BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, xD4nn said:

Looks like Prottera was bought by Volvo. Interested to see how the MTA plays with this information.
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/volvo-to-acquire-battery-business-from-proterra-inc-and-proterra-operating-company-301984421.html

The link is no good on phones at times, so here's a link to another news site about it: https://www.reuters.com/markets/deals/truckmaker-volvo-buy-proterras-battery-business-210-mln-2023-11-10/

Edited by Kingsbridgeviewer382

2 hours ago, xD4nn said:

Looks like Prottera was bought by Volvo. Interested to see how the MTA plays with this information.
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/volvo-to-acquire-battery-business-from-proterra-inc-and-proterra-operating-company-301984421.html

Only the battery business has been purchased.

Wtf are they (the DOT) doing with Livingston Street.....

Took the full B45 into Downtown earlier today...... Looks like they're going to (try to) E.L. Grant Hwy., Livingston Street.... In other words, do away with curbside bus stops for the Downtown bound buses & install islands in the middle of the street for buses to stop at.... I want to see how they're going to pull this off... Livingston doesn't have the width that E.L. Grant does.... EB traffic is going to have to be redirected onto Schermerhorn, or Atlantic (which is already a shitshow as it is).....

Edited by B35 via Church

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Wtf are they (the DOT) doing with Livingston Street.....

Took the full B45 into Downtown earlier today...... Looks like they're going to (try to) E.L. Grant Hwy., Livingston Street.... In other words, do away with curbside bus stops for the Downtown bound buses & install islands in the middle of the street for buses to stop at.... I want to see how they're going to pull this off... Livingston doesn't have the width that E.L. Grant does.... EB traffic is going to have to be redirected onto Schermerhorn, or Atlantic (which is already a shitshow as it is).....

The previous bus lane idea didn't work out so they're going full-on "f**k cars" and making it two-way for buses only while making everyone else take it westbound. At least it'll be easier for me next time I'm on the B67 to get around it...

Edited by SoSpectacular

5 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

So the bus stop changes made to the Q17, Q48, and Q50 in Flushing are now permanent after the opening of the new staircases on the (7) Train station.

How is the set up now? Everything gonna remain on Main St (in the case of the Q17, at 38th av?)

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

1 hour ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

How is the set up now? Everything gonna remain on Main St (in the case of the Q17, at 38th av?)

Q50 - Main St by 39th Av, right by GNC

Q17 - Main St by 38th Av

Q48, I believe remains at Main St by Roosevelt Av, close to the US 1 Supermarket. 

Edited by Calvin

3 hours ago, Calvin said:

Q50 - Main St by 39th Av, right by GNC

Q17 - Main St by 38th Av

Q48, I believe remains at Main St by Roosevelt Av, close to the US 1 Supermarket. 

I’m surprised they are going to keep the Q17 two blocks away from the (7) when it used to stop right in front of one of the entrances. I expect a few more people to pile up on Q25/Q34 as a result. 

10 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

The previous bus lane idea didn't work out so they're going full-on "f**k cars" and making it two-way for buses only while making everyone else take it westbound. At least it'll be easier for me next time I'm on the B67 to get around it...

So they're going fully cocked instead of going half-cocked - because the latter is exactly what that initial bus lane idea was..... At least this would have Schermerhorn see more usage than it historically did & currently does... Always tripped me out how dead Schermerhorn was/is, traffic wise.... The dollar vans (well, mini-buses) are going to be in for a rude awakening when this plan is completed - no more of that illegal u-turning on Livingston at Smith (in front of the Park & Fast) BS.....

Speaking of Smith/Livingston, they have one of those yellow signs/placards up at the current B62 terminal stating that the stop will be discontinued (not surprised at that, TBH)... It also mentioned a stop at Smith/Livingston that's set to replace it (don't remember how the sign was exactly worded).... I can't figure out if the B62 will be shifted to terminate at the current penultimate stop (alongside the Civil Court bldg.), or on the same side of the street with the B61 & B65....

Edited by B35 via Church

14 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

First off, what was the previous Livingston Street Plan?

This new plan is just worse and it starts on Tuesday 11/14.

53 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

First off, what was the previous Livingston Street Plan?

This new plan is just worse and it starts on Tuesday 11/14.

Livingston St. was a part of that Better Buses Action Plan that De Bozo (De Blasio) introduced, around 4 or 5 years ago.... It was an attempt to improve bus speeds along certain corridors throughout the city.... There were about 20 corridors or so that were to see improvements, with Livingston st. being one of them.

In laymans, the previous Livingston st. plan were the first set of bus lanes that were painted along it.

9 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Livingston St. was a part of that Better Buses Action Plan that De Bozo (De Blasio) introduced, around 4 or 5 years ago.... It was an attempt to improve bus speeds along certain corridors throughout the city.... There were about 20 corridors or so that were to see improvements, with Livingston st. being one of them.

In laymans, the previous Livingston st. plan were the first set of bus lanes that were painted along it.

Ahh got it.. Than mayor copy cat went along with it and boom here we go.  Since, I work in the vicinity of the area. Traffic is gonna be horrendous and there's absolutely NO parking on Livingston in both directions and since Schermerhorn Street is one direction (Eastbound Boerum to Flatbush) Parking in that area is gonna get very stupid.

42 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Ahh got it.. Than mayor copy cat went along with it and boom here we go.  Since, I work in the vicinity of the area. Traffic is gonna be horrendous and there's absolutely NO parking on Livingston in both directions and since Schermerhorn Street is one direction (Eastbound Boerum to Flatbush) Parking in that area is gonna get very stupid.

Watch for (even more) cars abusing the loose non-enforcement of the buses only rule along Fulton, west of Flatbush av. extension.

Not sure how else to put this, other than by saying that Livingston was some motorists' last hope to directly (feasibly, enough to) get into the heart of Downtown.... This is only going to increase the amount of people backdooring their way to it... Even outside of peak hours, the B61 slogs its way to get to Livingston after it turns off Columbia.... I'm not sure what's going to be worse - Atlantic, or Tillary.....

2 minutes ago, R68ACTrain said:

Kingsbridge Depot has to be the worst depot in the Bronx in terms of everything. Maintenance, Dispatching, and service. Everything, horrible,

I will have to agree with dispatching. A lot of their services are inconsistent, with gaps in service and buses leaving in bunches even when there isn't any traffic problems on the route.

4 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

I will have to agree with dispatching. A lot of their services are inconsistent, with gaps in service and buses leaving in bunches even when there isn't any traffic problems on the route.

The service on the Bx1, and Bx10 are horrible in the mornings.

Besides the charging methods on the LFS in NYCT and MTA Bus, the doors are a difference for anyone that noticed. At one time at Jamaica Center, I saw one on the Q31 at Jamaica Av that has the rear doors slide outwards like all the other NYC units. However, the Q6, few days ago, the LFS out of MTA Bus has the doors swinging inwards like the 2010 units, 8504-8754.  

Edited by Calvin

7 hours ago, Calvin said:

Besides the charging methods on the LFS in NYCT and MTA Bus, the doors are a difference for anyone that noticed. At one time at Jamaica Center, I saw one on the Q31 at Jamaica Av that has the rear doors slide outwards like all the other NYC units. However, the Q6, few days ago, the LFS out of MTA Bus has the doors swinging inwards like the 2010 units, 8504-8754.  

.....charging methods?

16 hours ago, R68ACTrain said:

Kingsbridge Depot has to be the worst depot in the Bronx in terms of everything. Maintenance, Dispatching, and service. Everything, horrible,

Dispatching, yeah, the Bx3 has horrible dispatching. Service really depends on traffic, as damn near every line goes through heavy corridors. Maintenance…you haven’t been on GH buses or even some of the other boroughs buses. I would agree though, KB does have bad maintenance, mainly due to the school kids (most of the lines go through notoriously bad schools).

1 hour ago, NBTA said:

Dispatching, yeah, the Bx3 has horrible dispatching. Service really depends on traffic, as damn near every line goes through heavy corridors. Maintenance…you haven’t been on GH buses or even some of the other boroughs buses. I would agree though, KB does have bad maintenance, mainly due to the school kids (most of the lines go through notoriously bad schools).

The Bx1 and Bx10 are worse in my opinion.