SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So a man brought in a motorcycle in an (most likely) 4 train didn't move for other passengers to move after he literally parked it in front of the door. People kept telling him to move, but he just became more pissed. At the same time, another man (on a different train) on a R160 got pissed at another man because he was sleeping on his shoulder. The man yelled 'I'm not your damn pillow!' in spanish a few times and then elbowed him not only because of that, but a comment on the man's irate mom. Another passenger tried to stand up for the elbowed man, and then the man beat up that passenger. So yeah. 

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

The Williamsburg bridge does have a TPH limit and that's on the DOT and not the (MTA). it's at 98% capacity.

Okay, so the Department of Transportation will always forever be shitty then.

A total of 18 trains entering Essex St from 8 am to 9 am and leaving said station from 5 pm to 6 pm is very low. The (J)(Z) combined run on a 5 minute headway while the (M) runs on a mere 10 minute headway instead of the same headway.

But whatever. I said what I said.

Edited by Jemorie

6 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

Okay, so the Department of Transportation will always forever be shitty then.

A total of 18 trains entering Essex St from 8 am to 9 am and leaving said station from 5 pm to 6 pm is very low. The (J)(Z) combined run on a 5 minute while the (M) runs on a mere 10 minute headway instead of the same headway.

But whatever. I said what I said.

The bridge is pretty old so it's understandable on why, This is why i wish they can build new river tubes to get the trains off of the bridges, esp the Manhattan bridge. By doing this you can increase service and don't have to worry about a limit or slow speeds and etc.

Manhattan bridge has a flaw since trains run on the side instead of the middle hence the 20 plus year construction of it, By building a tube they can also fix that dekalb junction as well. 

Willamsburg bridge is fine but the the age of the bridge is why they have the limit also the last project in 1999 when they redid the bridge is also a factor.

14 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

The bridge is pretty old so it's understandable on why, This is why i wish they can build new river tubes to get the trains off of the bridges, esp the Manhattan bridge. By doing this you can increase service and don't have to worry about a limit or slow speeds and etc.

Manhattan bridge has a flaw since trains run on the side instead of the middle hence the 20 plus year construction of it, By building a tube they can also fix that dekalb junction as well. 

Willamsburg bridge is fine but the the age of the bridge is why they have the limit also the last project in 1999 when they redid the bridge is also a factor.

The lone good thing about the Manhattan Bridge is the (B)(D)(N)(Q) each run on a 6 minute headway during rush hours, meaning each side of the bridge has at most 20 tph.

And yeah, they can build a tube under the river but because of how expensive it can cost, I thought increasing service on the existing bridge (the Williamsburg Bridge) would be cheaper instead.

But I appreciate you for being informative with the post. Thanks.

I also want to further add on my post that, unlike WillyB, the MannyB with the (B)(D)(N)(Q) each have the same 6 minute headways during rush hours unlike the (M)‘s 10 minute headway verses the (J)(Z) combined which is 5 minutes.

Edited by Jemorie

I've been wondering what the subway would look like today if John Hylan were never fired from the BRT (he grew to hate the private companies for this and thus created the IND when he became mayor)

The BMT had plans for an 8th Avenue line and I know the Broadway express trains would have filled in the role of the (B)(D) on Central Park west. Perhaps on the southern end of the 8th Avenue line there would be connections to the Williamsburg or Manhattan bridges. Today's 6th and 2nd avenue lines could have been IRT or PATH lines which is interesting to imagine

2 minutes ago, Reptile said:

I've been wondering what the subway would look like today if John Hylan were never fired from the BRT (he grew to hate the private companies for this and thus created the IND when he became mayor)

The BMT had plans for an 8th Avenue line and I know the Broadway express trains would have filled in the role of the (B)(D) on Central Park west. Perhaps on the southern end of the 8th Avenue line there would be connections to the Williamsburg or Manhattan bridges. Today's 6th and 2nd avenue lines could have been IRT or PATH lines which is interesting to imagine

This is rather interesting since there are provisions at the Canal St lower level on the Broadway line that would've ran crosstown towards the West side of Manhattan. Maybe if the IND wasn't created, Broadway express wouldn't have connected to the Manhattan Bridge and instead ran towards 8 Av. Maybe I'm missing some extra information since who knows how 8 Av would have local service running around or if it would have express service to begin with. 

PATH would probably have dominated 6 Av since if I'm not mistaken they already built along 6 Av. We'll never know past that point cause this is purely what-if territory. Although, if I were to hazard a guess as to what would've happened focusing solely in Manhattan:

• Broadway express would've continued down towards Montague St tunnel cutting back Broadway locals to City Hall as the last stop
  • Canal St lower level isn't connected to Broadway Express and instead runs towards 6 Av to turn north and running similar stops to identical stops along 8 Av after West 4 St.
  • CPW, the Bronx, and QBL might've still happened, but QBL would look a little differently
  • connections between CPW and Broadway is created
  • A compromise between the city and the BRT/BMT would've been made with Hylan put in charge of transit infrastructure altogether
  • 6 Av is built as normal with it's connections and service into South Brooklyn
  • The Manhattan bridge sees reconstruction as normal with 8 Av connected to the south side and 6 Av obviously connected to the north

Again, this is what-if territory so don't take whatever I say seriously. There are a lot of moving parts happening here and I do not know what will happen in the outer boroughs as there is a lot of history to unpack and a lot of consideration as to what would and would not have happened. No idea as to what will happen to certain ELs since they were still around during this time, maybe they would've been replaced either way. 

* From the timetable of the (M) train, this line is reduced to 10 8 car trains during the weekday hour to/from 57 St. 14 trains are freed to the choices of the (F) Shuttle and (C) train. 

* Also, the (R) has trips to 59 St being the last one during the AM rush to arrive is at 9:55 AM. Meanwhile, there's a put-in from 36 St to Forest Hills at 12:00 PM. Wonder if they'll keep some trains at the Sea Beach Express tracks to bring the trains back in-service as put on the timetable. 

https://new.mta.info/document/9521

And a (M) at Lexington Av-53 St today. 

57 minutes ago, Calvin said:

* From the timetable of the (M) train, this line is reduced to 10 8 car trains during the weekday hour to/from 57 St. 14 trains are freed to the choices of the (F) Shuttle and (C) train. 

* Also, the (R) has trips to 59 St being the last one during the AM rush to arrive is at 9:55 AM. Meanwhile, there's a put-in from 36 St to Forest Hills at 12:00 PM. Wonder if they'll keep some trains at the Sea Beach Express tracks to bring the trains back in-service as put on the timetable. 

aren’t 2 R160 sets enough to serve as shuttle service? 

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

And yet the (C) still has a bunch of R46s still rolling on that line. I would have just moved a few R179s to make the (C) full NTT and all R160s to the (J) to fill in the gaps. But this may keep the spare factor up 

1 hour ago, Chris89292 said:

aren’t 2 R160 sets enough to serve as shuttle service? 

Yes, today: I noticed only 1 8-car set on the Shuttle although at each ends, they arrive and depart with the same train. The other 8-car train is used as a spare just like the 42 St (S) , 2 6-car trains with 2 at the yard. 16 cars from ENY is enough through the first quarter of 2024. 

2 hours ago, Calvin said:

The AM (R) to 59th Street is not new. That's been happening for years and are usually the overnight crews that does those runs.

I was curious to the schedule changes for the R train, in case anyone else is curious and didn't want to compare for themselves:

This is for Northbound R trains (weekdays), the +1 etc means they depart from 36th st instead of 95th st
There's no changes in trains per hour before 8am/ after 6pm then the changes are basically:

old schedule .... new schedule
8-9am     8 trains ............... 6 trains                decrease
9-10am    6 trains ............... 6 trains                neutral
10-11am   6 trains ............... 7 trains                increase
11am-12pm 6 trains ............... 6 trains                neutral
12-1pm    6 trains ............... 7 trains + 2 (36th)     increase
1-2pm     6 trains + 1 (36th) .... 7 trains                neutral
2-3pm     7 trains ................8 trains + 2 (36th)     increase
3-4pm     6 trains + 2 (36th)......8 trains + 2 (36th)     increase
4-5pm     7 trains + 1 (36th)......7 trains + 3 (36th)     increase
5-6pm     8 trains.................9 trains                increase

very interesting to see,  i hope they get more crew soon because already day 1 i had a bad experience had to wait 15--20 minutes for a train at 11am..

Edited by habbyy

1 hour ago, habbyy said:

I was curious to the schedule changes for the R train, in case anyone else is curious and didn't want to compare for themselves:

This is for Northbound R trains (weekdays), the +1 etc means they depart from 36th st instead of 95th st
There's no changes in trains per hour before 8am/ after 6pm then the changes are basically:

old schedule .... new schedule
8-9am     8 trains ............... 6 trains                decrease
9-10am    6 trains ............... 6 trains                neutral
10-11am   6 trains ............... 7 trains                increase
11am-12pm 6 trains ............... 6 trains                neutral
12-1pm    6 trains ............... 7 trains + 2 (36th)     increase
1-2pm     6 trains + 1 (36th) .... 7 trains                neutral
2-3pm     7 trains ................8 trains + 2 (36th)     increase
3-4pm     6 trains + 2 (36th)......8 trains + 2 (36th)     increase
4-5pm     7 trains + 1 (36th)......7 trains + 3 (36th)     increase
5-6pm     8 trains.................9 trains                increase

very interesting to see,  i hope they get more crew soon because already day 1 i had a bad experience had to wait 15--20 minutes for a train at 11am..

Yeah I’ve noticed something like that too, the whole 63rd street project is causing problems on the QBL, could be over exaggerating but the passengers see it that way

3 hours ago, Daniel The Cool said:

The AM (R) to 59th Street is not new. That's been happening for years and are usually the overnight crews that does those runs.

There are a lot more (R)s to 59 St during the AM Rush (and a lot more (R)s from 36 St in the afternoon) in the updated August 28, 2023 schedule versus the June 26, 2022 schedule as a result of the increase in service.

Edited by Jemorie

9 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Before they did these combo (2) / (5) strip maps, did the old (2) maps ever have the local stops along 7th Ave or no?

The strip map has a limit to 64 stops. The late night (2) service along 7 Av exceeds that number. So, only the Bronx and Brooklyn local stops are on the past strip map. 

Edited by Calvin

29 minutes ago, Calvin said:

The strip map has a limit to 64 stops. The late night (2) service along 7 Av exceeds that number. So, only the Bronx and Brooklyn local stops are on the past strip map. 

Unless the train runs to/from New Lots Avenue, the math doesn't check out.

The  (B) and (R) should swap in Brooklyn. Let the (R) run Brighton Express and the  (B) run 4th Ave Local. This way the (R) can run to Astoria and still have yard access. The (B) can use Concourse Yard, sending the(D)  to CIY. Yes, you'd have to run the on weekends, but they really need to anyway to alleviate the (C) .

36 minutes ago, Lex said:

Unless the train runs to/from New Lots Avenue, the math doesn't check out.

That’s correct because the overnight (2) has a total of 61 stops. But now that the 239th St/East 180 St/Unionport Yard’s R142s have their strip maps completely combing the (2) / (5)it’s impossible to add all of the 7th Ave local stops because as @Calvin stated, the aforementioned strip maps are only limited to 64 stops total.

6 minutes ago, TDL said:

The  (B) and (R) should swap in Brooklyn. Let the (R) run Brighton Express and the  (B) run 4th Ave Local. This way the (R) can run to Astoria and still have yard access. The (B) can use Concourse Yard, sending the(D)  to CIY. Yes, you'd have to run the on weekends, but they really need to anyway to alleviate the (C) .

Adding onto this, to eliminate the 34th Street merge on Broadway, the (N) can run via. 63rd Street to QBL local. 

There should be a subway line to Staten Island from the existing Bay Ridge 95th Street Station. This will require getting rid of the false walls just south of the station that once extended further down to 101st Street. In order for it to be feasible, it should be built as a 2 track tunnel along the Verrazano Narrows bridge under the Lower Bay, and along the Staten Island expressway. Stopping at Lily Pond Avenue, Hylan Boulevard, and Grasmere. After Lily Pond Avenue, the line will either emerge as an elevated, or run on the median of the Staten Island expressway with non-revenue trackway connections to the Staten Island Railway. This can be served by the (R) and/or (W) lines.