SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The R160's cannot run on the (A) because of the problems concerning the IND Rockaways and electrical power supplied by LIPA. Originally it was Jamaica that was to receive the dying SMEEs and the car assignments started to take effect with SMEEs being reassigned to the (E) and (F) . That changed because of the premature retirement of the R44s. Many of the R160's ended up in Jamaica as a change of plans. The rest is history.

Thanks for the clarification. Certainly makes more sense, as Jamaica already had a bunch of dying SMEEs on the and those at Pitkin were to be retired.

We don't even know who is building the 211s, let alone how they are gonna look. It's way too early to tell where they are going...

Very true. Before the R142/As came in, I remember people speculating that the (3) would be all-NTT. They got thrown on the (4) instead. We thought we knew where the R160s were going until the R44s died in the middle of delivery. Personally, I think that the (MTA) should take a cue from London and keep a fleet on one line for its entire life and replace everything on that line at once. I certainly don't want the R68s off of the (D). They've been there for 25 years and it would be neat to see them live every day in New York at Concourse. It's one of the few lines operating with a single type of rolling stock at all times. Excluding the shuttles, only the (C)(M)(2)(3)(5) share that trait. I certainly agree that it would be stupid to move something to Pitkin for another new fleet.

As the saying goes, best to wait and see. It was only very recently Bombardier was awarded the R179 contract with the first test unit to be delivered in December of this year. We have no information as of yet as to where the R179's will actually end up, only what units they will replace, technically. As for the R211's as of now its only a concept on paper.

You fools and the damn 211's.

The damn 179's aren't here yet as it is.

Get your ass back in the bus subforums and sniff on airplane glue as you type there.

Edited by realizm

Get your ass back in the bus subforums and sniff on airplane glue as you type there.

Nah, I'm not a fan of inhalants. Screwed around with that industrial epoxy stuff when I was in Jr. high however.

Either way I can take my CNG foaming self wherever and whenever I please.

Where are you getting your info from? Outside of the BMT eastern division the (C) is the only line that runs trains of 8 car units therefore that's where the majority of the 179's will go along with the (J) to bump of those r42's and the 5 car sets going on the (Q) and (T) . Why would the (MTA) go through the hassle of keeping Ntt's off the (A) to put them on the (B) and (D) when the (B) isn't even a full time route and the r68's are fine?

Basically! And Someone told me the 179's were gonna go to the (A)(C) & (J) then the (T) since it's GONNA NEED A FLEET TO RUN. HELLO! And I know there's not enough R160's to just throw on the (T).

The power problem out there was that LIPA/now PSE&G wasn't giving out enough juice for the 160s. It's apparently fixed and has been for a while.

Yeah the R160s problems in the Rockaways have been fixed since 2010 or 2011 actually.

Whoops! Misunderstood XcelsiorBoii4888's question, thought he meant the Rockaway GO's, but yes after doing some research I realized the same thing, the situation regarding power issues has been fixed for the R160's where it pertains to the (A) .

As I said in a later post, the (C) will certainly get NTTs when the R179 order comes in. With the (A), I'm going with history. The R68s are fine, but the (A) and (C) haven't gotten new cars since the R46s, which mostly went to CI and Jamaica. Historically, the trend has been to send new cars to CI and Jamaica with the old cars being transferred to Pitkin and 207th. Did I say it was logical? No. How long did the (7) go without getting new cars? When the R142/As came in, they displaced R62As which were sent to Corona. Instead of giving the (A) R160s to replace its R44s, it got Jamaica's discarded R46s. In a logical world, the (A) would have a full fleet of R211s at the end of the decade, as every car currently on that line is being retired at that point. But, the (MTA) does not run logically.

Why are you treating an accident of history as if it were a formal policy?

Most of the 4 car R179's have to go to the C. The small number of 5 car R179's could in principle go to any line that runs 600 (or 300) foot trains, but my bet is on the A, so that the R179's only need to be maintained at two shops, East New York and 207th.

Looking further into the future, expect car assignments to be largely driven by CBTC needs. In particular, the R68's will probably end their lives on the last of the B Division lines to get CBTC (over any portion of the line) - presumably the N, Q, W, and G (and Franklin shuttle), since the IND is where the oldest wayside signals generally still remain.

Why are you treating an accident of history as if it were a formal policy?

Most of the 4 car R179's have to go to the C. The small number of 5 car R179's could in principle go to any line that runs 600 (or 300) foot trains, but my bet is on the A, so that the R179's only need to be maintained at two shops, East New York and 207th.

Looking further into the future, expect car assignments to be largely driven by CBTC needs. In particular, the R68's will probably end their lives on the last of the B Division lines to get CBTC (over any portion of the line) - presumably the N, Q, W, and G (and Franklin shuttle), since the IND is where the oldest wayside signals generally still remain.

It has already been established that the R160s not going to Pitkin was a fluke. Obviously, I made an incorrect assumption based on a series of coincidences. If I was the (MTA), everything not going to ENY would be on 8th Avenue. The R211s are too far off to know anything about them or where they will go. I even saw somewhere that they may be articulated trains like the Toronto Rocket (although I hope they'd still have smear-o-vision instead of the one-way mirror the Rockets have). Again, way too early to know anything. I apologize for my speculation. Where will the R68s spend their final days? Nobody knows.

Today's observations - 2/3/14

Passed by 207th Street Yard on the Deegan a little while ago. I observed what appeared to be R42 cars 4572-73 parked with the RPC Arnines. So I take it cars 100-484-1575 are back at the Transit Museum.

Also, a random thought: I saw that all the flat cars parked on the north side of the yard have been moved elsewhere, leaving the R12/14 cars there as well as the remaining R110B cars. Maybe new storage space for the preserved Redbirds and R40M at Concourse Yard? They would be heading there to 207th anyway. Just a though.

^Yeah, I know what you mean. The crowd is terrible esp. during rush hours because the R46 only have 32 doors per side in comparison to the 160, which has 40. I would rather have the R46s go to the (E), because of the fact that the (F) has to deal with large crowds along QBL, Culver and 6 Av while the (E) only has to deal with crowds on QBL and 8 Av. Unfortunately, its not going to happen.

As for the (F)/® swap after the tubes open, I don't have a definitive answer. Perhaps one of the motorman or TA employees here would know...

Edited by YankeesPwnMets

It has already been established that the R160s not going to Pitkin was a fluke. Obviously, I made an incorrect assumption based on a series of coincidences. If I was the (MTA), everything not going to ENY would be on 8th Avenue. The R211s are too far off to know anything about them or where they will go. I even saw somewhere that they may be articulated trains like the Toronto Rocket (although I hope they'd still have smear-o-vision instead of the one-way mirror the Rockets have). Again, way too early to know anything. I apologize for my speculation. Where will the R68s spend their final days? Nobody knows.

Well you may be correct on part of the speculations made: The R211's (Which according to the 20 Year assessment needs) may be deployed on the Queens Blvd Line once CBTC is complete in installation and installed. The cars (which will feature open gangways, a first) will have to be quiped with capabilities to switch from block signaling to CBTC on the fly.

Today's observations - 2/3/14

Passed by 207th Street Yard on the Deegan a little while ago. I observed what appeared to be R42 cars 4572-73 parked with the RPC Arnines. So I take it cars 100-484-1575 are back at the Transit Museum.

Also, a random thought: I saw that all the flat cars parked on the north side of the yard have been moved elsewhere, leaving the R12/14 cars there as well as the remaining R110B cars. Maybe new storage space for the preserved Redbirds and R40M at Concourse Yard? They would be heading there to 207th anyway. Just a though.

I'm wondering if the moves made was due to the inclement weather experienced yesterday? They really wanted those cars sent underground apparently, which is what I would do if I were yard superintendant for 207th.

R142A 7756-60 have the new door motors. Thought they were only doing the cars on the (6) only for the R188 conversion, but I guess I was wrong.

Side note: these traction motors are having the ultimate heart attack right now out here. Sounds like the train is confusing itself when it's slowing down because of this snow

R142A 7756-60 have the new door motors. Thought they were only doing the cars on the (6) only for the R188 conversion, but I guess I was wrong.

Side note: these traction motors are having the ultimate heart attack right now out here. Sounds like the train is confusing itself when it's slowing down because of this snow

I thought it was just me, i saw some videos and the way they were slowing down was not normal.

Are they ever going to get the Phase 2/3/4 funding commitments down? Is the MTA waiting for Phase 1 to be done first? Why didn't the MTA just start working on Phase 2 when they started Phase 1?

I think a part of the reason why it was and continues to be done this way is because they want to have something done in case funding falls through again. We don't need a repeat of the Second Avenue construction of the '70s where the TA tried to build the entire line in one fell swoop and we got very little to show for it. It's better to build it in relatively small sections to that at the end of the day, we can actually run some trains through the finished section and not have it sit idle for nearly half a century.