BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

So I was walking to the B103 bus stop a couple of minutes ago since I needed it and the bus comes so I started to speed up a lily faster to catch it. The bus I'm on 742 (still got the soft seats so I was in for a comfortable ride) goes down the line and as we waiting to turn onto 17 St, 497 comes from the next lane over and passes us and make the turn first. We not catching that bus, its like they put steroids in that gas tank lol

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

That's sad to hear of 3941, which used to be at FB. I take it the potholes there have really 'cut up' the buses?

So I was walking to the B103 bus stop a couple of minutes ago since I needed it and the bus comes so I started to speed up a lily faster to catch it. The bus I'm on 742 (still got the soft seats so I was in for a comfortable ride) goes down the line and as we waiting to turn onto 17 St, 497 comes from the next lane over and passes us and make the turn first. We not catching that bus, its like they put steroids in that gas tank lol

got on 716 on the B100 and it also had soft seats, it was a pretty nice ride. A 49x bus passed by in the other direction and I saw another 49x bus going the other direction as I got off 716.

Sharing my future:

When I grow up, I want to work on the (MTA) New York City Bus at the Jackie Gleason or Ulmer Park Depots.

If I'd choose Jackie Gleason, I would choose a bus route where it travels through Chinatown with lots of Asian people. That route will be the B70, because the B70 does not run very frequently. Boy, do I have to wait for the B70 for so long. Once that happened to be and I waited for 30 minutes for it! There was only a single bus appeared, not a double-bus. I'm Chinese, and I can communicate with Chinese people who do not know how to speak English. Even though the B70 is not my favorite route, I want to drive it for some point. There are a lot of pedestrians there, so I will try by best to drive safe.

If I'd choose Ulmer Park, I would choose a bus route that usually doesn't get crowded that travels along Bath Av, 13th Av, and Bay Ridge Av. That route will be the B64. If the bus gets overpopulated, then problems start like people shoving each other because they're squished. I want to drive the B1 too, but I dislike the traffic between 25th Av and New Utrecht Av. Once, I was in my car, and one car does not want to move. I waited for 5 minutes for the car to move. Cars behind be are shouting like crazy. The B64 does not have a lot of buses, so I really wanted to make the route better!

It doesn't make sense to me, since you're right, those routes aren't nearly as stressful (I mean, the M8?) as what you see at FB and other NG depots, and Quill generally has great maintenance on top of that. I keep getting NGs on Quill routes recently, and it's the same story every time -- bottoming out on the bumps and taking potholes badly. 3941 just had to be the worst I've seen, never actually been on a bus where a bump was so bad it felt like a crash. Starting to wonder if it's just the ride quality of the early NGs, since there's no reason the ride should be that awful on a decently-maintained bus on easy routes. Quill's RTSes and even their OGs feel like limousines on the same routes.

Enough of my b!tching though. I just wonder if it's a problem around the city at all, from what I've heard the JFK NGs are starting to show the same problems, but then again, JFK maintenance isn't exactly tip-top on ride.

I wonder if the fact that those 3900s are the way they are is because they originated from Brooklyn. Not saying Flatbush is bad (they're okay in my eyes, but the depot seems small to accommodate and maintain heavy-used lines), but maybe they just didn't have a good start at Flatbush prior to being transferred. The same can be said for the 3800s that were at Castleton.

They've been at Manhattan for a good 1-2 years now. It's not like they spent 2 years in Brooklyn and SI and moved to Manhattan for just 2 months. so I doubt it's the fault of the other depots.

Then again maybe the NGs just aren't cut out for the harsh Manhattan streets? The RTSs are much older yet still run fine. Of course hf vs lf, apples and oranges.

I question the overall maintenance of Manhattanville to be honest. They get some of the better buses (at least they have over the years) and they don't do that great in terms of upkeep.

I ride MHV buses almost daily, and overall the maintenance is not that bad at all. Manhattanville also has the oldest hybrids in the system too.

I wonder if the fact that those 3900s are the way they are is because they originated from Brooklyn. Not saying Flatbush is bad (they're okay in my eyes, but the depot seems small to accommodate and maintain heavy-used lines), but maybe they just didn't have a good start at Flatbush prior to being transferred. The same can be said for the 3800s that were at Castleton.

Some of those 3900's started off in Staten Island too. All the ones with the older lead acid batteries were over there.

You ask me, those first OGs are the strongest buses in the MHV fleet. The 6380-6424 batch especially, which (correct me if my memory's wrong) started out at MHV all of 9 years ago. The 6360s and 6370s seem to have a lot of trouble accelerating for whatever reason, but the 6380s and up are solid buses. They definitely accelerate as hard as any other MHV buses (save for 4430, which is a rocket), and the ride on those has held up pretty well. From what I hear from the B/Os too, those are the best to operate. It's getting even better with some of the buses being rehabbed, 6416 just had its engine rebuilt and it flies now; you've also got 6395/6405 which just got rehabbed and decaled and now have those old school RTS seats in them.

Yep, those are all MHV originals. Some of the 6360's run pretty well. Was on 6366 (bus #2) a week ago, and it was doing quite well.

As for 4430, definitely a rocket like it's stablemate 4429 which I caught on the M116 last week.

So today was an interesting day as far as bus types go.

This morning, an S89 and S44 pulled in at the same time. I got on the S89, but when I got off at my normal stop, I decided to take the S44 instead of walking. I had this sudden urge to contribute to the ridership of both the S44 and S89 :P, and also to ride that Orion V on the S44 (the S89 was an O7)

After school, the S46 was an O7, but at the stop I got off at, the bus behind it was an O5. (And it also was emptier so I wouldn't have had to stand if I got on)

So after that, I caught an LFS on the S48 ("Boo!" :tdown: ), but I made up for it by catching an O5 on the S48, and then an O5 on the S94 I transferred to. :tup: (I was also lucky to catch that S48. A bunch of people were transferring from the S53 and ran across the street against the light, but I felt I couldn't make it. Fortunately, the B/O waited for me to cross safely. :tup: )

Caught an Xcelsior 4887 on the S53 without even having to look for it, and now I'm on Orion 5 9856 on the B16 again out of pure luck :tup:

Yeah, they seem to be running a lot of Xcelsiors on the S53.

In any case, I caught an O5 on the S44 this morning and one on the S46 in the afternoon. :tup: I usually leave around the same time so hopefully they leave them on the runs that I use.

BTW, in the "Social Clubs", is there an O5 fanclub? I'm too lazy to check.

In any case, I caught an O5 on the S44 this morning and one on the S46 in the afternoon. :tup: I usually leave around the same time so hopefully they leave them on the runs that I use.

BTW, in the "Social Clubs", is there an O5 fanclub? I'm too lazy to check.

There should be, you'd have to look for it. But if you have a Facebook account, there is an Orion 5 fan page that you can join.

I happen to find the Xcelsiors most of the time on the S48, S51 and S76 as well as the S53.

Yeah, I got one on the S53 this morning while on my way to meet up with the X14. They're also running a lot of them on the S54 too.