SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anything to connect the (3)(L) at Junius/Livonia, as getting between the two requires a double fare, a long trek into Manhattan, or transfers to the (C) and Franklin (S) .

ADA upgrades to:

Bronx

149th/GC

Something on Concourse

Something on Dyre

Brooklyn

4th/9th

Botanic Garden / Franklin

Broadway Junction

Metropolitan/Lorimer

Manhattan

6th/14th F L M 1 2 3

6th/42nd B D F M 7

7th/57th

81st B C (museum station)

86th 4 5 6 (proximity to museums)

Canal J N Q R Z 6

Lex/59th

Queens

Astoria Blvd

Forest Hills

Hunters Point (LIRR)

Willets Point (events)

Basically, every transfer point that isn't cross-platform and anything serving a major tourist attraction.

Its kingsbridge on the concourse

And I think gun hill or baychester on the dyre

Regarding the last two statements, some out-of-towners i've run into don't get it, no matter what. As I stated when I originally jumped into the conversation about this, to understand the importance of the Wood Memorial and how it needs to not be changed in any regards is to be a part of the racing community. For the sake of not wanting to argue any more, i'll leave it at that. Message me if you feel the need to be respond.

Exactly.  The Wood and The Belmont Stakes are the two most important days of the year for Horse Racing in NYC and those are days the (MTA) needs to be ultra-sensitive to when planning G.O.'s (even BC Preview day in the fall at Belmont, which for real racing fans is actually a more important day than either of the other two isn't as important from this perspective). 

People in Horse Racing are extremely sensitive to attendance on these big days that bring out many more casual fans who are not normally there along with out-of-towners, and ANY such disruption can take people away and make it look to those outside New York that New York can't draw for big days when in reality, it's the lack of a subway when taking a car or other means is extremely problematic with traffic problems.  That's why I was as such on this, knowing how overly sensitive many in the sport are to attendance and anything even as seemingly minor as the (A) being out for part of the route even if it stops at Aqueduct is looked at as keeping people away.

Rode the (L) from Broadway Junction to Union Square, and I can say, fastest line in the system. Feels like those R143s go 50mph between each stop, and from Bedford to 1st ave is probably the fastest I've seen a train go in a tunnel connecting boroughs. Then I rode the (7) from Times Square to Hunters Point Ave 7811-7821. Saw 7871-7876, at times square as well, so that was a nice futuristic look. Then caught 7843-7833 back to Grand Central. Those trains are nice. First time riding a new train, had the new smell with some shiny interior parts. Also rode the (4) from Grand Central to Brooklyn Bridge. Man those trains stay packed, and they move so fast it's amazing. Love how the R142 howls when it's moving fast.

The subway is much better then buses, coming from a New Yorker.

Rode the (L) from Broadway Junction to Union Square, and I can say, fastest line in the system. Feels like those R143s go 50mph between each stop, and from Bedford to 1st ave is probably the fastest I've seen a train go in a tunnel connecting boroughs. Then I rode the (7) from Times Square to Hunters Point Ave 7811-7821. Saw 7871-7876, at times square as well, so that was a nice futuristic look. Then caught 7843-7833 back to Grand Central. Those trains are nice. First time riding a new train, had the new smell with some shiny interior parts. Also rode the (4) from Grand Central to Brooklyn Bridge. Man those trains stay packed, and they move so fast it's amazing. Love how the R142 howls when it's moving fast.

The subway is much better then buses, coming from a New Yorker.

Welcome to the fanclub brother *hugs xcelsior* Bus fans try to deny the irrefutable factual evidence that trains are superior but not today. Today we shall celebrate this victory!

With the bus, you have traffic, and when there's no traffic you either running to early, to late, then gotta drag, all that bullshitt. Then you sometimes have a fast ride, sometimes have a extremely slow ride. With the subway, more than 90% of the time it's fast. Then you get extremely fast T/Os. Then the best thing, you can ride the whole thing for $2.50.

An under rated fast spot is the N/b run from Crown Heights Utica to Franklin on the (4) during an off peak hour. I was on a R142a and the train literally starting bouncing up and down talk about scary. @Xcel another thing I dislike about buses are they're usually packed and uncomfortably bumpy.

An under rated fast spot is the N/b run from Crown Heights Utica to Franklin on the (4) during an off peak hour. I was on a R142a and the train literally starting bouncing up and down talk about scary. @Xcel another thing I dislike about buses are they're usually packed and uncombyfortably bumpy.

Yeah, and the (4) is sick fast. When I was on the (L) today between each stop it was bouncing and rocking and swaying. It was scary for a train, but a crazy fast experience, that was very enjoyable.

Yesterday a was on a s/b 4 from Utica to Franklin and I was never on a train that had such a fast run in that section.Seemed like the t/o had an emergency and he had to get to Utica as soon as possible.

Edited by Abba

An under rated fast spot is the N/b run from Crown Heights Utica to Franklin on the (4) during an off peak hour. I was on a R142a and the train literally starting bouncing up and down talk about scary. @Xcel another thing I dislike about buses are they're usually packed and uncomfortably bumpy.

The (4)(5) can fly down Lexington, but during the rush it can be crawling at 5mph while a million (6) trains zoom past it.

Exactly.  The Wood and The Belmont Stakes are the two most important days of the year for Horse Racing in NYC and those are days the (MTA) needs to be ultra-sensitive to when planning G.O.'s (even BC Preview day in the fall at Belmont, which for real racing fans is actually a more important day than either of the other two isn't as important from this perspective). 

People in Horse Racing are extremely sensitive to attendance on these big days that bring out many more casual fans who are not normally there along with out-of-towners, and ANY such disruption can take people away and make it look to those outside New York that New York can't draw for big days when in reality, it's the lack of a subway when taking a car or other means is extremely problematic with traffic problems.  That's why I was as such on this, knowing how overly sensitive many in the sport are to attendance and anything even as seemingly minor as the (A) being out for part of the route even if it stops at Aqueduct is looked at as keeping people away.

The (MTA) doesn't have to give a flying cr*p about any event. If the (MTA) has to get work done, they'll get it done, preferably sooner or later. The NYRA should just take its own imitative to send its own shuttle buses to the event in Aqueduct, because the (MTA) shouldn't have to go out of their way to reschedule GOs just for this event. If the MTA didn't cancel (7) GOs for Chinese New  Years or Mets games, then why does horse racing get special treatment over other events?

Edited by YankeesPwnMets

Yeah, and the (4) is sick fast. When I was on the (L) today between each stop it was bouncing and rocking and swaying. It was scary for a train, but a crazy fast experience, that was very enjoyable.

That's that CBTC and ATO for you...now catch it when shit hits the fan and you'll change your tune lol

The (MTA) doesn't have to give a flying cr*p about any event. If the (MTA) has to get work done, they'll get it done, preferably sooner or later. The NYRA should just take its own imitative to send its own shuttle buses to the event in Aqueduct, because the (MTA) shouldn't have to go out of their way to reschedule GOs just for this event. If the MTA didn't cancel (7) GOs for Chinese New  Years or Mets games, then why does horse racing get special treatment over other events?

Because, as i've stated in the conversation, out-of-towners get confused and the Wood is once a year. Mets games are 81 games, so it's logical you wouldn't cancel G.O.'s for Mets games.

Because, as i've stated in the conversation, out-of-towners get confused and the Wood is once a year. Mets games are 81 games, so it's logical you wouldn't cancel G.O.'s for Mets games.

Out of towners get confused on an average weekday when everything is running normally so you cant even use that excuse.

There were events that gained more patronage than the races and the (MTA) didn't cancel the G.Os that day. Once again, its not like there isn't no other alternative to get there. Lets say you're in midtown (times square to be specific) and you need ways to get there and the G.O is in effect. Here's a list of all the ways to get there...

-free direct shuttle buses to Aqueduct

-(A) to the (L), then back to the (A) at the Junction

-(E) to Kew Gardens then the Q37

-ride out the (A) shuttle buses

-(A) to the (L) to the (J) to the Q37

-(A) or (E) to Penn Station, LIRR to Jamaica then free shuttle bus to Aqueduct

-(E) to Jamaica then free shuttle bus to Aqueduct

-cab it

Out of towners get confused on an average weekday when everything is running normally so you cant even use that excuse.

There is always someone holding up the conductor for some stupid question even on a relatively normal day. Sometimes I ask myself why people don't read the map or ask the station agent or ask a knowledgeable New Yorker.

There is always someone holding up the conductor for some stupid question even on a relatively normal day. Sometimes I ask myself why people don't read the map or ask the station agent or ask a knowledgeable New Yorker.

S/A will turn you away to a phone line since "[they] aren't allowed to give directions". A lot of them don't even know the system that well.

Because, as i've stated in the conversation, out-of-towners get confused and the Wood is once a year. Mets games are 81 games, so it's logical you wouldn't cancel G.O.'s for Mets games.

Exactly.  The Wood Memorial and Belmont Stakes are TWO days out of the ENTIRE YEAR.  A LOT different than 81 Mets games.

Exactly. The Wood Memorial and Belmont Stakes are TWO days out of the ENTIRE YEAR. A LOT different than 81 Mets games.

Regardless of how important they are to you, events at the Aqueduct do not bring in a lot of subway traffic. No where to the extent that CitiField, Yankee Stadium, the Barclays Center and MSG do. That's why GOs are often cancelled or in fact seldom scheduled in the first place around those locations. Doing so would create a dangerous overcrowding situation on the platforms and trains. That's not really the case with the Aqueduct. Besides, as mentioned almost a million times already, service along the Rockaways stretch of the line was running normally, just not past Utica Av. One could still get there via subway, just not directly if they were on the A-trains.

Pushing it back one weekend or two hurts NO ONE.
And you've verified that there are no conflicts with any GO's scheduled for those weekends?

one example is the Livonia Av station in the  (L). The  (MTA) is planning to connect the  (L) with the  (3)
No they're not. NYCT policy is to institute out of system transfers only to take the place of former transfers that have been eliminated by service changes. While I'd like to see a transfer here, NYCT hasn't been willing thus far to incur the loss of revenue (from people who the MetroCard system might be transferring but aren't actually).

There were events that gained more patronage than the races and the (MTA) didn't cancel the G.Os that day. Once again, its not like there isn't no other alternative to get there. Lets say you're in midtown (times square to be specific) and you need ways to get there and the G.O is in effect. Here's a list of all the ways to get there...

-free direct shuttle buses to Aqueduct

- (A) to the (L), then back to the (A) at the Junction

- (E) to Kew Gardens then the Q37

-ride out the (A) shuttle buses

- (A) to the (L) to the (J) to the Q37

- (A) or (E) to Penn Station, LIRR to Jamaica then free shuttle bus to Aqueduct

- (E) to Jamaica then free shuttle bus to Aqueduct

-cab it

As the Wood is now over, this is a dead issue and the G.O. is(hopefully) over. With that being said, i'll make one final statement on the matter: i'm not saying your points aren't valid or logical. What I am saying is that the date of the Wood was known months in advance and the G.O. could've been scheduled around it. If inclement weather was the cause of the G.O. being postponed yesterday, as i've seen posters say here, then that's unfortunate, but still could've been avoided with careful planning. I've seen(not your post(s)people downplay the Wood, yet, as i've stated repeatedly, you don't know what it does for the city in every way possible. I was on the chat last night and was talking about a different matter, but was told that the (MTA) gets federally funded money. Aside from that, some events that the city hosts mean more beyond money and transit and the Wood is one of them. That's why i've consistently said that you have to be a part of the racing community to understand what the Wood means.

As for the out-of-towners, they are not the brightest people mostly, but i've seen posters(one really)say they're just flat dumb and that's wrong. Yes, they may not understand what's happening on a normal day, but if that's true, you think giving them MORE options/information is really a good thing? Some do just turn away and give up if they don't have their normal service to Aqueduct. That's out of frustration and it costs the city, which in turn, costs the (MTA), money. As Jsunflyguy said, the station agent will turn you away, leading to more frustration and anger. Bottom line is that if the out-of-towners are confused, we're supposed to make it easier for them. (MTA) and race officials could've simply had meetings on the matter and come to a solution, no matter what it is so officials from both sides could've been prepared accordingly: the (MTA) with alternate dates for the G.O. if possible and race officials to mail or notify attendees of the event(they do have their names when they buy the tickets). 

I don't anticipate doing this again and never have done it before(meaning sort of calling out someone), but I messaged one poster who has consistently responded here so as to take this off of here and not continue what is an obvious disagreement, but unfortunately, didn't get a response, which is a shame as I would've liked to hear this person's thoughts. I am now done on the matter and am looking forward to next weekend's (R) having R32's.

Edited by lupojohn

As the Wood is now over, this is a dead issue and the G.O. is(hopefully) over. With that being said, i'll make one final statement on the matter: i'm not saying your points aren't valid or logical. What I am saying is that the date of the Wood was known months in advance and the G.O. could've been scheduled around it. If inclement weather was the cause of the G.O. being postponed yesterday, as i've seen posters say here, then that's unfortunate, but still could've been avoided with careful planning. I've seen(not your post(s)people downplay the Wood, yet, as i've stated repeatedly, you don't know what it does for the city in every way possible. I was on the chat last night and was talking about a different matter, but was told that the (MTA) gets federally funded money. Aside from that, some events that the city hosts mean more beyond money and transit and the Wood is one of them. That's why i've consistently said that you have to be a part of the racing community to understand what the Wood means.

There are very important events every single weekend of the year, all over the city. When GO's are scheduled, the goal is not to make it convenient to get to all important events easily, since invariably that's simply not possible. The goal is to try to keep the inconvenience to a minimum, to ensure that the various GO's aren't incompatible with each other, and to try to maintain adequate capacity for everybody. (That's why Flushing line GO's are avoided during Mets games - because there wouldn't be enough capacity to handle the post-game rush.)

I'm not downplaying the Wood - but I think you may be downplaying everything else.

There are very important events every single weekend of the year, all over the city. When GO's are scheduled, the goal is not to make it convenient to get to all important events easily, since invariably that's simply not possible. The goal is to try to keep the inconvenience to a minimum, to ensure that the various GO's aren't incompatible with each other, and to try to maintain adequate capacity for everybody. (That's why Flushing line GO's are avoided during Mets games - because there wouldn't be enough capacity to handle the post-game rush.)

I'm not downplaying the Wood - but I think you may be downplaying everything else.

I appreciate the response, but I wasn't necessarily talking about you. I think one thing that may help is if the Aqueduct Racetrack had a southbound platform in regards to the comments made about low ridership. What I was trying to say is that the Wood is a moneymaker for the city, in general.

Edited by lupojohn

I appreciate the response, but I wasn't necessarily talking about you. I think one thing that may help is if the Aqueduct Racetrack had a southbound platform in regards to the comments made about low ridership. What I was trying to say is that the Wood is a moneymaker for the city, in general.

That could also be fixed by building a northern exit to North Conduit. That station is about the same distance from the racino/track as the (7) is from Citi Field. The platforms are separated by a little over a train length.