BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL, in the end. I hope it's Designline. But these VanHool AG300s, look damm nice...

Question: This order for 90 test buses, is it 90 40ft buses or 90 artic. buses. 

Supposed to be 90 40-foot buses, right?

DesignLine is nothing to write home about either. Their build quality is a joke. Even the non-hybrid-powertrain part of their buses for Baltimore was awful. They had frame cracks and HVAC failures. Between MTS being pretty much done, VanHool building toy buses and DesignLine holding their buses together with tape, this 90 bus order is a waste of money. Whoever it goes to, the MTA will get 90 buses that will last as long as a Kardashian wedding.

And DesignLine's website hasn't been updated in 3 years.

DesignLine is nothing to write home about either. Their build quality is a joke. Even the non-hybrid-powertrain part of their buses for Baltimore was awful. They had frame cracks and HVAC failures. Between MTS being pretty much done, VanHool building toy buses and DesignLine holding their buses together with tape, this 90 bus order is a waste of money. Whoever it goes to, the MTA will get 90 buses that will last as long as a Kardashian wedding.

LMFAOOOOOOOO oohh mann this made my night  :D  :D  :P  :lol:

lmfaoo your dead serious...

The Designlines we had were pretty good despite the shortcomings of the powertrain. The build quality seemed to be pretty solid on our units.

Man, you made my evening.

In the defense of Designline, the vehicles Baltimore ordered were of a different size and model.

So they can fall apart after one year of service in NYC? Do any of the depots wanna work with that tight mid-engine placement and lopsided axles? And the seating capacity is below what NFI and Nova buses give. But then again, MTS can't even build one working bus, so why not. It's only 90 buses.

The seating capacity depends on how they're ordered. Here in Utrecht, The Netherlands the AG300 have more seats than a regular AG300 so it's possible to order them that way. The mid-engines are not a problem here either but of course, in NYC the repair men need training for that so I understand that that may be a buzz kill.

Rode c40lf 592 on the Q35 this morning. Caught me off guard as from the distance I thought it was a B9. Oh well, still a nice change from the typical all hyshit fleet. Saw a couple of artics on the B44 as well.

I wonder what they are doing at FB with the sidewalks, the construction is very inconvenient and reduces it down to basically a single lane causing the whole area to clog up. And because of the construction, a bunch of ppl got on the Bergen Beach bound bus and later had to get off when they saw the bus make the left on Av N because they wanted the KP bound bus. smh, I still say they should have a B41a and B41b. If people aren't going to bother reading the signs, at least try to make it easier for them to get the hint (this line) is not going to (this destination).

Edited by Grand Concourse

Guest Charles

who actually got stumped with my riddle in the bus riddle regarding the Q15/15A if i didn't give you all the clues

No one got stumped - it was worded so badly & vaguely that any answer would've worked until you specified the borough.

Rode c40lf 592 on the Q35 this morning. Caught me off guard as from the distance I thought it was a B9. Oh well, still a nice change from the typical all hyshit fleet. Saw a couple of artics on the B44 as well.

I wonder what they are doing at FB with the sidewalks, the construction is very inconvenient and reduces it down to basically a single lane causing the whole area to clog up. And because of the construction, a bunch of ppl got on the Bergen Beach bound bus and later had to get off when they saw the bus make the left on Av N because they wanted the KP bound bus. smh, I still say they should have a B41a and B41b. If people aren't going to bother reading the signs, at least try to make it easier for them to get the hint (this line) is not going to (this destination).

If people aren't reading the signs as you've already admitted, then adding that still won't make a difference... Remember the M34/M34A story...??? 

:shrugs: I think it's kinda straitforward: B41a = KP, B41B = Bergen beach. If people can deal with the Q20a/b, I don't see why it can't work with the B41. If people are typical B41 riders and they see the suffix, they should know what bus is what if they don't bother reading. It doesn't matter to me other than the people holding the bus for a few seconds asking for a transfer and getting off the first stop.

M16 vs M34a, well I dunno about that one since I hardly use it, but that was 2 unrelated lines merged under the M34 name, so it's kinda different. The B41 is 2 branches under one name that should be split.

Edited by Grand Concourse

And because of the construction, a bunch of ppl got on the Bergen Beach bound bus and later had to get off when they saw the bus make the left on Av N because they wanted the KP bound bus. smh, I still say they should have a B41a and B41b. If people aren't going to bother reading the signs, at least try to make it easier for them to get the hint (this line) is not going to (this destination).

People never read the signs anyway, except for the few who make an effort, so oh well. They can either get off at 45th when the bus makes the left onto Avenue N (then wait for the KP 41 or the B9), or go to Utica and pickup the 46 which frequents 10 times better and more reliable.

I have a pet peeve of mine with the first trip on the 46, doing an LTD to Eastern Parkway.

Folks asking me, "excuse me, driver - you're only going to Eastern Parkway?"... then when I give them a sarcastic answer, they get mad. You did the right thing by reading the sign, but still want to ask me if I'm going to Eastern Parkway only. Fuccking dumbasses.

:shrugs: I think it's kinda straitforward: B41a = KP, B41B = Bergen beach. If people can deal with the Q20a/b, I don't see why it can't work with the B41. If people are typical B41 riders and they see the suffix, they should know what bus is what if they don't bother reading. It doesn't matter to me other than the people holding the bus for a few seconds asking for a transfer and getting off the first stop.

M16 vs M34a, well I dunno about that one since I hardly use it, but that was 2 unrelated lines merged under the M34 name, so it's kinda different. The B41 is 2 branches under one name that should be split.

The M34/M34A pretty much run the same route except for at the ends so clearly the (MTA) sees the two routes as branches, but in any event my point was that it doesn't matter what you put on the sign because if people don't read it then they'll still get on the wrong bus anyway.

People never read the signs anyway, except for the few who make an effort, so oh well. They can either get off at 45th when the bus makes the left onto Avenue N (then wait for the KP 41 or the B9), or go to Utica and pickup the 46 which frequents 10 times better and more reliable.

I have a pet peeve of mine with the first trip on the 46, doing an LTD to Eastern Parkway.

Folks asking me, "excuse me, driver - you're only going to Eastern Parkway?"... then when I give them a sarcastic answer, they get mad. You did the right thing by reading the sign, but still want to ask me if I'm going to Eastern Parkway only. Fuccking dumbasses.

Well unfortunately you're always going to get those types of people... They're obnoxious and act as if they're "over-precautious" and will ask if you're going to such and such place no matter how big the sign is and I think some of them do it just because they're lazy and attention starved.  Happens all of the time with the BxM1 and BxM2.  They get on asking if said bus goes to such and such place when each bus stop has maps showing the stops that are made. Both lines have less than 10 stops in the city so it isn't that hard to figure out. WEST MIDTOWN & EAST MIDTOWN....  <_<

The only time that there can be confusion is if the sign is messed up but that happens so rarely these days that that is really not a problem. I'd say it's more of an issue on the subway than anything when trains are suddenly re-routed.

Not that I'm aware of. We're only running artics on the 44 during the morning, and they have be pulled in before the PM segment starts because that's when our shuttle work begins on the A (since we lost the hawks and the AM work).

And if the guy saw an LFSA going north on Utica, then likely pulling out to JFK Airport.