BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

3661, 3716, 3722, 3752 JFK are all likely retired. Can someone confirm information?

3661 hasn’t ran since January 29th 
3716  hasn’t ran since January 26th 
3722 hasn’t ran since January 26th 
3753 hasn’t ran since January 24th

Edited by poopybutt123

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

Interesting you mentioned the last part because anyone remember a few years ago before the pandemic where there was a scandal about the MTA dumping old buses into Brooklyn and the outer areas of the city i.e poorer neighborhoods? I remember on this forum it was some sort of thing mentioned how they usually get newer buses to the northern boroughs first and trickle them down. I'm not someone who is knowledgeable about the inner workings of how fleet of buses are distributed but I couldn't help but think the MTA shot themselves in the foot for that. 

Wasn’t that whole thing just some political ploy to get the RTS’s to retire? I thought it bogus because each borough got its fair share of new buses between 2011 and 2019. 
ENY at the time already had a ton of XD40s, Jamaica already had 2015/2016 LFS’s, Ulmer Park had XD40’s and Quill which also had RTS’s had routes run through a lot of wealthy neighborhoods and were running on routes like the M66 and M72. 
Meanwhile nothing was said about ECH getting hand me downs for years. JFK & LGA collectively retired out a couple of fleets since takeover. Does anyone remember when JFK received the 1999-2001 D40HF’s and because they were in such bad shape they had to be transferred back to the city? But if those D60HF’s were known to be in bad shape why transfer them over? 

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Wasn’t that whole thing just some political ploy to get the RTS’s to retire? I thought it bogus because each borough got its fair share of new buses between 2011 and 2019. 
ENY at the time already had a ton of XD40s, Jamaica already had 2015/2016 LFS’s, Ulmer Park had XD40’s and Quill which also had RTS’s had routes run through a lot of wealthy neighborhoods and were running on routes like the M66 and M72. 
Meanwhile nothing was said about ECH getting hand me downs for years. JFK & LGA collectively retired out a couple of fleets since takeover. Does anyone remember when JFK received the 1999-2001 D40HF’s and because they were in such bad shape they had to be transferred back to the city? But if those D60HF’s were known to be in bad shape why transfer them over? 

I'm pretty sure that was meant more to prep JFK for its own artics than anything else.

I think the highlighted 4 was supposed to be a 6. Touch screen shenanigans, perhaps?

8 minutes ago, Lex said:

I'm pretty sure that was meant more to prep JFK for its own artics than anything else.

I think the highlighted 4 was supposed to be a 6. Touch screen shenanigans, perhaps?

Nah. He's right.

Those first batch of D60s had a ton of problems when they got to MTA Bus that they ended up being swapped out for the 2002-2003 batch.

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

They didn't at first. Their problems arose months after. Their reliability tanked and the breakdowns just kept coming. Then, they started sending better buses from that batch. Reliability got better for a while, then it went back down again. It was around January-March of 2014 where things got much worse, which then prompted the swap for the 2003 D60HFs.

3 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I don't know all about that, but I do know peeping on here years ago Brooklyn was always the borough or one of the boroughs to send buses to before they retired. That sort of thing was asking for a scandal, sending old buses to certain neighborhoods doesn't sit right with political leaders, especially when the fleet is more homogenized. But I do understand that the old private bus lines and depots needed older buses, even to this day. 

9 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

The part you mentioned that our transit was a bunch of private companies before, it really bothers me when transit enthusiast, especially people who have a political intention behind themselves will say how the U.S. was good at building transit years ago but don't remember or even take into account it was private companies who built them. Really puts into insight on how much our transit agencies is filled with nothing but bureaucrats who will use transit against its intended purpose. I put it like this, would the Jamaica bus depot go through so much trouble to be rebuilt had it been a regular company instead of a transit agency? This isn't to make an argument for privatize transit vs public (its not) but the more I look into our transit issues in the states, it seem more of an issue about politics than capability. 

Politics. That's all it is. Private companies are free to do as they wish, since they manage their own money, but don't get much or any outside funding like a public service would. Once taxpayer dollars get thrown into the mix it's a squabble over what to do with it, how it should be spent and who it should go to.

7 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

Agreed, I just really hate the narrative how much America used to have good transit but never really see how much that its not really our transit but its our politics. 

Edit: I also wanted to say this. Our last governor was a prime example of this, there were lots of effort for the L train shutdown before the pandemic and I recall the MTA made a lot of strides for a bus network to help transport people from Manhattan to Brooklyn. The governor really derailed a lot of the plans in which the city already made changes to the streets and other projects to help transport people for vital repair. There was also a plan to demolish another bus depot in queens to make way to build an Air Train from the far end of queens to LGA, which wasn't feasible at all, nevertheless it would have made bus logistics hard since the Jamaica bus depot was in the planning stage to also be demolished. 

From what I have seen in the past is that the MTA is full of bureaucracy and it hinders the MTA a lot. 

The depot in question was Casey Stengel.

1 hour ago, JoshTheScrub said:

Now just imagine CS running all them LGA routes or having to move all them routes to other depots, it would be a weird mess 

Probably was gonna be a weird mess. The last governor was really going to make the MTA run like chickens with their heads cut off. 

22 minutes ago, poopybutt123 said:

3802 last ran January 26th

3822 last ran January 25th 

3860 last ran January 31st 

4145 last ran December 28th 

According to Calvin 3802&3822 are both retired. Don’t know for sure about 3860 or 4145 but, I suspect that 4145 is retired or is in long term maintenance because it hasn’t ran since late December.

On 2/7/2024 at 9:42 PM, TyBusLover1 said:

According to Calvin 3802&3822 are both retired. Don’t know for sure about 3860 or 4145 but, I suspect that 4145 is retired or is in long term maintenance because it hasn’t ran since late December.

Swing (break room) or indicator bus at JFK. Indicator is like a obstacle to tell that it's around one of the buses that are retired from service not to use. 

5 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

The accordion joint is probably not too difficult to replace but the bus is 13 years old at this point. Who knows maybe a frankenstein may occur? 

It’s not 13 years old yet more like 11-12 but yeah… it looks like it will be out awhile.