BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

They had clean fuel stickers as well, they have clean fuel diesels?

"Clean fuel" refers to the fact that the emissions produced by the vehicle are filtered to a very high standard through the use of certain technologies such as selective catalytic reduction (SCR) or exhaust gas recirculation (EGR). They are pretty much required nowadays because of regulations.

1 hour ago, jaf0519 said:

Does anyone happen to have a pdf of the Queens Bus Map when the Q98V Covid Shuttle from Jamaica to Edgemere was running?

The route only existed for a little more than a month. Always thought the route was a waste. 

This is the schedule for it.
https://new.mta.info/document/31481

Here is the Queens Bus map from April 2021

https://web.archive.org/web/20210416222211/https://new.mta.info/map/5371

19 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

The route only existed for a little more than a month. Always thought the route was a waste.

This is the schedule for it.
https://new.mta.info/document/31481

Here is the Queens Bus map from April 2021
https://web.archive.org/web/20210416222211/https://new.mta.info/map/5371

On the drive home, I would constantly see the vaccine route for Brooklyn along ENY av; the B98v or whatever.... It went to Medgar Evers College.... Once I read that you had to have a vaccination card to board the thing, I immediately withdrew any interest in wanting to fan the thing.... Matter fact, I would scowl every time I saw it.

8 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

On the drive home, I would constantly see the vaccine route for Brooklyn along ENY av; the B98v or whatever.... It went to Medgar Evers College.... Once I read that you had to have a vaccination card to board the thing, I immediately withdrew any interest in wanting to fan the thing.... Matter fact, I would scowl every time I saw it.

That can't be real, they required that? I never heard about that. Thought it was just that was providing access to those sites. I don't even see how that would be legal or enforceable.

1 minute ago, MHV9218 said:

That can't be real, they required that? I never heard about that. Thought it was just that was providing access to those sites. I don't even see how that would be legal or enforceable.

Don't know if it actually was or wasn't (real/true)..... I would question the legality of that as well; being denied a public service because you didn't have that card.... Crazy...

What I will say is that, if it was infact the case, I'm surprised some opportunist actively seeking to come up off lawsuits didn't take advantage of that.... Then again, you gotta wonder how many people in this city even know about the B98v & Q98v to begin with.

30 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Don't know if it actually was or wasn't (real/true)..... I would question the legality of that as well; being denied a public service because you didn't have that card.... Crazy...

What I will say is that, if it was infact the case, I'm surprised some opportunist actively seeking to come up off lawsuits didn't take advantage of that.... Then again, you gotta wonder how many people in this city even know about the B98v & Q98v to begin with.

Being required to have a card made no sense as you only got them once you entered the vaccination centers. That could of been a case of a driver going into buisiness for themselves or legitimatley getting bad intel and enforcing said intel.

35 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

Being required to have a card made no sense as you only got them once you entered the vaccination centers. That could of been a case of a driver going into buisiness for themselves or legitimatley getting bad intel and enforcing said intel.

Sounds like that could be (another) reason why I always saw those B98v's literally empty.

4 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

A vax card wasn’t require to use the B98v or the Q98v. The sole purpose of those two routes was to provide a shuttle to the vaccination site from various NYCHA housing projects. If I recall correctly the projects the v-buses served had more residents who were at risk of getting very ill and dying so they provided these shuttle routes with the hope that it would encourage more people to get their shot.

Edited by NewFlyer 230

5 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

A vax card wasn’t require to use the B98v or the Q98v. The sole purpose of those two routes was to provide a shuttle to the vaccination site from various NYCHA housing projects. If I recall correctly the projects the v-buses served had more residents who were at risk of getting very ill and dying so they provided these shuttle routes with the hope that it would encourage more people to get their shot.

Yeah, I know what the purpose of the routes were; that was never in question..... Like I said, once I read that you needed those cards in able to board the thing, I immediately got disinterested.... Looking at the routings, they both looked like they'd be pretty good rides from a fanning perspective too....  I can agree with @Kingsbridgeviewer382's point though; whatever amount of b/o's that were "enforcing" that disinformation, were doing so to perhaps keep people off of the buses... No different than some of these express bus b/o's that were putting up the not in service signs (especially around that same time; 2021) riding around empty & what not....

8 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Yeah, I know what the purpose of the routes were; that was never in question..... Like I said, once I read that you needed those cards in able to board the thing, I immediately got disinterested.... Looking at the routings, they both looked like they'd be pretty good rides from a fanning perspective too....  I can agree with @Kingsbridgeviewer382's point though; whatever amount of b/o's that were "enforcing" that disinformation, were doing so to perhaps keep people off of the buses... No different than some of these express bus b/o's that were putting up the not in service signs (especially around that same time; 2021) riding around empty & what not....

Back in 2020 when I had to go to EWR, I wanted to take one of the overnight BxM2's (that never had anyone on them) from Riverdale. Dude blew past my stop with a NIS sign up, I had to actually chase after him for a few blocks (thank god for the horrible timed lights on Riverdale Av) with luggage and a backpack until he finally pulled over and asked if I wanted the bus. His excuse was no one ever rides his trip and he thought I was waiting for the BxM1. Yeah right.

1 minute ago, Lawrence St said:

Back in 2020 when I had to go to EWR, I wanted to take one of the overnight BxM2's (that never had anyone on them) from Riverdale. Dude blew past my stop with a NIS sign up, I had to actually chase after him for a few blocks (thank god for the horrible timed lights on Riverdale Av) with luggage and a backpack until he finally pulled over and asked if I wanted the bus. His excuse was no one ever rides his trip and he thought I was waiting for the BxM1. Yeah right.

The driver should have stopped to check just in case, though he’s not wrong about people using the 1 more than the 2. Still doesn’t excuse him skipping the stop outright.

39 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

The driver should have stopped to check just in case, though he’s not wrong about people using the 1 more than the 2. Still doesn’t excuse him skipping the stop outright.

Nor blatantly having the NIS sign up. That would infuriate me more as it sounds like it was premeditated. 

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

On a side note is it possible to take a carry-on bag on the express buses? I've been wondering about this because I typically take the LIRR and local bus because I'm worried about getting yelled at or being unable to make it on or off the bus with it.

1 hour ago, IAlam said:

On a side note is it possible to take a carry-on bag on the express buses? I've been wondering about this because I typically take the LIRR and local bus because I'm worried about getting yelled at or being unable to make it on or off the bus with it.

Sure why not. You may have to use the overhead racks to store it if the bus is packed. Otherwise, the bus operator won’t even bat an eye. 

1 hour ago, IAlam said:

Possible? Yes. Wouldn't recommend it though.

7 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

Sure why not. You may have to use the overhead racks to store it if the bus is packed. Otherwise, the bus operator won’t even bat an eye. 

The overhead space isn't big enough for a carry-on luggage bag. It'd have to stay on the seat next to him.

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

A lot of drivers at the time were doing whatever they wanted. I remember one time I was waiting for a bus (forgot which route) but because my mask wasn’t covering my nose the guy skipped the stopped and I reported the dude. It wasn’t like I didn’t have a mask but since it was warm at the time I also wasn’t going to wait at the stop in 85 degree weather while struggling to breathe. 

Edited by NewFlyer 230

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Waited for the Q36 at the terminal once and the op dropped his passengers off, puts up NIS, and drives away. Was not fun waiting another 30 minutes for a bus. 

2 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Possible? Yes. Wouldn't recommend it though.

The overhead space isn't big enough for a carry-on luggage bag. It'd have to stay on the seat next to him.

Why don’t we allow customers to use the bottom luggage compartments?