BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're just an unlucky motherf****r.

And the (4) still sucks.

Lmao, I hope you get locked in the train of many colors with the SSB and Dj.

The entire IRT sucks to ride, period. All lines have their own damn problems like 24/7 (with the exception of the (S) ). If one line has delays, the rest of the IRT will also suffer.

Like the same can't be said for the rest of the B division...

Like the same can't be said for the rest of the B division...

If there's a delay on let's say : the (C) Train at 42 street broke down, it will only delay the the (A) , (C) , and (E) to an extent, while it does bring frustration, riders could easily go back uptown if it goes express downtown.

Now, if a (2) train brakes down at Atlantic Avenue, you will delay all the (2) 's and (3) 's behind it, and to go around, you will delay the (4) 's and (5) 's, around it, and when that happens, the Lex is already overloaded with people, people will start jumping onto the (6) trains, delaying the (6)'s more, and on 7th Avenue, all the (1) 's will have the same fate, or some may just choose to flip-flop between lines using the (7)(S). The way the IRT was build, made it easier for the entire division to get bottlenecked. Don't get me started about the interlockings in the Bronx, another factor that screws both lines up.

Anyways, going back to topic....

Unrelated question why don't express buses give/accept paper transfers

I have no idea, maybe its just to promote the fact of using metro cards, or because its not expected for people to transfer to/from another bus to the express in quantities that are significant or something. Maybe it has to do with the fare box? I've been wanting to know that answer too for the longest I could remember.

QM15 didn't arrive 63 Drive yet, it was supposed to pass at 1:23 and its 1:40. It's gonna be one of those huge LIE pile up does. Ill just make sure I get to Manhattan at 4:00 PM if I take the BM5 in like 12 minutes.

I missed the memo..... When did you become a regular express bus rider?

Aside from that, what you're talking about w/ the LIE, is what I looked forward to when I used to take the QM16 home... Slow moving traffic, and we usually saw two 15's (sometimes back to back, sometimes within yards or so away), and the 11 in the distance)... The moment relief was sensed, was when we hit the (A) train (when woodhaven turns into X-bay)....

X-Bay still had hangups, but we usually made that one stop (159th) & then it was off to the races (lol) heading towards B 116th.... Of course, putting up w/ the Q35 was always fun.... 

I have no idea, maybe its just to promote the fact of using metro cards, or because its not expected for people to transfer to/from another bus to the express in quantities that are significant or something. Maybe it has to do with the fare box? I've been wanting to know that answer too for the longest I could remember.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk now Free

That's the idea of the thread.... Hence "Bus Random Thoughts"... lol To answer your question, it's a few things... A lot of folks don't transfer between express buses and if they do, they usually have a Metrocard.  If they pay in coins then it's usually just to get to or from the city since express buses are supposed to be commuter buses (as in TO AND FROM MANHATTAN).  Second, the same reason why the (MTA) doesn't accept regular unlimited Metrocards on the express bus and cut back on the hours in which seniors get discounts on the express bus... They want to maximize the amount of people paying $6.00 per ride or $55.00 (unlimited Express Bus Plus Metrocard) a week for the express bus.  The local bus fare is actually just $2.25 while the subway is $2.50.  Notice that there is no difference on the express bus... It's $6.00 whether you pay with with coins or with a pay-per-ride Metrocard.  The express buses along with Metro-North and the LIRR are all commuter services and represent the (MTA) 's "premium fare" services, so the idea is that people will pay more for those services, hence more restrictions.  Get an unlimited Express Bus Plus card like I have and you can ride all you want for $55.00 a week.  There was a monthly years ago, but the (MTA) got rid of it.  They claim it was too expensive to replace, but as far as I'm concerned, it was simply too good of a deal so they axed it.  On Staten Island, it's common for folks to transfer between express buses and I did it myself when I lived there, as our express buses are like subways to some extent. I still transfer between express buses a lot because of the places that I go to where the express bus is quicker.  Perfect example was the other day... I had a tutoring session in the Bronx... Coming from Riverdale, it would take me well over an hour to get to the Bronx.  With the express bus I cut a good 20 - 30 minutes.  I caught the BxM4 going towards Midtown, tracked my BxM2 express bus on BusTime and then caught that within minutes of getting off of the BxM4 and was in Riverdale in no time.  The whole thing took maybe 35 - 40 minutes versus an hour+ on the local buses or the local bus and the subway.

I missed the memo..... When did you become a regular express bus rider?

LMAO... 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

It was possible to luck out in the past, but I think less and less of that is happening, and to my knowledge they no longer stock the fareboxes with transfers.

Lmao, I hope you get locked in the train of many colors with the SSB and Dj.

How could you wish me such a horrible fate? Damn you, time to take acid and watch the psychedelic actions of the SSB on the train of Skittles and rainbows, lmfao.

Does anyone know whether Detroit Diesel has operations in Europe, and if so, when, roughly, was first introduced to said continent?

I believe Daimler AG has chosen to brand any Detroit Diesel products in use in European nations as Mercedes-Benz products, mainly do to regional familiarity with the Mercedes brand in Europe. I can't name a date but the Series 50 was marketed in Europe in the past, and that was prior to the Daimler's investment in Detroit Diesel in 2000.

That has nothing to do with it... You can still get a paper transfer on the local bus...

That was in reference to the fleet on express routes. Most of the time they don't bother to fill the slot on the MCI's

1.I missed the memo..... When did you become a regular express bus rider?

2.Aside from that, what you're talking about w/ the LIE, is what I looked forward to when I used to take the QM16 home... Slow moving traffic, and we usually saw two 15's (sometimes back to back, sometimes within yards or so away), and the 11 in the distance)... The moment relief was sensed, was when we hit the (A) train (when woodhaven turns into X-bay)....

3.X-Bay still had hangups, but we usually made that one stop (159th) & then it was off to the races (lol) heading towards B 116th.... Of course, putting up w/ the Q35 was always fun....

1. Hold On

MEMO

This paper has come to advise that:

Q23 Central Terminal

is a regular express bus rider

Effective: September 1, 2011

2. I would be horrified because what I do is take that last inbound BM5 on Saturdays, then take advantage if the transfer, and use it on the QM15 before the 2 hours 18 minutes are up. I would like to stay on the QM15 for more time (should've taken advantage of the QM12 and the QM15/BM5, although the QM15/BM5 was like a 15 minute walk, the QM12 stopped like on Yellowstone and Groton, that would've been my stop have I still lived along the QM12 corridor. Anyways, I only pay $6 (3 and 3) using the BM5 to QM15 transfer.

3. I've never taken that section of the Woodhaven Express (because I don't really need the QM16 at all), so I can't comment on it, but yeah buy taking the Q53, taking the bus down Cross Bay past 157 can be a real breeze.

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

That was in reference to the fleet on express routes. Most of the time they don't bother to fill the slot on the MCI's

They both use the same fareboxes... It just goes back to my point earlier of them wanting to maximize the amount that riders pay.  Various politicians have been screaming about the cost of the express bus going up for years now.  Vito Fossella did it on Staten Island when the fare went up to $5.00 and then $5.50, along with a few other politicians that say that their communities are held hostage by high express bus fares because they have few to no alternatives.  This has been a rule on express buses for as long as I can remember and part of it is also to get people to use Metrocards.  It slows us down tremendously when some jerk gets on with a sh*tload of coins.  The other day I had a tutoring session.  I get on the BxM2 and there's two people ahead of me.  One guy paid for himself and the other person... $12.00 in ****** coins!! And I don't mean quarters either... Dimes and nickels and whatever else he had...  <_< The B/O was clearly annoyed by it as was I, but since there are no subways nearby and very few stores that sell Metrocards unfortunately it's a problem that occurs in Riverdale just the way it happens on Staten Island.  Some want the express buses to accept dollar bills at the least, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.  Maybe when smartcards come out some changes will happen.

1. Hold On

MEMO

This paper has come to advise that:

Q23 Central Terminal

is a regular express bus rider

Effective: September 1, 2011

Really?? I never knew you were a regular express bus rider.... Occasional and regular are two different things... I'm a regular rider and ride almost daily if not every day... Hell I even used the express buses on Christmas, although briefly...

They both use the same fareboxes... It just goes back to my point earlier of them wanting to maximize the amount that riders pay.  Various politicians have been screaming about the cost of the express bus going up for years now.  Vito Fossella did it on Staten Island when the fare went up to $5.00 and then $5.50, along with a few other politicians that say that their communities are held hostage by high express bus fares because they have few to no alternatives.  This has been a rule on express buses for as long as I can remember and part of it is also to get people to use Metrocards.  It slows us down tremendously when some jerk gets on with a sh*tload of coins.  The other day I had a tutoring session.  I get on the BxM2 and there's two people ahead of me.  One guy paid for himself and the other person... $12.00 in ****** coins!! And I don't mean quarters either... Dimes and nickels and whatever else he had...  <_< The B/O was clearly annoyed by it as was I, but since there are no subways nearby and very few stores that sell Metrocards unfortunately it's a problem that occurs in Riverdale just the way it happens on Staten Island.  Some want the express buses to accept dollar bills at the least, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.  Maybe when smartcards come out some changes will happen.

I did that yesterday. I took the X28 and I paid the 6.00 in nickles. I stood at the fare box for 2 minutes. The b/o wasn't annoyed as the ppl behind me :)

I did that yesterday. I took the X28 and I paid the 6.00 in nickles. I stood at the fare box for 2 minutes. The b/o wasn't annoyed as the ppl behind me :)

As long as you pay the fare I couldn't give two f**ks what's used. Others aren't as forgiving.

That's insane... Don't you know what a Metrocard is?? I mean unless you are in a part of Southwest Brooklyn where there is no subway, it's pretty inexcusable and rude to do that and it's especially annoying when people get on in Manhattan and do that with all of the subways around.  A process that should take maybe 10 seconds gets drawn out into more like 5 minutes because then you have to put just a few coins in the slot at a time so as not to jam up the machine and so on. You're lucky I wasn't behind you. I usually start cursing and making a stink esp. if it's during the morning rush. 

That's insane... Don't you know what a Metrocard is?? I mean unless you are in a part of Southwest Brooklyn where there is no subway, it's pretty inexcusable and rude to do that and it's especially annoying when people get on in Manhattan and do that with all of the subways around.  A process that should take maybe 10 seconds gets drawn out into more like 5 minutes because then you have to put just a few coins in the slot at a time so as not to jam up the machine and so on. You're lucky I wasn't behind you. I usually start cursing and making a stink esp. if it's during the morning rush. 

Lmaoo its not that serious. Just have some patience. Usually when people do that, its because it was a last minute decision. I've experienced people using coins on the bus, but they always go to the back of the line. 

That's insane... Don't you know what a Metrocard is?? I mean unless you are in a part of Southwest Brooklyn where there is no subway, it's pretty inexcusable and rude to do that and it's especially annoying when people get on in Manhattan and do that with all of the subways around. A process that should take maybe 10 seconds gets drawn out into more like 5 minutes because then you have to put just a few coins in the slot at a time so as not to jam up the machine and so on. You're lucky I wasn't behind you. I usually start cursing and making a stink esp. if it's during the morning rush.

It's a good thing he didn't have pennies and just shot them all in. They aren't accepted but they can go through in just fine (just is a waste of space though).

In other words, I got good news

There was 13 people on the last inbound BM5 today.

Lmaoo its not that serious. Just have some patience. Usually when people do that, its because it was a last minute decision. I've experienced people using coins on the bus, but they always go to the back of the line. 

Actually it is depending on what bus you're on.  My express buses of late have been a good 20 - 30 minutes late between people holding up the bus with luggage, coins or not having their fare, wheelchairs and so on.  Add traffic delays to that and you could be almost an hour behind.  Riverdale has a high percentage of seniors that use the express buses, so it already can take a while to get them on the bus and seated.  

It's a good thing he didn't have pennies and just shot them all in. They aren't accepted but they can go through in just fine (just is a waste of space though).

In other words, I got good news

There was 13 people on the last inbound BM5 today.

That's good... The BxM4 I was on today had almost 20 riders on it going to Midtown... 

That's good... The BxM4 I was on today had almost 20 riders on it going to Midtown...

Kinda sounds hard to believe, but then again, the BxM4 runs to Midtown until like 9 PM, so the last bunch will even the average ridership it its regular ones. We need more BxM4's like that though.

Im tending to see a spike in ridership the last few QM15's to Manhattan. They would usually have like 2-3 riders, now I see 5-6 riders. Anyways, new riders is better for my routes.

The BM5 is a life savior though. I prefer taking that over the QM15.

Thats why I asked about paper transfers and anyway I have to use all them extra coins I have piling up :)

Kinda sounds hard to believe, but then again, the BxM4 runs to Midtown until like 9 PM, so the last bunch will even the average ridership it its regular ones. We need more BxM4's like that though.

I use the BxM4 a lot on the weekends now with my tutoring sessions.  That last stop gets good usage at times, and with the holidays and the warmer weather I've been seeing more folks getting on.  I can see also why they can't axe it.  Some that work or live near the Montefiore Complex use it and while it isn't heavily used along the Concourse, you have enough folks in Woodlawn that would scream and enough disabled and elderly folks along the Concourse that would also scream so they have to keep it.  

I was also surprised at how many folks commute using the BxM10... Morris Park is a draw but the real major draw is Albert Einstein/Montefiore complex.  You should see how many people that perhaps live in Manhattan use that bus to work at Albert Einstein.  It's a serious generator and with Montefiore expanding in the Bronx, any express bus routes that serve Montefiore locations will see increased usage.  I know Mount Sinai is another generator of express bus riders.  I see why too... All of these locations advertise the express buses:

http://www.einstein.yu.edu/about/our-community/

Thats why I asked about paper transfers and anyway I have to use all them extra coins I have piling up  :)

Yeah, you can still use them... Coins are accepted at the token booth stations and the Metrocard vending machine...  <_<