The 2011 Major & Minor League, College Baseball & Baseball Card Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BREAKING BASEBALL NEWS: Jim Thome, who recently just hit his 600th HR, is traded to the Cleveland Indians, his original team.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AkPd65FtGKPZ3ZDnJ2CkYoY5nYcB?slug=ti-brown_jim_thome_traded_indians_082511

Not doubt Thome probably requested this 'trade' to Phils for his last chance at getting a WS ring as a player. A championship would pretty much be icing on cake and almost gurantee a 1st ballot HOF selection for Thome.

Off topic for moment. Because of the impending storm, the Yanks playing in Baltimore have scheduled a doubleheader on Sat. and cancelled Sunday's game.

Ditto for the Mets as well at Citifield.

yankees offense picked Hughes' ass up.... he's the last person I'm thinkin of anyway, since my faith in him is almost zero....

as for Thome, that makes sense... he didn't fit in w/ the Twins' offense.....

Despite that, this may have something to do w/ him retiring as an Indian.....

Not doubt Thome probably requested this 'trade' to Phils for his last chance at getting a WS ring as a player. A championship would pretty much be icing on cake and almost gurantee a 1st ballot HOF selection for Thome.

Off topic for moment. Because of the impending storm, the Yanks playing in Baltimore have scheduled a doubleheader on Sat. and cancelled Sunday's game.

That doubleheader has been scheduled because of a rainout earlier this season. The Yankees tried to cancel I think it was Sunday's or Monday's game but the Orioles and MLB refused.

as for Thome, that makes sense... he didn't fit in w/ the Twins' offense.....

Despite that, this may have something to do w/ him retiring as an Indian.....

He might retire, Yankees should have signed him if they wanted a DH earlier this year. Too bad that a classy guy like him doesn't have a ring. He could of won one with the ChiSox or the Phils.

I don't get why the Orioles won't just be the home team at Yankee Stadium while the Yankees are the away team. It would buy some time for playing and what the hell do the Orioles have to lose? They aren't going to accomplish shit the season so they should just suck it up and quit being so stubborn.

Perhaps maybe move to a neutral park like Wrigley, Progressive or Miller Park for all the games instead. Those locations would be far far away from the storm and just keep Baltimore as the home team

That doubleheader has been scheduled because of a rainout earlier this season. The Yankees tried to cancel I think it was Sunday's or Monday's game but the Orioles and MLB refused.

The Yankees wanted to play a doubleheader today but the Orioles refused.

@Yankeespwnmets -- even if they would have moved to Yankee Stadium it wouldn't have made a difference. Irene will hit both areas around the same time.

If it's any consolation for Yankees fans tonight, the A's thumped the Red Sox just a day after being knocked around by the Yankees.

baseball sure is a funny game.... After the Yanks put up 22 on thursday, I made a decision to not even bother watching the game after... good chance yankees were gonna lose (yeah, I notice trends like that)... I didn't even know AJ was scheduled to pitch before I came to that conclusion.... guess it's a win-win for me since I'm no longer watchin his starts for the rest of the year anyway....

the A's puttin up runs against the Red Sox though, I definitely did not see coming.... where the hell did that come from....

funny how it seems like (esp. as of late) when the yanks lose, the red sox also lose....

Burnett should just be released or benched for the rest of the season.

Why does Cashman and Giradi keep defending AJ? Does AJ have something he would use against the Yankees if they dumped him?

I'm thinkin the same thing... he and/or his agent has some type of leverage against the Yanks....

Burnett should just be released or benched for the rest of the season.

Why does Cashman and Giradi keep defending AJ? Does AJ have something he would use against the Yankees if they dumped him?

Man sometimes I wonder why haven't they sent him to the pen? Is the front office blind?? Burnett looks really lost out there and it makes me feel bad for him. I don't think he's trying to suck, this is who he is. But what ticks me off is the fact that he looks like he's lost confidence pitching and they send him out there. Either the Yanks can put him in the pen, place him on the DL (dude could be physically hurt but to give him a mental break), or just cut him. I would not cut him though, too much money on his contract and preferably I would like to see him come out of the pen to see how he performs for an inning or two. He's lost velocity and his curve is not what it once was. As terrible he and John Lackey are (both pitchers have the same contract and throw the same pitches) maybe Lackey is right. He maybe better than Burnett like he says before he got that contract, but not by much. They both suck.

Man sometimes I wonder why haven't they sent him to the pen? Is the front office blind?? Burnett looks really lost out there and it makes me feel bad for him. I don't think he's trying to suck, this is who he is. But what ticks me off is the fact that he looks like he's lost confidence pitching and they send him out there. Either the Yanks can put him in the pen, place him on the DL (dude could be physically hurt but to give him a mental break), or just cut him. I would not cut him though, too much money on his contract and preferably I would like to see him come out of the pen to see how he performs for an inning or two. He's lost velocity and his curve is not what it once was. As terrible he and John Lackey are (both pitchers have the same contract and throw the same pitches) maybe Lackey is right. He maybe better than Burnett like he says before he got that contract, but not by much. They both suck.

No, do NOT send him to the pen. That curveball is not suited for the pen AT ALL. He throws several wild pitches every game now, and if there's a runner on third... can't give away runs like that.

No, do NOT send him to the pen. That curveball is not suited for the pen AT ALL. He throws several wild pitches every game now, and if there's a runner on third... can't give away runs like that.

I understand what you mean but just let him pitch in mop up duty, not in close games. With the way he's pitching he should not be in the rotation even if he has the potential to shut down any lineup.

I understand what you mean but just let him pitch in mop up duty, not in close games. With the way he's pitching he should not be in the rotation even if he has the potential to shut down any lineup.

With the way he's pitching even "mop-up" duty could turn into a loss.

I'm even more pissed that they did nothin for Colon out there earlier..... he didn't pitch a bad game at all.... They might lose this game tonight too, givin up too many AB's to this scrub ass team....

the burnett issue, either demote him to longman duty (only put him in, in blowout games) or take his ass off the 40 man roster.... highly doubt another catcher is the answer; of the balls he's not throwing in the dirt, he's leaving way too many cookies in the middle of the plate.... He's doing nothin to set hitters up for that curveball....

So the hitters job becomes that much easier....

all they have to do is sit on his fastball.... and that's exactly what they're doing.

AJ Burnett=Eddie Lee Whitson lol.

I'm even more pissed that they did nothin for Colon out there earlier..... he didn't pitch a bad game at all.... They might lose this game tonight too, givin up too many AB's to this scrub ass team....

the burnett issue, either demote him to longman duty (only put him in, in blowout games) or take his ass off the 40 man roster.... highly doubt another catcher is the answer; of the balls he's not throwing in the dirt, he's leaving way too many cookies in the middle of the plate.... He's doing nothin to set hitters up for that curveball....

So the hitters job becomes that much easier....

all they have to do is sit on his fastball.... and that's exactly what they're doing.

like some posters here I don't think resigning molina who help burnett. plus we have enough catchers already (martin and cervelli) burnett just has to get it together. As I write this the yankees are winning 3-2 in the top of the 9th.

EDIT: the yankees won 3-2. with rivera picking up another save!

Archived