SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

The only thing the MTA is doing is working at Hoyt Street. They advised people to take the J to Broadway Junction to pick up the A train from there. No service is lost at Aqueduct. The MTA is aware of the Wood Memorial.

The out-of-towners who may not understand the NYC Transit System may get confused and give up. Does anyone really want that?

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The out-of-towners who may not understand the NYC Transit System may get confused and give up. Does anyone really want that?

There will ALWAYS be out-of-towners who don't understand the subway and will likely run the risk of getting lost. If we start canceling work because of the inconveniences, we will never get anything done. The best thing to do is direct people around the service disruptions as much as possible.

There will ALWAYS be out-of-towners who don't understand the subway and will likely run the risk of getting lost. If we start canceling work because of the inconveniences, we will never get anything done. The best thing to do is direct people around the service disruptions as much as possible.

Pushing it back one weekend or two hurts NO ONE.

@lupojohn:

Except, this particular service change has been going on for the past several weeks and months (dating back to the Fulton Street FASTRACK earlier this year if I'm not mistaken) and will continue for at least the next few weeks. The idea is to get whatever work that's going on over there finished in a timely fashion and not drag it out through the entire spring. It's bad enough that the MTA lost several nights and weekends of potential work time because of inclement weather.

And like I and several others have stated numerous times, they aren't shutting down the Rockaways stretch of the A-line. For those riders who have to take the train to the Aqueduct, there is still a viable alternative with the L-trains. It's not ideal, I get that, but can we please stop making this out to be more than it is?

Edited by Lance

Regarding the last two statements, some out-of-towners i've run into don't get it, no matter what. As I stated when I originally jumped into the conversation about this, to understand the importance of the Wood Memorial and how it needs to not be changed in any regards is to be a part of the racing community. For the sake of not wanting to argue any more, i'll leave it at that. Message me if you feel the need to be respond.

I don't know the specifics of how the MTA determines GO dates, but I'm pretty sure it's not arbitrary. I don't think you can simply say "oh well just move the GO to weeknights or the next weekend or the previous weekend" blah blah blah because there is probably meticulous planning that goes into GOs. Changing the GO could require the (MTA) to pay overtime for certain workers, take away off day for other workers, etc etc. Moving GO dates around probably requires a ton of logistics planning, rescheduling just one GO could create headaches for the MTA in terms of planning, and it could possibly be very expensive as well because some workers will be receiving overtime pay. Sometimes, alternates are not feasible and you're just going to have to continue with the original plan.

Regarding the last two statements, some out-of-towners i've run into don't get it, no matter what. As I stated when I originally jumped into the conversation about this, to understand the importance of the Wood Memorial and how it needs to not be changed in any regards is to be a part of the racing community. For the sake of not wanting to argue any more, i'll leave it at that. Message me if you feel the need to be respond.

You keep bringing up this Wood Memorial like it's the be all-end all of city events. In the grand scheme of things considering all of the events and parades and what-have-yous that occur in NYC, this is relatively small potatoes.

And I will once again ask this question because I can't seem to get a straight answer of anyone here: how many people are actually taking the train (specifically the A) to the Aqueduct? I get that some folks may hop on the train to get there, but it just seems like more people will either drive or take a cab there rather than deal with the meandering A trains (even on the best of days when nothing's wrong with the line).

After seeing how close Queensboro Plaza and Queens Plaza are to each other, I can understand why some have called for a free transfer.

I don't see a reason to do so, just change trains at one of the other stops instead. It seems like it would cost a lot to build, and there are many other transfer stations in the vicinity.

I don't see a reason to do so, just change trains at one of the other stops instead. It seems like it would cost a lot to build, and there are many other transfer stations in the vicinity.

I meant an OOS transfer like Lex and 63rd and Lex and 59th.

I meant an OOS transfer like Lex and 63rd and Lex and 59th.

Take the (R) to Lex and hop on an (N) or (Q) going the other way or vice versa. We're talking 5-10 minutes during the week. You'd spend more time hiking all the way up to the QBP platforms. A good 70+ vertical feet separates the IND platforms from the NB/EB IRT/BMT platform.

All but 3 stations on the Astoria line are within about 1/3 mile of the QBL. The (7) connects to the IND at 74th/Roosevelt. Going into Manhattan, the (N)(Q)(7) intersect each line stopping at Queens Plaza with a provided transfer point. Any transfer would have to be ADA compliant. If they're ADAifying QBP, a transfer wouldn't cost that much more, but doing it for the sole purpose of providing a transfer would be wasteful. Other places need transfers and upgrades more than there.

Take the (R) to Lex and hop on an (N) or (Q) going the other way or vice versa. We're talking 5-10 minutes during the week. You'd spend more time hiking all the way up to the QBP platforms. A good 70+ vertical feet separates the IND platforms from the NB/EB IRT/BMT platform.

All but 3 stations on the Astoria line are within about 1/3 mile of the QBL. The (7) connects to the IND at 74th/Roosevelt. Going into Manhattan, the (N)(Q)(7) intersect each line stopping at Queens Plaza with a provided transfer point. Any transfer would have to be ADA compliant. If they're ADAifying QBP, a transfer wouldn't cost that much more, but doing it for the sole purpose of providing a transfer would be wasteful. Other places need transfers and upgrades more than there.

And those places are?

And those places are?

Anything to connect the (3)(L) at Junius/Livonia, as getting between the two requires a double fare, a long trek into Manhattan, or transfers to the (C) and Franklin (S) .

ADA upgrades to:

Bronx

149th/GC

Something on Concourse

Something on Dyre

Brooklyn

4th/9th

Botanic Garden / Franklin

Broadway Junction

Metropolitan/Lorimer

Manhattan

6th/14th F L M 1 2 3

6th/42nd B D F M 7

7th/57th

81st B C (museum station)

86th 4 5 6 (proximity to museums)

Canal J N Q R Z 6

Lex/59th

Queens

Astoria Blvd

Forest Hills

Hunters Point (LIRR)

Willets Point (events)

Basically, every transfer point that isn't cross-platform and anything serving a major tourist attraction.