SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

In R110A and R110B news:

According to this post on Subchat : http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=1263521

The R110B cars 3001-3003 are currently in the shop, as they've been chosen to be used by the NYPD at Floyd Bennett Field. They're replacing the R33ML Redbird 9156-57 that used to be there and are now gone (no idea if this will also replace the R32GE pair 3594-95 there, that's for anyone else to find out).

Also in that same thread, regarding the R110A 8006-8010 that was sent recently to 207 Street Yard, it seems only the B-cars (8007, 8008, 8009) will go through the conversion to pump cars at this time. What plans are for 8006 and 8010 are unknown at this time.

Post about the R110A here: http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=1263549

Edited by M. Friday 1986

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My (6) train has been heavily delayed for a few days in a row now (not just today's weather), with a yesterday a 12 and today a 9 minute headway in the heart of the morning rush. What drives me nuts is that as a result another (6) always runs a minute behind my usual train, but the dispatcher never sends the first train express. It'd be a no brainer given the long headway ahead and the short one below, but over the past year Lex supervisors have cut down on runs and skips and so delays like this are more common.

My (6) train has been heavily delayed for a few days in a row now (not just today's weather), with a yesterday a 12 and today a 9 minute headway in the heart of the morning rush. What drives me nuts is that as a result another (6) always runs a minute behind my usual train, but the dispatcher never sends the first train express. It'd be a no brainer given the long headway ahead and the short one below, but over the past year Lex supervisors have cut down on runs and skips and so delays like this are more common.

I thought I was the only one. Last weekend heading uptown, I noticed the T/D were sending the (4) through the express and local tracks simultaneously. The (4) I was on stalled in the curve into Grand Central and sat there for over 15 minutes before the T/O was able to proceed to move into the station. It stalled again before 59th Street even. Lets say that from Union Square/14th Street it took me almost an hour just to get into 125th Street.

I wasn't clear on what the reason for that delay was.

I thought I was the only one. Last weekend heading uptown, I noticed the T/D were sending the (4) through the express and local tracks simultaneously. The (4) I was on stalled in the curve into Grand Central and sat there for over 15 minutes before the T/O was able to proceed to move into the station. It stalled again before 59th Street even. Lets say that from Union Square/14th Street it took me almost an hour just to get into 125th Street.

I wasn't clear on what the reason for that delay was.

Around 5pm there was an investigation at 59th,all were supposed to go local till 125,seems some didn't get the message...

Around 5pm there was an investigation at 59th,all were supposed to go local till 125,seems some didn't get the message...

I was at 14th Street where the noize level was way above 90 decibels when I boarded the train, so I could not make out the T/Ds announcements. But now that I know, that makes sense as the investigation was at 59th Street on the express platforms.

So i gotta do a morning shift at work today and i gotta take that every unreliable (4) train. We get to 167 St then the C/R said the train is skipping 170 then going to Mt. Eden Av. Get to Mt. Eden Av and he says that we skipping 176 St and going straight to Burnside Av. Finally get to Burnside and he says the next stop is Bedford Pk Blvd (my stop).

Just another day on the (4), usually whenever i work in the mornings, I usually get the morning Burnside Av short turn

So i gotta do a morning shift at work today and i gotta take that every unreliable (4) train. We get to 167 St then the C/R said the train is skipping 170 then going to Mt. Eden Av. Get to Mt. Eden Av and he says that we skipping 176 St and going straight to Burnside Av. Finally get to Burnside and he says the next stop is Bedford Pk Blvd (my stop).

Just another day on the (4), usually whenever i work in the mornings, I usually get the morning Burnside Av short turn

The major problem I believe is that 149th Street-Grand Concourse junction. The way it is configured we have several IRT lines being sent to different feeder lines or sent to trunk lines with only 2 tracks to deal with LL only to merge with the upper level, from the underwater tubes connecting uptown with the Bronx. Serious congestion point comparable to the Dekalb interlocking.

If the MTA survives as a public benefits corporation long enough, they can take advantage of the planned to be built SAS 116 Street spur to construct a new Bronx line and send the (T) to the WPR or Dyre Avenue using existing post Dual Contracts El construction, if not by building a new 3rd Ave subway altogether according to past proposals. That will solve the current severe problems seen especially on the WPR.

Many times heading downtown, AM rush when living in the Bronx, the (4) will stall for ten minutes as the (5) before it merges into the Lex Express tracks. A necessary evil I suppose.

Yea the R26,28/29 pairs will be getting work done to them, after R36WF 9586/7 is done, btw they will be redbirds still

Yup, I was told the same as well. R26, R28, R29, R36ML, and R36WF will remain as Redbirds and will be included into the museum collection with the 8 R33ML TOMC cars.

EDIT: I also read there's interest in making a train of R32/38/40/40M/42s as well.

Edited by M. Friday 1986

Yup, I was told the same as well. R26, R28, R29, R36ML, and R36WF will remain as Redbirds and will be included into the museum collection with the 8 R33ML TOMC cars.

EDIT: I also read there's interest in making a train of R32/38/40/40M/42s as well.

That's the news floating around on the net and from what people has personally told me. The train of 'silver colors'.

I hope that rumor is true, because I would love to see the R40 Slants do a fan trip.

I hope the same. Is it possible to split one of the Slant sets up so one is at each end? If they were still attatched and were at one end people would fall while trying to get through cars. It would be a problem no matter where the slant cars are in the set.

I don't the R40 can operate without it's other car.

Any car R21 (or whatever class started the married pairs) to R42 needs its mate to run since one car holds certain things (batteries, etc.) and the other car holds the other things (compressors, etc). It is possible for a slant to be mated with something else as long as the other car has what the other needs to run; I mean look at the R40/42 set.

The major problem I believe is that 149th Street-Grand Concourse junction. The way it is configured we have several IRT lines being sent to different feeder lines or sent to trunk lines with only 2 tracks to deal with LL only to merge with the upper level, from the underwater tubes connecting uptown with the Bronx. Serious congestion point comparable to the Dekalb interlocking.

If the MTA survives as a public benefits corporation long enough, they can take advantage of the planned to be built SAS 116 Street spur to construct a new Bronx line and send the (T) to the WPR or Dyre Avenue using existing post Dual Contracts El construction, if not by building a new 3rd Ave subway altogether according to past proposals. That will solve the current severe problems seen especially on the WPR.

Agreed, in my opinion, the MTA should focus more money on these old slow junctions, rather than CBTC. Much more needed.

I think City Hall (R) should have a transfer to WTC and Fulton Center instead of Cortland st due to the proximity to Park Pl and Chambers St. Bowling Green should have a transfer to Whitehall-South Ferry, so (R) passengers can stay on the R until Whitehall where they can transfer to the (4) or (5) and back to the R. Also, (1) passengers won't have to transfer to the (2) or (3) they can transfer to the 4 or 5.Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Harry, can you make it visible for the time for the last post on the stickeys on Tapatalk,ThanksSent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

But the (R) already has transfers to the (4)(5) at 59th/Lex and Union Square. Also, the (2)(3) transfer at 42nd. Plus, passengers can take the (N) to Atlantic/Pacific, 36th or 59th if they want an (R) local stop. Passengers who want service to DeKalb can just take the (Q).

Edited by RollOverMyHead