SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

I didn't know that this was a serious issue to you.

Anyhow I'm inclined to agree with your stance on invasive ads, and ads in general on transit vehicles. They're there to simply make  quick buck as the annual earning don't amount to a grand figure and the end scheme of things.

As for my comment on the Victoria's Secret ad, that stemmed from a convo where I said that I'd rather look at some women over a car, in reference to the Jaguar ad out now.

Public transit is meant to serve the public, so public input on various issues should be taken into consideration.

Right on!

Yeah I mean whatever screw it, it is what it is, but those are my thoughts. Commercialized psuedo-vandalizm to me but to some its legal advertising all hail the the executive committee they are the holy prophets of transit,  best way to put it. Man if I was president of the MTA.....

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean thats how I feel about fleet types. If it was an R32, Im on it. If a R68, no probs I'm on it, wrap ads or not. Shoot if a work train rolls up and I am desperate enough to get to somewhere on time I'm on it. (never railfanned one anyway) Its silly for me to skip trains just because. I gotta get where I have to go. 

But yeah wrap ads suck.

My view on ads is as follows: I don't mind the concept per se, because it does bring in revenue for the transit agencies, but for the love of f**k PLEASE make them bearable to look at. Too many ad wraps around here are just massive eyesores... I can think of maybe 2 in all of North America that didn't look like someone vomited all over the damn vehicle.

Let's compare streetcar wraps in Toronto, and in Bratislava. The Toronto ones look like absolute p!ss, while the Bratislava ones look visually pleasing. The garish colours and the lazy looks of the Toronto advertisements are what really turn me off. And frankly, no amount of hot women can make up for the fact that a lot of these ads look like garbage, plain and simple.

TorontoTransitCommission014_zps61286c47.

ashley_madison_a_378621gm-a.jpg

8570032948_63c225ffe9_o.jpg

7737-7738-vo-vozovni-Jurajov-dvor.jpg

7953-7954-na-Krcacoch.jpg

7725-7726-na-linke-X9.jpg

Then again, maybe good looking ads are a thing of the past... this hideous, HORRIBLE excuse for an ad appeared on a Bratislava car in May 2012 and was updated this year.

7797-7798.jpg

Edited by ttcsubwayfan

I think these ads won't make a good turnover for the companies involved to keep them going.

A few disadvantages:

The ad is not always facing a target demographic due to possible fleet swaps, reroutes and general differences between parts of the city. (Jaguar ads on a subway?? that has to have such a minimal impact)

The ads are not always outside so exposure is limited.

Additional time out of service for painting (or stickering).

They've been working well enough to be used on the 42nd Street shuttle for years and well enough to expand onto trains on the 6 and 7 lines occasionally. I think it speaks well for its continued existence. I do see this as a beginning of a trend that sees more trains wrapped like this. On the subject of the train being out of service to be wrapped, I believe it's done when the train is out of service for maintenance anyway so it's not sitting idle for that much longer. I could be wrong though.

I see the (S) and the (7) as different however, the Shuttle is in the tourist district so you can have a wide influence by getting them while their wallet is open or they might go home with the idea in their head. The (7) is mostly outdoors and travels through a tourist vein so it has some advantages. The same could be said of the (F) on 6th ave, but it's the 'off-season' for tourists, most people will be Snowbirding or avoiding the NE for winter.

I'm not against giving it a shot, I just can't see how the companies justify buying the ads.

http://www.subchat.com/readflat.asp?Id=1269853

R33 set from Floyd Bennett Field is being sent up to 207 St for scrapping.

The old scrapping contract is over, so get ready to say good bye to more redbirds and old work equipment. I hope they do not make the same foolish mistake with scrapping museum exuipment (e.g R6-2 Pullman Standard #1208)

I know Mysterious Friday 1986 will be on it!

Kudos to Queens Surface 295 for the excellent catch!

http://www.subchat.com/readflat.asp?Id=126990011981426743_e3afa53252_c.jpg

11981521914_ee47f371d4_c.jpg

11981950016_1de3a0e87e_c.jpg

Passed by Corona yesterday... two sets of R188s: one in the barn, one outside (and one in service). Also noticed a pair of redbirds, which surprised me. Anybody know what set those two are?

I would assume they're there for scrap considering the recent circumstances, but I'm not sure.

I'm sure everyone is going to come and attack me now for even suggesting more Redbirds are being scrapped.

I would assume they're there for scrap considering the recent circumstances, but I'm not sure.

I'm sure everyone is going to come and attack me now for even suggesting more Redbirds are being scrapped.

Scrap? That'd be 207, not Corona. They generally *leave* Corona to go to scrap.