BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

Why do buses have on their blinkers once they return to the depot?

We're supposed to have on our 4-way flashers when on the depot grounds. They're also to be used when there is a ramp line for fueling as we have to wait on the street.

18 hours ago, TyBusLover1 said:

Thanks man! You have no idea how much you’ve changed my life😹

Like puns are gonna work tbh...He's right though...Idk how you're gonna make a worse joke after an already dry one.

On 1/29/2024 at 11:07 PM, SoSpectacular said:

We're supposed to have on our 4-way flashers when on the depot grounds. They're also to be used when there is a ramp line for fueling as we have to wait on the street.

Question, why do I keep seeing random buses with flashing clearance lights?

1 hour ago, Brillant93 said:

Does anyone know how badly the private bus companies were before the MTA took them over? Was always curious as to why I rarely seen those kinds of buses around the city unlike the NYCT buses. 

The private lines were managed by several companies under the supervision of NYCDOT. They were hit or miss depending on who was handling what. Queens Surface, Triboro Coach, Jamaica Buses and Green Lines were all in Queens, Brooklyn had Command and Manhattan/Bronx had New York Bus Service and Liberty Lines. They were all once separate but most of them were eventually controlled by larger private entities. To be honest, Green Lines, Triboro and Jamaica had some of the most raggedy-looking buses growing up. Queens Surface and Command were pretty good with their maintenance. Never spent much time in Manhattan and Bronx as a kid but NYBS and Liberty Lines' equipment also looked pretty decent to me.

32 minutes ago, SoSpectacular said:

The private lines were managed by several companies under the supervision of NYCDOT. They were hit or miss depending on who was handling what. Queens Surface, Triboro Coach, Jamaica Buses and Green Lines were all in Queens, Brooklyn had Command and Manhattan/Bronx had New York Bus Service and Liberty Lines. They were all once separate but most of them were eventually controlled by larger private entities. To be honest, Green Lines, Triboro and Jamaica had some of the most raggedy-looking buses growing up. Queens Surface and Command were pretty good with their maintenance. Never spent much time in Manhattan and Bronx as a kid but NYBS and Liberty Lines' equipment also looked pretty decent to me.

I remember slightly how when I used to go into queens back in the day I would see some horrible rts’. I often wondered why queens had a lot more private bus routes? 

I remember slightly how when I used to go into queens back in the day I would see some horrible rts’. I often wondered why queens had a lot more private bus routes? 

Keep in mind that almost all (if not all) public transport in New York City was operated by private agencies/corporations that over time, found themselves increasingly unable to continue operations due to funding/money issues and the city slowly gained control of these operations. The MTA was created in the 1950s by the state to consolidate these operations under one umbrella. The Queens companies just managed to survive throughout the decades.

11 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

That’s when the money was running dry. By the time the takeover happened a decent portion of the fleets at most PBL depots were 20 year and older. 
I remember buses breaking down all the time, and I remember how routes like the Q60 were very notorious for missing runs, bunching and being slow. Fast forward many years later and I would say all MTA Bus depots have good/decent maintenance including JFK & LGA depots. It’s just a shame those two depots are typically the dumping ground for old buses before they retire. 

15 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

That’s when the money was running dry. By the time the takeover happened a decent portion of the fleets at most PBL depots were 20 year and older. 
I remember buses breaking down all the time, and I remember how routes like the Q60 were very notorious for missing runs, bunching and being slow. Fast forward many years later and I would say all MTA Bus depots have good/decent maintenance including JFK & LGA depots. It’s just a shame those two depots are typically the dumping ground for old buses before they retire. 

Interesting you mentioned the last part because anyone remember a few years ago before the pandemic where there was a scandal about the MTA dumping old buses into Brooklyn and the outer areas of the city i.e poorer neighborhoods? I remember on this forum it was some sort of thing mentioned how they usually get newer buses to the northern boroughs first and trickle them down. I'm not someone who is knowledgeable about the inner workings of how fleet of buses are distributed but I couldn't help but think the MTA shot themselves in the foot for that. 

10 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

Keep in mind that almost all (if not all) public transport in New York City was operated by private agencies/corporations that over time, found themselves increasingly unable to continue operations due to funding/money issues and the city slowly gained control of these operations. The MTA was created in the 1950s by the state to consolidate these operations under one umbrella. The Queens companies just managed to survive throughout the decades.

The part you mentioned that our transit was a bunch of private companies before, it really bothers me when transit enthusiast, especially people who have a political intention behind themselves will say how the U.S. was good at building transit years ago but don't remember or even take into account it was private companies who built them. Really puts into insight on how much our transit agencies is filled with nothing but bureaucrats who will use transit against its intended purpose. I put it like this, would the Jamaica bus depot go through so much trouble to be rebuilt had it been a regular company instead of a transit agency? This isn't to make an argument for privatize transit vs public (its not) but the more I look into our transit issues in the states, it seem more of an issue about politics than capability. 

43 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

Interesting you mentioned the last part because anyone remember a few years ago before the pandemic where there was a scandal about the MTA dumping old buses into Brooklyn and the outer areas of the city i.e poorer neighborhoods? I remember on this forum it was some sort of thing mentioned how they usually get newer buses to the northern boroughs first and trickle them down.

If you was talking about this than yes I vividly remembering seeing this pop up on the news 

I put it like this, would the Jamaica bus depot go through so much trouble to be rebuilt had it been a regular company instead of a transit agency? This isn't to make an argument for privatize transit vs public (its not) but the more I look into our transit issues in the states, it seem more of an issue about politics than capability. 

It's never good when politics bleed into civil services because its mostly about money, not the people.

1 hour ago, JoshTheScrub said:

If you was talking about this than yes I vividly remembering seeing this pop up on the news 

It's never good when politics bleed into civil services because its mostly about money, not the people.

Agreed, I just really hate the narrative how much America used to have good transit but never really see how much that its not really our transit but its our politics. 

Edit: I also wanted to say this. Our last governor was a prime example of this, there were lots of effort for the L train shutdown before the pandemic and I recall the MTA made a lot of strides for a bus network to help transport people from Manhattan to Brooklyn. The governor really derailed a lot of the plans in which the city already made changes to the streets and other projects to help transport people for vital repair. There was also a plan to demolish another bus depot in queens to make way to build an Air Train from the far end of queens to LGA, which wasn't feasible at all, nevertheless it would have made bus logistics hard since the Jamaica bus depot was in the planning stage to also be demolished. 

From what I have seen in the past is that the MTA is full of bureaucracy and it hinders the MTA a lot. 

Edited by Brillant93