SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

2 hours ago, Vulturious said:

From what I heard, and this is just a rumor so don't quote me on this, the girl that was attacking the dude only attacked because the dude was disrespecting Kavon (the person that died train surfing a few weeks or months ago on the Williamsburg Bridge). Apparently, she's the girlfriend and didn't take too kindly to what the kid was saying. The kid, again from what I heard, was confirmed to be Mr Foamer who's rather infamous in the transit community for hate speech (ironic) and attacking people on social media and the different platforms he's on. 

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this story were to be true given that Mr Foamer has gone out straight up laughing at Kavon when he died train surfing. I would know because I've seen some of the stuff this person has said through screenshots from other people about him. Again, this is just a rumor and the investigation is still continuing so we won't know any more information until we hear more news.

I second this. Believe it’s true honestly.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, NBTA said:

I second this. Believe it’s true honestly.

Even if he did, I don't understand the racial slurs. I'd be curious to understand what insults the Black kid used, if any. In any event, the three Hispanic teens better have a good explanation because it is being painted as a racist attack/hate crime in the media, whether true or not, and as it stands, their attack is on camera.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

43 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Even if he did, I don't understand the racial slurs. I'd be curious to understand what insults the Black kid used, if any. In any event, the three Hispanic teens better have a good explanation because it is being painted as a racist attack/hate crime in the media, whether true or not, and as it stands, their attack is on camera.

That was actually a random fan just being ignorant. Probably around the age of 14-15, probably black himself as well.

6 hours ago, Vulturious said:

From what I heard, and this is just a rumor so don't quote me on this, the girl that was attacking the dude only attacked because the dude was disrespecting Kavon (the person that died train surfing a few weeks or months ago on the Williamsburg Bridge). Apparently, she's the girlfriend and didn't take too kindly to what the kid was saying. The kid, again from what I heard, was confirmed to be Mr Foamer who's rather infamous in the transit community for hate speech (ironic) and attacking people on social media and the different platforms he's on. 

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this story were to be true given that Mr Foamer has gone out straight up laughing at Kavon when he died train surfing. I would know because I've seen some of the stuff this person has said through screenshots from other people about him. Again, this is just a rumor and the investigation is still continuing so we won't know any more information until we hear more news.

To add on to this, there’s videos of him jumping and fighting other transit fans, more infamously, in Astoria (I believe 30th Avenue).

1 hour ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

Bruh why everyone obsessed with these fighting kids?

In some ways by talking about it we are giving them attention they don’t deserve.

I don't think you and a few other people realize how serious this is being taken. A gang of teens beating another one while it is being recorded. This is not normal behavior and if it is over some trains, that makes it even more ridiculous. 

4 hours ago, NBTA said:

That was actually a random fan just being ignorant. Probably around the age of 14-15, probably black himself as well.

2 hours ago, NBTA said:

To add on to this, there’s videos of him jumping and fighting other transit fans, more infamously, in Astoria (I believe 30th Avenue).

Yeah well they should be prepared to note all of this when they are dragged in by the NYPD because the video posted and shown in the media paints a much different picture and all it shows is a bunch of Latino kids beating up a Black kid while racial slurs are being hurled. I don't know how that can be a "misunderstanding". Smh

I'm not that old and had friends of all backgrounds growing up. That term was not just thrown around so casually unless someone did something to really piss someone else off. Still makes no sense to me.

To "jump" someone means that someone else is joining him to gang up on someone else. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

On 3/12/2023 at 6:38 PM, Kamen Rider said:

So tell me this?

Where do I eat my lunch?

Where do I go to the bathroom?

where do I sign in and out?

where do I sit when they don’t need me?

Wally, these are just an handful of the MANY things you never consider when you start making these plans.

the trains are operated by people. People have needs. I am one of those people. I am not a robot. I need breaks. I need to rest. 8th avenue does not have the space to do that, Canarsie does. So you would have to build a brand new crew reporting base and dispatch facility at Atlantic Avenue….

or just give up on this pointless idea and leave the L alone.

They could likely add employee restrooms and other such necessary facilities there for example.  The main purpose is to be able to have a short-turn location for the (L) that clearly has most of it's passengers north/west of that point.  Obviously those issues you cite would have to be addressed as part of this and would be part of any rebuild obviously that would allow Atlantic to return to being a six-track station (with two of the tracks being terminal/storage tracks). 

22 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

This is not normal behavior and if it is over some trains, that makes it even more ridiculous. 

You have no idea.

In the transit community, there’s always some type of childish drama going on, wether it be fighting, name calling, etc etc. It’s disgusting. And most of it is over stupid shit, like train cars.

The amount of incidents that have occurred on special excursion trains (like the TOMC or R211 inaugural ride), have gone up tremendously and it’s concerning. On the R32’s it was fights and vandalism, on the TOMC it was someone getting pulled off the train by NYPD and everyone around the incident screaming and recording the altercation, and now you have this.

23 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

You have no idea.

In the transit community, there’s always some type of childish drama going on, wether it be fighting, name calling, etc etc. It’s disgusting. And most of it is over stupid shit, like train cars.

The amount of incidents that have occurred on special excursion trains (like the TOMC or R211 inaugural ride), have gone up tremendously and it’s concerning. On the R32’s it was fights and vandalism, on the TOMC it was someone getting pulled off the train by NYPD and everyone around the incident screaming and recording the altercation, and now you have this.

Yeah it's pretty wild. You know what's funny to me is that I can only recall one time in all of the years that I have taken the subway where I have seen a railfan taking photos or whatever and that was several years ago at Columbus Circle and at that time I was wondering what the guy was doing since it was rush hour. I just saw him going around the platform taking photos. If it wasn't for this forum, I wouldn't have known the hobby even existed.

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

You have no idea.

One person is in custody and the other two have been identified.  NYPD Hate Crimes is also investigating. Hopefully the people that think this isn't a big deal realize that you can't go around doing stuff like this.  

https://abc7ny.com/subway-attack-nyc-autism-suspects-identified/12957070/?ex_cid=TA_WABC_FB&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A Trending Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2PRIiFMZV--2wpoAeGvAGirVhhWDrxWGvhDVv7OcK9yxdKzncaZijzdJw

* Sometimes, when I board an (F) train from Jay St going to W.8 St-NY Aquarium, I get a train that's short turned to Kings Highway only to go express from Church Av to Kings Highway itself getting the other train passing by to Coney Island. At certain times gives it lucky timing, even though it's not a <F> train. Observed at the PM rush hour around 5:30 PM. 

* Waiting for a (6) train to go to Spring St, seen a (5) arriving at 14 St-Union Square, a passenger states in almost a demanding mood to the conductor. "You should have the (5) going to Flatbush Av, why is this going to Utica Av, you need this to go to Flatbush Av as this is my train all the time". Response from conductor, "It's part of the train schedule, I can't do nothing about it".  (3:30 PM, afternoon hour)

Edited by Calvin

Something I find annoying is that on a high ridership like the (L) why the conductors still have to waste time changing ends to open the doors at terminals, and the long delays entering 8 Av. This means that too many trainsets are on the road for the schedule given. I think some time can be saved if the conductors are assigned one cabin for both directions of travel like how it’s done on the (7). Many times have I missed connections to the (A) train (and how it’s so irregular due to the two-terminal operations in Queens) because conductors waste time changing ends at 8’Av and setting up the computers to display the Canarsie bound announcements even though that should be the job of the incoming train crews. Just open the doors immediately when the train arrives at the terminal and assign conductors to one side of the train so you don’t have to deal with the whole “trains must close to reopen” issue.

image.png?width=1440&height=591image.png?width=925&height=676

Why does the (W) have a late night program? You can tell it's late night because of the lack of (5)(B)(C)(D)(M) and 42 St (S) transfers along with the (R) missing under 57 St and Lexington Av-63 St (which is the free transfer to 59 St). What's also weird is there's no (4) transfer at Lexington Av-63 St yet there is one at Canal St and Union Square.

On 3/12/2023 at 3:58 PM, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

I was thinking the same thing; the ability to short-turn trains at Atlantic Avenue would be very nice and I think they should at least try and bring back the full-length abandoned platform right across from the active one.

Generally though, idk if I like the "Brown (K)" idea cause then that means the Jamacia el would have  3 branches between Myrtle, Canarsie, and Jamacia which would just lead to scheduling issues and delays. Most of those "Brown (K)" riders who previously took the (L) all the way into Manhattan would just transfer to the (L) at Atlantic so it wouldn't be like you're pulling many folks actually off the busiest portion of the (L), just making their commutes more annoying. Would still be worth an investigation though.

If crowding does get bad though, having a few short-turn (L) trains starting at Atlantic could be nice, especially since Canarsie in it's current set up isn't a very good terminal.

There are very clear benefits to having the short-turn at Atlantic, namely the ability to run more trains on (L) .   Of course, somthing has to be done to 8th Ave to make sure that all of those trains can be turned back as well.

4 minutes ago, mrsman said:

There are very clear benefits to having the short-turn at Atlantic, namely the ability to run more trains on (L) .   Of course, somthing has to be done to 8th Ave to make sure that all of those trains can be turned back as well.

To fix 8th Ave they need to bring back the switches that connected to Track M between 6th Ave & 8th Ave. That alone should be able to provide an additional 2-3 TPH.

The benefit of bringing back brown K type service would be to allow better usage of the express tracks between Myrtle station and Broadway Junction.  From Broadway Jucntion, the fastest potential trip to midtown would involve using those express tracks on a train that then heads to 6th Ave.  (L) would be slower than this service, because it has too many stops.  (A) would be slower because it takes a longer trip via the Financial District.

Now the number of trains that can run along this stretch of track is limited, so there are defiinitely concerns about dividing up the service in three ways, but could we potentially consider the following:

Orange J Jamaica - serving all stops between Jamaica and Broadway Junction - rush hour express between BJ and Manhattan - 6th Ave local - QBL local to Forest Hills

Brown K:  Atlantic - local stops along Broadway Brooklyn - Chambers (rush hour only)

Brown M: Metropolitan - local stops along Broadway Brooklyn - Broad Street

18 hours ago, Vulturious said:

image.png?width=1440&height=591image.png?width=925&height=676

Why does the (W) have a late night program? You can tell it's late night because of the lack of (5)(B)(C)(D)(M) and 42 St (S) transfers along with the (R) missing under 57 St and Lexington Av-63 St (which is the free transfer to 59 St). What's also weird is there's no (4) transfer at Lexington Av-63 St yet there is one at Canal St and Union Square.

The time is separate from the programs. IIRC, if the crew selects an interval (aka departure time) during the overnight hours the transfers listed change.

Recently, I've noticed on (N) trains to 96 St instead of the Q via Sea Beach coding, they use their own N route to 96 St via Broadway. Also, all signs have (N) when heading over to the Second Av line. No Q was put, I think it's to avoid constant changing at the last stop (also maybe to avoid sign shortage at the shop). That's on their R46 class cars. 

Edited by Calvin

32 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Recently, I've noticed on (N) trains to 96 St instead of the Q via Sea Beach coding, they use their own N route to 96 St via Broadway. Also, all signs have (N) when heading over to the Second Av line. No Q was put, I think it's to avoid constant changing at the last stop. That's on their R46 class cars. 

That’s something I never understood. On the R46s, they show off the sign changes for the (N) to 96 St trips, but on the R68s and R160s, the signs were changed to (Q) vía Sea Beach. There are 96 St announcements for almost every route except the (N) which is the easiest to get rerouted 

25 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

That’s something I never understood. On the R46s, they show off the sign changes for the (N) to 96 St trips, but on the R68s and R160s, the signs were changed to (Q) vía Sea Beach. There are 96 St announcements for almost every route except the (N) which is the easiest to get rerouted 

I don't think there is an (N) to 96 St program on any of the NTT's, it's probably only on the R46's that have them. It should be easy to create a program for it since they spliced the (M)'s program to 96 St from the (Q), shouldn't be too hard to do the same thing to the (N)

1 minute ago, Siemenslover said:

I think it should be called (Q) if it’s going to 96th, especially if it’s PM rush. If someone gets on in bk, they wouldn’t have to do anything unless they get off at dekalb. 

While yes, since it's going to 96 St, those in Manhattan are probably going to be confused on which train is going where. However, this is a normal routing because it's a rush hour put-in, majority of the route is literally the (N) up until Herald Square where it continues to stay express going to 96 St. I think the only reason it's kept as the (Q) via Sea Beach was because of the lack of any programming for the (N) to 96 St with the exception of the R46's which does have them.

3 hours ago, Calvin said:

Recently, I've noticed on (N) trains to 96 St instead of the Q via Sea Beach coding, they use their own N route to 96 St via Broadway. Also, all signs have (N) when heading over to the Second Av line. No Q was put, I think it's to avoid constant changing at the last stop (also maybe to avoid sign shortage at the shop). That's on their R46 class cars. 

That's been happening mainly since last Sumner. 

It is partly due to sign change effort required.

sometimes, just as an example, an N or W arrives at Astoria and the train is switched over to the other line. If it’s an R68, they often skip it for the next 46, since all the 68’s signs are manually changed, where are the 46s, the end signs are motorized.

having to manually crank all those side signs takes a lot of time, which we often don’t have between arrival and departure.