BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Bus service ISN'T going to improve UNTIL they CHANGE the rule that "drivers are paid to be late", PERIOD. 

Drivers should have to report traffic conditions or any hold ups and it must be verified by dispatchers, etc. Run times should be modified to make schedules tighter so drivers aren't running hot, but give local drivers 10-15mins at the end of runs and express bus drivers 20-25 mins so it doesn't ripple into the next run unless something severe happens. If a driver needs to take a personal, go ahead, but you're not getting paid extra for it, hopefully a dispatcher puts you in place depending on time of day where service is frequent enough. I can keep going on, because this is ridiculous. In Staten Island there's that express bus driver that takes the regular highway instead of the HOV lane to the city. How more disrespectful can you be?? Do you only care about yourself?? People have to get to work! You don't report to work late right?? Why would you make a whole bus 30-40 mins late?! I'm tired of the "i didn't know", or "i wasn't told that", all of the miscommunication between the depot and drivers and between the MTA and its passengers. 

If I was a driver, my #1 goal is to learn ALL routes and stops at my depot. That's the KEY component to your job. If you have a car, drive the routes on your free time, look at the posted schedules and routes in the depot AND on the MTA site as well, so you can see where riders are coming from instead of assuming everyone is lying. Know how to fully work all of the damn buses in the depot. My gosh there's a only a handful of excellent operators, a bunch are average that are just there to do the job and go home, and a lot just either can't drive in NYC conditions or don't care about providing good or fair service. 

I've had drivers in the SI group argue that there's ALWAYS traffic, which is BS.  The streets are not parking lots 24/7.  There are two problems with service these days around the City.  You have management looking to "stick it" to drivers, and if you're not in with management, watch out. I've seen it first hand.  I remember a driver getting into an accident on the BxM1. It was totally not his fault, but management comes and basically belittles him, then made a remark about how he earned more than they did which was totally unnecessary.  You have some drivers that give a damn, but at the same time excuse poor behavior of their colleagues.  There are also drivers that no matter what they are told will do as they please because they feel as if they can't be touched because they have the union backing their behavior.

One thing that I find inexcusable is drivers not checking their run sheets beforehand with the time points. There are some drivers that will do ANYTHING to limit their interaction with customers, so that means picking lines with less ridership or lines when ridership is lower at times.  That's fine, but don't run hot or try to avoid picking up passengers to do that.  I agree with everything else you have said. There's one driver that drives me nuts.  You board the express bus and it's pitch black. He doesn't even have the reading lights on and I'm pretty sure he was told how that goes because he's the only driver doing this.  Then when it's time to get off he has the lights on as they should be. 

I have a few drivers that I'm going to be speaking about in my upcoming meeting because I'm getting a LITANY of complaints about them. One is downright dangerous, closing the door on passengers on the BxM10. Another is on the BxM1 and I have heard numerous passengers complaining about him, and even I got into with him.  Started with him going the wrong damn way along the pick-up portion, so we were bypassed for DAYS in a row.  Finally I go to another stop and confront him about it and he has the nerve to tell me not to tell him how to do his job. Obviously you need to be told if you don't know which way to go, making people late to work. The other thing he does is call out stops that he hasn't reached yet confusing passengers, and he'll go ways that are KNOWN congestion spots.  Like dude you know what you're doing. You're not new.  The construction workers are pissed because he's the first bus of the morning on the BxM1 and he gets them down there late so they can't get breakfast and get set up, and other people say the same thing.  Worst of all he picked the same run this pick as well.

19 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I've had drivers in the SI group argue that there's ALWAYS traffic, which is BS.  The streets are not parking lots 24/7.  There are two problems with service these days around the City.  You have management looking to "stick it" to drivers, and if you're not in with management, watch out. I've seen it first hand.  I remember a driver getting into an accident on the BxM1. It was totally not his fault, but management comes and basically belittles him, then made a remark about how he earned more than they did which was totally unnecessary.  You have some drivers that give a damn, but at the same time excuse poor behavior of their colleagues.  There are also drivers that no matter what they are told will do as they please because they feel as if they can't be touched because they have the union backing their behavior.

One thing that I find inexcusable is drivers not checking their run sheets beforehand with the time points. There are some drivers that will do ANYTHING to limit their interaction with customers, so that means picking lines with less ridership or lines when ridership is lower at times.  That's fine, but don't run hot or try to avoid picking up passengers to do that.  I agree with everything else you have said. There's one driver that drives me nuts.  You board the express bus and it's pitch black. He doesn't even have the reading lights on and I'm pretty sure he was told how that goes because he's the only driver doing this.  Then when it's time to get off he has the lights on as they should be. 

I have a few drivers that I'm going to be speaking about in my upcoming meeting because I'm getting a LITANY of complaints about them. One is downright dangerous, closing the door on passengers on the BxM10. Another is on the BxM1 and I have heard numerous passengers complaining about him, and even I got into with him.  Started with him going the wrong damn way along the pick-up portion, so we were bypassed for DAYS in a row.  Finally I go to another stop and confront him about it and he has the nerve to tell me not to tell him how to do his job. Obviously you need to be told if you don't know which way to go, making people late to work. The other thing he does is call out stops that he hasn't reached yet confusing passengers, and he'll go ways that are KNOWN congestion spots.  Like dude you know what you're doing. You're not new.  The construction workers are pissed because he's the first bus of the morning on the BxM1 and he gets them down there late so they can't get breakfast and get set up, and other people say the same thing.  Worst of all he picked the same run this pick as well.

One word: DAYUM.

In all seriousness though, some of these drivers have nasty attitudes. If you dont want to interact with people why the hell did you get a job as a PUBLIC bus driver!?!

29 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That's another thing I hate with the management and all of this favoritism and seniority nonsense. There can be a 2 year driver doing their job better than someone 15+ years on the job. Experience doesn't mean anything anymore because jobs are getting competitive and the more relaxed you become the less you are to perfect your craft because you feel you're already at the top. 

Idk if this is a new trend I've been seeing, but I prefer female bus drivers over male bus drivers. I feel the females have more sympathy for their customers and care about their doing their job right, whereas most male drivers are too caught up in their ego thinking they can do whatever and people would have to bow down to them. That's why I don't even acknowledge most because they don't even look at me. 

Most male drivers don't even use their run sheets aka paddles. They know their departure time and everything is just drive from there. No it doesn't work like that or else there wouldn't be a paddle provided. I actually see female drivers marking their paddles, and they have it taped to the steering wheel. Very professional. Not all of course but it's more obvious with females than males. 

Even with these express buses. You drive a premium service, you should count who's getting on your bus so you know how many people are on the bus and how many seats are left, especially in Staten Island with all the overcrowding, give passengers a heads up. Where's the common sense and common courtesy?

Honestly what's the requirements to be a bus driver? Take a multiple choice test and just pass? High school diploma? Makes sense now...they hand those out now just for showing up to class...especially in public schools. 

Note: No disrespect to the good drivers, just know your coworkers are basic bus drivers. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

9 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

One word: DAYUM.

In all seriousness though, some of these drivers have nasty attitudes. If you dont want to interact with people why the hell did you get a job as a PUBLIC bus driver!?!

for the life of me, I can't understand how people can't grasp the fact that alot of people take the job of a MTA B/O for monetary purposes. it's a step up, especially if you've been a school bus driver or acess-a-ride (both of which I've done prior to MTA) It's unfortunate but not every solitary B/O is here working for the sheer "integrity" of the job. people take jobs for money, regardless of city/state, public or private sector. not saying it's right, but trust me, any run i do, i make it a mission to know who my leaders & followers are, rookie or otherwise, and what they're here for, to b.s. or to work. then i do my run accordingly. 

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

2 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

That's another thing I hate with the management and all of this favoritism and seniority nonsense. There can be a 2 year driver doing their job better than someone 15+ years on the job. Experience doesn't mean anything anymore because jobs are getting competitive and the more relaxed you become the less you are to perfect your craft because you feel you're already at the top. 

Idk if this is a new trend I've been seeing, but I prefer female bus drivers over male bus drivers. I feel the females have more sympathy for their customers and care about their doing their job right, whereas most male drivers are too caught up in their ego thinking they can do whatever and people would have to bow down to them. That's why I don't even acknowledge most because they don't even look at me. 

Most male drivers don't even use their run sheets aka paddles. They know their departure time and everything is just drive from there. No it doesn't work like that or else there wouldn't be a paddle provided. I actually see female drivers marking their paddles, and they have it taped to the steering wheel. Very professional. Not all of course but it's more obvious with females than males. 

Even with these express buses. You drive a premium service, you should count who's getting on your bus so you know how many people are on the bus and how many seats are left, especially in Staten Island with all the overcrowding, give passengers a heads up. Where's the common sense and common courtesy?

Honestly what's the requirements to be a bus driver? Take a multiple choice test and just pass? High school diploma? Makes sense now...they hand those out now just for showing up to class...especially in public schools. 

Note: No disrespect to the good drivers, just know your coworkers are basic human beings. 

You have to understand how this agency works. Some drivers try to be nice and are burned so they say f*** it and don't bother.  I'm only doing what I'm PAID to do and nothing more.  I have a buddy of mine who will NOT do OT because he says he doesn't want to be bothered getting into an accident and being liable for it, so he does his run and that's it. He doesn't say anything.  If a passenger comes on and doesn't pay, he just hits F5 and keeps it moving.  There are some guys that are great and really care and care about the passengers. Others are just miserable no matter what and some who feel entitled to do as they please. Basically like any other work environment, but I agree.

1 minute ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

for the life of me, I can't understand how people can't grasp the fact that alot of people take the job of a MTA B/O for monetary purposes. it's a step up, especially if you've been a school bus driver or acess-a-ride (both of which I've done prior to MTA) It's unfortunate but not every solitary B/O is here working for the sheer "integrity" of the job. people take jobs for money, regardless of city/state, public or private sector. noy saying it's right, but trust me, any run i do, i make it a mission to know who my leaders & followers are, rookie or otherwise, and what they're here for, to b.s. or to work. then i do my run accordingly. 

I definitely agree people only do it for the money, especially getting paid to cruise all day. Drivers with families who want to get in and get out are usually the most efficient. The ones who aren't in a rush to go home are normally the ones who are on their time and not the paying passengers time. Honestly I feel OT just shouldn't be given for arriving in late. If you want OT, do OT. You have an assigned pick, do that work. Traffic and any other hold ups are excused and you'll get paid. But it doesn't make sense for one bus to be 30 mins late, and that person's two followers get to the end before they do. That's unacceptable. 

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You have to understand how this agency works. Some drivers try to be nice and are burned so they say f*** it and don't bother.  I'm only doing what I'm PAID to do and nothing more.  I have a buddy of mine who will NOT do OT because he says he doesn't want to be bothered getting into an accident and being liable for it, so he does his run and that's it. He doesn't say anything.  If a passenger comes on and doesn't pay, he just hits F5 and keeps it moving.  There are some guys that are great and really care and care about the passengers. Others are just miserable no matter what and some who feel entitled to do as they please. Basically like any other work environment, but I agree.

i follow a similar philosophy, stemming from my rookie year. the less time you spend on the road, the better. personally, i only look for OT before i go on vacation, and even then, I'm shifting.

2 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

for the life of me, I can't understand how people can't grasp the fact that alot of people take the job of a MTA B/O for monetary purposes. it's a step up, especially if you've been a school bus driver or acess-a-ride (both of which I've done prior to MTA) It's unfortunate but not every solitary B/O is here working for the sheer "integrity" of the job. people take jobs for money, regardless of city/state, public or private sector. noy saying it's right, but trust me, any run i do, i make it a mission to know who my leaders & followers are, rookie or otherwise, and what they're here for, to b.s. or to work. then i do my run accordingly. 

Definitely true. And some guys don't give a damn if they're stuck in traffic, as long as they are paid, they could care less.  On the same token there are some passengers that truly feel entitled.  There's this guy who lives in my neighborhood. He would INSIST that the drivers stop in front of apartment complex which is basically in the middle of Henry Hudson Parkway. Some drivers refused saying it wasn't safe, so he'd file endless complaints arguing that he was disabled and it was late at night so he could be dropped off there.  Now he gets off at 227th and Henry Hudson Parkway and WALKS to his apartment like the rest of us do. Sure he has a cane but he's capable of walking.  I've seen people in far worse situations.

6 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

for the life of me, I can't understand how people can't grasp the fact that alot of people take the job of a MTA B/O for monetary purposes. it's a step up, especially if you've been a school bus driver or acess-a-ride (both of which I've done prior to MTA) It's unfortunate but not every solitary B/O is here working for the sheer "integrity" of the job. people take jobs for money, regardless of city/state, public or private sector. not saying it's right, but trust me, any run i do, i make it a mission to know who my leaders & followers are, rookie or otherwise, and what they're here for, to b.s. or to work. then i do my run accordingly. 

I understand what you mean, but constant attitudes, constant lateness, and then getting snappy when you ask something has got to stop. I know a driver who hates the public but goes out of his way to help people, make announcements, and then goes home. What's so hard about doing that?

Also @Via Garibaldi 8 some of the speakers on these Yonkers buses are terrible. Sounds like the PA system on the subway.

10 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

So basically there's no hope for public transportation in this city? Why do we even try? 

1 minute ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I definitely agree people only do it for the money, especially getting paid to cruise all day. Drivers with families who want to get in and get out are usually the most efficient. The ones who aren't in a rush to go home are normally the ones who are on their time and not the paying passengers time. Honestly I feel OT just shouldn't be given for arriving in late. If you want OT, do OT. You have an assigned pick, do that work. Traffic and any other hold ups are excused and you'll get paid. But it doesn't make sense for one bus to be 30 mins late, and that person's two followers get to the end before they do. That's unacceptable. 

Agreed. but, it's absolutely circumstancial. at the end of the day, fareboxes do have a way of telling the powers that be who's dragging their ass (intentionally late) and who's not. I've had instances where I've beaten my leader to the depot every night of a pick because they were looking to pad their run, and the following pick that run was changed or eliminated (100 street on the M101 to be specific) usually management pays more attention than they're given credit, but that's not to detract from you guys point. 

1 minute ago, Lawrence St said:

I understand what you mean, but constant attitudes, constant lateness, and then getting snappy when you ask something has got to stop. I know a driver who hates the public but goes out of his way to help people, make announcements, and then goes home. What's so hard about doing that?

Also @Via Garibaldi 8 some of the speakers on these Yonkers buses are terrible. Sounds like the PA system on the subway.

That depends on how loud they are turned up. I haven't had a problem of late since most guys I get keep the PA system at a reasonable level. I also haven't had too many issues with the Yonkers drivers. I either get ones that I know and speak and greet, etc. or ones that I just pay and keep it moving. For the most part, I can't stand the morning drivers I get because they are slow and I have to leave earlier to get to my office.  Even getting the 8:30 bus I am getting to my office late (10:30 two days in a row - ridiculous).

1 minute ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

So basically there's no hope for public transportation in this city? Why do we even try? 

No, I think some things are already changing. People will be people, but we have already made some strides. There were a number of things going on that I spoke with the (MTA) about that have changed. Dumping passengers off at 6th & 36th was one of them.  Buses going the wrong way... That's improved (outside of Staten Island).  Staten Island will be the hardest to deal with.  Too many politics involved.  They really should clean house on the island, but fat chance of that happening.

12 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

with all due respect, i can't stand people trying to talk to me, casual or purposeful, while I'm in motion. yes, I'm going to have a 'tude. a 39,500 lb vehicle and I'm responsible for life & limb, customers & myself. I'll give you my undivided when we stop, but otherwise unless it's an emergency, don't talk to me. the problem with this is that people are inconsiderate to B/O's, and don't take into account that the task being performed actually requires skill & attention to detail to operate safely.

2 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

with all due respect, i can't stand people trying to talk to me, casual or purposeful, while I'm in motion. yes, I'm going to have a 'tude. a 39,500 lb vehicle and I'm responsible for life & limb, customers & myself. I'll give you my undivided when we stop, but otherwise unless it's an emergency, don't talk to me. the problem with this is that people are inconsiderate to B/O's, and don't take into account that the task being performed actually requires skill & attention to detail to operate safely.

This is at the stop lmao. I never talk to drivers when they're in motion.

24 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Political pandering & malfeasance masqueraded as mindfulness for the marionettes that's supposed to be the beneficiaries of such services.....

I can't speak for any other city, but public transportation couldn't be anymore of a misnomer here in the (rotten) big apple...

A public transportation provider that marches to the beat of their own drum.... Imagine that.

14 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

Seems like we have the same personality.... I wouldn't have even prefaced that profession either.

I know I come across as unapproachable, but I actually don't mind helping people - when I'm not busy trying to perform/complete a task and/or are pondering something I have a deep enough interest in.... When I am busy though, my whole demeanor & attitude screams GTF away from me - down to my body language & body movements....

I don't know htf you b/o's do it... I couldn't work in the public sector.

58 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Political pandering & malfeasance masqueraded as mindfulness for the marionettes that's supposed to be the beneficiaries of such services.....

I can't speak for any other city, but public transportation couldn't be anymore of a misnomer here in the (rotten) big apple...

A public transportation provider that marches to the beat of their own drum.... Imagine that.

Seems like we have the same personality.... I wouldn't have even prefaced that profession either.

I know I come across as unapproachable, but I actually don't mind helping people - when I'm not busy trying to perform/complete a task and/or are pondering something I have a deep enough interest in.... When I am busy though, my whole demeanor & attitude screams GTF away from me - down to my body language & body movements....

I don't know htf you b/o's do it... I couldn't work in the public sector.

same here. i don't mind helping people. every job I've ever held involved some form of customer service skills & patience. I've grown into it, tbh. some b/o's are unreasonably impatient with customers or myself... until i show them my pass, THEN their demeanor changes. I've always been a supporter of treating everyone with respect, co-worker or not... unless you are unreasonable or disrespectful. I've stated in the past, i used to work for access-a-ride, and i pull their cards all the time for my grandmother, whenever they get outta line. 

Staten Island lies in close proximity to Newark Liberty International Airport, so why not have a LTD bus operate between the Forgotten Borough and New York's third major airport?

If such a route were to exist, I'd run it daily from Hylan Boulevard along Richmond Avenue via the Staten Island Mall, Goethals Bridge, NJ Turnpike, and US Highway 1, making limited stops on Staten Island and operating nonstop to the airport once it crosses into NJ. Now my question is, would it work?

The MTA created the M60 from scratch back in 1992 and now it's a very busy route, so I suppose something similar might happen with a new route between Staten Island and EWR...

29 minutes ago, lara8710 said:

Staten Island lies in close proximity to Newark Liberty International Airport, so why not have a LTD bus operate between the Forgotten Borough and New York's third major airport?

If such a route were to exist, I'd run it daily from Hylan Boulevard along Richmond Avenue via the Staten Island Mall, Goethals Bridge, NJ Turnpike, and US Highway 1, making limited stops on Staten Island and operating nonstop to the airport once it crosses into NJ. Now my question is, would it work?

The MTA created the M60 from scratch back in 1992 and now it's a very busy route, so I suppose something similar might happen with a new route between Staten Island and EWR...

One big problem with this is the fact the Staten Island is too far relative to the rest of the city (depending on where you are). I dont think too many folks are willing to venture from say Far Rockaway to Staten Island or from St Albans when they can just goto JFK..

I'd assume that if you have money to fly you'll just catch a cab or Amtrak train to Newark..

8 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

pfft.... I'm not sure how young you are fam, but you aint escaping ratchetry once you start navigating on these roads, that's for damn sure :lol::lol:

How's the parking?

Not that I was exactly excited to be driving into Manhattan in general, but parking woes was the main deterrent that kept me from doing so when I worked in the 'Village..... I wasn't waking up & leaving all crazy times of the morning for an 8am job for a 45 min. or so drive to find a spot to park either.....

bugs-bunny-florida-animated-gif.gif

Approaching 22 this year

Listen among the caribbeans on the B46 with their shopping carts, to the broke ass folks walking on through the back doors, to the bold broke n*ggas asking people for their SBS receipts ( I had this one coon FOLLOW me into the store TO ASK for my receipt) I've had enough...

1 hour ago, lara8710 said:

Wasn't the M60 created as a spur of the Bx15?

3 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Wasn't the M60 created as a spur of the Bx15?

The M60 was it's own route between Harlem and LaGuardia. 

The only other name it has ever had before was Q49 before changed to m60 shortly before implementation.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

54 minutes ago, Jdog14 said:

One big problem with this is the fact the Staten Island is too far relative to the rest of the city (depending on where you are). I dont think too many folks are willing to venture from say Far Rockaway to Staten Island or from St Albans when they can just goto JFK..

I'd assume that if you have money to fly you'll just catch a cab or Amtrak train to Newark..

So that proposal can just be scrapped.

Now that brings me here--though the S74/84 and S78 already serve Bricktown Mall, their respective corridors leave a gap in bus service along Amboy Road. Although Amboy Road lies more or less parallel to the SIR, most stations along the SIR aren't ADA accessible, and given the presence of Tottenville HS on Luten Avenue and Monsignor Ferrell HS at Tysens Lane, there could be some decent ridership from students traveling to and from their classes. However, I'm not so sure if a bus along Amboy Road could work in the same manner as routes like the B25 along Fulton Street, the B37 along Third Avenue, the Q56 along Jamaica Avenue, or the Q60 along Queens Boulevard.

Edited by lara8710

6 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

What is that F5 button for? Was it for when students come aboard back when there wasn’t a student MetroCard?