SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

29 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

well...

The Zs are technically Js and the Ws are Ns. 

There are no dedicated W or Z jobs in the system.

The <6> & <7> are not considered separate in any way. Those are just there to make it quick and obvious what they're doing.

The rest are fully separate lines.  

Ye internally the MTA designates the (W) as a variant of the (N) train for anything, however, on the front end in how they present to customers, MTA often lumps (J)(Z) together but keeps (N) and (W) distinct. Also at least one of (W) terminal is distinct from the (N), so the (W) is more of it's own train than the (Z) which rlly could just be a <J> imo. 

Also from my understanding while (N) and (W) share a fleet, my understanding is (J) and (Z) swap far more regularly likely in part because the (Z) only runs one direction and it's easier to swap on the NTTs rather than having to change all the rollsigns on an R46/R68

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

well...

The Zs are technically Js and the Ws are Ns. 

There are no dedicated W or Z jobs in the system.

The <6> & <7> are not considered separate in any way. Those are just there to make it quick and obvious what they're doing.

The rest are fully separate lines.  

So the <F> is the same way then, right?

17 hours ago, JustTheSIR said:

Does the (C) usually display "CTRL PARK W LCL" because I just noticed it on an R46 and I feel like it wasn't always there

IIRC "CENT PARK W LCL" has been a thing on the 46s for s few years, yeah

Think it came about when the MTA was updating the 46s with SAS codes, they did a bunch of stuff outside of that.

8317-8320, 8369-8372 on the (L) have the Renaissance ad-wrap while 8768-8772 out of Jamaica Yard has the Starbucks holiday ad-wrap. 

Also, don't know if that's not always the case but lately with the R68 and R68As being mixed as one train, they are mostly put in-service on the (B) rather than (N) (W) (Q) .

Edited by Calvin

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

8317-8320, 8369-8372 on the (L) have the Renaissance ad-wrap while 8768-8772 out of Jamaica Yard has the Starbucks holiday ad-wrap. 

Also, don't know if that's not always the case but lately with the R68 and R68As being mixed as one train, they are mostly put in-service on the (B) rather than (N) (W) (Q) .

Might have something to do with the amount of flats CIY trains be experiencing. I know there's been R160 (W) put-ins that have become normal lately to cover.

4 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Cool, what's XL North?

So, when you’re new with transit, you are “extra extra” or “XX” and can be assigned anywhere in your division. 

being a B division Conductor, that means every single line save for the shuttles.

i now have enough seniority to pick to be assigned down to working “extra”.

aside from the two divisions, the subway is broken down into five districts.

District 1: 0,1,2,5

district 2: 3,4,6

district 3 (B division South): B,D,N,Q,R,S,W

District 4 (B division North): A,C,H,J/Z,L,M

District 5 (Queens): E,F,G,7

(don’t ask me about the 7, I don’t know exactly why it’s lumped in with the QBL… operationally it’s crewed by district 1)

anyway, once you are high enough in seniority, you can pick to be assigned to just one of the districts in your division. This is “extra list” or “XL”. So that means, starting next month, I will only be working on the A,C,J/Z,L or M.

i will no longer have to go to the bronx.

i will no longer have to go to Stillwell Avenue.

i will no longer have to go to 179/hillside.

I will not longer have to work on R68/As.

4 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

So, when you’re new with transit, you are “extra extra” or “XX” and can be assigned anywhere in your division. 

being a B division Conductor, that means every single line save for the shuttles.

(don’t ask me about the 7, I don’t know exactly why it’s lumped in with the QBL… operationally it’s crewed by district 1)

anyway, once you are high enough in seniority, you can pick to be assigned to just one of the districts in your division. This is “extra list” or “XL”. So that means, starting next month, I will only be working on the A,C,J/Z,L or M.

Awesome, congrats on making it this point, just in time for Thanksgiving!!

(Also, what is the "0" in District 1 referring to?)

15 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Ah!  Congrats!

On 11/23/2023 at 5:55 AM, Kamen Rider said:

That’s nice. Congrats! No more Westinghouse/somewhat Kawasaki!