SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is everyone's thoughts on passenger-activated doors in the subway? In Paris and other european cities the doors don't open automatically, intead you push a button. I think this would help extend the life of door motors as outside of peak hours and busy stations not all doors will need to open all the time, plus it might make C/R jobs easier too as doors cannot be opened last minute. 

50 minutes ago, shiznit1987 said:

What is everyone's thoughts on passenger-activated doors in the subway? In Paris and other european cities the doors don't open automatically, intead you push a button. I think this would help extend the life of door motors as outside of peak hours and busy stations not all doors will need to open all the time, plus it might make C/R jobs easier too as doors cannot be opened last minute. 

Not only that, but platform screen doors can help. You can push the button on the screen doors so you won't have to walk up to a horde of people waiting to get through one of the 3/4 doors on a car.

1 hour ago, shiznit1987 said:

In theory a good idea, but there are def several things to consider:

1. Will it be easy for physically disabled people to activate the doors?

2. On a busy train, can the button be accidentally pressed?

3. How do you design a system that can't be abused by customers but is also safe and reliable?

4. What happens if a button or whatever mechanism used breaks? 

5. At super busy stations could it cause problems when boarder/onboarding the train since multiple people may try to activate the doors to open at once

Just a random thought - today the so-called (W) train I think ran every 40 or 60 minutes from Astoria to Whitehall St. Likely there weren’t enough crews since the usual service pattern is from Astoria to 34 St-Herald Sq every 24 minutes when the (7) is out, and the downtown (Q) is local in Manhattan. But since the (Q) train is split, they had to run the full-route (W) but with the same number of trainsets and crews that are usually available for the shortened weekend route. At that point, I would have just ran the (N) only.

On 10/21/2023 at 12:04 PM, Chris89292 said:

You abandoning the subway wouldn’t solve anything at all 😂

It would solve the problem of my hair smelling like a pack of used Newports every day. I'm not the one begging for people to return to the city center (Mayor Adams) and constantly griping about "pre-pandemic ridership levels" (the MTA, in every single press release, it seems) so it just seems odd that the MTA would continue to permit smoking, which violates state law and also discourages the 5% of New Yorkers who don't smoke from using the system. 

10 hours ago, Outerbridge said:

It would solve the problem of my hair smelling like a pack of used Newports every day. I'm not the one begging for people to return to the city center (Mayor Adams) and constantly griping about "pre-pandemic ridership levels" (the MTA, in every single press release, it seems) so it just seems odd that the MTA would continue to permit smoking, which violates state law and also discourages the 5% of New Yorkers who don't smoke from using the system. 

I presume they don't enforce the anti-smoking laws on the subway.  

I hate how the MTA has to close only 1 side of the platform during Station Rehabilitation on the (J) and (7), they could’ve closed it all together and get the work done much faster, people can just walk to the next station, they know something good is coming out from it, the delays on these projects are insane 

At some point, trains going to Coney Island (D) (F) (N) and (Q) without any general orders, during weekends, they may be crowded. That's to the case that the Luna Park will be open up to Halloween but then later on, select dates between November 18th, 2023 up to January 7th, 2024. Between January and up to middle of March, it may not be open due to freezing temperatures. 

6 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

I hate how the MTA has to close only 1 side of the platform during Station Rehabilitation on the (J) and (7), they could’ve closed it all together and get the work done much faster, people can just walk to the next station, they know something good is coming out from it, the delays on these projects are insane 

Considering how far behind they are at Woodhaven Blvd, heck-to-the-NO on closing both sides. It's bad enough I no longer have the option of taking the Q53 to the (J) when I need/want to get to Jamaica, but then to not have that option coming home is too much. 

If one (side) platform can't be done on time why trust that two would? Plus, the 82nd st station on the (7) is monsterously busy I can't see it being fully closed. 

9 minutes ago, shiznit1987 said:

Considering how far behind they are at Woodhaven Blvd, heck-to-the-NO on closing both sides. It's bad enough I no longer have the option of taking the Q53 to the (J) when I need/want to get to Jamaica, but then to not have that option coming home is too much. 

If one (side) platform can't be done on time why trust that two would? Plus, the 82nd st station on the (7) is monsterously busy I can't see it being fully closed. 

If both sides are closed, the completion date for the project will be shorter, probably by end of 2024, people can just talk to 74th street, more transit options, if the Astoria line was rehabilitated in this manner why can’t the flushing line, or Jamaica? 

On 10/28/2023 at 12:23 AM, Lawrence St said:

I love how they said the (A) and (C) like the (C) has been running one since they came out lol.

So? The (C) is basically a short-turn (A) making local stops while the full regular one runs express. If you rode the (A) at night, then basically you rode the (C).

Like the above poster said, both routes run alongside together or on the same tracks together in both Manhattan and Brooklyn. There isn’t anything wrong with treating them like a combined entity.

Edited by Jemorie

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

The R142 and R142As may be going back to the old setup displaying Express only on Lexington Av / Eastern Parkway showing "EXP". Maybe because it takes up most of the characters in my guess. 

The R188’s display “FLUSHING EXP” as well, same with the local (7) “FLUSHING LCL”