BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

I did say that not all those systems are from CD, the fact is every other major transit system uses automated announcements whether they're from CD, Orbital, Avail Technologies or whatever. And of course they're gonna bitch about them and they'll win, they're f**king Route 9 commuters. but local bus riders in the city will have no excuse. I'm all for silencing them on the Prevosts and MCIs though.

You have to understand, the MTA hasa fleet of about 5800 buses. The closest bus fleet size in the US comes in about half that amount. You can't really compare another fleet to the MTA's in terms of possible modification, especially when it's not even half the size...

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does the M60 do this every time it crosses the bridge? Who pays for it?

Yup, the M60 and anything else that uses a toll bridge/tunnel use EZPass to get across the bridges, and since they're owned by the MTA I assume the toll is free. As for the runs that go into NJ, I don't know if the Turnpike/Port Authority charge the MTA but I would say they do.

And the commuters on the 139 have already started bitching about it. When they get their way (notice that I said "when" and not "if") those announcements will be silenced. Don't underestimate the Route 9 commuters.

And I don't blame them... After working 8 hours or more in the office, the last thing I want to hear is some loud and often garbled announcement that is not only killing my ears, but that I can't even understand anyway, so it's sort of counterproductive.  Some B/Os out of Yonkers make the announcements, but usually very low and I generally can't understand anything they say, but at least it's low so it doesn't disturb me too much.  

What about MTA Bustime (BTW Bustime is a trademark of Clever Devices, interesting how there's no lawsuits) allows them to change it to tailor to the MTA's needs? Clever Devices offers additional programs on their IVN computer like maintenance diagnostics (which the MTA already uses), on board GPS-based automated stop announcements and LED information signs, the countdown clocks (which I'm not a fan of but it's still a feature). Yes, it's proprietary software, but in this situation that works because Clever Devices can offer so many solutions on 1 computer system using proven software developed by transit technology professionals and used by pretty much every top transit system in the country EXCEPT the MTA. WMATA, CTA, NJT, most of LACMTA's fleet, who do they trust for "smart bus" systems? Clever Devices.  The MTA is very limited as to what they can do with that open-source software aside from delivering the customers the (sometimes VERY off) location of the buses.

Bus Time was developed in house and designed specifically for the (MTA).  

They are used in the buses for the maintenance diagnostics system and the random announcements/"please exit through the rear door". The current Bustime, AFAIK, is run from a different computer.

Sorry dude, but automated stop announcements are the future and are in place in every other major transit system in the nation (not only including the Clever Devices systems). If NJT can put in a Clever Devices system with those announcements at every stop (plus the random crap that goes off every 10 minutes) on the damn 139, they can be installed in MTA buses.

They may be but that doesn't mean they're cared for.  I don't know what happened on the BM express buses, but the newer ones had those annoying automated announcements about the fare and assault on B/Os.... Ridiculous how many times they played those damn announcements on one trip.  I mean it was like every 15 mins. I mean really it was like torture.  I'm glad they stopped using them and I wouldn't be surprised if it was due to people writing in and complaining.

And I don't blame them... After working 8 hours or more in the office, the last thing I want to hear is some loud and often garbled announcement that is not only killing my ears, but that I can't even understand anyway, so it's sort of counterproductive.  Some B/Os out of Yonkers make the announcements, but usually very low and I generally can't understand anything they say, but at least it's low so it doesn't disturb me too much.  

Bus Time was developed in house and designed specifically for the (MTA).  

They may be but that doesn't mean they're cared for.  I don't know what happened on the BM express buses, but the newer ones had those annoying automated announcements about the fare and assault on B/Os.... Ridiculous how many times they played those damn announcements on one trip.  I mean it was like every 15 mins. I mean really it was like torture.  I'm glad they stopped using them and I wouldn't be surprised if it was due to people writing in and complaining.

1. Bustime was developed by some open source software developers under the name OneBusAway. OpenPlans (the "hippies"), a open-source software consulting firm of some sort, used that platform for MTA Bustime and hired Verifone to install equipment on the buses. It was not developed in-house, it was developed by someone completely unaffiliated with the MTA and chosen by an MTA consultant to be the platform for "MTA Bustime". Anyone can use the OneBusAway system, but you notice that most major transit systems opt for systems made by Clever Devices, Orbital, etc. instead as they are the proven higher-quality, more reliable systems and integrate the real-time tracking with other "smart bus" features into one on-board system.

2. Maybe not on your oh-so-wonderful express bus they aren't cared for, but on local buses around the nation auto announcement systems are used and the customers actually benefit from them, rather than having mumbled stop announcements from the B/O (or in most cases no announcement at all), they hear clear GPS-based announcements from the computer. I didn't hear any complaints about them on the M34/A, in fact people were upset when they took the Clever Devices out and replaced them with MTA Bustime. I'll agree that we don't need them on the express buses, they can have the LED signs but the auto announcements would be (and are) considered annoying by most express riders.

Requested for a change of assignment from my regular run tomorrow... and got the 41. 

God help me.  :mellow:

What's your regular assignment? The B41 is that bad, for those who will ask.

IMO, should have asked for the B49 LTD...

Edited by Threxx

The 41 shouldnt be that bad, are artics allowed on the 41 yet or just 44?

You're smoking. You go drive that shit then.

What's your regular assignment? The B41 is that bad, for those who will ask.

IMO, should have asked for the B49 LTD...

I'm always on the 46 (ALWAYS).

And there's no such thing as asking for an 49 LTD. Number 1: that's AM work, and if the runs are covered there, then I can't get it; Number 2. we have hybrid schedules, where you may have one trip that's local to Downtown, then come out as an LTD, and vice versa when you get to the other end; it's all how the runs are setup. Some runs have LTD all day, some have local day.

I got stuck with 1 round LTD and 1 round local tomorrow, then switch over to the 46 later in the evening for one local round trip.

Not that I'm aware of. We're only running artics on the 44 during the morning, and they have be pulled in before the PM segment starts because that's when our shuttle work begins on the A (since we lost the hawks and the AM work).

And if the guy saw an LFSA going north on Utica, then likely pulling out to JFK Airport.

That's odd, I caught one earlier this evening:

[yes, is blurry]

078_zps4b4c5abf.jpg

Speaking off the bus today, I saw New Flyer from College Point on Q53 Bus at Woodsdie around 8:40ish.

Saw this earlier, I didn't want to create a whole thread for it since its one crappy photo. But its proof.

022512-00CR_zps51492929.jpg

I think the last time this happened Triboro was still around...

I saw this kind of bus at 61st St-Woodside on Q53 around 8:40s

Edited by FamousNYLover