' carrer stats as of August 16, 2011.

Lifetime Batting Avg. .277

RBI 1,662

HR's 600

Hits 2263

doubles 440

AB 8167

OPS .961

Walks 1,710

strikeouts 2,453

slugging % .558

IMO he a 1st ballot HOF. Just amazing of that '90's Indians team that made to '2' world series offensive machine, (not counting "DH" Eddie Murray who was at end of his HOF run) only Thome will get in. A huge question mark for Manny and almost no chance for Albert Belle.:eek:

Why is everyone asking if Thome belongs in the Hall Of Fame? He belongs there even before he hit his 600th career home run. Not a knock on SB, just stating that he does belong there. The 600 homeruns seals it.

Why is everyone asking if Thome belongs in the Hall Of Fame? He belongs there even before he hit his 600th career home run. Not a knock on SB, just stating that he does belong there. The 600 homeruns seals it.

I agree with your statement Alerjr88. However it's was the lead national sports story today, even taking the NFL pre season coverage off the front pages on ESPN this morning/afternoon. Thome got more attention in last 24 hours than probably in his entire carrer.

Not to mention on WFAN Francesa that was a popular topic with callers in addition to the usual calls about the Yanks, Mets, Jets and Giants.

Yet a few callers still don't think Thome is a HOF stating 'he only been on a few all star teams' or he was never a MVP, etc.

Thus why i asked this question?:eek:

Any man who can hit 600 HRs without taking a single PED is a HOFer in my opinion.

Ok lol. Good point.:cool:

Of that PED '600' club, I do think ARod will get in(not saying i endorse him)since he came clean. If Bonds had come clean during his carrer or even now maybe he does get in. Sosa on other hand will never get in IMO since he never would have come close to '600'(he was a good player but not 600 HR type player without the 'juice')IMO. Even if "Slammin' Sammy now came clean and admitted it, he only going to Cooperstown as a guest visitor and never as a player.

That why Pete Rose is not getting in, anytime soon since since he was a harda@@ and took almost 20 years after the gambling scandal broke in 1989, to admit he betted on games as Reds Skipper.

If Rose had just said he was sorry at start of scandal, he would been in the HOF years ago.

I agree w/ the general statement of, the 600HR stat alone wouldn't have made him a hall of famer.... oh he's gonna get in....

....but I have to say, had it not been for the steroid era, I don't think Thome would be a first ballot HOFer.... but since he hasn't been suspected of anything, he'll make it the first chance he gets.....

In other words, guys like A-rod, Bonds, Palmeiro, Sosa, McGwire, etc made it easier for Thome to make the HOF.......

lmao @ Shortline... I'm gonna start using that....

The "PED club"

I agree w/ the general statement of, the 600HR stat alone wouldn't have made him a hall of famer.... oh he's gonna get in....

....but I have to say, had it not been for the steroid era, I don't think Thome would be a first ballot HOFer.... but since he hasn't been suspected of anything, he'll make it the first chance he gets.....

In other words, guys like A-rod, Bonds, Palmeiro, Sosa, McGwire, etc made it easier for Thome to make the HOF.......

lmao @ Shortline... I'm gonna start using that....

The "PED club"

Hey good idea bro:cool:. The "PED club' as what we MLB and sports fans should call the muscle man who looked more like WWE or NFL players than MLB sluggers in the steriods era. Charter members would be A-Rod, McGuire, Canseco, Bonds, Sosa, Palmero and Jason Giambi.

The honorary captian is the 'godfather of PED's' mr. terminator Arnold Schwarzenegger

I think Jim Thome will enter the Hall of Fame, but it will take him a few years to get in since he was not the "big star" of the Indians in the 90s, that spot belonged first to Albert Belle, then to Manny Ramirez. Thome became the Indians' "big star" when they left, and the Indians began to decline.

In addition, his 2005 injury paved the way for Ryan Howard to shine as a baseball player.

I think Jim Thome will enter the Hall of Fame, but it will take him a few years to get in since he was not the "big star" of the Indians in the 90s, that spot belonged first to Albert Belle, then to Manny Ramirez. Thome became the Indians' "big star" when they left, and the Indians began to decline.

that has nothin to do with anything....

If you're gonna use stardom as an argument, then why isn't Belle in the HoF....

that has nothin to do with anything....

If you're gonna use stardom as an argument, then why isn't Belle in the HoF....

It's due to his attitude. It cost him the MVP in both 1995 and 1996. Because of the stardom, or lack thereof, it could take him 2-3 years tops for Thome to get in. He won't be first ballot, like Greg Maddux, John Smoltz, Tom Glavine, or Mike Piazza.

It's due to his attitude. It cost him the MVP in both 1995 and 1996. Because of the stardom, or lack thereof, it could take him 2-3 years tops for Thome to get in. He won't be first ballot, like Greg Maddux, John Smoltz, Tom Glavine, or Mike Piazza.

I don't think Smoltz is a 1st ballot or even a HOF Pitcher myself. Yes Smoltz will get in but IMO Glavine will always the ace before and after Maddux was the Braves #1 starter.

Belle did not play long enough (attitude/being a jerk aside)to warrant serious HOF considertation anyhow.

Belle was the '90's/early 2000's version of another outstanding player, former Phillies/White Sox star of the 1960's/early '70's D ick Allen.

FYI. Allen was the 1964 Rookie of the Year and 1972 AL MVP.

I think A-Rod will make the hall of fame. Just not right away. A-Rod was a hall of fame player before he started with the steroids. Ditto Bonds. The only issue with Barry is that he won't admit it.

As we switch on the Thome for HOF debate, last night the Yankees beat the Royals while the Mets lost in SD.

Shifting gears. I know this thread is suppose to be mainly MLB/pro baseball. However i am sure most of us baseball fans has at looked at the Liitle League World Series Tournment held right around now the last weeks in August every year. Well 10 years ago, in probably so far the biggest scandal in LLWS history, a team from Bronx featuring flame thrower Danny Almonte advancing to the semifinals (aka US title game)before losing made infamous history.

Turns out Almonte was actually 14-years old and did not live in the area where that Bronx team was from. So here the story of that infamous scandal and feel free to comment.

Almonte, Little League feel impact of scandal 10 years later

BY Chris Gardner AP/USA Today wire reports

SOUTH WILLIAMSPORT, Pa. (AP) — The box score that shows Danny Almonte pitched a perfect game at the Little League World Series is tucked in a binder atop a metal filing cabinet.

Otherwise, that game in 2001 never officially happened — at least not after Almonte was proven to be 14, too old to play Little League ball.

A decade later, the repercussions of that big-league-level scandal still resonate through Little League, where birth certificates might now be tracked as closely as balls and strikes.

As for the youngsters at the time, Almonte lives in New York, playing in an adult league and working at a restaurant, his former high school coach there said. And the group of then-pre-teens from central Pennsylvania he helped beat have moved on to get college degrees and start careers.

The 65th annual World Series begins Thursday here at Lamade Stadium, painted dark green with a steep grassy hill above the outfield, a picturesque venue for a tournament in which organizers preach sportsmanship and fair play. But with ESPN cameras capturing every pint-sized player's every move, a standout performance can turn a participant into a Little League celebrity.

So it was with Almonte, who helped carry his team from New York City to the World Series in 2001. The hard-throwing lefty with a 70-mph slider tossed a perfect game and struck out 16 in a 5-0 shutout of Apopka, Fla. He then pitched a one-hit shutout, clocking pitches at 77 mph, before his team was eliminated in a rematch against Florida in the U.S. championship game .

But the drama was only beginning.

Days later, Little League said Almonte was under investigation after officials were shown a document by a Sports Illustrated writer indicating Almonte was born in 1987 in the Dominican Republic, which would have made him 14. His team had a document that showed Almonte was 12, or born two years later, in the same country. At the time, Little League rules prohibited any player born before Aug. 1, 1988, from competing.

The investigation drew international attention, and even President George W. Bush's administration intervened to ask the Dominican government to investigate. Records experts determined the birth certificate saying he was 12 was falsified and Almonte was actually 14. His team's founder, Rolando Paulino, and Almonte's father were banned from Little League for life. Little League disqualified the team and Almonte."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/llws/2011-08-17-llws-age-impact_n.htm

Archived