SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

I mean, technically you can get from any station to any station, albeit with wonky moves often required, but still from a very literal perspective the answer is 461*461... 212,521. 

I realize that's not the question you're asking, but it's hard to get a real number, because the question is sort of "How many lines are possible starting and ending at something that mostly resembles a terminal, without doing a reverse move, without going between A and B division" I think the answer would be surprisingly a lot. 

You can't use that equation because he wants track connection and not physical connections. Even though it's theoretically possible because there are various points where IRT can connect to BMT/IND, I'm sure he wants the realistic routes.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with a question like that is there are so many variables to deal with. Where will these lines run? Specifically, where are the termini? That plays an important part as to how often trains can run (which is another question), especially when the terminus of one line is a through-station for another. Also to be included is when these lines would operate. Would they run all day or just for one part of the day? You really can't answer the question of how many lines can be run without dealing with or eliminating some of these factors.

No, I took that fact into account. The only thing I didn't factor in are the IRT track connections to BMT/IND connections. I figure his question was based on current rolling stocks and track configurations.

My initial experiment was with the Q and I used most of the mid-way stations as terminals as well, such as 57th and Brighton Beach.

I finally caught an R62A (6) train!

Also caught one of the few R160s installed with the FIND at Bergen St saying Church Ave bound G trains, usually it just says G.

I went to the SAS Info center, it was really interesting.

My abba, dad in Hebrew, told me a few days ago that on an R160 (F) he saw weird stantion poles. They started regularly from the top, then they curved out and branched into two poles, then they merged together and it was then regular to the floor.

Random Questions:

What is the length of the bottom of the front door on the R32s?

What is on the left side of the cab for R160s?

Do you guys know any possible way to make a RFW for newer cars and so the conductor/train driver has enough space?

Sorry for bombarding you with tons of info.

Happy new year!

Using Tapatalk

I finally caught an R62A (6) train!

Also caught one of the few R160s installed with the FIND at Bergen St saying Church Ave bound G trains, usually it just says G.

I went to the SAS Info center, it was really interesting.

My abba, dad in Hebrew, told me a few days ago that on an R160 (F) he saw weird stantion poles. They started regularly from the top, then they curved out and branched into two poles, then they merged together and it was then regular to the floor.

Random Questions:

What is the length of the bottom of the front door on the R32s?

What is on the left side of the cab for R160s?

Do you guys know any possible way to make a RFW for newer cars and so the conductor/train driver has enough space?

Sorry for bombarding you with tons of info.

Happy new year!

Using Tapatalk

I've only seen a few R160's with that FIND display.

Where is the SAS info center?

There's 10 R160 cars that have that. They are the highest numbered A-2 cars.

Yes: Make the cab bigger by extending it back into the car, like on the M4's on the Market-Frankford line in SEPTA.

I'm very curious as to why the (MTA) gave the (J) r160's over the (A) or (C)

Well for the (A), there was power issues out in the Rockaways at the time the R160s were going into service. It was a problem having a number of trains of R160s running out there, but they've since handled that issue. I don't know the full details of that and I hope someone can fill you in with more information. The (J) got R160s for obvious reasons.

I'm glad when the (V) got cut and that the R44s were retiring, there were enough R46s to cover the entire (A) fleet. With the 224 R32s and 48 R42s still running, thank goodness the B Division doesn't have a car shortage. Otherwise, the (C) would have been cut entirely and (A) riders would have to deal with longer travel times and sever overcrowding. I'm happy with the R46s being on the (A) and the R32s being on its shorten version/Manhattan-Brooklyn local counterpart. Just my thoughts.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

I'm glad when the (V) got cut and that the R44s were retiring, there were enough R46s to cover the entire (A) fleet. With the 224 R32s and 48 R42s still running, thank goodness the B Division doesn't have a car shortage. Otherwise, the (C) would have been cut entirely and (A) riders would have to deal with longer travel times and sever overcrowding. I'm happy with the R46s being on the (A) and the R32s being on its shorten version/Manhattan-Brooklyn local counterpart. Just my thoughts.

Really now? A line would never be cut over a car shortage.

I've only seen a few R160's with that FIND display.

Where is the SAS info center?

There's 10 R160 cars that have that. They are the highest numbered A-2 cars.

Yes: Make the cab bigger by extending it back into the car, like on the M4's on the Market-Frankford line in SEPTA.http://new.mta.info/news/2013/07/25/mta-opens-second-avenue-subway-community-information-center

Really now? A line would never be cut over a car shortage.

And you're 100% wrong, sir. Also, I said the (C), meaning the (A) would run local entirely (which goes against ridership demands). If those R32s were retired without any replacement, then what other cars will replace them? Last I checked, there was N-O-N-E. So what does that clearly tell you?

Edited by RollOverMyHead

And you're 100% wrong, sir. Also, I said the (C), meaning the (A) would run local entirely (which goes against ridership demands). If those R32s were retired without any replacement, then what other cars will replace them? Last I checked, there was N-O-N-E. So what does that clearly tell you?

If I explicitly meant the "A line" as you see it I would have explicitly typed "the (A) ".

And if the R32's were retired the damn R44's would have stayed. They would have ultimately been forced to pick the lesser of two evils, and by that I mean car classes.

The MTA may do a lot of stupid shit, but they usually manage to come through with having an actual fleet to provide service. Cutting the (C) outright would have been the biggest f**k up of 2010 and even I could never even fathom that.

If I explicitly meant the "A line" as you see it I would have explicitly typed "the (A) ".

And if the R32's were retired the damn R44's would have stayed. They would have ultimately been forced to pick the lesser of two evils, and by that I mean car classes.

The MTA may do a lot of stupid shit, but they usually manage to come through with having an actual fleet to provide service. Cutting the (C) outright would have been the biggest f**k up of 2010 and even I could never even fathom that.

You're right. Even if by some stroke of extremely bad luck and the 32s were retired before the 44 issues cropped up, they would not cut an important secondary line like the C. The merger of the M and V may not have happened and a few lines would've seen reductions in service. Of course, the 179 order would've been rushed up a bit and whatever 44s that were in good enough condition to be in service would remain active.

OKAY. In other news Plan 4 will be in effect tomorrow morning

Forgot about that. Major snowstorm plowing through with an expected 12 inches of snowfall with temperatures falling into the single digits. Its said to be poised to be one of the worst snowstorms since 2009! Its going to be interesting to see how the MTA handles this one.

Edited by realizm