SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

So two people have been arrested for the vandalism incident that disrupted service on the Broadway lines a few weeks ago: A 14-year old (Name undisclosed as the person is a minor) and a 48-year old named Davide Perre.

Awesome. Now make them sing, so the rest of them can be scooped up and put into prison.

7 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

They don't understand that these lines increased in ridership overtime. Covid hit and created a big mess that we still in (crew availability) but ridership has grown back to what it is pre pandemic. People who don't even live here no more kept swearing up and down that ridership would never get back to pre covid levels and that everyone will be still doing remote work. 

Then you have the (MTA) pushing for congestion pricing when they aren't even ready due to lack of equipment and crew availability. 

2024-2025 is going to be brutal.

Yeah, hopefully they can sort all of this out soon enough.

Sidenote: your response to that poster was removed from the R211 thread, and I'm sure you already know why. Just giving you a heads up to be mindful of what you say here. Besides that, I did agree with your post.

5 minutes ago, RandomRider0101 said:

Yeah, hopefully they can sort all of this out soon enough.

Sidenote: your response to that poster was removed from the R211 thread, and I'm sure you already know why. Just giving you a heads up to be mindful of what you say here. Besides that, I did agree with your post.

Yeah, i got carried away. I just get tired of people who don't live here anymore telling me and others how things should get done when they don't see what's going on currently. It's a big insult to the people who want to see better service, esp if (MTA) is trying to extort more money out of people who drive know that they aren't ready.

It's frustrating when you commute and deal with the BS. It's a lot different from when people fan the system.

https://pix11.com/news/local-news/boy-14-arrested-for-throwing-brick-at-moving-d-train-in-brooklyn-nypd/amp/

Boy, 14, arrested for throwing brick at moving D train in Brooklyn: NYPD

BROOKLYN, N.Y. (PIX11) – A 14-year-old boy was arrested for throwing a brick at a moving northbound D train and smashing its windows in Bensonhurst, according to the NYPD.

Police said the incident happened near 62nd Street and New Utrecht Avenue on Sept. 26. The brick damaged the window of the train operator’s cabin, authorities said.

No injuries were reported. Police said the boy, along with two other unidentified men, fled the scene after throwing the brick.

The teenager was charged with reckless endangerment and criminal mischief.

What I've noticed on the (F) Shuttle: making stops at Lexington Av-63 St, Roosevelt Island and 21 St-Queensbridge. Been a while since I used Lexington Av-63 St for the (F) to Jamaica-179 St before the changes that started last month. 

* There's a train operator (train op #1), a conductor and another train operator (train op #2) at the other side too. Train operator #1 goes on its trip from 21 St up to 63 St but ends at the middle point before 57 St. Train operator #2 brings the train back up at Lexington Av-63 St from stopping at the middle point and continues up to 21 St. That Shuttle train doesn't stop completely at 63 St but has at least 5 mins to clear the station at each end. 

Edited by Calvin

So I'm thinking about Livonia Yard and IRT Capacity in Brooklyn.

- The Facility itself is outdated since it can't house cranes nor does it have enough space to maintain the HVAC units on the 142's. Found out from a buddy of mine a while ago that you'd have to sit on a bucket or Squat to perform any maintence on the 62's in Livonia. (Never been to Livonia nor am I a part of Car Equipment so IDK how true that statement is).

- I remember reading from the 20 YN Report that a bunch of makeshift Office Space, Wash Rooms and Locker Rooms exist and only 1 Boiler to heat the place up. 

- There's no Car Wash there so that explains the random (3) Trains that get sent to the Bronx Every Now and then.

So with that in mind, I am in favor of a full rebuild of the facility, but with Livonia being the ONLY IRT Maintenance Facility in Brooklyn, I wonder how that would affect capacity in Brooklyn on top of MDBF's for Rolling Stock that have to travel down there anyways. The idea of a New Yard/Maintenance Facility for the IRT would be nice but is heavily dependent on a Utica or Nostrand Extension IMO.

I also find it interesting how (MTA) has been aware of Livonia's Problems for years, I'm guessing it took them some time to come up with a comprehensive plan to address its issues?

1 hour ago, LGA Link N Train said:

So I'm thinking about Livonia Yard and IRT Capacity in Brooklyn.

- The Facility itself is outdated since it can't house cranes nor does it have enough space to maintain the HVAC units on the 142's. Found out from a buddy of mine a while ago that you'd have to sit on a bucket or Squat to perform any maintence on the 62's in Livonia. (Never been to Livonia nor am I a part of Car Equipment so IDK how true that statement is).

- I remember reading from the 20 YN Report that a bunch of makeshift Office Space, Wash Rooms and Locker Rooms exist and only 1 Boiler to heat the place up. 

- There's no Car Wash there so that explains the random (3) Trains that get sent to the Bronx Every Now and then.

So with that in mind, I am in favor of a full rebuild of the facility, but with Livonia being the ONLY IRT Maintenance Facility in Brooklyn, I wonder how that would affect capacity in Brooklyn on top of MDBF's for Rolling Stock that have to travel down there anyways. The idea of a New Yard/Maintenance Facility for the IRT would be nice but is heavily dependent on a Utica or Nostrand Extension IMO.

I also find it interesting how (MTA) has been aware of Livonia's Problems for years, I'm guessing it took them some time to come up with a comprehensive plan to address its issues?

Does this explain why the R142A’s on the (4) are dirty? They don’t have a car wash in their yard, they could just head to westchester yard once in a while 

1 hour ago, Chris89292 said:

Does this explain why the R142A’s on the (4) are dirty? They don’t have a car wash in their yard, they could just head to westchester yard once in a while 

Yes. 239th Street Yard and Westchester Yard are the only two facilities in the entire IRT A Division that has a car wash. Grand Concourse Yard despite not being part of the IRT stores some (4) trains but are not washed or housed there.

55 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

Yes. 239th Street Yard and Westchester Yard are the only two facilities in the entire IRT A Division that has a car wash. Grand Concourse Yard despite not being part of the IRT stores some (4) trains but are not washed or housed there.

Corona yard also has a car wash

9 hours ago, Vulturious said:

886D4BBB-43B6-4AD4-AD1E-732EF6681934.jpg

Credit to original photographer.
Adapted from tracking server by BentheMiner: R32 3389, now renamed LT001, has received cosmetic and functional changes as a laser train for the Staten Island Railway.

It’s seems like they might’ve changed the MTA logo from NYCT to Staten island  railway 

Maybe someone can help me out with this question. I am reading about a G.O. on the (5) this evening and it gives approximate times for the last departure from certain stops. Unless my eyes are missing something it states that the last northbound departure from Bowling Green is at 9:10 pm and 9:35 pm from Grand Central. How does it take 25 minutes to travel between these two stations ? Am I missing something here ? It used to take me about 25 minutes to go from Bowling Green to 138th - GC at that time of the evening. Bowling Green to Grand Central was a 12 minute trip on the schedule. Maybe someone has some insight into what’s going on here ? Carry on.

On 10/15/2023 at 3:12 PM, RandomRider0101 said:

Is there another barn/shop in the system besides Concourse that's small to the point where they can only maintain one car type at a time? I'm mainly curious about Livonia .

207- (C) R179s

All the R46’s get serviced at Pitkin. 

240th (1) R62A’s

Livonia (3)(S) (42nd street) R62/R62A’s

Westchester (6) R62A’s

Jerome (4) R142/R142A’s

Corona (7) R188’s

238th street (2) R142’s 

E.180th  (5) R142’s

14 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Maybe someone can help me out with this question. I am reading about a G.O. on the (5) this evening and it gives approximate times for the last departure from certain stops. Unless my eyes are missing something it states that the last northbound departure from Bowling Green is at 9:10 pm and 9:35 pm from Grand Central. How does it take 25 minutes to travel between these two stations ? Am I missing something here ? It used to take me about 25 minutes to go from Bowling Green to 138th - GC at that time of the evening. Bowling Green to Grand Central was a 12 minute trip on the schedule. Maybe someone has some insight into what’s going on here ? Carry on.

They probably simply baked in some extra time to the schedule.