BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

I appreciate the response. Just a few more questions since bus and train service patters are my main interest.. ;)

1. Does it show the Bx55 via 161 St? checkmatechamp13 scanned his 1993 map last year and it still showed that branch, even though the early '90s subway maps didn't.

2. Was the Bx26 Bedford Park branch a weekday only terminal, while the Fordham Ctr was a regular terminal?

3. Did the Bx1 travel to Riverdale/246 St? Did the Bx42 terminate at Balcom or Davis?

Thanks again.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Forgive me if this has been answered before.....

Can anybody define a headsign i saw on one of the pics on this site VIA 1-2-3-4-5?

Does it weave through the numbered streets or avenues?

Thanks

Nope. That sign is only used by buses that loop through Co-Op City (typically the Bx23 and the Q50). Here's the thing. Co-Op City is divided into sections referred to by numbers (Section 1, Section 2, etc). VIA 1-2-3-4-5 means that the bus serves all five sections of Co-Op City, in order starting at Section 1 and terminating in or after passing through Section 5.

I appreciate the response. Just a few more questions since bus and train service patters are my main interest.. ;)

1. Does it show the Bx55 via 161 St? checkmatechamp13 scanned his 1993 map last year and it still showed that branch, even though the early '90s subway maps didn't.

2. Was the Bx26 Bedford Park branch a weekday only terminal, while the Fordham Ctr was a regular terminal?

3. Did the Bx1 travel to Riverdale/246 St? Did the Bx42 terminate at Balcom or Davis?

Thanks again.

1. Yes, the Bx55 ran across 161st during rush hours to Yankee Staduim during this time.I'm guessing it wasn't shown on subway maps because the (MTA) then realized that the branch was not part of the 3 Ave Elevated.

2. Both the Bedford Park Blvd Branch and the branch to Fordham and Kingsbridge Roads are listed as full time branches.

3. The Bx1 terminated at it's current terminal at Riverdale Ave and 231st. However, the back side of the map has a list of all of the Rush Hour/ School day trippers. Whenever I can, I will look at the map and check to see if there was a Bx1 tripper to 246st Riverdale.

I will also get the information you requested on the Bx42 service whenever I

find the map again.

Feel free to ask any other questions.

This morning while my B8 was sitting at the red light, a BADASS (Not its sucks bad, Micheal Jackson bad!) tow truck equipped with a train horn was hauling ass though the middle of the road, blew though the red light and the driver had a few honks on the train horn on the truck. ish was awesome man!!!!! That truck had so much swag too!!! The redneck in me came out and I'm black! This was near the end of the route @ the dtyer heights end.

As someone who admittity a big time truck foamer, seeing that def had me foamin'

It looked something like this who those who are curious...

http://www.fleetsaleswest.com/images/cwl_truck_20071103.jpg

It would be even more awesome if he or she who the driving that truck was listening to this....

I will also get the information you requested on the Bx42 service whenever I find the map again.

Feel free to ask any other questions.

Thanks for the responses. I have more.

1. Did the Bx30 travel to 204 St and then Webster Av Co-op City bound or is it like today's pattern?

2. Did the Bx28 short-turns at Jerome Av exist? Was the Fordham Ctr terminal a weekday and Saturday-only terminal?

3. Any details about the Bx29? Was it only City Island and Pelham Bay or it was extended to Bay Plaza?

4. Was the Bx35 terminating at Whitlock Av at that time or at West Farms Rd?

Answers are truly appreciated. :tup:

Thanks for the responses. I have more.

1. Did the Bx30 travel to 204 St and then Webster Av Co-op City bound or is it like today's pattern?

2. Did the Bx28 short-turns at Jerome Av exist? Was the Fordham Ctr terminal a weekday and Saturday-only terminal?

3. Any details about the Bx29? Was it only City Island and Pelham Bay or it was extended to Bay Plaza?

4. Was the Bx35 terminating at Whitlock Av at that time or at West Farms Rd?

Answers are truly appreciated. :tup:

1. I didn't even notice this untill now, the Bx30 did run to Webster, then to Gun Hill Rd

2. The short turn at Moshulu pkwy and Jerome ave was up to 3 times for frequent at times than to Fordham. During rush hours, buses to Fordam rd ranged between every 15-20 minutes weekdays. No Sunday service like you said to Fordam Rd. Some buses also short turned at 206st and Bainbridge.

3. The Bx12 and Bx29 both went to Bay Plaza but didn't go inside where all the stores are. The last stop was Edison and Baychester Ave right off the freeway.

4. the Bx35 terminated at West Farms Rd.

on the previous questions I have not answered...

The Bx42 terminated at Balcom Ave

All Bx1 buses terminated at 231st and Riverdal ave

1. For #3, was it something like this?

September 1999

2. IF the Bx5 still traveled to Pelham Parkway (5) at that time, was it a rush hour only service? If all buses ended at Pelham Bay, ignore this question.

3. Did the Bx6 have a weird branch like this?

February 1984, credit to Harry.

4. Was the Bx13 truncated to Yankee Stadium? The 1993 map shows that it didn't go past Yankee Stadium.

Sorry for the bizarre questions. ;)

1. For #3, was it something like this?

September 1999

2. IF the Bx5 still traveled to Pelham Parkway (5) at that time, was it a rush hour only service? If all buses ended at Pelham Bay, ignore this question.

3. Did the Bx6 have a weird branch like this?

February 1984, credit to Harry.

4. Was the Bx13 truncated to Yankee Stadium? The 1993 map shows that it didn't go past Yankee Stadium.

Sorry for the bizarre questions. ;)

1. No, the buses just ended at the freeway exit on the map.

2.Route terminated at Pelham Bay Pk

3. The Bx6 did not have the crazy bus pattern shown, they just ended at the very end of Food Ctr drive

4. Bx13 service to 3 ave during rush hours existed during this time

For a while I had forgotten how FOREVER the S79 takes from end to end ;)

Also, on the B46, it would seem that reverse-peaks buses during the PM Rush actually fill up nicely. However, sometimes you'll see several crowded buses and a couple of empty buses. The B46 Northbound during the PM Rush runs like wild fire, so of course bunching isn't all that out of the question.

Aside from lack of a convenient place to turn buses around, could the (MTA) consider Fulton St short-turns on the B46? During Rush Hour, the B46 has short-turns at Eastern Pkwy and there are the standard DeKalb Avenue short-turns, but it's actually kind of surprising how many people can pack on at Fulton St.

@Kingsbridge: I won't ask more questions after this since... I have no idea what to ask. Again, thanks for your time. :tup:

1. Bx30 buses terminated at Bellamy Loop or at its current terminal?

2. Bx10 traveled, in both directions, via Bailey Ave or with the Bx1 before turning at Goulden Av?

3. Did the Q44 go to Bronx Park South or at West Farms Sq?

4. Bx21 traveled to Eastchester Rd with the Bx31 to Westchester Sq or served Waters Pl? If the latter happened, then the Bx14 no longer served that area then.

5. Bx22's Bedford Pk terminal was part time or full time?

IRT Bronx Express: The Bx15 sign should read:

Bx15 West Harlem/12 Avenue

Bx15 via 3 Ave/via 125 St

I remember seeing that a few years back. The Bx15 is the only route to travel the entire lengh of 125 Street.

Ah, you're the same guy that posted a similar message in this thread last year. ;) I'll correct the flipdot sign one day.

For a while I had forgotten how FOREVER the S79 takes from end to end ;)

Also, on the B46, it would seem that reverse-peaks buses during the PM Rush actually fill up nicely. However, sometimes you'll see several crowded buses and a couple of empty buses. The B46 Northbound during the PM Rush runs like wild fire, so of course bunching isn't all that out of the question.

Aside from lack of a convenient place to turn buses around, could the (MTA) consider Fulton St short-turns on the B46? During Rush Hour, the B46 has short-turns at Eastern Pkwy and there are the standard DeKalb Avenue short-turns, but it's actually kind of surprising how many people can pack on at Fulton St.

Seems like the B46 has too many short turn runs from what I hear and not enough going to the Plaza. As for the S79, that line suffers from terrible management. How can a dispatcher be on the line and still have S79s running in packs of 2 - 3 at a time?? Then when they arrive, instead of trying to even out the spacing, the guy lets them go on bunched up just as they are. :confused: He will however hold some of the express buses, but he holds buses like the X1 when they run 5 minutes apart, which then contributes to them bunching later on down the line, as that X1 that he holds then becomes bogged down with passengers. :)

LIRR running 4 minutes EARLY plus N79 running 10 minutes late equals me getting home half an hour earlier than normal!

Also this trip (18:00) seems to be a lot busier than the later ones, which connect with more of the peak-of-the-peak trains. And there were several boardings eastbound east of Hicksville, a somewhat rarity.

It seems like many more LIB passengers have insufficient fare on their cards than NYCT passengers.

As for the S79, that line suffers from terrible management. How can a dispatcher be on the line and still have S79s running in packs of 2 - 3 at a time?? Then when they arrive, instead of trying to even out the spacing, the guy lets them go on bunched up just as they are. :confused: He will however hold some of the express buses, but he holds buses like the X1 when they run 5 minutes apart, which then contributes to them bunching later on down the line, as that X1 that he holds then becomes bogged down with passengers. :(

Eh, I'm not all that familiar with the X1 and S79 to the point where I can muse about scheduling and dispatching. The S79 is kinda long from end to end, definitely. The others can help you with your queries B)

Seems like the B46 has too many short turn runs from what I hear and not enough going to the Plaza.

Really? because the runs going to Kings Plaza during PM Rush actually aren't that bad. For the first part of PM Rush, the vast majority of the B46 trips (local and LTD) run down to the Plaza. It's not really until after 6 PM-ish that the short turns to Avenue H start cropping up (for both the local and LTD). Going up from the Plaza, people line up to board each B46 in good numbers, despite the fact that buses arrive almost like fire. Granted, you do have to consider that some buses are going out of service and slinking off to the depot at the same time.

I do wish there were Fulton Street short-turns added. It gives service to the crowd about Eastern Parkway without having to go all the way up to DeKalb. Seriously, I can't stress how many people will just pack on Fulton Street.

The (MTA) is appearently going to add some AM Rush Hour, although I'm curious if it will be short-turns to/from Avenue H or to Kings Plaza.

B46Serviceincrease.png

Still, it beats the B41. As you know, the B41 is split-branch to Bergen Beach and Kings Plaza. It never hit me how quickly service lessens from the Plaza. From around 6-ish in the evening, the local and limited both taper down to 20 mins each, so hypothetically it's an even 10 min-headaway... except the schedule shows weekday service from Kings Plaza to be thus: (Local and Limited, respectively)

5:19 PM - 5:26 - 5:36 - 5:42 - 5:53 - 5:58 - 6:13 - 6:18 - 6:33 - 6:38 - 6:52 - 6:58 - 7:12 - 7:18 - 7:32 - 7:38 - 7:52 - 8:02 - 8:14

Not hard to see the unevenness in the timetable. You often have B41 buses coming, dropping off people, and then going OOS in great numbers. Even the B2 (yeah, I went there) seems to be more consistent. Of course, the B2 at that time runs 12 minutes compared to the combined 10 mins of the B41, so it's not so hard. (To be fair, the B41 probably is a lot more-delay prone)

Still funny how Kings Plaza has that much more weekend service than reverse-peak (and inverted with Bergen Beach.)

The implication (as true as it may or may not be) that Kings Plaza is that much more busier on the weekend than in the reverse-peak, (including summer), and vice-versea for Bergen Beach, just saddens me. :P

At the end of the day though, there's at least the Q35.

[/rant]

Edited by Mysterious2train

A question from left field. Does anyone recall which Brooklyn routes with trolley tracks had those tracks removed rather than paved over? I remember a few locations like Nostrand/Fulton and East New York/Rockaway where the pavement would wear out and the tracks would be exposed 15-20 years after trolley service ended. In my lifetime I 've never seen what method was used to remove those tracks and I'm still trying to figure it out.