The 2011 Major & Minor League, College Baseball & Baseball Card Thread

EE Broadway Local

replies in red. I agree with most of your picks but those I have to comment or disagree i reply.

NL MOY - Kirk Gibson

AL MOY - Manny Acta-Agreed. Even if the Indians don't win the ALC, Acta had made them contenders for 2012 and beyond if they stay healthy.

AL CY - Justin Verlander

NL CY - Roy Halladay

AL MVP - sadly Dustin Pedroia-Don't count out Granderson and even Adrian Gonzalez either. If Curtis hits say 40 or more homers and Yanks win ALE, Granderson could still win MVP.

This is what MLB needs a SEPARTE 'player of the year' award IMO. So in this situation either Granderson or Gonzalez is POY and Pedroia is MVP.

Why in world did the Padres even get rid of Gonzalez is so stupid even if he is 'expensive' but that for another discussion.

NL MVP - Justin Upton over Matt Kemp

AL ROY - Michael Pineda over Mark Trumbo

NL ROY - Craig Kimbrel

ALE - Yankees

ALC - Indians-Disagree. The Indians will be in the race till the end of regular season. I still think the Tigers will win it here.

ALW - Rangers-If their starting pitching comes close (I know they don't have Cliff Lee anymore)to what they did in last year's playoffs, I think they can return to the world series.

NLE - Phillies

NLC - Brewers

NLW - Diamondbacks-Don't count out the Giants the defending champions..

ALWC - Red Sox-Them or the Yankees. Angels are too far behind to get the ALWC and or the Rangers.

NLWC - Braves-They should win it but the Giants/D-Backs 2nd place team in NLW could make a last minute push for the last NL playoff spot. Also the Braves and if they make it the Giants, are the only teams in NL at moment IMO with 'legit' shot at upsetting the Phillies in NL playoffs.

I'm predicting this as of August 20, 2011. My predictions could come off wrong obviously because one cannot predict baseball..

replies in red.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My picks for awards and division titles (so far):

AL

Rookie: Mark Trumbo (Angels)

Manager: Manny Acta (Indians)

Cy Young: Justin Verlander (Tigers)

MVP: Adrian Gonzalez (Red Sox)

NL

Rookie: Freddie Freeman (Braves)

Manager: Kirk Gibson (D'Backs)

Cy Young: Roy Halladay (Phillies)

MVP: Prince Fielder (Brewers)

Division Champions

AL East: New York (since Boston has a tough time beating big teams)

AL Central: Detroit

AL West: Texas

AL Wildcard: Boston

NL East: Philadelphia

NL Central: Milwaukee

NL West: Arizona

NL Wildcard: Atlanta

I won't be watching a lot of baseball this September because there are only 2 compelling races. The playoffs are basically set with the exception of the NL West and AL Central. If the Phillies don't get their run scoring act together I see a good hitting team like the Brewers beating them in the playoffs. The bottom line is that those pitchers can't throw shutouts every start and are bound to give something up to hitters like Rickie Weeks, Ryan Braun and Prince Fielder.

My early World Series prediction: Yankees beat Brewers in 6 games.

I won't be watching a lot of baseball this September because there are only 2 compelling races. The playoffs are basically set with the exception of the NL West and AL Central. If the Phillies don't get their run scoring act together I see a good hitting team like the Brewers beating them in the playoffs. The bottom line is that those pitchers can't throw shutouts every start and are bound to give something up to hitters like Rickie Weeks, Ryan Braun and Prince Fielder.

My early World Series prediction: Yankees beat Brewers in 6 games.

As a Yankee fan, if they had '1' more good starter after CC, I would like our chances to at least make the world series and even win title# 28. Right now, I think the Yanks and Rangers are the co-favorites to make the fall classic.

And regarding the Phils. They will probably be the biggest favorite by baseball people and oddsmakers(vegas & elsewhere)to win the WS since the 1998 Yankees. If they don't win the fall classic this year, it will be a huge disappointment for Philly and fans like Patcoman.

like I did last year (I think around this same time too IINM), I'm officially on AJ Burnett strike....

.....meaning, I will no longer watch games where he starts, for the rest of the season (including playoffs, if Girardi is stupid enough to even put him on the roster).... save myself the frustration & the amount of energy it takes to smh whenever I see the guy pitch....

like I did last year (I think around this same time too IINM), I'm officially on AJ Burnett strike....

.....meaning, I will no longer watch games where he starts, for the rest of the season (including playoffs, if Girardi is stupid enough to even put him on the roster).... save myself the frustration & the amount of energy it takes to smh whenever I see the guy pitch....

He just got pulled. 1.2 innings, seven runs (three let in by Ayala), two wild pitches (one which let in a run).

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH THE ******* METS BLOW THE LEAD AND THE GAME TODAY!!!!!! :P :mad:

As always....

I rather have the Mets as NLE leaders instead of those pesky Phillies

Anyways Burnett is pathetic. Why isn't he a long man yet? Giradi can you think about whats more important? The team or AJ Burnett?

How do I know a pitcher sucks:

When a pitcher is on a team that has scored more runs than any other team in baseball (as of this post), but manages to have a sub .500 W-L record and get rocked by a team that is 23rd in runs scored (as of this post), that is when I know a pitcher sucks.

Seriously, the Yankees should not make Burnett start one damn game in the post season.

Watched the Giaradi press conference tonight after game (8/20)and he looked steamed being kind. At 1 point, he almost walked out on questions about AJ.

Giradi was ticked off when a reporter asked him on the disputed 'strike' call on Mauer in 2nd inning.

Personally i think the only reason Burnett is still in starting rotation is fact,

Giradi is under orders from Cashman and upper management with his huge contract. Thus why he still might be a starter in playoffs as well.

Anyways Burnett is pathetic. Why isn't he a long man yet? Giradi can you think about whats more important? The team or AJ Burnett?

I wouldn't trust anyone with that kind of curveball as a relief pitcher. Thank goodness Kansas City also beat the Sucks tonight. Same score too.

On that note, I can't help but almost feel sorry that Tim Wakefield hasn't gotten his 200th win yet. Almost.

Hey the meltdown last nite at Target Field between Giaradi and Burnett was the 'lead news story' not only in this morning (8/21)NY Daily News but also on ESPN's Sportscenter. Not to mention 300-plus reader reaction in the Daily News blowing away the so called 'news' of the wedding of 'Kim K' LMAO.:(

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2011/08/20/2011-08-20_yankees_aj_burnett_visibly_angry_after_joe_girardi_pulls_him_from_94_loss_to_min.html

AJ is sure giving Eddie Lee Whitson a run for his money for perhaps the worst free agent pitching signing in Yankees history.B)

Hey the meltdown last nite at Target Field between Giaradi and Burnett was the 'lead news story' not only in this morning (8/21)NY Daily News but also on ESPN's Sportscenter. Not to mention 300-plus reader reaction in the Daily News blowing away the so called 'news' of the wedding of 'Kim K' LMAO.:P

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2011/08/20/2011-08-20_yankees_aj_burnett_visibly_angry_after_joe_girardi_pulls_him_from_94_loss_to_min.html

AJ is sure giving Eddie Lee Whitson a run for his money for perhaps the worst free agent pitching signing in Yankees history.:o

Hell NO!! Kei Igawa IS the worst free agent acquision I have ever witnessed. Igawa did not even help the team win the world series. As for Burnett, is he on the decline???

Way too many men LOB for the yankees these past few games....

By the way Yanks lost that game last night(8/23) in 10th inning to the A's.

Meanwhile shifting gears for minute. This MLB commentary is presented by Geico LOL.

Does anyone notice how the Brewers now have a commanding lead in NL Central? Just 2-3 weeks ago it was assumed the Cards, Reds and maybe the 'surprise' Pirates could have challenge them.

Now it could be over in that division by as early as sept. 15. The Phillies who have MLB best record and will probably be the #1 seed in entire post season only have a 4-5 game lead over the Braves in NL. IMO i think the Braves have at least a descent chance to 'upset' the Phils in NLCS.

Brewers starters really need to step up if they want to beat Philly and or Atlanta to make the world series. The "Brew Crew' is basically an American League team(hey they used to be in the AL before realignment lol) and seeking history as 1st team ever to make the WS as both an AL and NL club.

The way the Yankees owned the Brewers in the season series, I think if the Brew Crew gets to the WS and so do the Yankees the Yankees easily beat them. However, they would need to pull off a major upset of the Giants and Phillies (which personally, I hope they do)

Are you not concerned about the Yanks starters? (Yankeespwnmets)

CC can only pitch at most '2x' in the 1st round 5-game series. And 3x in a LCS/World Series. Other than that, they are the best team on paper in AL. You usually need at least '2' good starters in playoffs to advance to the WS. I still say Texas even more than the Red Sox is probably the biggest threat to Yanks in post season.

lmao @ that throw by posada.... at least he got some playing time (defensively) in there....

just thought of somethin.... granderson's last 2 homeruns was an inside the parker, and a grand slam.... has that ever been done before?

....and only the yankees can score 22 runs on only 21 hits.... lol.... most teams would need at least 30 hits to pull that feat....

Archived