BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Calvin said:

Buses are going to equipped with a license plate scanner that'll be located on top of the windshield close to the farebox. So far, an ENY unit is seen with one. If a car is parked on the bus lane and a bus with the scanner arrives that's next to it, the scanner will capture the plate and will send a ticket by mail. 

I thought this was something they were already doing, because didn’t they install those little beige cameras on the windshield to do just that a few years back starting on the M15?

12 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

What's the deal with all the standards on the Q53 today? Like half the route was all XD40s. What makes this even worse because the Manhattan-bound (R) is running express this weekend in Queens, so everyone is piling on the Q53. This couldn't have happened at a worst moment.

The XD60s were most likely out of service because their spare factor is still low and that is evident with the few buses they need to barrow from CS every summer to make service.
What needs to happen for the redesign is they need to have both the Q52/Q53 share a pool of buses and give both routes a decent spare factor because even with the last XD60 order LGA still didn’t get enough buses to replace the 13 NYCT XD60s they have and were also forced to put artics on the Q70 instead of giving everything to the Q53 which currently needs the buses more than the Q70. 

10 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

With the new XD40 order, I notice that all of the 7900 series will be used for numberings of buses. I have two questions:

1. What numbers in the 4 digits have never been used to number a bus (excluding a demo) between 1000 and 9999?
2. What numbers if any are the XD40s using for the first time ever?

Long Island bus took up the numbers ranging between 1400 and 1840 and now the Prevost are finally using half of those numbers again however the MTA hasn’t used numbers in the 1900s from what I recall in a very long time. Had MTA kept LI Bus we would have seen those numbers be used eventually. However my best bet is we may perhaps see 1700-1999 used again for a future express bus order.

11 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I thought this was something they were already doing, because didn’t they install those little beige cameras on the windshield to do just that a few years back starting on the M15?

From what I've heard, it was set up on the Manhattan borough routes/depots: the streets of the route have more of the bus lanes than right now in Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx with Staten Island. They are expanding but other than camera distribution, they'll have MTA officers riding the route to check on cars and trucks parked on the lane. 

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

How exactly do the bus lane cameras work? Does the operator press a button or does it continually scan plates?

I always wonder about that, especially when I see traffic agents directing cars into the bus lane sometimes when traffic is heavy, and I wonder if those cars get tickets and need to fight them and try to prove that a traffic agent directed them into the lane

On 9/17/2022 at 6:37 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Actually there have been some improvements. Those incidents were a while back.

You are right, there have definitely been improvements, thanks to your advocacy (e.g., the QM1s not getting cut randomly like they used to, not throwing people off the bus at random stops, better signage, etc). However, as we've discussed, the CP B/Os' horrible behavior has really soured my attitude towards the CP routes, and traffic levels in general have become nearly intolerable. If the QV EXP routes were more convenient to me, I'd take them every day, no question, and deal with the traffic. But the horrible CP B/Os give me stress every time I get on a bus with a new B/O and have to prepare for some sort of argument or problem with them.

4 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

You are right, there have definitely been improvements, thanks to your advocacy (e.g., the QM1s not getting cut randomly like they used to, not throwing people off the bus at random stops, better signage, etc). However, as we've discussed, the CP B/Os' horrible behavior has really soured my attitude towards the CP routes, and traffic levels in general have become nearly intolerable. If the QV EXP routes were more convenient to me, I'd take them every day, no question, and deal with the traffic. But the horrible CP B/Os give me stress every time I get on a bus with a new B/O and have to prepare for some sort of argument or problem with them.

There was an issue recently I had to deal with on the QM2 line. Buses were parking in front of a residence along the Cross Island Parkway.  I did reach out about the issues you also mentioned, as well as the blocking of seats. That too has improved.  A message was sent out regarding that.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

There was an issue recently I had to deal with on the QM2 line. Buses were parking in front of a residence along the Cross Island Parkway.  I did reach out about the issues you also mentioned, as well as the blocking of seats. That too has improved.  A message was sent out regarding that.

Thank you thank you!! I'm keeping an eye out for the seat blocking issue..so far this week, every B/O has been blocking off a row, but hopefully that starts to improve

The other bigger picture concern for me is the Redesign plan, and I saw you just posted about the final plan coming out in the next year. If the severe cuts they suggested to the QM1/5/6/31/35/36 west of 188th street are put into effect, forget about it, the lines will lose a lot of their usefulness for me and they will end up losing my business.

Edited by QM1to6Ave

3 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Thank you thank you!! I'm keeping an eye out for the seat blocking issue..so far this week, every B/O has been blocking off a row, but hopefully that starts to improve

The other bigger picture concern for me is the Redesign plan, and I saw you just posted about the final plan coming out in the next year. If the severe cuts they suggested to the QM1/5/6/31/35/36 west of 188th street are put into effect, forget about it, the lines will lose a lot of their usefulness for me and they will end up losing my business.

Well I had a long conversation with an elected official that represents chunks of Northeast Queens some weeks ago about the latest draft plan.  They've been talking with the (MTA) about the last plan and it doesn't sit well with a lot of people. When I have spoken with my contacts about it, they have stressed that this is only a proposal, so we will see what they come up with.  Can't go into details here, so I will DM you.

Boarded 4744 on the B1 to the Golden Bay restaurant around the Bay Parkway area today.  The artic bus on the B1 seemed to have a single seat taken off close to the second door to allow strollers to be placed on the side or a luggage if you're going somewhere. 

Edited by Calvin

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

Boarded 4744 on the B1 to the Golden Bay restaurant around the Bay Parkway area today.  The artic bus on the B1 seemed to have a single seat taken off close to the second door to allow strollers to be placed on the side or a luggage if you're going somewhere. 

Interesting, the article I read about this pilot plan for strollers indicated the seat would flip up, not be removed entirely.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

I was driving on the cross Bronx earlier and saw an MTA Orion V at Cummins Metro Power…I thought the Orions MTA got were Detroit engines?

All the Orion Vs that had Cummins engines are long gone. There's only like three MTA Orion Vs still in existence and they are all DD50 powered. 

The only Cummins Orion V the MTA had were CNG, no cummins diesels.

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

All the Orion Vs that had Cummins engines are long gone. There's only like three MTA Orion Vs still in existence and they are all DD50 powered. 

The only Cummins Orion V the MTA had were CNG, no cummins diesels.

It does not have the CNG tanks on the roof. Maybe it was removed?

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I was driving on the cross Bronx earlier and saw an MTA Orion V at Cummins Metro Power…I thought the Orions MTA got were Detroit engines?

More than likely that was not an actual MTA Orion V, but maybe a movie bus or one that is privately owned.

This isn't a huge deal considering this is going to describe a drop-off stop, but the BxM3/BxM4 on Bustime (which means on the newfangled screens on the Prevosts also) show the dropoff stop at 5th and 87th, but the drop off sign is at 5th/84th and that's where the drivers all stop at because the stop's been at 5th/84th for years...

I usually take the buses to Midtown so this doesn't affect me, but for the sake of conversation what's the *official* stop in that area?

On 9/25/2022 at 11:56 PM, paulrivera said:

This isn't a huge deal considering this is going to describe a drop-off stop, but the BxM3/BxM4 on Bustime (which means on the newfangled screens on the Prevosts also) show the dropoff stop at 5th and 87th, but the drop off sign is at 5th/84th and that's where the drivers all stop at because the stop's been at 5th/84th for years...

I usually take the buses to Midtown so this doesn't affect me, but for the sake of conversation what's the *official* stop in that area?

5th & 84th... 5th & 87th is a mistake. There's also a BxM7 sign somewhere that was posted by mistake by the DOT.  Busy at the moment, but when I have some time I'll look into these things to get them fixed.  BusTime can be updated whenever the next address any errors, which is usually once a month or so, maybe less. I forget exactly how often, but it isn't often.

4 hours ago, R179 8258 said:

Is the SIM3 apart of Meredith depot ? I noticed the update on the route and its seems like Meredith is a helper depot for Castleston. What is the main purpose for Meredith Depot ?!?

They don't want to overload the two depots, Castleton and Yukon if Meredith Depot has not opened right now. If you split half the Express bus total over to Yukon or Castleton, then they won't have enough space to park the buses. 

Edited by Calvin

4 hours ago, R179 8258 said:

Is the SIM3 apart of Meredith depot ? I noticed the update on the route and its seems like Meredith is a helper depot for Castleston. What is the main purpose for Meredith Depot ?!?

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

The purpose of Meredith is to reduce crowding at the other SI depots.

33 minutes ago, Calvin said:

They don't want to overload the two depots, Castleton and Yukon if Meredith Depot has not opened right now. If you split half the Express bus total over to Yukon or Castleton, then they won't have enough space to park the buses. 

To be clear, Meredith "Depot" is not a full depot. Back when I lived on Staten Island, I would often times see Meredith Depot express buses deadheading towards Castleton Depot for this and that, as they don't have certain amenities at Meredith Depot. Charleston Depot, which was left out of this discussion was accounted for before it was even completed. Years ago, there were talks about a fifth depot opening. This has not come to fruition and I am not sure if it will anytime soon. Having an another depot would allow for service expansion and also reduce bus shortages. Staten Island has suffered for years with both issues, especially when only Yukon and Castleton were around. There weren't enough lifts and other things needed to fix the buses and not enough space to run more service. Both things have improved with the opening of Charleston and Meredith, though it could be even better,

12 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

To be clear, Meredith "Depot" is not a full depot. Back when I lived on Staten Island, I would often times see Meredith Depot express buses deadheading towards Castleton Depot for this and that, as they don't have certain amenities at Meredith Depot. Charleston Depot, which was left out of this discussion was accounted for before it was even completed. Years ago, there were talks about a fifth depot opening. This has not come to fruition and I am not sure if it will anytime soon. Having an another depot would allow for service expansion and also reduce bus shortages. Staten Island has suffered for years with both issues, especially when only Yukon and Castleton were around. There weren't enough lifts and other things needed to fix the buses and not enough space to run more service. Both things have improved with the opening of Charleston and Meredith, though it could be even better,

Instead of opening a 5th depot would it be possible to expand and make Meredith Depot into a full time depot?

31 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Instead of opening a 5th depot would it be possible to expand and make Meredith Depot into a full time depot?

Good question. I'm not sure. There really isn't much there. More of a place to park if anything. Years ago any real work on buses meant sending them elsewhere. I haven't followed the situation enough to know what the latest is, but I don't believe much has changed. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8