SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I overheard an MTA employee say the vintage train won't run next Sunday due to track work. Anyone can confirm this?

Next weekend, 53rd Street will be shut down in both directions for construction. E-trains will run via the F-line between 21 St and W 4 St.

You know I will have to write a book on this: Big improvement on the (R) , and that's an understatement. It's a breath of fresh air to see the (R) running so well since the split. I expected disaster but instead was pleasantly surprised by the radical jump in performance. I never find myself waiting more than five minutes on the weekdays on the Brooklyn side from the Lex or IND, and not too bad at all at the headways on the weekends running via the bridge to Manhattan. No complaints despite minor inconveniences which was unavoidable due to the urgent Montague St tunnel work from that armageddon like storm.

I haven't seen too many delays on the (R) weekday or weekends really that were major really.

The weekday Brooklyn (R) portion is all by itself, with nothing in its way and that's a good thing.

However though, the regular full (R) has to share tracks with three other lines along its run during weekdays. On weekends though, it wasn't that bad since its only just the (N) in the way. And that was also another good thing.

During weekdays, the 60th Street tube has 24 tph (15 trains from Astoria and 9 trains from Queens Boulevard) between 8 and 9 a.m. and reverse between 6 and 7 p.m. (15 trains to Astoria and 9 trains from Queens Boulevard). Aside from that, the 60th Street tube has 18 tph (12 trains to/from Astoria and 6 trains to/from Queens Boulevard). And on weekends, its 12 tph (6 (N) trains and 6 (R) trains).

I guess the current tph during the peak hour on the said tube isn't as bad as I used to make it out to be months ago. Just 2 minutes between each train there.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

You know I will have to write a book on this: Big improvement on the (R) , and that's an understatement. It's a breath of fresh air to see the (R) running so well since the split. I expected disaster but instead was pleasantly surprised by the radical jump in performance. I never find myself waiting more than five minutes on the weekdays on the Brooklyn side from the Lex or IND, and not too bad at all at the headways on the weekends running via the bridge to Manhattan. No complaints despite minor inconveniences which was unavoidable due to the urgent Montague St tunnel work from that armageddon like storm.

I haven't seen too many delays on the (R) weekday or weekends really that were major really.

I'm sorry but I personally believe that the 160's have been the difference....

The weekday Brooklyn (R) portion is all by itself, with nothing in its way and that's a good thing.

However though, the regular full (R) has to share tracks with three other lines along its run during weekdays. On weekends though, it wasn't that bad since its only just the (N) in the way. And that was also another good thing.

During weekdays, the 60th Street tube has 24 tph (15 trains from Astoria and 9 trains from Queens Boulevard) between 8 and 9 a.m. and reverse between 6 and 7 p.m. (15 trains to Astoria and 9 trains from Queens Boulevard). Aside from that, the 60th Street tube has 18 tph (12 trains to/from Astoria and 6 trains to/from Queens Boulevard). And on weekends, its 12 tph (6 (N) trains and 6 (R) trains).

I guess the current tph during the peak hour on the said tube isn't as bad as I used to make it out to be months ago. Just 2 minutes between each train there.

Why were the (N)'s running on the local track at 59th street (Brooklyn) this weekend? 

I'm sorry but I personally believe that the 160's have been the difference....

Why were the (N)'s running on the local track at 59th street (Brooklyn) this weekend?

Well its more the fact that MTA NYC Transit has made a commitment to make this Sandy Fix and Recover project work by seeing to it that delays can be mitigated as much as possible. No delays and reduced headways. The R46's are in good working order with a good record on the MDBF's along with the R160's so all this combined makes for a good short term service with the (R) .

Why were the (N) 's running local over the weekend (59th to 36th)? Don't know because there wasn't a scheduled GO calling for it this weekend and I was commuting on the (D) to get out of Brooklyn, Saturday and Sunday up until last night. I did notice unplanned service changes as well. Last night as I was coming home they sent my (N) I was on via the West End. Weird.....

Edited by realizm

If you're talking about Sunday specifically, there were track issues at 36 St/4v so dispatch may have decided to run the trains on the local tracks to avoid the problem.

Yesterday the conductor of my R46 (F) train said the announcements for Roosevelt Av as E as in Eric, M as in Mary, R as in Romeo.He also said at other stations, whether the transfer was across the platform, upstairs or downstairs.Using Tapatalk

e6y6a2yh.jpgThis is where the former 180 St-Bronx Pk spur wase3y2e4eg.jpgThis is a provision for a Linwood St extension of the IRT New Lots Avenue LineUsing Tapatalk

If you're talking about Sunday specifically, there were track issues at 36 St/4v so dispatch may have decided to run the trains on the local tracks to avoid the problem.

Yes, Sunday in particular... I didn't go north of 59th street so I wasn't sure what the deal was.

Yes this did happen before on the 4th Ave Line. Many, many times. Like every other day. Listen to him.

Yes, I know it's happened before.  The (D) also runs via the Sea Beach Line from time to time and comes in on the local tracks.  I was just curious about Sunday since I didn't see or hear of any track work going on and had seen an (N) running normal earlier in the day.

You mean PS 247, then yes...3005 been there for ages
The former PS 248, actually.

Its also the NYCT learning center
It's ONLY the NYCT learning center - it hasn't been a public school since NYCT took it over.

Its a safety issue.
In particular, the handles were removed so that vandals can't trap riders inside or, worse yet, outside the car by tying the two handles together.

So I hear rumors exist on an R32 (G) train. I can't believe that people are out looking for it tonight. My bet is that they'll go crazy and pull their hair in frustration. But it is the holiday, so they might luck out with an R134, if they've been good that is, lmao.