SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So last evening I caught one of those extra expressy (F) rush hour lateness express trains. Kings Highway-bound train, and it stayed on the express tracks from Jay all the way to Kings; stopped at 7 Ave, Church, 18 Ave and ended at Kings. The foamers would've loved it.

So last evening I caught one of those extra expressy (F) rush hour lateness express trains. Kings Highway-bound train, and it stayed on the express tracks from Jay all the way to Kings; stopped at 7 Ave, Church, 18 Ave and ended at Kings. The foamers would've loved it.
That's the way it should be, continuing on to Coney of course...

Hey guys? Any ideas what's currently happening at 207th Street Yard today?

I just drove by 207th Street Yard along 10th Avenue a while ago and saw briefly some movement going on; the Arnines (381, 401, 1000, 1300, 1802) are parked right outside the shops. Saw some people in front if the shop...looked pretty busy in there.

I also saw car 103 by herself with the R30 storage pair (8481/8522) and I never noticed they painted the front end of the car in green while the rest of the car's in primer red still.

Also, R42 4572-73 were moved and hooked up to the R40 pair, 4280-81. The TOMC R33MLs were moved somewhere else I assume; didn't see em in front of the shop when I drove past.

Hey guys? Any ideas what's currently happening at 207th Street Yard today?

I just drove by 207th Street Yard along 10th Avenue a while ago and saw briefly some movement going on; the Arnines (381, 401, 1000, 1300, 1802) are parked right outside the shops. Saw some people in front if the shop...looked pretty busy in there.

I also saw car 103 by herself with the R30 storage pair (8481/8522) and I never noticed they painted the front end of the car in green while the rest of the car's in primer red still.

Also, R42 4572-73 were moved and hooked up to the R40 pair, 4280-81. The TOMC R33MLs were moved somewhere else I assume; didn't see em in front of the shop when I drove past.

The R42s are hooked up with the R40s because they're going to run as part of a fan trip to the Rockaways in August

On August 3rd, they're going to run post war cars to the Rockaways, instead of the R9s. Here is a link.

http://web.mta.info/mta/museum/programs.htm

That's an interesting turn of events.

I could see the R40, R42, and maybe even R16 6387 (it's been in the shop for a while now) in that mix. The R40M at Concourse Yard hasn't moved in years. Who knows if those might make it... Then there's the R38 pair at Pitkin that was restored in 2009, but hasn't been in operation in years as well.

Then you have the preserved R32 cars....

The R42s are hooked up with the R40s because they're going to run as part of a fan trip to the Rockaways in August

That's possible, actually. That, or maybe to shift cars around, who knows. The R40 pair's to be restored sometime this Summer.

That's an interesting turn of events.

I could see the R40, R42, and maybe even R16 6387 (it's been in the shop for a while now) in that mix. The R40M at Concourse Yard hasn't moved in years. Who knows if those might make it... Then there's the R38 pair at Pitkin that was restored in 2009, but hasn't been in operation in years as well.

Then you have the preserved R32 cars....

That's possible, actually. That, or maybe to shift cars around, who knows. The R40 pair's to be restored sometime this Summer.

Don't forget about the R30 and R11

[quote name='cl94' timestamp='1396669931' post='761324And those places are?Forest hills is getting Ada it was originally set for October 2013 then pushed to end of jan then end of march. I haven't been down there since before March 31 and my dad said it wasn't finished I don't know what's going on Anything to connect the (3)(L) at Junius/Livonia, as getting between the two requires a double fare, a long trek into Manhattan, or transfers to the (C) and Franklin (S) . ADA upgrades to: Bronx149th/GCSomething on ConcourseSomething on Dyre Brooklyn4th/9thBotanic Garden / FranklinBroadway JunctionMetropolitan/Lorimer Manhattan6th/14th F L M 1 2 36th/42nd B D F M 77th/57th81st B C (museum station)86th 4 5 6 (proximity to museums)Canal J N Q R Z 6Lex/59th QueensAstoria BlvdForest HillsHunters Point (LIRR)Willets Point (events) Basically, every transfer point that isn't cross-platform and anything serving a major tourist attraction.

Using Tapatalk

Fh is getting an elevator don't know why my post isn't visible the elevator should have opened by now but it didn'tUsing Tapatalk

That would be a dream come true I have been posting on subchat and hear about the same proposal via the Rockaways,BTW what day of the weekOn August 3rd, they're going to run post war cars to the Rockaways, instead of the R9s. Here is a link. http://web.mta.info/mta/museum/programs.htmThat's an interesting turn of events. I could see the R40, R42, and maybe even R16 6387 (it's been in the shop for a while now) in that mix. The R40M at Concourse Yard hasn't moved in years. Who knows if those might make it... Then there's the R38 pair at Pitkin that was restored in 2009, but hasn't been in operation in years as well. Then you have the preserved R32 cars.... The R42s are hooked up with the R40s because they're going to run as part of a fan trip to the Rockaways in August That's possible, actually. That, or maybe to shift cars around, who knows. The R40 pair's to be restored sometime this Summer.
Using Tapatalk

Never mind it's a Sunday I will be putting it on my calendarUsing Tapatalk

I'm really tired of my father always acting as though the express is one of the best things in the world. Ever since me and my family recently moved to the border of Crown Heights and Brownsville, he keeps telling me to continue using the Utica Avenue (3)(4) station everyday instead of Sutter-Rutland because Rutland Road is a "rookie area".

Oh please. I consider Sutter-Rutland as my home station from now on and I only pass through Rutland only twice a day anyway (when I walk to/from my apartment building). Plus, Sutter-Rutland is closer to me than Utica is. I do not often use the B46 bus anymore for this same reason. Another large reason is that Student MetroCards can only be swiped only three times a day. So I cannot take the train and bus while swiping my Student MetroCard four times a day when its now only three times a day. Plus, the B46 is one of the most very crowded buses during the busiest times of the day that I would expect. 

Instead, I walk to Sutter-Rutland (3), transfer to the BMT (S) at Franklin-Botanic, then finally the (A)(C) at Franklin-Fulton. While pretty much many people do rely on express, skip-stop or limited services to give them the fastest route from point A to B, I'm one of the fewer people who don't rush, as long as I get a seat and feel comfortable on a less crowded local. And as long as I have enough time before classes start. I'll continue to take whatever comes first and that's it, I'm keeping my seat.

I'm somewhat the same way. When I travel home, I usually go for the (C) a little more than the (A). Now depending on which option I choose, I still have to walk for a few minutes. The (C) is the better choice since it stops at Ralph Ave, all I need to do is walk up the block and I'm there in no time. Like you, I'm almost never in a rush.

On August 3rd, they're going to run post war cars to the Rockaways, instead of the R9s. Here is a link.

http://web.mta.info/mta/museum/programs.htm

Finally the slants are back! Train of silver colors, finally! Everyone knows the R40's are beasts, the traction motors when activated, actually makes the cars 'kick' and reach high speeds quickly. Its been a long time ever since I was on a R40 on the (B) and still miss the (B) via West End. Defenitely looking forward to the event this summer. I'll be there, DSLR ready. I hope they are the lead cars when they hit the rails.

An under rated fast spot is the N/b run from Crown Heights Utica to Franklin on the (4) during an off peak hour. I was on a R142a and the train literally starting bouncing up and down talk about scary. @Xcel another thing I dislike about buses are they're usually packed and uncomfortably bumpy.

Truth. The express trains really pick up some nice speeds on that run on the Brooklyn IRT, all the way through to Utica. Kinda slow between Borough Hall and Nevins though.

LOL.

Wouldn't it be a problem if you want to walk through cars with the slanted ends.

I agree that the slants are beasts. I personally think that the MTA should bring back more style into the subway trains. Such as having slanted ended trains, but only at one end of a set to prevent the problem of the R40s. Also, they should bring back the blue stripes, and should have different colored seats. Also, they should have better floors like this:

img_5125.jpg

I hate how all the new subway cars are basically looking the same. It's so boring looking at them. They should have the subway cars look different. The MTA should also test out new innovative features.

Just my opinion.

In a word: Redbirds.

This...

...about 5 different car classes painted the same red color (and were more or less the same exact thing inside and out) and no one complains, but good heavens the NTTs look the same and everyone catches bitch fits

This...

...about 5 different car classes painted the same red color (and were more or less the same exact thing inside and out) and no one complains, but good heavens the NTTs look the same and everyone catches bitch fits

We also had 1150 R62/62A cars that ran along side with those Redbirds. No one complained about those either. Some members (and they know who they are, so they can't give me that load of crap) are also complaining about getting the very cars that debuted on the (6). I find that funny. Most people really don't care what train runs on that line. Just as long as it gets them from point A to point B.