SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

(Q) Brighton Express to Coney Island run time from Canal Street to Coney Island: less than 35 minutes.

This kind of service is sorely needed. I speak for anyone who has missed a (B) at Brighton Beach or ridden a (B) to Brighton Beach only to see a (Q) leave Sheepshead Bay (and then Brighton Beach) without making any connection. The express is supposed to save time, but it doesn't unless it takes the people traveling the furthest to the furthest station directly.

I'm confused here. Are you calling for more B express service on the Brighton or do you want the return of the Q-Diamond? I can tell you right now, you're likely to only get one of those things accomplished and it won't be the latter. I don't see Transit making the 24/7 Q the part-time Brighton Express (weekends and late-nights would obviously be local) while the 19/5 B becomes the Brighton Local.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was always meant to simply alleviate crowding without having to run more local service.

yup, rush hours for the most part you are probably better off sticking with the local. I always took the local as i'd eventually get a seat and wont have to be squished by the doors and standing the whole way if riding the express. The qb and lexington av express runs may save you some time, but with how slow the trains crawl, you may as well take the local and take on less stress on your way to point b.

yup, rush hours for the most part you are probably better off sticking with the local. I always took the local as i'd eventually get a seat and wont have to be squished by the doors and standing the whole way if riding the express. The qb and lexington av express runs may save you some time, but with how slow the trains crawl, you may as well take the local and take on less stress on your way to point b.

It's pretty irritating when the express is crawling or stopped between stations while a local or two zips by.

That's exactly what I do whenever I go to Downtown Brooklyn or Lower Manhattan during the busier times of the day, I can always get a seat on the (3) rather than being crushed onto the (4).

Heard today at work that effective April 31, the (B) and (N) are going to swap equipment - R160's on the (B) and R68A's on the (N) . This is due to the rollsign issues with the (B) changing terminals 3 times a day. R160's will also be used on the (D) on weekends as needed.

Great news! Thanks. April 31? I've marked my calendar.

This shows some stupidity from the MTA in my view, as we have this outage for this weekend:

http://web.mta.info/weekender/lineview.html?r=a

If it were up to me, I would do what I've noted in the past, in this case, re-route the (C) after West 4th to run via the (M) and then (J) to the Broadway Junction (J) station and terminate it there. 

Especially with Aqueduct having their biggest race of the spring, the Wood Memorial this Saturday (4/5), I would have done this to make for as easy as ride as possible for people going to Aqueduct for the Wood from Manhattan and if I were running NYRA (which is technically part of the state now), I would in fact have asked the (MTA) to do this specific routing to accommodate those making the trip to the Big A for the Wood so they only have a two-seat ride rather than a three-seat ride.

Edited by Wallyhorse

One small problem: work on the Jamaica elevated makes your proposal pretty much infeasible. Queens-bound J trains are running express between Marcy Av and Broadway-Eastern Pkwy all weekend (and continuing through most of the month). Sending the C to the Junction would only add to the delays on both the J and M lines. Besides, if 8th Avenue riders want to avoid the shuttle buses along Fulton Street, they can change over to the L trains at 14 St/8 Av or Broadway Junction.

Then what I would do is for this weekend is have the (C) replace the (J) for this weekend along the Broadway-Brooklyn line and have it run Jamaica Center-168.  It might confuse riders along the line, but this is more about minimizing the inconvenience for people traveling via the 8th Avenue line to Aqueduct for the Wood Memorial, especially given the notorious overcrowding on the (L)

The ideas never stop, do they? What part of it's not happening do you not understand? Transit isn't going to rearrange the system because some event is happening way out at the Aqueduct. Besides, what's gained from the C to Broadway Junction (excuse me, Jamaica Center) that isn't already accomplished with the L transfer I suggested above? It's still a three-legged transfer from 8th Avenue to North Conduit Av either way. It's just changed from A -> L -> A to A -> C -> A. And you're right, your idea would cause confusion. Unnecessary confusion with very little gains.

And by the way, for those keeping track, that's another sip.

Wally is going to put all of us in the hospital with alcohol poisoning. The (L) can and will handle the crowds. The (L) isn't as bad as the idiots on Buzzfeed make it seem. I expect they'll add trains to compensate for the lack of (A) service.

The ideas never stop, do they? What part of it's not happening do you not understand? Transit isn't going to rearrange the system because some event is happening way out at the Aqueduct. Besides, what's gained from the C to Broadway Junction (excuse me, Jamaica Center) that isn't already accomplished with the L transfer I suggested above? It's still a three-legged transfer from 8th Avenue to North Conduit Av either way. It's just changed from A -> L -> A to A -> C -> A. And you're right, your idea would cause confusion. Unnecessary confusion with very little gains.

And by the way, for those keeping track, that's another sip.

But I work today, I can't drink lol