BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This morning I got a ride on 3607 on the Q72.

What they did to that bus was horrible. They repainted it with the old NYCT Orion VII OG scheme (with the white around the rear door, exterior).

They also whitebacked it :mad:.

It makes me jealous because they gave 3606 the new scheme & 3608 a whiteback but the old MTAB scheme.

Here are some pics (click numbers to veiw images):

Win1.jpg Win2.jpg Win3.jpg Win4.jpg

:)

The bus just got repainted. You know which other buses have no black paint? Essentially every NYCT O7. I'd bet you dollars to doughnuts that the MTA won't randomly bring it back to the shop just to put on a new scheme, when plenty of other buses need a new coat of paint. I'd be happy! The NYCT scheme is much cleaner and better looking, imo.

Look at 4P's profile, I posted CS's buses that I saw has no black paint which are supposed to.

View my profile to see an image of Orion V 661 burned to a crisp!

Photo's ILoveMyRDOs. He works at CS as a B/O.

What do you mean that they're supposed to?

There are three schemes: decal, NYCT whiteback, blackback. There are six or seven O7s with black sides and a whiteback, and that's where the oddities end. If it's freshly whitebacked, it's probably not getting decaled. Decal buses have a lot of other changes: no stripes on the doors, etc. --> it's not just a case of the normal NYCT whiteback and then decals on it.

OG's frpm 6690-6905 have black sides, but CS and some other depots whitebacked the buses and repainted the sides white!

Weird day today:

First I saw #6870 on the (Q46) then #6895 w/ another #68XX as well. Then I rode #9566 w/o a depot sticker but I'll assume it came fron fresh pond. Later on I saw #4932 on the (Q46) again (260th Street bound). Then on bus back I saw a CS OG #6894 on the (Q27). Later on I saw #5038 out of Jamaica on the (Q46). Later I saw #9566 again this time on the (Q83). A short while after I saw both #8793 & #9287 @ archer where the N4, Q42 & (Q84) start at. At least for #9287 I saw it go up 153rd Street. A few minutes after #9122 popped up with Q85 LTD signs on it.:eek: Then while I was on the (Q83) home I saw that bus live up to the signage placed on it after all as It's destination sign read: (Q85) Limted & etc.

Totally a weird day for buses to get traded around like they today.

Finally get to ride a Q5 to Green Acres... went to refill my MetroCard for Thursday and when I get to the back, everything seems normal, other than some scratchitti. When the bus gets closer to the City Line, what else is there but a giant [organ] on that last right window before the back door?

This past Saturday I finally seen the Cummins service center in The Bronx. I found it by mistake actually, I was riding the Q44 and happen to glance over and saw it. The lot is filled up with MTA OG/NG hybrids, some Nova Artics and Bee - Line NABIs, there was a LOT of buses there, I guess that explains why I see MTA buses @ the Cummins center in Newark.

I Heard that CAT has a service center in The Bronx too, I'm curious to see it lol.

I think the DD one is in Ronkonma, I doubt its within walking distance of the train station though.

Working at these diesel engine service centers sounds like a lot of fun from a outsider, dig in Buses and Trucks guts all day, wooo! :cool:

Ronkonkoma is way too far out on LI, even from me. Maybe lilbluefoxie or Amtrak7 are closer, but Ronkonkoma is still a ways away from the Nassau-Suffolk border.

I finally got my first RTS ride - 9003 on the Q27. When I had to ride the 27 again yesterday, part of Springfield Boulevard near the Grand Central (?) was under construction and the upper layer of the street was gone. I didn't even feel a thing and the RTS just kept trucking on through it. My only gripe is that the (MTA) still aims to retire these things and replace them with low floors.