SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

I use the X28 to get off on 86 St, then I walk to 5 Av

Then take the X17... It makes the drop-off stop at 86th & Gatling on weekends on its way to Staten Island.  The pick-up is at 86th & Dahlgren.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/xpress/x017cur.pdf

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can R160s operate on the (B)(G)?

They could! Just that the (B)(G) is not meant to run R160's along its route, just R68(A), same follows along with the (A) / (C) (R46) and (D) (R68) (the (A) can't due to weight problems)

------------------------------------------------------------------

On the other hand, the IRT

(1)- Not meant to run R142/A

(2)- Not meant to run R142A Sets

(3)- Not Meant to run R142/A

(4)- Runs 142/ some 142A's

(5)- R142/ Not meant for R142A Sets

(6)- R142A/ Not Meant for R142 Sets

(7)- Testing failed for R142, but the R142A Test did work with some disadvantages. That's why the R188 are converted sets just meant for (7)<7>

(S)- Not meant for New Tech Trains, just R62

Edited by queenspapi

The (B) , and (D) don't run R160s because a few told me Concourse doesn't want to maintain the R160s.

As for the IRT, the (2) and (5) are out of the same yard, the (6) has its own fleet of R142As (not for long though). the (7) has its own fleet of R62As (not for long though) the (1) and (3) yards have R62s. And the (S) shares with the (3). So it's just based on what's assigned where and how much of each yard needs, and there haven't been problems for those fleets to switch around so it stayed like that.

The (G) ... idk why it doesn't run 5-car R160s.

The (B) , and (D) don't run R160s because a few told me Concourse doesn't want to maintain the R160s.

As for the IRT, the (2) and (5) are out of the same yard, the (6) has its own fleet of R142As (not for long though). the (7) has its own fleet of R62As (not for long though) the (1) and (3) yards have R62s. And the (S) shares with the (3). So it's just based on what's assigned where and how much of each yard needs, and there haven't been problems for those fleets to switch around so it stayed like that.

There's no reason to move stuff around if there isn't anything wrong. Concourse has been 100% R68 since they came in and there's no reason for that to change until they're retired. Think about it: The R160s were originally intended to go to routes that ran anything older than R44s. R160s didn't go to the (A)(C) because of power issues in the Rockaways. CI, Jamaica, and ENY had large fleets of cars to be retired. Before the NTTs came in, the (B)(E)(J)(L)(M)(Z) were mostly, if not entirely, cars older than the R44s. All but two currently have an all-NTT fleet. The (N)(R)(V)(W), while usually R46 or newer, ran a ton of older equipment. The (B) didn't get them because 1. Astoria needs them and 2. It's easier for Concourse to store only one or two types of rolling stock.

Random Observations and Notes: Late Rain Edition - 4/15/14

On my way home through my evening commute:

All eight R33ML TOMC cars are back at 207th Street Yard. They are parked on the track next to the main shop (where the Arnines are normally parked). It was said that R33WF car 9306 came up with these cars over the weekend. I assume this car is in the shop with R36WF pair 9586-87, in preparation for this Saturday.

Meanwhile at Concourse Yard, R40M car 4480 has a graffiti tag on the side of the car (facing the Jerome Avenue El), closest to the front of the car. No clue how long that tag's been there or if it's even recent.

Finally, here's a quick snapshot of this pair towards the back.
13884180463_61fc3f23b3_c.jpg

I was in your area Sunday via the (R). Caught a 160 set out of Times Square (X28 wasn't running :( ) got off at 86 St. Got some good bus pics (See MTA Transit photos & videos on Facebook) in Bay Ridge).

On my way back, I took the B16 and caught the (D) (should be the (B) in my opinion, hmph) at 55 St for a transfer at W 4th St to the (A). That's when I saw the (R) running down 6 Avenue across the Bridge and at Bway Laffayette. Then caught a R32 (C) at W 4 St running express to Port Authority. A weird day for travel certainly

Oh wow.

86th Street is an excellent location for some excellent pics on surface transit with the Verrazano Bridge in the background. Wished I met you there that day.

Alot of good restaurants in the area too, thats another good thing about Bay Ridge, kick ass Italian, Middleeastern, German and Noriegan restaurants there. I would suggest bars and pool halls too for anyone over 21. There's mad stuff to do in Bay Ridge and more I cant even mention here lol.

Edited by realizm

They could! Just that the (B)(G) is not meant to run R160's along its route, just R68(A), same follows along with the (A) / (C) (R46) and (D) (R68) (the (A) can't due to weight problems)

------------------------------------------------------------------

On the other hand, the IRT

(1)- Not meant to run R142/A

(2)- Not meant to run R142A Sets

(3)- Not Meant to run R142/A

(4)- Runs 142/ some 142A's

(5)- R142/ Not meant for R142A Sets

(6)- R142A/ Not Meant for R142 Sets

(7)- Testing failed for R142, but the R142A Test did work with some disadvantages. That's why the R188 are converted sets just meant for (7)<7>

(S)- Not meant for New Tech Trains, just R62

I've gotten an R142A on the (2) and (5) and an R142 on the (6) . Then again, those were all either specials or because of GO's.

Speaking of R142A (5) trains, since there is no (4) train next weekend there should be some (4) equipment on the (5) , which means you may see an R142A on the (5) in the Bronx.

The (S) has its own fleet of 20 R62As, completely different from the R62s that are on the (3).

The only thing they have in common is a yard

Oh wow.

86th Street is an excellent location for some excellent pics on surface transit with the Verrazano Bridge in the background. Wished I met you there that day.

86 St and 5th Av is good enough period. That corner is where I got my glasses at the lens store

Unless you send both the J and Z via Brighton, that can't be done without throwing off the skip-stop schedule. Sending the Q via Whitehall is an option, but I don't know how well it would be received. Then there are the merging issues at DeKalb since Q trains would have to switch over to the R tracks to run via the tunnel.

Unless you send both the J and Z via Brighton, that can't be done without throwing off the skip-stop schedule. Sending the Q via Whitehall is an option, but I don't know how well it would be received. Then there are the merging issues at DeKalb since Q trains would have to switch over to the R tracks to run via the tunnel.

Where would you fit J/Z Trains on Brighton.

The (Q) already has to contend with the (N).

You know I think the Brighton Line needs some kind of downtown service. Like if not the j/z extended to kings hwy via Brighton local like 4 (Q)'s an hour going via WhitehallSent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

That's what the transfer at Atlantic is for. You got the (2)(3)(4)(5) and (R) (which in itself has transfers to the (A)(C) that also go downtown).