• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/23/2022 at 1:26 AM, darkstar8983 said:

I guess in terms of yard assignments:

concourse - (B) 

Coney Island - (D)(N)(Q)(R) 

jamaica - (E)(F)(G)(W) 

since concourse really can’t handle more than one line. Another problem I see is the 4 Av Line. We’re now going to have two locals ( the (B) and (R) ) and one express ( the (D) ), and 30+ TPH will be platforming at DeKalb Av for the (B)(N) and (Q). If the (B) is planned to skip DeKalb Av, then it would be the 4 Av Express to 36 St; then local to Bay Ridge-95 St. So in that case, the (B) cannot arrive at 36 St and allow for cross-platform connections with any other lune since it has to switch to local just past 25 St, similar to how the (N) did when the 4 Av Express track was out of service between 36 and 59 Sts. These changes do not allow for additional trains or services to be added since you still have interlining along 4 Av

To me, it seems like a plan like this would only work if you add a switch between local and express tracks south of 36th.  This is vanshnookenraggen's deinterlining plan.

So (B) and (D) both skip DeKalb and run as 4th Ave express.  South of 36th, once (R) has left toward West End, (B) switches to local to serve Bay Ridge and (D) continues as express to Sea Beach.  I think that would resolve the interlining on 4th Ave.

You are correct that the existing switches would not be sufficient, because now you are introducing a conflict between (R) and (B) on the 4th Ave local.  That would be silly.  Keep the lines separated as follows:

(B)(D) 6th Ave express - Manhattan Bridge N lines - 4th Ave express.  Lines diverge south of 36th street, with one service to Bay Ridge via 4th Ave local and one service to Sea Beach via 4th Ave express.  New switch between express and local would be needed so that the divergence does not interfere with (R) service.

(N)(Q) Broadway express - Manhattan Bridge S lines - Brighton.  Lines diverge south of Prospect Park, with one service express to Brighton Beach and one service local to Coney Island.

(R)(W) Broadway local.  (W) can terminate at Whitehall, but conceivably could be extended into Brooklyn to either 9th Ave or Bay Parkway if service demands it.  (R) will follow Montague tunnel and serve as the 4th Ave local, stopping at DeKalb.  This service does not interfere with any other South Brooklyn line.  Service south of 36th continues on the West End line to Coney Island.

7 hours ago, Vulturious said:

I feel like the (J) Shutdown along with no (Z) service is the MTA checking to see how well people adapt to this change and whether they should keep it around or not. Who knows, I'm probably thinking too deep into this.

Mmmm maybe. The MTA knows they’re gonna fall off the físical cliff in a couple of years, so they maybe are trying to work out a contingency plan such as:

- 8-minute (J) service 

- Eliminating the (W) train again ( (N) train back to local service in Manhattan weekdays via Manhattan Bridge)

- reduced rush hour service on the (B) and maybe curtailing it to 145 St, with (D) trains shifted to local service in the Bronx.

remember that earlier this year we got a sneak peek at ridership patterns now post-covid, showing which routes have recovered ridership and which lines lag behind. Eastern Queens has recovered faster that west-Queens. Maybe someone else here can chime in on their views on the other boroughs

New York City Transit alone has a budget nearly every other transit agency across the country can only dream of - plus all that extra funding from the Feds over the past year - and they’re still going to fall off a fiscal cliff in a couple of years? Something about that is not adding up.

Meanwhile, some of those other transit agencies are figuring out how expand their systems and fix what’s busted with their smaller budgets. While here, we just talk about cutting services, which will just chase off riders who will take to their SUVs and clog the roads even more.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

56 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

New York City Transit alone has a budget nearly every other transit agency across the country can only dream of - plus all that extra funding from the Feds over the past year - and they’re still going to fall off a fiscal cliff in a couple of years? Something about that is not adding up.

Meanwhile, some of those other transit agencies are figuring out how expand their systems and fix what’s busted with their smaller budgets. While here, we just talk about cutting services, which will just chase off riders who will take to their SUVs and clog the roads even more.

This is why I laugh at the fans in this transit community, They want to see cuts just for the sake of it not understanding how it would hurt. (MTA)  likes to overscarp equipment and when ridership grows back up, They don't have enough equipment to handle the demand. We had had subway car shortages from 1993 to 2004 and and have one from 2010- to present day. Buses aren't an issue because their replacements come in faster than subway cars.

Pre Pandemic there was no excuse on why the (C) and (G) trains running with 4 car and 8 car trains ( Now the (G) is 5 car r160s).

Now the (MTA) is concerned the r211s might be delayed another 6-9 months due to the issues going on with the word when it comes to global supply.

12 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

The (MTA) does not know how to spend their money. It’s a fact. Someone needs to do something here, because NYCTA already gets the lion’s share of funding from the federal government. See, the (MTA) also has the habit of waiting until cars ARE LITERALLY FALLING APART. It’s getting quite annoying at this point. Just look at Broadway. It’s on life support right now.

Just look at the London Underground, they received 200% less funds than the (MTA) gets, and their subway system is amazing. 3 minute frequencies at times. Electronic bus signs. All of that.

I worry for NYC, because 75% of households don’t own a car, and rely on the system daily. If the (MTA) continues to make these careless f*cking mistakes, then we’re in for a ride. 

14 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Mmmm maybe. The MTA knows they’re gonna fall off the físical cliff in a couple of years, so they maybe are trying to work out a contingency plan such as:

- 8-minute (J) service 

- Eliminating the (W) train again ( (N) train back to local service in Manhattan weekdays via Manhattan Bridge)

- reduced rush hour service on the (B) and maybe curtailing it to 145 St, with (D) trains shifted to local service in the Bronx.

remember that earlier this year we got a sneak peek at ridership patterns now post-covid, showing which routes have recovered ridership and which lines lag behind. Eastern Queens has recovered faster that west-Queens. Maybe someone else here can chime in on their views on the other boroughs

Would you mind sending the ridership numbers for each line, or the source

On 6/25/2022 at 7:48 AM, darkstar8983 said:

I know that I posted this before but I don’t recall if I got a response from this, but concerning the upcoming (J) train shutdown east of 121 St, and the claim that the MTA will run the same level of service along the line, why will the (Z) train and skip-stop service be suspended? Is there something I’m missing, because if the same level of service can be provided along the line, then wouldn’t it make sense for the same service patterns to run (or just start the skip stop service west of Woodhaven Blvd, and have the (J)(Z) both stop at 121 St, 111 St and 104 St

My guess is that by stopping at all stations east of Woodhaven Blvd, skip-stop would be very inefficient. In that case, the (J) and the (Z)would only skip three stops east of Broadway Junction, plus the (J) would make five consecutive stops before skipping its first stop (75th St - Elderts Lane). In a case where skip-stop would start right at 121st Street (with the (J)stopping at that stop), the (J)skipping 111th Street would most likely put a burden on 121st Street. So the (MTA)probably ought to suspend skip-stop service all together and have the (J)run every 5 minutes during rush hours.

26 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Here’s a random thought for you guys… R160A 9955-9958 now runs on the (M). Just saw it at Court Square. This must mean that it’s true that all R160s have CBTC capabilities, and can run in Queens Blvd, and the (M) actually has a spare factor now.

(M) always had a spare factor, It just grew and now they can use any R160A-1 from 8377-8652,9943-9974. If they wanted to they could send the (C) about 3-4 R179 sets and they'll still be fine. By them doing this they can reduce their spare factor a bit since the (J)(Z) can use anything.

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

(M) always had a spare factor, It just grew and now they can use any R160A-1 from 8377-8652,9943-9974. If they wanted to they could send the (C) about 3-4 R179 sets and they'll still be fine. By them doing this they can reduce their spare factor a bit since the (J)(Z) can use anything.

I knew the (M) had access to 8377-8608 but didn’t know it had access to the 8609-8652/9943-9974 R160s. Interesting to know. And yes the (J)(Z) can use anything (R143 / R160A / R179)

11 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

I knew the (M) had access to 8377-8608 but didn’t know it had access to the 8609-8652/9943-9974 R160s. Interesting to know. And yes the (J)(Z) can use anything (R143 / R160A / R179)

yeah 9963-60/9950-9948 was also on the (M) . The (M) only used 8377-8612 while 8613-8652/9943-9974 was mainly for the (J)(Z) up until last week.

12 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

The only restriction is the (L) Canarsie-14 St line, they can only use 8313-8376 for the CBTC on there. Any other R160 for example, 8444-8441 and 9971-9974 can't be used. 

Hi, I was wondering, did the (J) and (Z) lines use the newer R160A sets with the new Marc Jacobs ad-wrapped on car body numbers #8409-#8412 and #8453-#8456 yet? I’ve heard that they’ve been using those sets a lot on the (M) line now a days. And, I know that the (J) and (Z) lines usually share the same equipment models with the same, exact body numbers of the R160A sets from the (M) line.

3 hours ago, ejmanalo6168 said:

Hi, I was wondering, did the (J) and (Z) lines use the newer R160A sets with the new Marc Jacobs ad-wrapped on car body numbers #8409-#8412 and #8453-#8456 yet? I’ve heard that they’ve been using those sets a lot on the (M) line now a days. And, I know that the (J) and (Z) lines usually share the same equipment models with the same, exact body numbers of the R160A sets from the (M) line.

They probably have since the (J) is free to use any train ENY has unlike both the (L) and (M) 

3 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

They probably have since the (J) is free to use any train ENY has unlike both the (L) and (M) 

I thought the (M) line can also use all of the newer R160A sets from ENY as well just like how the (J) and (Z) line does. But I know that the (L) line can only use car body numbers #8313-#8376 due to the restriction along the Canarsie-14 St line since they use the older version of the CBTC, which is already equipped with ATO.

7 hours ago, ejmanalo6168 said:

That ad wrap is specifically for the (M) line only. It's likely part of the ad contract.

8 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

After it's unwrapped, probably.

I mean, they gotta use them on the (J) and (Z) lines at least once. Look at the newer R160A sets with the ZOHO One ad-wrapped on car body numbers #9348-#9352, they were mainly used on the (E) line. But that set was also  shared with the (R) and (F) lines. But I have yet to see them on the (G) line.